• Published 17th May 2021
  • 1,302 Views, 56 Comments

Inkwells across Equestria - Keyslam



Raven Inkwell is not a single pony. Raven is a collective.

  • ...
4
 56
 1,302

Raven of the Shadows

"Hasten. Our time is approaching its end."

Raven leads Raven down the corridor of Ravens. Every so often, the trailing Raven flinches at the soft wails of despair emanating from beyond the bars. She refocuses her attention on the Raven Inkwell that leads her, and the soft glow at the tip of her horn.

"Do you have a preferred title, Elevated One?"

Raven shakes her head. "There is no need for titles when you and I are one and the same. Proceed."

The leading Inkwell gives a singular nod and gestures to follow. It is not long before they halt before a heavy door inscribed with runes.

"No other incarnation of the First has unsealed the chamber we stand before."

"That is why we will utilize the power of the many. None have entered the First chamber because none have eclipsed the might of the First." The trailing Inkwell throws her cloak off, unfurling her wings. "Until now."

The leading Inkwell's eyes widen. "You are an Alicorn."

"I am a mistake. But this mistake shall be the savior of our cherished bloodline. We live to serve, and when our purpose is no more, we too must perish. I make it my duty --our duty-- to ensure that our purpose to the Sun Princess is preserved. Please, stand aside."

The leading Inkwell steps to the side, her eyes fixated on the Alicorn.

A spiral of mana drifts from the tip of the Alicorn Inkwell's horn, wandering lazily through the dry air until it hits the surface of the door. The runes painted beneath the Alicorn Inkwell begin to glow in a similar fashion; wisps of mana begin to reach far behind the leading Inkwell, snaking through each and every caged chamber within the corridor.

"I am sorry, my sisters. Your sacrifice will be honored for generations to come."

The leading Inkwell nearly chokes at the statement. "Wait--you never said anything about sacrifice! I assumed that it required the magical prowess of the combined Ravens to unseal the cham--"

A flood of mana bursts forth from behind, washing over every surface in the corridor as the tsunami approaches the door. A pair of glasses are all that remain of the leading Raven as the wave impacts.

Click.

The door creaks open. Raven steps inside. There is... nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

A second pair of glasses lays on the floor where Raven once stood.