• Published 15th Jul 2023
  • 386 Views, 10 Comments

Imperfect - Incandesca

  • ...
2
 10
 386

To Anyone Who Might Care

She woke, bolting up in bed, covered in sweat. Morning light cast the room in golden splendor.

The sheets clung to her naked form. It took several long moments of breathing before her heart steadied and she stopped trembling.

Beside her, the covers stirred. Groaning, Sunset sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Adagio? You okay? You look-"

"What do I look like?" she snapped. "A witch? A hag? A monster?"

"I was going to say unwell."

Adagio closed her eyes, curling her digits around the sheets til her knuckles hurt.

A shuddering breath escaped her, like a mighty gust of wind to bring the empire in her dreams crumbling down.

"I had a dream."

"Sounds more like a nightmare."

"Maybe."

Sunset placed an arm around her shoulder, and rest her chin atop.

"Why do you love me?"

The words came without thinking. Immediately, she wanted them back.

"Because you're beautiful, and strong, and smart."

"I doubt that more and more every day."

"I know. But how you view yourself will never change the way I view you."

Adagio breathed in sharply.

"I love you," she said.

Sunset kissed her on the lips.

Adagio loved her crimson hair.

"I love you, too."

Author's Note:

The inspiration for this story came to me thanks to this song by Billie Eilish.

Before writing it, I'd forgotten how much I loved SunDagio. I'm glad this was the first thing I've officially written for them.

Because, despite the name of the story, and though nothing can ever be perfect, this is the closest I feel anything of mine has come to perfection. Never before have I had to pack so much into so little.

Regardless, I'm curious to hear what you think, both general opinions/feedback as well as what meanings you read into this piece.

Lastly, this story was written for the 2023 'A Thousand Words' contest, in the 'Drama' and 'Experimental' categories. If you enjoyed this story and would like to receive one of your own, see here for more details.

Comments ( 4 )

The wheel keeps on turning.

I'm reminded of The Last Unicorn (which is amazing) when Schmendrick turned the unicorn, an immortal being, into a mortal woman. The most heartbreaking line to me was "I can feel this body dying all around me!".

This was really interesting! The cuts between the dream and real life worked well to show Adagio's feelings.

A shuddering breath escaped her, like a mighty gust of wind to bring the empire in her dreams crumbling down.

and oof, yeah. going from that empire in her dreams to this fragile and mortal reality, Adagio really is quite a fascinating character

"I know. But how you view yourself will never change the way I view you."

Adagio breathed in sharply.

"I love you," she said.

Sunset kissed her on the lips.

Adagio loved her crimson hair.

"I love you, too."

and aww, what a sweet way to end it! lovely meditation on SunDagio, thank you for writing!

I’ve never been one for this pairing, personally, but I can see it. Still, I feel you were a bit overambitious with this one. I do love the dream imagery as Adagio drowns in time and tide, but the second chapter ends up feeling vestigial. There’s just not enough space to explore all the ideas this story wants to cover, and while I do like the concept of Adagio learning the more subtle strength of persistence, there just aren’t enough words to really capture it alongside everything else.

Still, great imagery and even a good job of capturing the essence of the relationship in relatively few words. Thank you for this.

Login or register to comment