• Published 17th May 2021
  • 1,302 Views, 56 Comments

Inkwells across Equestria - Keyslam



Raven Inkwell is not a single pony. Raven is a collective.

  • ...
4
 56
 1,302

Under the moonlit sky

"I do wonder--" Raven turns her head to her Alicorn counterpart. "Why is it that our spectacles are consistently left behind?"

The Alicorn Raven stares cross-eyed at the glasses balancing on her muzzle. "Our spectacles? Ah, yes. I hadn't put much thought into them as of late." She lights her horn and pulls the eyewear off, setting them on the roofing tiles beside herself. "I, personally, leave our sisters' accessories behind when teleporting them in order to debilitate them, you see. Our bloodline's reduced quality of vision makes it rather difficult to see long distances."

"But what of the other instances of our glasses remaining when the body departs?" Raven cocks her head.

"We are one and the same, sister. I cannot say that I would know any more than you do. I suppose that perhaps the spell that facilitates our reincarnation may unintentionally create rather durable eyewear. I don't believe either of us have ever witnessed any of our sisters or previous incarnations traversing with broken spectacles, have we?"

A pause, followed by a shaking of Raven's head.

"It would be humorous if in time, all that remains of our bloodline is a mountainous pile of unbreakable spectacles." The Alicorn chuckles. "Maybe at the end of time, they may even become the birth of a new reality!"

"Perhaps."

The Alicorn turns her eyes skyward. She remains silent, her body unmoving in her pose.

"Shall... we complete our task on this day?" Raven breaks the silence. The shifting of her weight elicits quiet creaks from the weathered roofing beneath them.

The Alicorn Raven shakes her head.

"I suppose that is understandable, Elevated One. Today has been rather... eventful."

"Indeed it has. I wish to simply rest for the rest of this day."

Raven leans back, resting her head against the tiling. "Understood. I too then shall take my rest. Do you wonder what it is that the Chamber of the First may contain?"

"Yes. It could perhaps be as you theorized--a vast store of power and knowledge, able to grant our bloodline limitless immortality forever onward. Or maybe it is simply a bedroom, long-since forgotten by our sisters."

"I would hardly be surprised if it turns out to be the latter. But what would become of the efforts we are making to unseal the chamber if it is so? It would mean that the sacrifice of our sisters was made for the simple task of opening the door to an otherwise unassuming room."

The Alicorn Raven keeps her silence for a minute.

Two minutes.

Three.

Four.

"If it is the case, then I suppose that sacrifices must be made in the quest for knowledge." Her voice begins quietly, rising with every breath. "Is it not the case that we, Raven Inkwell, have sacrificed ourselves countless times already? Think--how is it that I came to be? How you came to be?"

"A chemical explosion within a research laboratory."

"You are correct. Were we not pursuing greater knowledge when our predecessor's life was unexpectedly cut short?"

"Hush now, sister. It would be unwise to cause a disturbance in the dead of night."

The Alicorn Raven's voice softens to a near-whisper. "Regardless, none of our incarnations' ends are, or will ever be in vain."

Comments ( 1 )

New chapter:heart:

Somewhere in Equestria there's a factory just producing Raven Inkwell model glasses hahahaxD

Login or register to comment