• Published 11th Jun 2021
  • 453 Views, 35 Comments

Tinker, Tailor, Pony, Spy - Blade Star



Now reformed, Tempest Shadow must rebuild her life. In doing so, she meets a very unusual tailor, who is much more than meets the eye.

  • ...
2
 35
 453

Chapter 11

With forty winks under her belt, the flight back to Canterlot went a great faster for Tempest than the outward bound journey had. She awoke shortly before they began their descent into the city. It was early evening now and the city was bathed in the golden glow of the sunset. The spires of the castle glistened in the fading light and the whole city seemed to sparkle with magic.

Dropping down, the thestrals were soon on approach to the landing platform that jutted out from the side of the castle. Weaving their way between a passenger airship and a military vessel that was currently being brought out of mothballs (a consequence of the attack on the city), they set down on the platform, where Luna was waiting for them.

Tempest couldn’t help but muse how strange her budding friendship with Luna was. They’d only met a total of four times in person, but thanks to her dream walking, she felt like someone Tempest had known for much longer. She reflected that the same could be said for Elusive. After all, despite only knowing him for a couple of weeks, Tempest had just returned from flying halfway across Equestria to try and save him. Jumping out of the chariot, she reported herself.

“I see my guards do not disappoint when it comes to speed,” Luna applauded the two thestrals. “But I fear, Tempest, that someone was faster still. I had a rather curious visitor following our conversation.”

“Oh, who?” Tempest asked curiously.

“A physician out of Saddle Arabia,” Luna explained, her tone turning playful and slightly sarcastic. “It was the most curious thing. The stallion just happened to be a budding expert when it comes to poisons and toxins, and he has recently been writing a thesis on changeling physiology. He had heard of our little problem and was quick to offer his assistance. Imagine my surprise when he provided the doctors at the hospital with the formula for an antivenom that should allow our mutual friend to make a full recovery. Isn’t it strange the ponies you happen to meet?” Tempest chuckled at that.

“And let me guess, he decided not to stick around afterwards, and when you had your guards look him up, you couldn’t find a single record on him.” Now Luna laughed.

“Just so, Tempest, my friend, just so.”

“Well, I’m certainly glad that Mandible held up his end of things, although I can’t say I approve of his reasons. I suppose I’d better get down to the hospital.”

She was about to go, when Luna stopped her.

“Tempest, there’s one more thing I’d like to talk with you about before you go.” Tempest paused in her departure.

“I hear from my gallant Captain Night Song that you have accepted a position within my guard. And while I am sure that you will take to soldiering like a pegasus to a cloud, I have a suggestion that I would beg you to consider before making your final decision.”

“I’m listening,” Tempest said, now giving Luna her full attention.

“The Royal Guard, and my own Lunar Guard, are not just about soldiers standing around on sentry duty and guarding my sister and I. They are Equestria’s protectors, and admittedly, of late, some have greatly come up short in the performance of their duties.”

That was definitely true. While several incidents could be attributed to the overwhelming force of an enemy, such as the guard’s failure to stop the likes of Discord, Tirek, or Nightmare Moon, others should have fallen within their remit, such as the attacks by the changelings, as well as Tempest’s own strike on the city. Poor leadership, lax attitudes, and a lack of experience meant that the guard did not do its job. Tempest’s attack had gone far better than she had ever expected for instance. As a result, public confidence in the institution was low. Luna continued.

“The Royal Guard is not up to dealing with threats that, all too often, require the aid of Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends. I am looking to change that. Whilst the Lunar Guard has been instrumental in retraining the existing guard and rebuilding them to a fighting force, I cannot help but feel that we need something else, beyond just soldiers. Ponies who can identify and intercept threats before they come knocking on our door.”

“So what, you want to form some kind of special forces?” Tempest asked. Luna considered that.

“In a way,” she agreed. “A mixture of such things, combined with intelligence gathering. They would go all over, and possibly even beyond Equestria if need be, to identify, monitor, and if necessary, deal with potential threats to the realm. With your experience, I cannot help but think you would make an ideal first candidate.”

“I’m honoured, Princess,” Tempest said with a slight bow.

“Well,” Luna explained. “I thought it might provide the best of both worlds for you. You would gain the career and life of soldiering you are so suited to, and would be serving Equestria, helping to restore your reputation here. Yet at the same time, you may spend a great deal of time beyond our borders, helping to stamp out the last remnants of the Storm King and spreading word of his defeat. I would not ask for your answer now, but I can’t help but see it as perfect for you. In any case, there will be time to talk of such things later. Right now, I believe you have a friend to call upon.”

With that, Tempest hurried out of the castle, and was soon on her way back to the hospital.


Arriving at the hospital’s reception, Tempest was soon approached by one of the doctors that was treating Elusive. Not so long ago, he’d told her they were planning to induce a medical coma so that Elusive wouldn’t be in too much pain. Now though, his prognosis was much more optimistic.

“Ah, Miss Shadow,” he greeted. “Princess Luna said you would be visiting. I assume you’ve heard the good news?” Tempest nodded.

“Is the medicine working?” she asked.

“Indeed it is,” he said with no small amount of admiration. “In all my years of medicine, I’ve never seen anything like it. It not only neutralised the toxin, breaking it down into harmless by-products that the liver can easily filter out, but it even helped reverse some of the necrosis around the wound area. It will still be some time before he can be discharged of course; the poison really did a number on him. I’d say another twelve hours and even this stuff wouldn’t have been able to save him. Still, I’m optimistic about him making a complete recovery.”

“That’s great news,” Tempest said. “Can I visit him?”

“Of course,” the doctor said with a smile. “He’s out of intensive care now. Head down that hallway and you’ll find him in room 224.”

Tempest followed the directions and soon found her way to Elusive’s new room. It was more like a hotel room than a hospital one. Everything was just a little less antiseptic and clinical. Walking inside, she found Elusive sitting up in his bed reading the paper. The sound of the door opening had prompted him to look over it at Tempest.

He certainly looked better. There was more colour to him now, and only one IV running into his foreleg that Tempest assumed was this antidote Mandible had provided. He still had a bandage running around the middle of his barrel, but he no longer looked like he was at death’s door. His eyes too seemed to have their gleam back. All in all, he looked like the Elusive she knew.

“You look like Tartarus,” she said. It had become something of a routine greeting between them of late.

“I could say the same for you, Tempest,” Elusive replied with a smile. “A long flight I take it?”

“There and back,” Tempest replied. “Still, I see it was worth it.”

“Yes,” Elusive said, sounding curious. “Tell me, my dear, how in the wide, wide realm of Equestria did you manage to get your hooves on antivenom like that?”

Tempest was curious to see how Elusive would react to this. There had been a vague undercurrent of truth to everything he’d told her thus far. Perhaps this would be enough to rattle him.

“A changeling called Mandible. I gather he used to be your old boss.” Elusive chuckled.

“Ah that sly old fox,” he said with a grin and a shake of his head. “He was like a father to me. How has he been anyway?”

“Retired supposedly,” Tempest explained. “Although infiltration seems to be going on as it always did, and other changelings are pretty scared of him. I thought you said you couldn’t return because of how infiltrators were regarded in the new order.”

“I said I wasn’t welcome back,” Elusive countered. “Does Mandible look as if he’s welcome there? They’re too fearful of what he represents to try anything. I figure why not stay somewhere where I’m at least tolerated, instead of moving home where I might be killed at any moment.”

“Given that we’re in a hospital, I can see a slight flaw in that argument,” Tempest joked.

“Touché, my dear.”

“Mandible certainly has it in for you though,” Tempest went on. “He apparently considers this help as just further punishment.” Elusive chuckled.

“Ah yes, to be forever cut off from home and hearth,” Elusive said wistfully. “I can imagine worse fates.”

“If I didn’t know better though,” Tempest said. “I could almost swear that he misses you, just as much as he hates you.”

“We always did have a complicated relationship, even when we were amicable.”

The conversation then petered out somewhat. The two of them were both dancing around the elephant in the room, neither wanting to discuss the still recent unpleasantness. Eventually though, Elusive summoned up his courage.

“Tempest,” he said, his tone now far less jocular than before. “I...I want to apologise for what I said to you.”

“You weren’t yourself, Elusive,” she reassured him. “You were angry, dying, far from home, and I was an easy target.”

“That’s no excuse,” Elusive countered, shaking his head. “You didn’t deserve a word of it. I have greatly enjoyed your company and your friendship these past two weeks. As pleasant as a solitary life is, it is nice to have somepony to talk to from time to time. Although I hear you may be leaving us soon.”

“You don’t miss a trick, do you, Elusive?” Tempest said with a smile. “I’m certainly tempted by it. And honestly, I think it would be best for everypony. I get to spend some time outside Equestria, doing something good for a change.”

“I must admit, I’m a tad jealous of such an opportunity,” Elusive said. “I’d certainly encourage you to take it. The two of us can always keep in touch as friends do.” Tempest smiled.

“That can all wait, Elusive,” Tempest said gently. “I’m just glad you’re going to be okay.”


Elusive spent the next week in the hospital, recovering from his injuries and allowing the doctors to monitor the steady progress the antidote made in undoing the damage caused by the stabbing. He didn’t take to the confinement particularly well. If nothing else, he had a business to run. In part, thanks to Tempest’s display of his work at Luna’s birthday celebration, and partly out of sympathy for his situation, Elusive had seen quite the increase in his client base. It was still modest, of course, but he now had far more steady work. Certainly enough to keep him comfortable for a long time. Of course, that meant, while he was laid up in hospital, these orders and commissions were piling up, and he was anxious to make a start.

Tempest meanwhile, opted to extend her stay in Canterlot. She contacted Twilight through Spike, explaining to her the odd series of events that had led her here. The long and short of it was though, that she had managed to find gainful employment, and that she would, temporarily she assured Twilight, be leaving Equestria to help spread word of the Storm King’s fall. She would undergo a short training session in Canterlot prior to her departure. She also explained, leaving out a few important details, how Elusive had been injured. In an effort to repay the stallion back for his help, and in light of the build-up of work at his shop, she volunteered herself to help out with a few of the more simple jobs. It kept Elusive happy, gave her something to do while her paperwork was processed, and also served as a rather useful way of improving her fine motor control when it came to her magic.

That week saw her following a fairly steady and relaxed routine. She extended her stay in the hotel via the first of an annual stipend she received from Luna. Once beyond Equestria, it would help cover any expenses she might incur. She spent most of her morning in the store, taking orders from prospective customers, working on the simple repair jobs (on that front, she was grateful to Elusive for teaching her the basics), and generally keeping the store ticking over.

Then, after doing a half day in the store, she would head down the same restaurant she and Elusive had frequented that first week together. She enjoyed the food, but it was always lacking without Elusive’s company. He still had another week left before the hospital would release him. As Tempest tucked into her salad though, she was startled as a shadow briefly passed by her table and stopped. Looking up, she was surprised to find herself looking at none other than Elusive himself. He looked more or less the same as he was before the incident that had nearly cost him his life. He was once again wearing his crimson waistcoat, although this time it was teamed with a pair of saddlebags

“May I join you?” he asked.

“Elusive!” Tempest said in surprise. What was he doing here?

Elusive paid no mind to the shocked expression on Tempest’s face and, with his usual smile, took the seat opposite her, setting his bags down on the floor next to him.

“Thank you,” he said, blatantly ignoring her lack of response.

Tempest stared at him in bewilderment for a moment. The doctors said he needed at least another week of bed rest to allow the injuries to properly heal. While the poison that had nearly killed him was gone, there was still the small matter of the seven inch blade that had been driven into his gut, as evidenced by the now smaller, but nonetheless noticeable dressing on his stomach. As he’d sat down, he let out a slight hiss as he felt some pain from bending the still healing area.

“What are you doing here?!” Tempest exclaimed in a worried tone. “You’re supposed to still be laid up and getting better.” Elusive barked a short laugh and waved Tempest’s concerns away.

“Absolutely out of the question,” he said emphatically. “I don’t think I could stand being cooped up in the infernal hospital for even a single minute longer. Besides, I feel perfectly fine.”

Tempest considered telling him to go back to the hospital, and even considered dragging him there herself. But if she knew one thing about Elusive, it was that he could be stubborn when he wanted to be. If he tore the stitches, that was another matter though. Seeing the concern on her face, Elusive opted for a safer topic of discussion.

“So, tell me,” he said in a more upbeat tone. “Are they still serving that wonderful treacle sponge? I haven’t had a decent cup of coffee in an age, and it always goes so well.”

“Are they still…” Tempest repeated, unable to finish the question. “Is that all you have to say for yourself? How in the name of Celestia can you just sit there, grinning, and pretending that the last week didn’t happen?!”

“Personally, my dear Tempest,” Elusive said, in a more patient tone. “I am quite satisfied with the way things turned out. I am alive and well, as are you, and more to boot. And I see no purpose in continuing to dwell on what was a deeply difficult and traumatic time for the both of us.”

There was some logic to his logic there, Tempest reasoned. It had been a very trying time for her. More so for Elusive, in light of the whole issue of possibly casting off his mortal coil, but nonetheless tough for her too. She’d not gotten nearly enough sleep, been almost constantly worried, and she wagered, possibly put her life at far greater risk than she had initially believed when she went to the Changeling Kingdom. That little point still remained up in the air. She wagered that she would have to watch her back in the future.

Still, that aside, the crisis had passed. Elusive was alive and well, as was she. Their friendship had been greatly tested, but had survived and possibly been further strengthened by it all. And really, what was there to be achieved by fixating on it? Elusive, again, tried to steer the conversation in the direction of safer topics.

“By the way,” he went on. “I must tell you that I had a most interesting meeting at the shop today.”

Sweet Celestia, he’d been at the shop too?

“Oh, who?” Tempest asked.

“None other than the former captain of the Royal Guard, and now Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor.”

Twilight’s brother? While he was no longer in the Royal Guard per se, and certainly no longer their captain, as he was now the commanding officer of the re-established Imperial Crystal Guard, he did keep his ear to the ground when it came to the outfits affairs, and if Tempest recalled, still gave guest lectures at the academy. He was also quite notable for his stance on changelings. While not opposed to the peace, he had been far more guarded and cautious than most, something Tempest respected.

She always reflected that it was a pity that the two had never crossed paths with each other. His record was impressive, and she wagered, had he been in charge of the city’s defences, he would have put up much more of a fight and tested Tempest far more than the attack actually had. And while he would no doubt be among her own detractors, she still respected him for it, as a fellow soldier, if nothing else. Perhaps they would meet in the near future, given her new position?

“And what did he want with you?” Tempest asked. “Alterations to his dress uniform?” Elusive chuckled at Tempest’s jab.

“Oh, while it was a business call, it sadly wasn’t that kind of business,” Elusive said with a chuckle. “No, he came in his official capacity. It seems that he is under the impression that I was a changeling, and an infiltrator at that. He even wanted me to undergo tests to prove it.”

“And how did you respond to that?” she asked, sipping her own coffee.

“Well, that he was mistaken, naturally,” Elusive answered. “And that he had no legal grounds to compel me to undertake such a test.”

“The latter I can believe,” Tempest said. “But I doubt he believed your denial about the former.”

“He said something about ‘keeping a closer eye on me’ in the future. I told him he was quite welcome to do so. I have nothing to hide and I’ve always been happy to cooperate with the esteemed Royal Guard.” Elusive didn’t sound worried by any of it.

The stallion then leaned down and briefly rummaged around in his saddlebags before popping up again, a small box, wrapped in light green wrapping paper. He set the item on the table and gently pushed it across to Tempest.

“Here,” he said kindly, sounding genuinely sincere for a change. “I’ve brought you something. Consider it a thank you gift for looking after my shop while I was under the weather.”

Tempest smiled at that. Activating her magic, she carefully unwrapped her gift. Her motor control really had come a long way. It would never be perfect, but it was better than it had been. Being a unicorn unable to cast basic levitation was no fun at all.

It was a book, and a reasonably well made one at that. A light brown hardback cover, with gold lettering and motifs on it. The title read ‘A Rediscovery of Friendship’ by Obsidia. Tempest had never heard of it, and given that she’d spent the past few weeks living in one of the most extensive libraries in Equestria, that was saying something. Despite that though, she’d never really been one for pony fiction. The stories always seemed to have a guaranteed happy ending. There were never any nuances, no shades of grey that existed in real life. Elusive seemed to read this on her face.

“I think you’ll like this,” Elusive explained, reassuring her a little. “It takes place in the future, in a time where the magic of friendship, and even magic in general, has been lost, and ponies must work together to rediscover it.”

“And do they?” Tempest asked, before thinking better of it. “Actually, never mind, I don’t want to spoil the ending.”

Setting the book to one side, Tempest found herself pensive once more. Looking back, her trip to Canterlot had been a great success. She now had work, a direction in her life. She’d even found someone she could truly call a friend, and had quite the adventure in the process. But when it came to Elusive, there was still so much she didn’t know about him. And with her new position, it was likely she wouldn’t get to ask them any time soon. In all likelihood, this would be their last meeting for some time. She looked Elusive in the eye, trying to read her obfuscating friend.

“You know,” she said, leaning forward. “I still have a lot of questions to ask you about your past.” Elusive smiled a small smile.

“I’ve given you all the answers I’m capable of,” he replied in a relaxed tone.

“You’ve given me answers alright,” Tempest agreed. “But they were all different. What I want to know is, out of all the stories you’ve told me, which ones were true?” Now Elusive leaned forward a little, still smiling.

“My dear Tempest,” he said kindly. “They’re all true.” Tempest smiled back.

“Even the lies?”

Especially the lies.”

Comments ( 11 )

And roll credits!

Akkk! Complete!? Please tell me that this is just the first of a series?! This was so good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Applause. I've not read le Carré's work, though I recognized the reference in the title. If this was an homage, I need to correct that oversight.

One question, though... Should I offer congratulations to Tempest on her accession to the Royal Equestrian Secret Intelligence Service, or offer condolences?

10946517
That would be more appropriate for the trek crossover star trek Phoenix an excellent mlp trek crossover

wow a amazing story. and the last chapter just awesome.
and the book reference. i love it.

‘A Rediscovery of Friendship’ by Obsidia.

10946630 I don't have any concrete plans as such. But I do have a couple ideas. Maybe a one shot or two? There's certainly more to be explored between Mandible and Elusive. If you know who Elusive is based on, perhaps you can see who Mandible is standing in for. :trixieshiftright: It'll be a while though. Work is busy as anything and I have very little time, and energy, to write.

10946655 The title may be his, but the story is more Roddenberry. As for Tempest, that all depends on your point of view.

10946765 Glad you enjoyed it all. I had a lot of fun writing it.

10946708
I am fully aware of this.
However, this was posted to the implication of Elusive being so damn similar to Elim Garak from the series.

10947063
Fair tbh ds9 is the one I have watched the least compared to next gen and Voyager

Hm. I slept on this story for a bit too long and only picked it up when I saw it was complete. Probably should have done so sooner - it's a good one. I mean, I'm always up for a unique take with Purple Edge Horse and there's plenty of room for more Garak in my life, so kudos there. Plus you did weave them together in ways that made sense and created a nice little tale along the way. Nicely done.

This was an interesting story and I doubt the mystery of Elusive will ever be fully revealed. The book Elusive gave to Tempest seems like it's a reference to Generation 5.

This. Is. So. Good!

Seriously. A truly enjoyable story. How did this not break the 500-view threshold? Your Tempest, your Luna, your dialogue, your narration, Tempest’s train of thoughts, the mystery, all of it. It’s so beautifully weaved together. And your OC. Elusive is certainly something else; I figured he was the mystery from the moment Tempest saw him.

I’ll be the first to admit that the story felt a little slow at the beginning. You took your sweet time introducing Tempest, her personality and current situation, with the real plot kicking in nearly 8000 words into the story. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it almost turned me off at the very start. Just wanted to shared my thoughts with you.

Overall, though, great work. Easily one of the best mysteries I’ve ever read here on this site. But I feel like it’s not really solved yet. There’s just so much about Elusive, and Tempest, that needs exploring and elaboration. To the sequel I go!

Login or register to comment