• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,425 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,425

Chapters Next
Nothing Stays the Same

"And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend; legend became myth."

-Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings


Many, Many Years Ago...

‘Discord is strong… his magic is more advanced than yours.’ Honesty’s words rang through Celestia’s head as she twisted away from a blast Discord sent at her. He sensed Celestia’s panic build and let out a sigh. ‘But… he is not all powerful. There is a chance.’

‘You have to continue on; you owe it to your subjects to give all you can, even your life,’ Generosity said nobly, her non-corporal form hovering around solar princess. ‘The greatest gift you can give them is their freedom.’

‘Totally!’ Loyalty proclaimed. If he had a chest he would have been puffing it out like a peacock. ‘He might be stronger but that won’t stop you! Everyone is counting on you! You can’t let them down!’

‘Discord is a meanie pants even if he doesn’t wear pants. The cotton candy is kinda funny, though...’ Laughter giggled. Celestia rolled her eyes and the abstract quickly added, ‘But hurting ponies isn’t funny at all, so we should stop him!’

‘That’s right,’ Kindness said; her voice gentle but firm, urging the princess to hold strong. ‘You can do it Celestia… we can do it. We can’t let Discord win… we can’t let him hurt any other pony. That is what matters… making sure no pony is ever hurt again.’

Celestia twisted towards Luna, who was doing all she could avoid the swarm of monkey bees (one of Discord’s stranger creations). All those words flowed through her head, urging her on… but that did her little good. Because even though she had their encouragement, that did little to protect her from the deadly spells and chaos magic that was lashing out all around her, trying to take her body and soul. She could see it in Luna’s eyes and knew the same look was shining from her own: fear.

They knew they couldn’t win.

‘Yes you can,’ a new voice whispered.

Celestia and Luna both felt a sixth presence join with the other five. They had used the ancient magics of their mother to call upon the five elements that best represented harmony, in hopes that the peaceful magic would be able to counter Discord’s magic. Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity and Laughter… the five things that represented friendship and love and togetherness… all things Discord was against (save laughter but even then his type of laughter did not match theirs… his was the laughter of one against another and theirs was laughter shared by all).

But this… they had not expected this 6th element to appear.

Celestia could feel the other elements shifting with unease as the 6th joined them. Though she could not hear actual words, she knew they were communicating with this final abstract, trying to discern why he had come. In fact, if she didn’t know any better, she’d think they were actually bickering with each other!

‘We are,’ the new element whispered. ‘They don’t like baby brother coming in to help… especially when I am not invited.’

‘Brother?’ Celestia thought back. Abstracts had families?

A bolt of chaos magic nearly burned her mane off.

‘We can discuss it later. You’ll need my power along with theirs to defeat Discord. I am here to help… all believe in you Celestia. Luna stands by your side because she knows the two of you can do this. Your subjects and this country watch the skies and there is not a single one that doesn’t believe in you. You have lost family to Discord and they have fallen knowing you will succeed. Take my power and together we will defeat him. Now is the time to rise…and now is the time to fight!’

It was these words, more than all others, that compelled Celestia to fight back. But even as she began to weave the spell that would merge the power of the elements, a final question rose in her mind. ‘What are you?’

‘Faith,’ the final element stated. ‘I am Faith.’

~MC~MC~MC~

Discord would fall. That much is known. It is taught to all foals and is celebrated throughout Equestria. The Princesses, along with the Elements of Harmony, had defeated him and turned the beast to stone. All praised the princesses and help the elements in their hearts: Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity, Honesty, Laughter…

…and the final one.

The lost one.

For Celestia was the only one to know his name; even Luna never learned of the final element that had come to their aid, for he had not been called but arrived on his own, in the hour of need. The solar princess held the power of his name and, in a moment she would look upon as one of her greatest mistakes… would find herself doubting that any but herself could wield the powers of the elements. It was an understandable mistake, one none could fault her for… and yet the ramifications would haunt Equestria for years to come.

The 6th Elements name was hidden… and as time went on even Celestia… even his fellow abstracts… forgot his name. So too did the element himself; his purpose taken and his identity ripped away. Lost and abandoned, he found another like himself: Luna, the Princess of the Night. Together in the darkness they would lean upon each other. It would be the 6th element that would encourage her to rise up and show Celestia that there was an equal to her power. He did this in hopes that Celestia would reveal his name to herself and to Luna… and he would regain his self-worth.

But he was betrayed.

Luna became Nightmare Moon and the final element found himself facing down his friend, forced to take away his protection from her and leave her at the mercy of Celestia. He fled in horror and as the years went by he slowly began to fade. But where he should have died… something amazing happened. Obsession drove him and the final element found a new role for him to play. As for his name, he chose the emotion that had started it all.

He became Doubt.

His brothers and sisters watched as the twisted abstract tampered with the lives of many ponies but were powerless to stop him. He remembered him not as their brother but as merely another abstract and thus their words and pleas meant nothing to him. And thus it was that they became enemies, turned upon one another.

Then… Doubt was reborn. Twilight Sparkle, who fell into the darkest pits of despair, rose up with the help of friendship and love. And it was her, the wielder of Doubt’s power, who rediscovered his name. And so it was that Faith rose once more, returned to his prior role, while the unicorn that had held his power became an alicorn.

Faith had returned.

But it was already too late.

~MC~MC~MC~

Twilight was practically skipping down the road. The smile she wore was so big that Pinkie would have become green with envy at the sight of it. Of course, Pinkie wouldn't be able to stay made for long, as Twilight planned to wrap her friend up in a tight hug and not let go the moment she saw her. Unless, of course, she was already hugging Applejack or Rarity or Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy...

The lavender alicorn's wings fluttered a bit, adding a bit of lift to her skips. In fact, it would be better to say that she was trying to keep her hooves on the ground; she felt like leaping about and crying out in glee. She was a foal on Hearth's Warming Day spying a mountain of presents next to the Hearth Shrine, filled with energy and joy.

The two months had done her wonders. When she had left Ponyville she had been so unsure of herself and her place in the world. After her brother's almost wedding and the changeling attack Twilight had fallen into despair. Those negative feelings had led her to embrace that darkness within her and led her down a dark path.... and to Doubt, the fallen 6th Element of Harmony. The abstract had guided her and given her power to embrace her wild side and, truth be told, she had loved it.

Then had come her elevation and Doubt taking physical form. Twilight had been free from her friends influence and with the power her and Doubt held, the two had been ready to take on the world.

Except her friends, her wonderful friends, had come to her and reaffirmed their connection to her. Things hadn't instantly healed themselves but at least they had managed to clear the air.

Things had been caught up in a whirlwind after that. Doubt, his spirit already dying, began to rapidly fade. The revelation of his true name had returned him to his original form, as that of Faith. The spell to save him had reduced much of Twilight's alicorn strength; making her look much like her old unicorn self, save with wings.

It was around that time that Twilight decided she needed a holiday. So much had happened in 3 days and she hadn't been able to catch her breath. Her friends and family had supported the decision and Twilight, along with Spike and Faith, had journeyed across the sea. They had found a small island and spent weeks in isolation. Each had used the time to learn new things about themselves and find a peace that all needed.

But now she was back and Twilight felt so excited to see everyone again.

"Twilight, could you stop bouncing up and down? I'm going to get sea sick," Spike complained.

"But we aren't on the sea, Spike." Twilight did, however, shift into a trot. "Do you think they'll have a party waiting for us?"

"I hope so... I mean, the seastone on that island were nice but I could really go for one of Pinkie's cupcakes."

"I want an apple... a fresh, juicy apple." Twilight murmured in delight at the thought of one of Sweet Apple Acre's wonderful apples.

"Twilight?"

"Yeah Spike?"

"It's good to be home."

"Yeah... it really is."

The two lapsed into silence. They had been walked for two days, having left the ship at Bridle Bay and deciding they wanted to enjoy the sights and smells of the mother country, rather than teleport. Twilight, though now powerful beyond measure, had found that with the ability to be anywhere the desire to do things the simple way had grown strong in her heart. Where once she would have used magic to carry things she now did it the old fashion way... it just seemed right. To use her strength and magic on frivolous tasks was... an insult to the black and white magic that now swirled within her.

"What the heck?" Spike said, clamoring up Twilight's head and pointing at a strange structure that blocked the road. "What is that?"

"It's a toll booth!" Twilight said in surprise. "What the heck is a toll booth doing on this road?" They were traveling down the main path to Ponyville; to have a toll booth here was unheard of.

To see several large pegasi with unnaturally brilliant coats manning it left the two with wide eyes.

To see the guards viciously assaulting a pony who lay curled up in a ball had Twilight seeing red.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!" Twilight bellowed, using her magic to project her voice. The guards turned, their slanty eyes shining darkly as they took in the small alicorn. "Why are you assaulting this pony? Have you forgotten your duty? Princess Celestia will have your armor-"

"Where the hay have you been?" one of the dark pegasi snapped. "You been sleeping under a rock?"

"I have been traveling," Twilight said coldly. "Now... tell me why I shouldn't report you at once to the Princess."

Several guards snickered and their apparently leader made his way towards her. "The princesses have been relieved of their duties. The Queens rule now and they don't take kindly to filth like this one."

"The queens?" Spike questioned. "Are you crazy?"

"You watch your mouth!" one guard snapped. "We don't take kindly to rudeness here in Equestria. If you want to go against Harmony I suggest you turn and flee back across the ocean."

"Yeah... how about a big fat no?" Twilight flared out her wings. "Tell me... do you know who I am?"

"A rude, mouthy little pegasus with a fake horn plastered on her head."

Twilight smiled as white and black magic began to swirl around her. "Close and yet so far. I am Twilight Sparkle, former student of Princess Celestia." Her mane began to billow, elongating as it became pure energy. Within it many shooting stars raced along as the flow grew darker. "And, as of 2 months ago, the Alicorn of the Stars." Twilight's magic flared out. "But not just any stars... shooting stars." Twilight lowered her head and smirked. "As in wishing stars. You know… the magical ones."

The guards twitched, suddenly finding themselves rooted in place.

"Having trouble? Maybe that's because I wished you'd all freeze in place and not move until I am a good 30 minutes away." Twilight moved among the statuesque pegasi, her magic slowly withdrawing back within her. She approached the moaning pony that guards had been striking. "Don't worry, they won't-"

Twilight's world suddenly shifted and all she could see was the trembling unicorn stallion that lay before her, his white coat matted with blood. His eyes were nearly sealed shut and his ribs jutted out at awkward angles against his sides. And yet... the poor creature still managed a smile as he gazed upon her, blood streaming from the sockets where teeth had once been rooted.

"Twiley..."

"Shiny..." Twilight whispered, before falling to the ground, tears in her eyes. "Shiny... by the Creator, what happened to you?"

"What happened was he got what he deserved for betraying the Queens and trying to sow disharmony!" one of the guards called out.

Twilight's eyebrow twitched and she slowly turned her head, black magic rolling off of her in waves even as her white magic wrapped around her brother, soothing his pain like a mother hen would comfort her chick. "And you call beating him to near death harmonious?"

"He deserves what he gets and more!" another guard snapped, struggling to move. "To go against the Elements of Harmony is to be against Equestria. The Elements ARE Equestria and all traitors are to be eliminated. Harmony must be preserved!"

"Funny," Twilight said. She never raised her voice and that was more chilling than any scream. That was the terrifying part… the quiet pitch of her voice. "I happen to be the final Element of Harmony... the Element of Faith." Twilight began to rise in the air, her right eye turning pure white while the left darkened to the deepest of obsidian. “Does that mean my word is law?”

"Twiley... don't," Shining Armor croaked out.

"Are you kidding?" Spike exclaimed, speaking up for the first time since stumbling about the thugs. "They were beating you to a pulp!"

"They... they can't control themselves... the Queens are using magic..."

Twilight nodded to herself. "Good thing I'm very magical." Dark tendrils lashed out and the pegasi guards let out screams as Twilight's magic struck them. The alicorn flinched slightly, her face screwing up in concentration before the guards fell, their colors dulling slightly to more natural tones. "All power... but whoever cast the spell lacks finesse." She focused and the guards disappeared in a flash of white light.

"Did you vaporize them?" Spike asked.

"Of course not!" Twilight said aghast. "I merely sent them to the island we were on so they could recover."

"... so you most likely vaporized them."

"Shut up," Twilight said, making another silent wish and healing Shining Armor. The unicorn slowly stood up, startled at how good he felt after the hours of agony. "Shiny... we need to talk."

Chapters Next