• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,421 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,421

PreviousChapters Next
The Battle for Equestria Part 2

“Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?”

-Discord


They had been expecting many different things.

When Honesty, Celestia and Luna had flown towards Rarity's penthouse, they had braced themselves for a fight. They knew that at least one of the Queens had to be in there, watching over the warring factions. The sisters had been prepared to use whatever they needed, be it words or physical attacks, to remove the abstracts from the two mares. Then it would be Honesty's turn; the red abstract had been gearing himself up for a long battle with his sisters that would see them hurting each other despite what they wanted.

It would be a cruel, painful battle. It would be filled with hurtful words and broken hearts. There would be blood and there would be tears. There was no doubt in any of the three's minds that this is what was waiting for them.

But the broken forms of Kindness, Fluttershy and Rarity were not at all the opponents they had been expecting.

"Princess..." Fluttershy whispered, before hurrying over to toppled chair and hiding behind it, her long tail flicking back and forth in agitation. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." Fluttershy whimpered, repeating the same reframe over and over until it became the chorus to the depressing scene the alicorn sisters found before them.

"Fluttershy?" Celestia said softly, approaching with caution. Laughter's trap was still fresh in her memory and thus she made her way towards the trembling mare with a small amount of trepidation. Her horn lit up and she gently pushed the chair aside, looking down at Fluttershy. The mare was attempting to curl herself into a tight little ball and whimpered when Celestia reached over and brushed her mane. "Fluttershy, what-"

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry," Fluttershy said over and over.

Honesty, meanwhile, was staring at his sister in surprise. "Kindness... I don't understand... how are...?"

"Fluttershy opened my eyes," Kindness said, tears in her eyes. "She made me see we were wrong." Kindness shuddered. "But Doubt made me truly understand just how wrong we all were."

"Doubt?" Luna said, glancing up at the battle overhead. "What did Doubt-"

"We have sinned!" Rarity wailed. She fell to her back, one foreleg resting on her forehead. "We attempted to reach greatness but our wings were made of wax and we fell to the dark sea!"

Celestia's mouth was set in a firm line. "Then you see what you did wrong? You understand how your actions hurt your fellow ponies."

"Yes," Fluttershy said softly.

"We... we are so sorry," Kindness said, crawling to her brother and wrapping her forelegs around his own. "Please... please forgive me brother."

"Yes," Rarity said, sniffing back tears. "You must forgive us! We see now-"

"No," Celestia said sternly.

The three crying alicorns blinked in surprise. Luna and Honesty did too, startled by the harshness of Celestia's denial.

"Sister?" Luna said slowly.

Celestia looked upon the three alicorns, her eyes narrowed. "I am glad you now see the error of your ways. But begging for me to forgive you will not earn you the redemption you seek." She gestured towards the city. "While it is true that you were led astray by Doubt these are still the fruits of your actions. Just as I was guilty of abandoning Twilight and allowing her to fall into darkness, so are you guilty of your actions." Her face softened just a touch. "Begging for forgiveness will not earn you it."

"Then w-what must we do?" Kindness stammered.

It was Fluttershy who first realized what Celestia was getting at. "Make things right." She slowly rose, her legs a bit wobbly from her crying jag. "Its just like with Twilight or when any of our friends are upset with us... it means nothing if we just ask apologize. We have to make things right... Rainbow Dash would say that actions speak louder than words." Taking in a deep breath, the buttercream mare that so many pegged as being a coward bravely stepped towards her princess, looking her dead in the eye. "What can I do to help?"

Celestia smiled. "Doubt has taken control of the ponies that were brainwashed by you Queens. I am hoping that by combining your magic with the rest of your friends, you'll be able to free them and end this battle."

Fluttershy nodded her head, turning towards Rarity. "We need to fix this."

"Yes," Rarity said, shuddering slightly. She took a step forward and shrank before their eyes, splitting into two ponies: one the alicorn Rarity all had been talking to moments before, and another who seemed to be made from white gold, her wings encrusted with millions of gems that were forever falling at her feet like raindrops. She walked over to Kindness and helped her up before turning to Honesty.

"What now, brother?" Generosity asked.

"Now?" He looked skyward. "Now we go stand by our little brother... and we defeat this Doubt as a family."

"I will join you," Luna said, eyes flashing with magic. "Sister, you bring the rage of the sun... I will bring the coldness of night itself."

Celestia spread her wings. "Into the breach then."

And with that, the alicorns rejoined the battle.

~MC~MC~MC~

Spike twisted in the air, catching the Doctor just before he crashed through a window. "Thank you, Spike!" The Doctor said with a smile. "Afraid I am not quite use to these wings yet."

"You can thank me after we survive," Spike said, batting away a few earth ponies that had rushed them. The Doctor, Trixie, and Pinkie Pie had ended up on the street, trying their best to knock out the unicorns that were firing anti-flyer spells at the rebellion. It was difficult, as not only was their small group outnumbered 100 to 1, but each of them were forcing themselves to not use their full strength; Spike especially realized that a good swipe of his claw could behead an innocent pony.

"They just keep coming and coming and coming and coming and coming-" Pinkie grabbed her own head and banged her forehead against the ground. "oooooo... sorry about that, I got stuck in a loop."

Trixie glanced up, a dash of worry appearing on her face as she watched Faith and Doubt trade blows. One of the mob tried to take advantage of her distraction, only to be rewarded with a face full of magic for their trouble. Trixie leapt up, eyes glowing as she fired out a barrage of spells. Magical rope and magician's boxes appeared, ensnaring the ponies and trapping them nice and tight.

"Are you ok?" The Doctor asked, ducking a blow from one of the brainwashed stallions. He normally didn't like to fight but in situations like these he was willing to get his hooves dirty for the greater good.

"Fine," Trixie said, once more glancing skyward before turning to lead the charge at a battalion of unicorns.

"You want to be up there, don't you?" Spike asked. He grabbed a door and threw it in the way of a blast that had been heading toward Flim, giving his a salute before continuing.

"Of course," Trixie said, twisting around and bucking a unicorn mare that was trying to sneak up on her. "But that doesn't mean I HAVE to be up there." She smiled slightly as she paused, watching their targets try and mount a counterattack. "Besides, I am right where I need to be: taking care of these problems so Faith doesn't have to worry about them."

"A good way to think about it," The Doctor said, powering up his horn. "I have found that more battles have been won because of the actions of those off to the side than those of the heroes."

Trixie nodded. "And I don't need to worry about Faith... Twilight knows if she lets him get hurt she will answer to me." She narrowed her eyes and smirked. "Now then... let's take care of these fools."

And with that she charged in, the rest of her team hot on her hooves.

~MC~MC~MC~

Faith lashed out, grabbing Doubt by the throat. The mare merely smiled at him as he drove her towards the building. He had been beating her for about five minutes, his rage over her words driving him toward ignoring everything around him. he had lost focus and was no obsessed with destroying her.

Doubt cackled in glee as they neared the building.

At the last minute, however, Faith stopped dead, his wings beating as he slowed enough to prevent Doubt from being turned into a bloody smear on the side of the building. He locked eyes with her, black and white magic shining in his eyes.

"Did you think you could trick me so easily?" Faith said coldly. He pressed his foreleg against her windpipe, keeping her from moving. "You wanted me to kill Cadence in my blind rage. You wanted me to forget that you are inside her like some parasite, wearing her like a suit. Only one problem, Doubt." Faith's eyes flashed pink and when he spoke next it was in a different voice. "I'm in here, Doubt... and I want my body back!"

Doubt let out a cry as Faith pressed his horn against hers, opening the connection between the two of them. The mad abstract trembled and her dark coat began to drip away from her like hot tar. It fell from the mare Faith restrained, oozing off of her to reveal Cadence's true form. Her wings returned to normal and her healthy pink coat began to shine with its normal luster the moment Cadence opened her eyes.

"I'm... I'm back," she whispered. A huge grin blossomed on her face and she hugged Faith. "I'm back!"

Faith smiled too and Twilight hurried over and joined the midair hug. "It’s good to have you back," Faith said, before breaking off. "But we aren't done yet."

The three of them turned, watching as the black ball of ooze hovered in the air in front of them, twisting and turning like a mound of ants. They could feel the darkness that poured off of the sphere and it was only their resolve that kept them from turning away from the disgusting mass.

"You've failed, Doubt," Twilight said sternly. "Again."

Cadence nodded. "You wanted to destroy Equestria and fill it with doubt... but this is your last stand. We are going to undo the damage you did and free the ponies you corrupted."

Faith's mouth was set in a firm line. "You wanted to sully the names of Twilight's friends... but you have failed to take into account the power of forgiveness. it might take decades, but those girls will make up for their sins and Equestria will be stronger because this."

"You wanted to shatter Faith and ruin the abstracts... and yes, some have died." Twilight took a moment, remembering Laughter and Loyalty. "But new abstracts will take their place... just like a new Doubt will arise when you are dead and gone. Faith always told me that life isn't static and I know he is right; things will change and we will heal."

The ball of ooze that was Doubt began to laugh.

"What is this?" Faith said coldly. "The last bit of humor from a fallen foe?"

Doubt merely giggled. "You still haven't gotten it... have you?" The ball began to twist and the upper portion reformed to resemble Doubt's head when she had possessed Cadence. "Who said anything about spreading doubt?'

"You did," Cadence said in confusion.

"I did? Yes... I suppose so... and we all know I am so trustworthy, what with corrupting your friends and your family. Oh yes, completely trustworthy, your mortal enemy." Doubt's head shot forward. "I LIED!"

Faith slashed out with his wings, only for Doubt to pull back just in time. "What new game is this?"

"This isn't new, Faith. This is the same game we've been playing; not my fault you didn't realize that you were basing all your moves on faulty assumptions." The ball shuddered and a set of wings formed: one a pegasus wing, the other bat-like. "Haven't you wondered how I was able to do all this? You've said it so many times: Abstracts can't lie. Oh, your brothers and sisters were able to fool themselves and justify their actions but they never lied, did they? They just ignored the truth... two different things. But me? I've lied... and lied... and lied?" Doubt's tongue shot out, serpentine now, licking her newly grown fangs. "So, how could that be? How could I, an abstract... lie?"

Twilight's eyes widened. "You... you aren't an abstract anymore, are you?"

"And the slowest runner finally finishes the race!" Doubt exclaimed as a long tail burst out of the black ooze ball, flicking about. "Yes... yes, I haven't been an abstract for quite some time. I became something more... something different and strange. I took a page out of your book, Faith, and stole from another being... I stole his purpose and his power and made it my own. He wasn’t using it, you saw to that, so I decided to take his place.

“It opened my eyes and my mind..." a taloned claw burst out and gripped Doubt's forehead. "I learned to feel so many things... and the voices... the voices tell me so many things... telling me how to get my revenge on you and this country and all the abstracts that abandoned me... and let me become this... this... I"M NOT CRAZY!" Doubt screamed as her other arm, paw-like, burst out of the ball. She seemed to get a hold of herself and she smiled. "There are a few questions you haven't asked and one last kaboom before its lights out for all of you... but let me speed this along and clue you in." Doubt began to grow longer and taller, her body twisting and changing more. "Look at the chaos I have created... why hasn't Discord been freed yet?"

Twilight's eyes widened. She now understood why Laughter had been trying to tell them during her dream trap.

"That's right... I bled him dry and took all there was in that stony shell... he was a chocolate candy and I ate the creamy filling till it became my blood." Doubt said as finished her transformation. Her black head sat grinning on a replica of Discord's body, though all the color had been bled away, leaving it black and white. Clashing magicks swirled about her as she looked at them, a twisted smile on her face. "I am Doubt... the Spirit of Chaos." She snapped her fingers and the sky trembled. "Now then... shall we begin?"

Faith and Twilight glanced at each other, then at Doubt.

"No," Faith said coldly. "We won't begin... we shall end."

PreviousChapters Next