• Published 15th Jul 2023
  • 387 Views, 10 Comments

Imperfect - Incandesca

  • ...
2
 10
 387

I Got Everything I Wanted

"Will you just tell me already where in Poseidon's deep blue you're dragging me off to?"

"Be patient, Addy. You're starting to sound like Sonata."

"Say that again, and I'll eat the beating heart from your chest."

"You definitely ate something of mine the other night."

That, at last, got Adagio to shut her mouth. Snorting derisively, she leaned back in the passenger seat, returning her gaze from the road to her book.

A short while later, they arrived. Stopping the car, Sunset unlocked the doors.

Adagio's eyes had been fixed on her novel, but even without sight she knew where she was the instant she stepped out. Never in a million lifetimes could she forget the smell of the sea.

"The beach. You've taken me to the beach. Is this some kind of joke? We don't even have our swimsuits."

"Not the beach, cranky. Come on, you'll see."

Sighing, Adagio accepted as Sunset took her hand. She led them away from the car, down through steep brown rocks and grassy dunes.

"Here." Sunset released her hand, pointing ahead. "This is what I wanted to show you."

She followed, keeping quiet. They paused at the first tide pool they came across, and Sunset got on her knees to investigate. Adagio, unimpressed, watched with her arms folded.

Sunset gasped in sweet adoration. A rare sound from her, but one thoroughly worth hearing.

Adagio cocked her head as Sunset pulled a small octopus from the water. It wriggled in her cupped palms, shiny wet and crimson.

"Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen?"

"I'm certain 'cuteness' won't help it live very long when the tides come in."

"Don't be mean, Adagio." Sunset crooned, gently rubbing the octopus' head. Its tentacle wrapped around her finger. "Don't listen to her. She's just grumpy 'cause I woke her up early."

Adagio rolled her eyes. "It's a weak, simple creature. Who cares what happens to it?"

"Strength isn't everything, Adagio." With a final scritch, Sunset placed the octopus back in its pool. "Sometimes, being strong means forging on, even when you're weak."