• Published 2nd Feb 2021
  • 2,666 Views, 318 Comments

The Lost Crafter - Jeffrey1000



Steve, the last Crafter, is transported to Equestria. In this new land of magic and wonder, he must fight off numerous challenges so he can finally achieve the peaceful life he’s searching for.

  • ...
15
 318
 2,666

PreviousChapters
The Lost Crafter: A Christmas Special

Author's Note:

In honor of the holidays, here’s a Christmas special (to anyone still reading). To be honest, I don’t really know where this fits in canonically, but I will consider this canon for now.

Steve wandered through the castle. He looked left and right and saw all the decorations the ponies had been putting up. It seemed that with the snow came a new spirit that the ponies. One of giving and love and kindness. The streets were decorated with colorful lights, the walls of the castle had leaves strung around them, and in the halls were trees decorated in little colorful balls. He was impressed but also confused at the new decorations.

“Hey, Snow,” Steve called out to his assistant.

“What is it, sir?” He asked.

“What’s with all the decorations and stuff?”

“Oh, it’s for Hearth’s Warming Day.” He replied.

“What’s that?” Steve asked.

“It’s a day where we celebrate the founding of Equestria.” Dark Snow explained. The three different kinds of ponies came together and put their differences aside, forming Equestria as we know it.”

“Interesting.” Steve commented. He remembered reading about the founding, but he did not know that they celebrated Hearth’s Warming in honor of it. “Thank you, Snow.”

“Not a problem, sir. If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to spend today with my family and friends.” He said, before leaving. “You should too-your friends at least.”

“I will. Thank you.” He watched as the door closed behind his assistant. “Who could I spend today with?”

Stone boarded the train heading back home. He was off to Manehattan to see his parents. It’d had been a hot minute since he had seen his folks, but he was sure they’d be happy to see him again, judging by the letters they sent him.

“One ticket to Manehattan.” He told the counter.

“Coming right up.”

After getting his ticket, he made his way to the station platform. There, he recognized a certain crafter he had became friends with.

“Steve?” Stone questioned.

“Oh hey, Stone.” Steve replied.

“Where you off to?”

“Ponyville.” Steve replied. “Got some friends I’d like to spend Hearth’s Warming with.”

“That’s nice. I’m heading up to my folks in Manehattan.” Stone informed him.

“We’ll have fun.” Steve told him. Just then they heard the intercom buzz.

”Southbound train approaching. Please step away from the track.”

“Well, I guess I should get going.” Steve told him. “I’ll catch you later.”

“Yep. Happy Hearth’s Warming.” Stone said.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming.” He smiled back.

Steve got off the train with a smile and a little twinkle in his eye. He had a feeling that today would be a relaxing and fun day that he’d spend with his friends. He had to make a quick stop by Pinkie’s first to make a little present for Derpy. Unsurprisingly, the bakery was closed. Fortunately, he was able to find the pink pony bouncing around, celebrating. After making several muffins, he went over to his good friend Derpy’s. At her house, he knocked twice on the door.

“Hello-. Oh, Steve! What a pleasure to see you.” She greeted him.

“Hey Derpy, mind if I join you for Hearth’s Warming?” He asked.

“Oh please join us. I actually sent you a letter last night, but I guess it didn’t arrive before this morning.” She told him. “Guess all the postmares were on break.”

“Makes sense.” Steve shrugged as he walked in. “Oh by the way, I made some muffins for you. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

“Oh my! Thank you.” She laughed. “You know how I like my muffins.”

“Yes I do.” He laughed back.

“I have something for you too.” She smiled.

“Oh?” The mare held up a box with a bow on top. “Go ahead. Open it.”

Steve took off the bow and the box cover. He looked inside and saw a frame with Steve and his friends in it. He was standing, smiling, next to Derpy and Dinky on his left, Applejack and Stone on his right. The castle in Canterlot behind them all, shining brightly in the night.

“I couldn’t do much cause of our financial situation but I figured you’d appreciate it.” She told him. He looked at her with a wide smile on his face.

“It’s perfect.” Steve told her, holding back tears. “I couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

“Oh.” She said, surprised. “I’m-I’m glad you like it. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

Stone looked around the streets of Manehatten. They were the same as he remembered when he left all those years ago. Wandering through the streets of Bronclyn took him back to memories of his childhood. He grew up here. This was his home. This was what made him, him.

“Ah, it feels good to be back.” He smiled. “Even if it smells much worse than Canterlot.”

The stallion looked around the street for his parents’ apartment. Number 18, 19 20…22! He excitedly entered the building, flying up the sets of stairs. Once he reached the right floor, he rang the doorbell.

“Ma! It’s Stone!” He cried out. The door flew open.

“Stone!” A mare cried out in happiness. “It’s so good to see you again. Come on, your pa and I have been waiting for you.”

“There’s my boy!” Another voice cried out from behind. “It’s good to see my son still kickin’.”

“Well I’ve always been a fighter.” He smiled.

“Yeah, I’ve known that ever since nap time.” He laughed. “Anyways, we’re finishing setting up the table. Your pop pop is coming to join us.”

“Oh…you’re…you’re not gonna talk about what happened…last year…are you?” Stone said hesitantly.

“Nonsense. We’re gonna keep your uncle’s affair out of this dinner.” His dad replied.

“Okay…okay good.”

“Thanks, again, for the gift and lunch! I’ll be back for dinner.” Steve said, leaving the house. He checked the clock. 2:30. Still got time before dinner. “Time to check on Jean.”

He left town with a little gift for his friend. Getting something for a dragon would be difficult, however, Steve thinks he nailed it with a good ol’ end crystal. She can’t craft or bring any of those, so an end crystal will give her healing and a memory of where she came from. Once he reached the mountain, the crafter began his trek upwards. He grabbed onto the first rock and began climbing. Once he reached the top, he tried grabbing onto the a rock, only for his grip to give away and he began falling.

“Ah-. Ahhh-!” His screams were cut short by someone grabbing his shirt.

“Steve!” It was Jean.

“Boy am I glad to see you.” He said as she pulled him up.

“Same here.” She smiled back. “What brings you back here?”

“You.”

“Me?”

“What? Can a friend not want to see another friend again?” He smiled.

“Fair, fair.”

“It’s Hearth’s Warming after all. A time of celebrating with the people you love.” He said.

“Oh. Well I’m glad you came then.” She said back, matching his smile. The two hugged before Steve opened his inventory.

“I have a present for you.” He pulled out an obsidian block.

“Oh?” She spoke, curiously. He walked to the back of the cave and placed down the obsidian block. Then, on top of that, he put an end crystal.

“Ta da!” He exclaimed.

“Oh. Thank you so much.” She said. “I could really use something like this.”

“No problem.” He smiled.

Stone sighed laying his head in his hooves. He rested both on the dinner table and tried to block out the sound of argument. His grandpa did come, like his father said, however, more importantly, they were technically not talking about his uncle’s affair. It’s because they were talking about something else with his uncle’s life.

“Why did you still give money to him?!” His father asked, angrily.

“He’s my son! I’m not gonna just let him go, he’s family.” His grandfather shot back.

“Okay, but at least get him some help or support first or he’s just gonna blow it all on strippers or some shit again!”

“Well, I can’t afford that and neither can anyone in this house!” His grandpa told him. “He needed the money so I had to give it. I have two sons and I don’t wanna lose any of them when I can still help them.”

“Well, you can. You need to get him the help he needs.” Stone’s dad told him. “You just need to help him pin down a job so he can start supporting himself. Then, Stone can use the government insurance he gets from being in the military to cover whatever mental health help he gets.”

“But he doesn’t know how to sustain a job.” His grandpa replied. “Even if we do put him through the mental health treatment, his record’s already too bucked to land him another job. He’ll be lucky to even…”

Stone started drifting off. He could feel his mind being pulled out of the situation he was stuck in. His eyes wandered ‘round the room and he wondered if he could ever have a quiet Hearth’s Warming. Eventually, he gave into his urges.

“Can everyone please SHUT UP?!?!” Stone yelled, exasperated. Suddenly all eyes turned to him. The two arguing stallions sat back down in their chairs. “Can you both, please, just hear me out…”

The sun began to set as Steve made his way back through the forest. He quickly checked his clock. 4:30. Damn the sun is setting early now, he thought to himself. That was when he heard a rustling from behind. He pulled out his diamond sword and shield. He had minimal armor and a bow with few arrows.

“I just wanna go home for the holidays. Whoever you are, can you respectfully fuck off.” Suddenly, he heard a noise from behind and quickly dropped to avoid the blur flying overhead. He ducked underneath and rolled to the side.

“Sorry,” the voice said, “no can do.”

Steve instantly recognized her. “Scorch.”

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t our old friend.” She smirked. Steve looked around. Changelings usually didn’t attack alone. He maintained a ready position ready to move at a moment’s notice.

“Can’t say I’m too happy to see you.” He frowned.

“Same here. I thought our assault on Ponyville would be quite straightforward.”

“You’re planning an assault during the holidays? How dishonorable.” Steve said.

“Well, to be fair, it’s their holiday and not ours. To be honest, I didn’t even know it was a holiday until you brought it up. I’m a soldier, not a history nerd.”

“Who says you can’t be both?” Steve chuckled.

“Valid point. But that’s off topic. It might be a holiday, but we have you right where we want you.” Suddenly, 6 more changelings emerged on all sides.

“Oh shit…” Steve whispered. He didn’t want to do any killing on Hearth’s Warming, but it’d be surprising if he could escape the situation without any. Unless…

“Steve, surrender.” She awaited his response. The crafted stood stock still, thinking. He sighed.

“Please, just hear me out, Scorch…”

Stone pointed at his grandfather and father with his hooves. “…I don’t want you two to keep arguing like this on the holidays, but I know with this topic we will…”

Steve turned to meet her bloodthirsty gaze with his own soft, compassionate one. “…I don’t want to have to fight and kill any of your brood like I did last time, but I know you don’t want to let me off easy…”

Stone leaned back and shrugged, very relaxed. “…and that’s okay, because it’s a big disagreement that we have…”

“…and once this holiday season is over, we can continue to duke it out and argue over who’s right and wrong…” Steve continued.

“…but just for the holidays, can we please just keep it on the low, and be thankful for the ones we care about?” Stone asked.

“Cause at the end of the day, we only get one life and if we spend it squabbling all the time, it’s gonna be wasted…” Steve reasoned.

“…so don’t waste your time squabbling, spend it with the ones you love.” Stone told them.

“The holidays are supposed to bring us together and keep us close with the ones we love…” Steve informed them.

“…but the hate that’s controlling you is tearing us apart…” Stone made clear.

“…so, please, let’s just have an enjoyable, peaceful Hearth’s Warming.” Steve finished.

“That’s all I ask of you.” Stone begged.

“Please.” Steve begged once more. Scorch stood thoughtfully for a second. She sighed.

“I guess…I guess you make a fair point there.” She told him. “Let him go.”

“Really?” One of the other drones asked.

“Yes.” She spoke firmly. “It’s the honorable thing to do.”

“Yes ma’am.” The drones cleared a path for the crafter to walk. He stepped between them all and made his way to the forest line.

“Thank you.” Steve said. “Don’t worry, I won’t report this incident. So long as you return back to your place of hiding.”

“We will.” She said. “You have my word. And, if nothing else, my honor is all I carry. ”

“Good. Happy Hearth’s Warming.” He smiled.

“Th-thanks. Happy Hearth’s Warming to you too…I guess.”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming!” Some of the other drones cried out (some more cheerfully than others). And now Steve could go back to the cheerful town with peace of body and peace of mind.

“Listen, Stone…” his father started, “we’re sorry for all the bickering. We argue because we care about you boys a lot, and it’s not out of any hate for each other. But you’re definitely right in that we should come together during the holidays and be grateful for the time we have together. So I will say, sorry dad.”

“It’s okay, son. I’m sorry too.” He smiled back. The two hugged across the table, which brought a smile to Stone and his mom’s face. Finally, he could enjoy his Hearth’s Warming in peace.

“Well, who’s ready for dessert!” His mom asked, bringing a pie from the kitchen.

“I am!” Stone cried out.

“Me!”

“Here too!”

“Like father, like son.” She chuckled. They couldn’t help but get a laugh out of it too.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming.” His grandpa said.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming.” His dad smiled.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming.” He finally repeated.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Derpy.” Steve said.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Steve.” The two smiled as they glanced over at Dinky. She was reading a book out loud to her stuffed toys.

“…and he cried, cried out to all, ‘Happy Hearth’s Warming!’” She exclaimed. “‘A Happy Hearth’s Warming to all! And to all a good night!’”

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 3 )

Play The Pipes Of Peace.

Will there be any more bonus chapters in the future?

11782337
Yeah I think that might happen. Every now and then.

Login or register to comment