• Published 1st Dec 2023
  • 1,136 Views, 6 Comments

I See A Cold Wind - overlord-flinx



Celestia always wanted to be on the stage! To have the lights on her, and hear the applause. But it wasn't her calling... But it was someone else's.

  • ...
0
 6
 1,136

Audition.

Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong-Ding!

Someone could be fooled into thinking Hearth's Warming was already here with all the merry bells sounding at every street corner from Canterlot to Manehatten. Bell carolers clinging and clanging out of tune but still as merry as could be, yearly volunteer workers ringing to win over passing ponies to give some bits to the poor; a bell was a bell, and they were singing as jolly as could be. Hearth's Warming was still a few weeks off, but the spirit filled Equestria no matter where you found yourself.

But finding yourself in Canterlot during the season? That's where the magic was. Canterlot was already a city of glittering streets and awe-inspiring glamour year round—nothing but the best for the seat of ponykind—, but the several week eves of Hearth's Warming Eve was something else. Glittering tinsel cascading down every road in weaving canopies, blazing light fixtures of all kinds and shapes adorning rooftops or lampposts, and wreaths of every natural and unnatural hue one every door. Celestia help the humbug that didn't have at least two wreaths somewhere on their house in Canterlot.

Even so far from the actual holiday and it's many—many—festivities, Canterlot was abustle with glee for the day. At first snow the ponies of the capitol would already be transforming their regal city into a winter wonderland. Was it because it was just good business? The bits were a-plenty come the holidays for every store after all. Was it because the holiday itself was such a cornerstone to Ponyville—sister city to Canterlot in many ways—and they simply couldn't bear to not share in the joy? Maybe so.

Or maybe it was because if they got all the busywork of dressing up the city out of the way early, they all could focus on those mentioned many—many—festivities. While the list of yearly holiday events was as vast as Equestria's lands, there really was only one that captivated everyone's heart: The Hearth's Warming Play. Year after year, Canterlot plays host to all walks of Equestria to bare witness to a most fantastical play. Some years the play had been... adequate. Others? Spectacular! It really came down to who was directing the play and what show they were putting on. Not that anyone complained about a free show in the fanciest city. But, a good show was better than a bad one, obviously.

There was that year Princess Twilight Sparkle ran the show, and everyone was convinced Windigos were trying to break into the theater. Turned out someone just kept opening a window during a light blizzard. But, given the old filly tales of why Windigos show up, it did sort of imply how everyone was feeling about the quality of the play that year. That or ponies were just a wee-bit uninterested in hearing about the founding of Equestria again. I mean, they live in Equestria; why not spice things up a little beyond a history lesson.

The Founding Of Equestria, Eight Crazy Neighs, Tinsel The No Antler Reindeer, Hearth's Warming Tail, these were some of the shows on rotation. Some of them received far more excitement than others, like the one decided for this year's show: Hearth's Warming Tail. Not only was it a story filled with thrills, chills, and preposterous effects, it was also a play filled to the brim with charming characters. And with characters came roles that needed filling; and roles that needed filling meant excited ponies—and other assorted races—to audition for them.

Perhaps in that reason was why everyone was brimming with such excitement this season. It was the perfect alignment of cheer for the season: a classic show, still early enough to audition for the roles, and the rumor that Princess Celestia herself was thinking of joining the stage. Can you imagine in? The sovereign of the Sun sharing a stage with you—a regular Joe—in front of all of Equestria? Now that was something to ring in the holiday season for!

Hearth's Warming Eve is here once again...!


"Okay, that'll do, thank you!" The snappy commands chopped over all the chatter in the backstage, though it did nothing to stop any of the chat. After all, they weren't the ones getting yelled at.

The mare on stage offered an appreciative bow, but her quivering lip couldn't help convey that she was not confident in her audition. Like every other shot down wannabe-star before her, she scampered off stage left while the stage and casting director shuffled through their papers for the next sign-up. Trixie was a far harsher stage director than Twilight Sparkle some years before, but she demanded perfection. If her casting director Starlight had it her way, they would've gone with the first few schlubs that croaked out an audition. "You can't spell Effort without For, and you sure went for it!" She'd encourage them either before or after they were chased off.

"Next!" Trixie screeched to the next poor soul shuffling backstage.

The mare didn't require a megaphone to help her cast directions—the acoustics of the theater coupled with her lovely voice and volume were more than enough—, but she insisted on using one. A strapping stallion adjusted himself before entering into the firing range, hopeful for his chances to land a role. While much of the chatter backstage was a mix of note sharing, comments about how hard-nosed this director was, or assurances of skill to the last hurried away star-to-be, there were an equal amount of starstruck whisperers over the two mares waiting for their turn.

"Mayhaps it would have been better if we arrived... anon," the slightly shorter of the two princesses coughed her slight discomfort as ponies tried their best to not give away they were gawking at her. They were not convincing.

"I can't imagine any way you or I could look inconspicuous," Celestia said with a chuckle.

"I was thinking more... after hours? Or before?"

"That would be special treatment, Luna. I wouldn't ask anyone to give me special treatment," Celestia playfully shook her head as she stood tall and proud in the otherwise bustling backstage—heads and haunches taller than every other milling guest. "No. We wait our turn just like everyone else. And we show up for the casting call just like everyone else."

The process did appeal to Luna's sensibilities. The writing of your name on a list, the careful processing of those names, the placing of each individual into blocks with set times to minimize waste for everyone involved and maximize efficiency? Bureaucracy was its own magic.

"Your point is taken, I admit," Luna looked out across the sea of faces and was met with a wave of crashing eyes against her before receding at her notice, "Though I wish we did not stick out so blatantly."

"You make me sick! You call that a soliloquy? It was so silly, I could flee!"

"It wasn't so bad, Big Mac. But maybe next time we can get through the first line, alright?"

"Oh I don't know, I can't help but find the attention a compliment," Celestia offered a casual wave to a few onlookers, sending them into a giddy spiral before running off to tell their friends, "Just seeing us here brightens their day. You can't tell me that it doesn't warm your heart a little."

The cheerful faces of every mare, stallion, and young colt and filly bundled up here to help celebrate a holiday tradition did nudge a little smile out of Luna no matter how hard she tried to cover it up. "Yes, well, I suppose," Luna's ears heated at their tips despite herself, "Even so, I don't understand why we both had to come."

"Are you reading for Snowdash or Cloppy The Snowmare? You are a clown! A CLOWN!"

"I'm putting you down for a 'hard maybe', Rainbow Dash. Just work on that two-step."

"Luna I simply could not do this without you," Celestia clapped a hoof to her sister's side, "I need the moral support from my dearest and best sister to get through this audition. You know my crippling stage-fright."

"You don't have stage-fright. Crippling or otherwise," Luna laughed as she locked her hoof over her sister's own, "I on the other hoof..."

"But you've gotten so much better!" Cutting her sister off swiftly, Celestia nudged an approving nuzzle into Luna's cheek; perhaps to tease her, perhaps to appease her. Either way, it wasn't unwelcome. "Besides, after a very... telling conversation with Twilight about my acting... I would certainly feel better about doing an audition if someone I trust was off to the side."

Luna could easily remember that night Celestia returned from Ponyville a bit worse for wear. While an important lesson about honesty was learned, Celestia did suffer a little in confidence with her acting ability. Which is why Luna was a bit befuddled when Celestia told her she was going to attend the auditions for this year's Hearth's Warming Play. Celestia had even gone so far as to start a whisper campaign that she would be attending. "It will really get everyone up and about, don't you think?" she had said. The results spoke for themselves with a record turnout.

"Gladly would I support you as you took the stage, sister. But could I not have done it from the audience rows?" Luna protested as she felt eyes fall on her again, "Far in the back?" She whispered through clenched teeth, trying her best to not give away her discomfort to onlookers.

Celestia seemed to ponder the idea, tapping a plated hoof against her muzzle. She didn't have to think for long before shaking her head. "No-no. It just wouldn't work. It would be too hard to see you with the stage lights, and the dim lights out there. Haven't you ever seen one of those movies where the actress looks for their lover in the audience, desperate for comfort, but they're lost in the herd? It's just too much to bear."

"I feel we watch vastly different programming, sister," Melodramas weren't Luna's cup of tea. Her choice of late night viewing usually fell towards old sitcoms out of circulation or 'how it was made' documentaries. Whether she actually enjoyed them or just settled for the slim pickings when it came to after-hours broadcasts would always be a mystery.

"If you're going to cry over me throwing paper at you, you'll crumble when they start throwing tomatoes at you. Next!"

"You can audition again in an hour, Pipsqueak. I'll be sure to keep anything throw-able out of reach of her next time. Thank you."

"Of course. But you know, while those dramatic shows are—well—overly dramatic sometimes, I can't help but think of you when I watch them," Celestia remarked as she ruffled at her sister's wings.

"Oh, har-har. Are you saying I am dramatic?" The younger sister retorted with a quirk of her brow. Paying half attention to her sister, Luna kept an eye on the dwindling cluster waiting in the wings; it would be Celestia's turn in due time.

"No—well... No," Celestia tapped her chin again as she briefly considered it but thought better, "I mean that when you perform you have this-this gravitas that still hearts and captures eyes," Luna was taken aback by the sudden compliment, and the burning tickled at her ears again, "I was always a little envious of that. You could always steal the show. Even if you were just a bit uncomfortable with the crowds."

Luna didn't know exactly how to respond to that kind of heaped praise. She anxiously touched at the small of her neck and shifted her eyes about looking for something—anything—of interest to distract her. Unfortunately for her even the sneaking glances at her and her sister seemed to have halted for the time being, and the waiting cluster was nearly depleted. "I... That's very kind of you to say, dear sister. I cannot recall the last time I truly performed, honestly."

"You've been a fantastic partner in my acting exercises lately," Celestia was quick to remind her.

While it was true she 'acted' a bit to give Celestia someone to work off of leading up to this audition, Luna couldn't really say she was putting her all into it. Maybe that was because she didn't want to pressure Celestia or give her too much to work against, given her sister's own 'talent'. "I have tried to be the best partner I could be for you. And you have made marvelous strides in your own abilities," it wasn't exactly a lie. Going up one step was definitely not standing on the first floor anymore, "Your Snowfall Frost is spot-on."

Celestia smiled softly at her sister before taking a noticeable glance just ahead of them. "And your Spirit of Hearth's Warming Yet to Come is award worthy. Even when you're holding back to make me feel better."

"You've disappointed me, angered me, and ruined my day. I'll see you at rehearsal."

"H-Wha? I-H-wha? I would—The very notion is—psh!" Luna possessed the poker face of a filly with their hoof in the cookie jar, and the deflecting skills of sloth playing hockey.

"Next in line, please."

"You don't need to spare my feelings, Luna, I know," Celestia both chuckled at her sister's flailing response and sighed her own unmasked disappointment, "I appreciate that you've done so much in helping me become a better actress if only slightlyaaaaand taking time out of your day and away from your comfort zone to help me even further."

"Next audition, please step out?"

"It's a bit silly that I want to take the stage so much, but... I can't really put it into words. I guess I just want to entertain our subjects," Celestia tossed the idea over in her head but couldn't find heads or tails from it, "They do so much for us, I think it would be nice for us to... give a little humble and earnest work back. Does that make sense?"

Luna could only half listen to her sister's waxing explanation as she heard the distinct calls of the directors from the stage. The clutter of applicants before them had finally been fed through, and it was their turn. "Uh-yes, perfectly sound reasoning. But it's your turn to audition, sister," Luna urged her sister on, nudging her towards the waiting stage.

Celestia took the nudges in stride and inched her way towards the stage, though she still looked on with a wistful smile... and a glint in her eye. "Whatever the reason, one day I want to be able to proudly perform for Equestria with my head held high..."

"For the love of—give me that list... Will applicant Luna please hurry up to the stage?!"

Celestia was no longer being nudged as every nerve in Luna's body locked up. Which, coincidentally, made it that much easier for Celestia to push her catatonic sister the rest of the way onto the stage with little resistance. "That day was not going to be today, as I realized right before I wrote my name down on the sign-up sheet," Celestia wore the biggest and most proud smile as she adjusted the statue form of her sister onto the stage, feathering over Luna's features with the tips of her wings to do away with any last minute touch-ups, "But then I thought—hey—Luna is a fantastic actor! She just needs a little push."

Literally pushing her sister into position, Celestia threw a feathers-up to her sister before scampering back to stage right, skipping in glee the entire way. A new sea of muttering and chatter flittered through the backstage as they all bore witness to a royal betrayal and a sinister prestige they were all unwitting pawns in. All the while, the Princess of the Night remained as still as the grave, eyes as wide as saucers as she remained stunned by the long con.

"L-Luna?! Princess Luna?! I-uh-I...! When I said 'hurry' in that aggressive tone... I meant it in the most respectful way." Trixie pulled at her cape collar while her partner just rolled her eyes at the simpering flip.

"Great to see you, princess. I'm so glad you could make it," Starlight kept an air of practiced professionalism even if some deep part of her was wincing at the odd series of events that just fumbled onto her stage, "It says here that you will be reading for the role of... The Spirit of Hearth's Warming Yet to Come, whenever you're ready."

Even though Luna knew there was chattering whispers just behind her and saw Starlight Glimmer's mouth move, she heard nothing. Nothing except the dull ringing in her ears blotting everything else out. After such a heartfelt talk and pleasant exchange with her sister, she had been betrayed to the utmost degree! Coal was going to be in someone's stocking this year. Cold and black with the weight of a hundred sins, just like Celestia's heart. Luna just needed to figure out how to give a piece of coal the weight of a hundred sins. Surely there was a spell for it.

But revenge would have to wait.

A dry swallow was all Luna could muster to pull her senses back to reality. Like freshly cracked ice, Luna gradually unlocked each of her limbs, nearly stumbling as her knees started to knock against one another from the sudden shift from stone to life again. She looked out towards the vast theater before her... and saw nothing. Not a soul looking back at her. Even as the vague whispers from backstage tickled at her flaming ears, she focused on the vast emptiness and breathed.

Celestia despite tricking her was right... Maybe she could give a little humble work back for her subjects. Even if she failed, so many ponies from all across Equestria came in droves to either audition for this, or to see the play itself. And in part it was because they heard Celestia was going to perform; which turned out to be a ruse... But now a different princess was filling that role, and that seemed to be still generating a lot of energy in the theater. So maybe it wasn't a total ruse.

Maybe...

"...You can do it..."

Luna exhaled a long, nervous breath and let her eyes slip shut. In this moment, everything else fell away. The stage, the other ponies, her sister; everything slipped away in a chilling gust dusted in snow. She was there among the frozen wastes, a terrified Snowfall Frost looking up to her imposing form.

"I see a cold wind blowing through..."

The vision stayed strong in Luna's mind even as she opened her eyes back to the world around her. Brilliant whites shined bright from Luna's eyes as she stared off to 'the audience', and every bit of chatter fell to a hush.

"I see days neither fun nor free..."

Luna's voice cracked a chilling croak amidst one of her notes that set many of the disparate applicants to quietly scramble to watch the performance from the wings. As they crowded around to watch the princess work, Celestia turned up a proud little smirk. Proud of herself, and very proud of her sister.

"I see a future caused by you..."

A menacing hoof raised its accusatory reach in the vague direction of the ephemeral audience. However, beyond the trance, Trixie nearly stumbled back from her chair as a ghost-eyed mare born of nightmares pointed accusations at her. Starlight on the other hand was most enthralled—thrilled that an audition wasn't getting cut off so quickly.

"I see a path not meant to be..."

Despite having no accompaniment for her audition, Luna's voice trilled and traced each invisible note perfectly. The musical numbers of A Hearth's Warming Tail were as well worn and understood as any musical; perhaps more so given the multitude of different renditions, adaptations, or iterations ponies make of it. Like the version with puppets Discord made the year before on a whim; a crowd favorite. Even so, to hear someone command the stage with one of the songs with no backing, it was mesmerizing.

"The future should be filled with magic..."

"...Dreams and wishes brought to life..."

The brilliant whites that shined from Luna's eyes grew all the brighter as she began to reel back, the muses of the moment swelling within her. Everyone held their collective breaths, waiting for that grand finale. As she opened her mouth to continue, Luna was swiftly cut short by the clattering hooves of Trixie against her desk.

"B-Brilliant! Bravo! You have exceeded all requirements, princess!" Trixie hurried to give her praises, perhaps if only to stop the ghostly visage still pointing at her and singing in a booming trill that made her megaphone seem inadequate.

The Princess of the Night blinked herself back to reality, each bat of her eyes dimming her glow one degree at a time until her natural irises came back to focus. As reality settled back in, Luna was slowly welcomed back with dull cheers that gradually soared into thunderous applause the more she came to focus. The burning sensation returned to the back of Luna's ears, but this time it went as far as to blanket her entire face and down the small of her neck. Not really knowing what exactly to do in the moment, she clumsily tipped herself into a bow to nobody in particular.

Celestia for her part reveled in the growing whispers filling the collective onlookers praising her sister and talking about how excited they were to get into this play season. Even if they couldn't all perform, there was no way any of them would miss this show; they'd work in the rafters or pitch in with building the set if it meant seeing this show. For that, it was a mission accomplished.

And to see how bashful her sister was out there while eating up so much applause? That was a victory above all victories! In all likelihood Luna would exact her revenge in a slow and meticulous manner. But at least for now, surrounded by gleeful merrymakers, and listening to her sister secure a spot in a play; it was all worth it.

This was going to be one joyful Hearth's Warming... And now Celestia didn't even have to buy Luna a gift!


"...You don't think she actually blames me for destroying Hearth's Warming, right?"

"Call the next pony, Trixie."

Author's Note:

Happy early holidays, all. I hope you all have a real jolly one, and spread love through everything you say and do this season.

Comments ( 6 )

That was wonderful. It does get a little slow at times, but I never lost interest.

That said, I do want to talk about this part.

"You make me sick! You call that a soliloquy? It was so silly, I could flee!"

"It wasn't so bad, Big Mac. But maybe next time we can get through the first line, alright?"

"Are you reading for Snowdash or Cloppy The Snowmare? You are a clown! A CLOWN!"

"I'm putting you down for a 'hard maybe', Rainbow Dash. Just work on that two-step."

"If you're going to cry over me throwing paper at you, you'll crumble when they start throwing tomatoes at you. Next!"

"You can audition again in an hour, Pipsqueak. I'll be sure to keep anything throw-able out of reach of her next time. Thank you."

You don’t actually need to make them so small. It’s hard to read. You can make them slightly small, but just the italics is enough for us to figure out who’s talking, given prior narration and context.

But even with that little issue, this was really well-written. And funny.

Happy early Hearth’s Warming!

I'm still impressed by how hard some of Daniel Ingram's songs went. Luna's Future, even though it is somewhat short, is one of my favourites.

11764461
I understand your point, I was stuck on how small to make it for the sand of the joke, and it seemed the right size on my computer when I was making it. But I’ll up it a little if you think it’s too small if one person thinks it’s not the right size, it’s a good indication it might not work for everyone. Thank you for the input.


11764477
It’s my favorite from that special, so I went with it.

Luna KILLED IT!

11764477
I literally commute to a playlist of "MLP songs that didn't need to go that hard" 😂 I forget at times what great music I grew up on and then listen to these songs and am like ✨❤️✨

Now we need a follow up explaining how Starlight ended up with the main role (Snowfall Frost) after all the auditions were done 🙃

Bravissimo!
These are the types of slice-of-life I yearn to find.

Login or register to comment