• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,828 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,828

PreviousChapters Next
51- The Eleventh Hour

Commander Scorpion was inspecting the Canterlot Castle Royal Guard armory. It was veritable, to be sure. But he expected more.

The room was four times longer than it was wide. The walls were nine hooves tall, with a slant at the end, reaching up to the ceiling ten hooves up from the floor. Along the center, rows of weapon racks were arranged. Many had been filled with swords, spears, and other common weapons. However, the occasional rack only had a single weapon on them, and were separately locked up. The walls of the room had sets of armor on mannequins reared up on their hind legs.

The entrance was a solid cold rolled steel door, with a three part lock enchanted against tampering. The door– and surrounding walls– were enchanted against being damaged. However, High Marshal Prince Phasmatodea had picked the Quartermaster out as a prime target for the opening moves of the invasion of Canterlot.

The Quartermaster himself was ambushed while he was inside the castle, just as the invasion was starting to kick off. He was inside the armory, handling the distribution of the arms inside. Guards from all over the city were coming in to retrieve weapons from the armory, having been off duty. Many had their armor with them, as all Royal Guards kept their armor close at hoof. Weapons, however, had to be kept in the armory.

The quartermaster went down far too easily. As did the guards with the enchanted weaponry of the vaunted Royal Guards. Commander Scorpion had the element of surprise and had ordered the infiltrators to sneak in disguised as ponies coming on duty to help out with the invasion, only to attack at once at the unprepared guards.

Only an eighth of the armory had been distributed to the Royal Guards coming in. All of that was reclaimed when Canterlot Castle was swept of its guard presence. Now, Commander Scorpion was inspecting the armory itself. Reappropriating, to be more precise.

Two thirds of the armor sets were unusable in their current condition. That last third, inefficient. The armor for pegasi and earth ponies had no hole in the helmet for a changeling’s horn, and the unicorn armor had no holes in the barrel plating for wings. Still, Scorpion figured he could combine the helmets of the unicorn armor with the rest of the set from the pegasus armor to get usable sets.

They were in every way superior to what the Praetorians had in stock.

‘Now that Canterlot is ours, we can start looking into forging our own armor, surely. It will take time to reach the level of professionalism these ponies had when it came to enchanting them, though. For now, we will make do with using their armor to finish the invasion.’

He was inspecting a helmet that seemed to be utterly resistant to being gripped by magic– despite the fact that it wasn’t made of Adamantium or Mithril– when a changeling entered the armory from the door behind him.

‘News from the throne room?’

“Report,” he said, not looking back.

“By the power invested in me, blah blah blah, you’re under arrest for treason against the hive.”

Commander Scorpion dropped the helmet and turned around, recognizing the voice.

“... My Prince?”

High Marshal Prince Phasmatodea was behind him, his Praetorian Oestridae, ever his shadow, right by him. Scorpion ever-so-briefly lamented the lost opportunity when that ling opted to not go into the Praetorian program originally. However, Scorpion’s attention was completely on the High Marshal the moment he noticed something so thoroughly peculiar and vexing.

Prince Phasma was covered in blood.

That’s when the Prince’s words registered in Scorpion’s mind, their utter lunacy making sense.

“What… are you talking about? Treason?”

“A plot to usurp Queen Chrysalis has been uncovered, and evidence and testimony has singled you out as a key conspirator. The previous suspects we took in were less than willing to come peacefully. Do not make the same mistake.”

The High Marshal lifted his hammer, and gently pressed it against Scorpion’s peytral armor plating. Scorpion heard hoofsteps behind him as the six Praetorians in the armory moved closer to watch.

“Come peacefully.”

“You’re clearly being misled, My Prince. I have been loyal to the throne for decades! Queen Chrysalis shall judge me, she will know the truth of what I say.”

“Then you will not fight?”

“Of course not, My Prince. I am loyal to the hive!”

“You deny that it was you who created subversive elements in the Swarm, collecting officers and soldiers alike for your cause to usurp Queen Chrysalis?”

“What? Of course not, I have been busy with the invasion. Any ling under my command can testify to that!”

“Then this should be cleared up very quickly. Thanks for making this easy for me.”

While Scorpion’s mind processed the words the Prince was saying, Scorpion noticed the Prince’s horn lighting up. His decades of experience kicked in automatically, and he casted a shield matrix to protect himself from the point-blank range opponent.

Unfortunately, the shield never formed. God-Splitter, with its Mithril core, was pressed right up against Scorpion. He could not get a protective shield around himself. Continuing to act on instinct, he started to dive to the side.

That was when the Prince and his shadow made their moves. A bolt of highly powerful electricity whizzed past the Commander, imperceptibly close to his head as he ducked into a roll. The hammer, God-Splitter, lowered and briefly hooked onto Scorpion’s right foreleg as he dove to the left, sending his dive into an unintended flip onto his back.

‘He’s attacking me?! He had no intention of taking me in–’

Praetorian Oestridae shut the door behind them and charged in.


Praetorian Patella was flying down the halls of Canterlot Castle as fast as her wings could allow.

She passed pristine halls covered in more gold, art, and suits of armor. She blitzed through junctions of wide avenue-like hallways. She buzzed around collapsed pillars and walls in a hallway that was destroyed in Her Majesty’s fight.

Her destination was the castle’s armory, where Commander Scorpion was. Praetorian Patella was ordered to deliver the message with no delays, and she understood the gravity of the situation herself. If need be, she would blow holes in walls to reach her commanding officer.

The Queen had told her the message herself, and Patella had been present in the room for the Infiltrator’s frantic debriefing.

Patella zipped to the side to avoid three Praetorians that were patrolling the hall she was currently speeding through. She didn’t slow down at all, trusting her skills to avoid collisions.

She was in the section of the castle reserved for military use now. Dormitories, mess halls, training rooms, she passed them all without even a cursory glance. The soft golds, reds, and whites of the main halls had given way to more simplistic styles of white, grey, and somehow less fancy gold.

Finally, she came upon the castle’s armory. The massive door was shut, and Patella could hear muffled noises behind the solid metal. When she pulled open the grey, half-a-hoof thick door, she saw the intended recipient of her message lying in a broken mess of wood and weapons.

The changeling next to the prone commander turned to the new intruder. It was a Praetorian in orange armor. Prince Phasma’s personal guard, Patella recalled. The rest of the changelings in the armory paused too. Three seemed to be unconscious on the ground, one was in the grip of the High Marshal himself, and the High Marshal had paused mid-punch to look over his shoulder to investigate who opened the door.

‘Oh no, I’m too late!’

“Run!” Yelled one of the Praetorians.

Praetorian Patella spun on her hooves just in time to hear the Prince yell, “Get her!”

She took to her wings once more, and began retracing her flight back to the throne room. She put all her speed to the test, hoping to lose what almost certainly was a changeling loyal to Prince Phasma right behind her.

Around bends, through hallways, she caught glimpses of the orange Praetorian right on her tail. Patella prided herself on being one of the fastest flyers in the First Legion, yet the hulking mass behind her never lost sight of her.

Occasionally, spells zipped past her as she darted from each side of the hallway, dodging potential shots from her pursuer.

One stray glance answered why; the infamously strong Praetorian Oestridae was smashing right through obstacles, rather than taking time to dodge around them. Corners of the walls exploded in plaster and stone as he cut straight through them. Fallen debris was smashed to pieces as he plowed on. Changelings were thrown to the side as he barreled right past.

One particular hallway had one wall covered in clear glass panels, giving a pleasant view of the garden right outside. This had the noticeable effect of the hallway being brighter than others, as the moonlight streamed in through the large windows. Patella, not having time to take in the scene, barely registered that detail in her mind. She was more focused on the single Praetorian standing in the hall, blocking it accidentally with his length.

She flew upwards towards the ceiling, intending to fly over the changeling just as she had a few times previously. Patella did not see the Praetorian’s horn light up as he channeled a spell, nor did she see the tiles of the floor– and no small amount of ground from beneath them– shoot up to the ceiling until it was far, far too late.

She hit the sudden wall with considerable force, cracking chitin all over her body; from her muzzle to her barrel, cracks appeared in varying size. She slid down the wall briefly, before falling back and off it all together. In the corner of her eyes, she could see her muzzle was now covered in blood. Her Praetorian helmet was completely dented backwards and was likely the only reason she was still conscious.

Patella struggled to flip onto her belly and get her hooves beneath her. She had to warn the Queen. Failure was not an option.

“Why don't cha’ just stay there for a moment, yeah?”

Patella pushed herself up off the ground and extended her wings to take flight again. The room spun and she instinctively retracted her wings back under her elytra as she tipped to the side, and fell over.

She heard hoofsteps echo around the room as the speaker walked over. Then, she heard another set as her pursuer landed. Patella blew air out of her nose, spraying a bit of blood onto the ground in front of her.

“Couldn’t help but notice you were after this ling. Don’t worry, this one’s free of charge.”

“... That statement has unpleasant implications, Weevil.”


Oest came in with the captured witness just as I finished wrapping up our captives. He brought a friend, too. I gave the familiar Praetorian a nod.

“I wasn’t expecting to see you here, Praetorian Weevil.”

“Hey, it’s just Weevil to friends.”

“Weevil, then.”

Oest threw down the captured ling in front of me. She was not looking too good; blood was leaking out of several points on her head and torso.

“The hell happened?”

“I saw Oest here making his way down the hallway, slowly following this bird. Thought I’d lend a hoof and help catch her. Turns out, she don’t like going from twenty miles per hour to none in a second flat.”

“Hmm. Thanks for your help, Weevil.”

“Anything for a friend.”

“Speaking of which, I could use your help if you would stick with us.”

“With what?”

“It’s happening.”

Weevil’s eyes widened and he looked around the room.

“Oh. Oh! Is that what this is all about?”

“Yes.”

“Does that mean I can get first pick of loot in here?”

“Sure. I need to ask our friend a question.”

Weevil, ever keeping his priorities straight, started picking through the armory behind me, examining the weapons and armor now laying on the ground. I turned my attention to the captured Praetorian while Oest kept watch outside the doorway to prevent further interruptions.

I leaned over the bleeding ling.

“You were not standing guard at the door. Where did you come from? Who are you? Where were you going?”

The Praetorian did not speak. She only glared at me.

“Listen. I’m very short on time. So before I start using the mind control spell, you might want to just tell me what I want to know. Believe me, it’s not a pleasant experience.”

‘So I’ve read, at least.’

“I’m loyal to the hive!”

“Ugh. This again? Alright, I gave you one warning. Just a heads up, bracing only makes it more painful.”

“N… No! Wait!”

I blinked.

“I’m surprised you actually listened to my warning. I'm a bit disappointed, too. I really need to practice that spell. Where did you come from?”

“The throne room…”

“Why?”

“The Queen needed to deliver a message. I was… too late. But it doesn’t matter! Nothing that happens here matters!”

‘That’s not an answer I wanted to hear.’

“And why does nothing matter?”

“Because you’re doomed to fail.”

“Doomed to fail,” I repeat. “How…”

‘She knows.’

“She knows,” Oest echoed my thoughts from his position outside of the doorway.

“Son of a cussing cuss word!” I hissed. “We have a leak! We need to move!”

I leaned back and called over to Weevil. He was trying on a Royal Guard unicorn helmet. “Weevil! We’re leaving! Now!

“But you said I could loot!”

“Chrysalis knows! There’s no time!”

“Oh shit. I’m right behind ya!”

I moved around Oest and out into the hall.

“C’mon! We’re out of time! We have to get everyone at the rendezvous either out of the castle or with us when we go in!”

PreviousChapters Next