• Published 8th Oct 2022
  • 1,982 Views, 30 Comments

A Lost Opal... - Visharo



Opaline is lost and has been for centuries. She has nothing to live for and yet still remains, until, she finds a filly without a home.

  • ...
1
 30
 1,982

...Found in the Mists

Opaline trudged through a snowy drift, keeping her head low, trying to stay below the low branches. With Twilight's death and the disappearance of magic, Opaline's power seeped away and she could do nothing but watch. Her cyan mane faded to an off-white color and her horn and wings no longer worked, but the most concerning thing was the emptiness she felt. Despite having no magical power whatsoever, her immortality remained and she hasn't decided if it was a blessing or a curse.

The purple alicorn dodged yet another branch and thought of the lonely years. Those centuries spent brooding and raging at the pony who took it all away. After the siege of Canterlot, Opaline tried to find out where the magic was stored. It was in one of Twilight's lectures, something about magic energy can't be created nor destroyed, just stored. After years of fruitless searching, Opaline decided on roaming the world. Exploring became quite the past time for her, yet her anger at ponykind would always bring her back to Equestria.

After dodging what must've been the fiftieth branch, Opaline paused. Her ears perked up, catching on to the sound of crying. On an impulse unbeknownst to her, she started following the noise. A quick canter arrived Opaline to a charming little cabin. The alicorn pushed the door open, wondering why there was no fire lit in the corner. In all of her years, this was one of the coldest winters she had ever experienced.

After a quick look around, barely glancing at the furniture, Opaline made her way to the back of the house. The fourth room she poked her head into was a nursery. In said nursery there stood a crib that held a filly. The wailing must've come from this creature. Opaline crept forward, her gaze curious but anxious. The little pony stopped bawling once Opaline's head came into view.

"Well, what do we have here?" Opaline scooped the filly out of the crib and peered at the pony closely. She had a light blue coat and a frizzy cyan and blue mane. Something in those filly eyes reminded her of somepony. Somepony, she knew, long, long ago. As she contemplated on who that was, the filly started crying again.

Opaline nearly dropped the child in shock, then started panicking, unsure on how to stop this infernal noise. After much looking around in a daze, she concluded that fillies needed food. She quickly, yet hesitantly, put the crying filly aside and ran to the kitchen. Opaline rummaged through every cupboard and basket, looking for anything remotely baby-related.

She galloped back to the nursery, some mashed dandelions in her hoof. Once she returned, there were tear puddles all over the place. Opaline gasped as the filly started to roll off the counter she had been set upon. With a quick dive, Opaline caught the filly. Setting her atop the counter again, the alicorn hoof fed the mashed dandelions, which, much to Opaline's relief, the filly calmed down to.

With a great sigh, Opaline collapsed on the floor. She twisted her head ever so slightly to have the filly in her sights. The adorable sounds the filly was making, made the alicorn smile, just a little one.

***

Opaline had tried to leave that little cabin multiple times since that day, yet no matter what she did, she always came back to this little filly. After the third day, Opaline decided to stay for another week, and if nopony came to rescue this filly, then Opaline would have no choice but to bring the filly with her. There is no way that the alicorn could live in this dense area.

As the week breezed by, Opaline would play and feed the little one, and even gave her a name. It was a foggy day, mist clung to trees as it crept in from everywhere. Opaline was tired of calling her 'filly' and decided that Misty was an appropriate name. The baby squealed in response to her new name making Opaline smile.

When the day finally came, there was no pony who had come. Opaline frowned at this, wondering who abandoned this poor filly to her fate. The thought quickly dispersed as this meant that Misty was coming with her. Opaline wrapped the little filly in a bundle of blankets, determined to keep her warm, and hitched her onto the alicorn's back. Using her wings, she was able to keep her package stable as she trudged through the heavy snow once more.

***

The duo traveled for a while, skirting around borders and choosing to hide from other creatures, while trying to find their new home. On the road, Opaline would teach and feed the little one. And from Misty's happiness, Opaline would feel whole. Suddenly, it didn't matter that magic was gone. Her whole life was this little filly in front of her.

On the fifth week, Opaline spotted a tower on the horizon. As they neared, she saw that it was a part of a castle that overlooked a bay. From a distance, it looked absolutely perfect for their needs and wants. Giving little Misty a quick nuzzle, Opaline opened the giant doors and took a peak inside. Nothing. It took over an hour, but when the search was complete, Opaline found that this castle had been abandoned long ago. A really peculiar thing about this particular castle, was that there was a giant tree in the middle, its roots spreading all over. However sporadic, it does seem that it made the bases of the castle walls.

Opaline cared not at that moment, her thoughts wandered to the unicorn filly she had come to love as a daughter. She quickly set up a comfortable place for the two to sleep for now, using old mattresses and blankets. Misty didn't seem to care, and that was enough for Opaline.

***

Many years later, Opaline woke up to a strange rumbling. This wasn't a rumble that could be felt with your senses; nay, this was a rumble you detected through your inner magics. Such a thing was something she hadn't felt in a millennium. And it felt good.

"Opaline? What's happening?" Misty's panicked voice drew the alicorn's attention away. A spike of fear drove through Opaline. If somepony has returned magic to Equestria, then Misty would surely get magic too. For reasons she could not explain, this did not sit right with Opaline.

"Nothing Misty. Everything's fine." Then she paused as if coming up with a thought. "Although, I think it's finally time you've heard about my story. About an alicorn who stole magic from me and kept it hidden. It's a story of..."

***

Misty watched Opaline look at the magical hologram at the center of the room. The alicorn whom Misty had come to think of as a mother, had completely dismissed her, even putting her bed in a separate room. She would only ever call on Misty when something needed to be done, like spying on the ponies of Maretime Bay. Though it has been days since then, it still didn't feel right. In fact, Opaline has been acting a whole lot different.

"What happened to you?" Came the whisper, nopony else heard. "Where is the mother I used to know and love?"

Author's Note:

I apologize if this is narrative heavy, there just isn't much characters to have dialogue with.

I tried to keep it canon friendly(comics excluded) with this explanation of Misty's backstory! Hoped you enjoyed it, I certainly did.

Kudos to Lauren Faust for creating the greatest MLP Generation, there ain't nothing like it nor will there every will be again.

Comments ( 30 )

You know what I would actually like this to happen and my head canon

What happened to the mother that I used to know. Hope you make a story with chapters about Opaline raising Misty

11387520
somebody i used to knooowwww sorry i just had to

11387489
aw, thank you!

11387520
oooh, that's a good idea!

11390040
Oh dang, that's a cute comic.
As for the parents, I still have no idea what to think about that. Could've died to something or got lost, I dunno. Maybe Opaline killed them herself and took misty in after realizing that she just killed the filly's parents. I even thought about Opaline stealing Misty just cause she thought she was good at magic or had the potential for magic. Who knows?
You have any ideas?

11390040
I like that comic was pretty nice

I rather like this over the seemingly blatant "evil for the sheer sake of evil" that the show's given us thus far. If they ever attempt to redeem Opaline, let us hope that they can do so in a way that actually means something and not a one song/hug redemption that G4 was known for. No hate to G4 mind you, but sometimes the redemptions were a little too quick and sweet if you understand what I'm saying. Adding to my G5 faves.

11390868
Aw thanks! Means a lot. :)

I agree for about the redemption being more. Thought singing a song is much better then what they did with Sprout! They just shoved him to the side. A waste of a character in my opinion.

If I were to come up with a redemption arc for Opaline, I would have her help the Mane5 with friendship problems. Something like the Cutie Map. I dunno, something that would take a season or so.

11390901
You are quite welcome.

As to Sprout, he at least had a couple of bit lines, more than I can say for several of the G4 villains (Diamond Tiara for example) once her arc was done we got maybe one or two token appearances to fill out a crowd.


As to the hug and song bit, I think it comes down to the concept of what redemption, what forgiveness actually means. In G4 canon, one of my favorite villains is Starlight Glimmer because she's doing more than filling a standard "type" of story villain. Her quest to strip ponies of identity for the misguided goal of equality is awfully dark for "the target audience". They build her up to be unrepentant and dangerous just to turn right around and gave her a sugared up sob story and everyone more or less forgave her immediately, as if she had merely stolen a cookie instead of nearly killing their best friend.

Mind, I'm not saying they needed to tar and feather her or anything. But rather, make it so that the show doesn't wipe the slate clean whenever someone says "I'm sorry". Being sorry isn't the problem, it's that it shouldn't be the be-all end-all of forgiveness. And what's more, if that was the case, why did they lock Cozy Glow into a stony prison? Why did they seemingly destroy Lord Sombra twice?

That's my big concern for Opaline is that if they do redeem her it's going to be a one and done everything's all better kind of deal. If they don't redeem her, will Misty get some retribution? will Opaline be destroyed or petrified via friendship laserstm?

11390972
I forgot about Diamond Tiara, quite true.

As for the other villains, I dunno man. Ponies are weird. Tho with Starlight, she didn't lose her 'evilness' all that fast.

As for Opaline and Misty, I just hope they do something good with them. Especially with Misty.

11391031
Pones are weird heh, I can drink to that.

And you are right, Starlight didn't magically become like a certain "OH GOLLY GEE, I'm a perfectly innocent pone" but her redemption still was a bit rushed.

All that said, I definitely agree that hopefully Misty gets some justice done, if nothing else.


There's an artist on DA who you might like, she does illustrated head canons for pones that are quite a bit more detailed shall we say than canon G4 could ever hope to be. Nothing erotic, but definitely more intense.

11391048
They needed space for the time shenanigans. Redemptions can take a back seat.

Ooh, sounds interesting. Who's the artist?

11391055
https://www.deviantart.com/uunicornicc/gallery/66681029/nextgen

https://www.deviantart.com/lopoddity/art/Spider-Cupcakes-Spilled-Secrets-810459784

These two artists really give a much darker and sinister take on Starlight, but not in a way that crosses the line into absolute horror/grimdark.

11390081
While reading the story I had to think of the description of the artwork "Almost thither" from Lysok on DeviantArt:

Daughter of a unicorn noble has found an earth pony foal freezing in an abandoned cottage. His parents tried to find some food, but it was too cold last night and they did not come back. Yet, there is still chance for him.

Someone even made a soundtrack about it:

I have no idea whether that's the direction you want to go though.
You had asked so I wanted to mention it.

11390081
11390327
The artist is named "jully-park". He published another comic starring Misty a few days ago.
It is unrelated to the previous comic (and probably even more so to the story), but whatever.
derpicdn.net/img/view/2022/10/8/2962744.jpg
derpicdn.net/img/view/2022/10/8/2962746.jpg
derpicdn.net/img/view/2022/10/8/2962747.jpg
derpicdn.net/img/view/2022/10/8/2962750.jpg

11391066
I really liked the cupcake one, thought the semi-villain Starlight was a cool touch.

11391069
huh, quite close indeed. I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted either. I really didn't have any plans for the parents of Misty. It's just how my mind works, once I got a tiny smidge of an idea, I start writing and let the tide take me.

11391076
Awww, it's alright Misty. *pat pat*

11391999
ok, that is genuinely cool. where'd you find that?

11392026
See here: https://derpibooru.org/images/2964858
I'll explain the details in a PM so we don't spam this comment section even more.

I'd love for Oplaine to actually have a character like this

11396337
Aw, thank you!
and yes, i totally agree

It's a great Information. Thanks for that. KohlsFeedback.com

11407006
You're welcome!

Wonderful, exciting, beautiful! Please keep going! 💙💜🌈

11416635
Aww, thank you!

Login or register to comment