• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 15,426 Views, 3,324 Comments

The Abundance - defender2222



Sequel to Faith and Doubt. Twilight must save Equestria from her friends who've become alicorns

  • ...
80
 3,324
 15,426

PreviousChapters Next
How We Are Seen

“I might be the villain of this story.”

-Rebecca Makkai, The Borrower


"Thank you," Faith said to the innkeeper, passing along a few bits to the kind stallion. His horn flared and another pile of bits joined the first. "We'd like our arrival in Equestria to be a surprise... you wouldn't want to ruin a surprise by revealing it, would you?"

"Of course not, my good masters," the innkeeper said, happy to please. He accepted the bits and waved as Faith turned to leave. "We should help each other, whenever we can! That is what harmony is about."

Faith nodded, internally smiling. He had figured out the rules of the game rather quickly and he was enjoying his time exploiting them. Just because he was back to being his old self didn't mean that he couldn't be devious every once and a while. And even if it did mean that… well, there was still quite a bit of Doubt still in him.

"That was quick," Twilight said once Faith rejoined them outside the inn. The alicorn of the gray lifted several bundles from his back and Twilight accepted one. She gave it a shake, allowing the tightly packed cloak to breathe before throwing it on. “I thought it would take you longer to convince him to sell us goods.”

"The law of the land is harmony... if you are smart you can use it to your advantage. He is eager to be generous and honest words can so easily be twisted."

Shining nodded. "He's right. I've found out a lot about the queens thanks to all the ponies not wanting to lie and feeling the need to offer advice. I don't think your friends realized that being so strict would mean there would be so many loopholes." His mood went sour in an instant. "Just don't break one of the five rules... that will draw attention."

"And attention is the last thing we need," Spike said as Twilight helped him pull on his cloak. After the battle it had been decided that it would be better for the dragon to appear as ponylike as possible. There weren’t any other dragons in Equestria and every guard would be on the lookout for the baby dragon, as he would be the easiest to spot. Thus, he had gone for a build roughly the size of Shining Armor's and remained on all fours. With the long cloak hanging off his form one would have to look at his hands and feet to notice anything strange about him.

Faith pulled his own cloak on and Twilight took a moment to look at the others and then herself, wanting to make sure everything was perfect. The four cloaks were a dark brown with braided cord holding them tight to their bodies. Twilight had grabbed a stack of bland-looking books from their room at the inn and placed them on her back. She took a deep breath before taking on the serene and downcast look of a monk. Until they got to the rebellion's hideout they would need to lay low; looking like scholars would help their cause greatly.

"Any other tips, Shiny?" Twilight whispered as they emerged from the inn and made their way past the battlefield. The remnants of the fight could still be seen and the 4 did their best to appear at once both interested and uninterested; too much interest would draw attention but ignoring the scene entirely would only lead to ponies wondering why they weren’t staring at the broken trees and torn-up grass.

"Stay low and stay smart. I've found that if you have to fight, taking one pony on one on one gives you a chance. It’s when they are in large groups that things get dicey."

"Like with zombies," Spike said.

"Why is it always zombies, Spike?" Twilight asked.

The dragon shrugged as the group began to make their way down the road. "Seems to fit. Ponies are captured and converted... they are all around us and will hunt us down... herds are more dangerous than a straggler..."

"The boy brings up a good point," Faith stated. “I would suggest not letting them bite you.”

The four of them fell silent and for a few minutes Twilight was able to pretend she was just out on a stroll. This was not a march towards war or a journey to fight her friends... just a casual trot down a road with the sun hanging in the sky and a light breeze.

Twilight glanced at two ponies that walked past them, their coats overly colorful. She nodded just barely and the two flashed overly large grins. "It just seems so... wrong," she whispered. "I mean... they look so happy."

"Because they are being forced to be happy, Twiley," Shining said softly. "They aren't really happy... somepony is making them feel that way."

"But is that really different than how things normally are?" Twilight quietly argued. She knew her friends were behind all this and their actions were terrible... but Twilight was seeking some way to make all of this fit properly. She was grasping at any angle she could find; anything to make their actions not as vicious as Shining made them out to be. "I mean, science knows that many of our emotions are chemical reactions. By altering the chemicals, we are able to make some pony feel whatever we want them to." She could see the disgust in Shining's eyes and she hurried to clarify. "I'm just saying that a lot of the emotions we feel aren't that magical at all... they aren't special."

"I am trying very hard not to be offended," Faith muttered.

Twilight's eyebrows disappeared into her hairline. "Oh! Well, I don't mean-"

“No no, I get it… I’m just a chemical imbalance.” Faith wiggled his head and screwed up his face in what could best be described as a ‘dumb dumb look’.

"I get what you are saying, Twiley," Shining said, ignoring the sulking abstract. "But here is the thing you are forgetting: true emotions, real emotions, come from here," he tapped his head and then his heart. "Not from some 3rd party. When you inject an emotion into a pony you are robbing them of their free will."

"But you have to admit they do it to themselves all the time. Think of all the depressed stallions that go and get a glass of hard cider. They are putting something in themselves to change their emotions."

"They aren't dragged in kicking and screaming," Shining countered.

Twilight shook her head. "They are in psych wards, Shining. Are you saying that we shouldn't medicate the criminally insane?"

"No, that is not what I am saying-"

"We are falling into the very problem that Equestria now faces," Faith stated softly. "Extremes. Shining, you must admit that at times, such changes in a pony by a 3rd party are needed... if you don't admit that then your dear fiancee is as much a foe to Equestria as the queens." Shining stammered and Faith turned to send a dark glare Twilight's way. "And you must admit that what is happening here is not sunshine and roses. They are your friends and you are trying to find a silver lining to their actions; this I understand. But what they are doing is wrong... I should know... I've done it myself."

"You have?" Spike asked.

"When I was Doubt. Not to the extreme the queens have but yes. I took what a pony had and pushed it towards a direction I preferred. Rainbow Dash and the rest, from what I can see, amplify an emotion to an extreme. There is no finesse to what they do, no attention to the details. I was a fine wood chisel... they are a keg of dynamite."

The baby dragon shook his head. "I can't believe the girls would do this."

"Me neither, Spike," Twilight whispered sadly.

Faith sighed. "The worst monsters in history have acted with the best of intentions... and the greatest heroes with the worst."

"Don't you think you are simplifying it?" Shining asked. He was growing annoyed by the abstract... mostly because he was making Shining question things he didn't want to.

"Am I?" Faith challenged. "May I tell you a story?"

Twilight smiled slightly. "You have got to stop monologuing."

"Quiet you. Now then, this tale takes place many, many years ago, back when I was merely Faith the abstract, without form. There was a hero who came upon these lands and saw that the world had become stagnant. The rulers of this land refused to ever let change truly come forth. The rulers liked things the way they were and the thought of change frightened them. The hero came to the rulers and when they stared at this figure, a mismatch of different species and preaching drastic change, they panicked. They tried to drive the hero out, to keep this noble figure from saving the ponies who longed for something more. The hero's methods were... extreme. The change that came about brought forth a chaos the likes of which you can not imagine. Many lives were ruined by this hero's actions, just as many were made better. Now... what do you think of the hero?"

Twilight smirked, her eyes twinkling in amusement. "I see what you are trying to pull, Faith. The 'hero' was Discord and the rulers were the Princesses. You are trying to show me that even evil can be twisted to look good and that-"

"The hero was Celestia," Faith stated softly.

The alicorn of the stars staggered as if punched in the gut.

"When Celestia and Luna appeared in these lands they brought with them chaos. Think about it... two ponies that could control the very moon and sun! Such things had been controlled by the unicorns for years! And they were faster than any pegasus that would live. Their strength made the mightiest of earth ponies look like foals. Never before had an alicorn been seen and to the first ponies that looked upon them there was a mix of awe and terror. With their rise in power came great upheaval. Princess Platinum and her descendants would slowly lose standing until... well, you've met Blueblood; a noble house, destined to rule, sees its heir care more for parties than the crown. Commander Hurricane saw his mighty army reduced to performing shows and guarding the very creatures he had attempted to drive out. He died bitter, by the way. The Chancellor found herself cast aside and left to wonder the lands, a shepherd without a flock. The mind of that one, already nearly lost, was broke the day Celestia took the throne. Madness... it is not a pretty thing. Their lives were ruined by Celestia and Luna's arrival."

"You... you can't mean that Celestia and Luna are evil!"

"Of course not," Faith said with a snort. "But to some they are. Life, you will find, is shades of gray. Show me a villain and I will give you a hero whose tale has not yet been told."

Shining shook his head in annoyance. "Why are you bringing this up? You just said yourself you are against the queens."

"Yes... I am. And you are and Twilight and Spike. And I am sure many more. But you must realize that there will be no complete victory." Faith looked up at the sky and, for the first time in a long, long while, sounded as old as he truly was. "Even if some great upheaval comes and your friends are returned to normal and all those ponies they amplified are cured and the princesses put back on the throne... some will see us as villains."

"How can you say that?" Shining snapped. "We are saving them!"

"From harmony. From happiness and laughter and joy. We are seeking to return sadness and loneliness and misery to this world. Yes, it is needed and without such things the world will never be truly filled with life... but do not be naive. What we do here will cause pain and the sooner you realize this the sooner we can solve things. Because," Faith wheeled around and jabbed his hoof at Shining, "if you are seeking to play knight and save the land you are a fool. This will be a war and all will lose."

Shining stared at Faith before purposely trotting ahead, not wanting to hear anymore from the abstract.

"Well... that is depressing," Spike muttered.

"So is life... the sour makes the sweet all the more wonderful." Faith looked up at the sky and sighed. "My concern is not with the queens."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, digesting what Faith had said.

"I sense another hoof at play here... you have sensed it too."

"Yes... something is not right." Twilight leaned forward, whispering so only Spike and Faith could hear her. "We can only trust each other... until we get the full story."

Spike nodded in agreement. "We've only gotten Shining Armor's side... he could be feeding us lies."

"You feel doubt... clever boy," Faith stated with pride. "Yes... we must be cautious. Things will come to a head soon enough and we will need to pick a side."

Twilight glanced at her brother. "Yeah... I just hope everypony can accept it."

PreviousChapters Next