• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,999 Views, 12,657 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,657
 30,999

PreviousChapters Next
39- Modern Crusaders

Showing the rest of the First Fang the contents of the Ascension chamber turned out to be a painful experience.

I felt the air start to escape my lungs as the changeling wrapped her hooves around me tighter.

“Please let go of me!”

“Never!”

“You’re going to crack my chitin!”

Lacewing ended the one-way hug and backed up.

“Sorry, it’s just, how could she do that to her own nymphs?!”

“Did Oest give you workout lessons or something? Jeez.... Anyways, they might not all be her nymphs. Who knows, maybe one or two of them are an uncle or aunt? I didn’t read anything about how long they can be interred for, so...”

Coxa was standing to the side in silent thought. He had seen what was down the opened trap door next to us, while Lacewing I broke the news to, rather than having her look down there.

Oest was here, too. He was as talkative as always.

At first, Lace said she was a tough girl who could handle the skeletons in the closet I was going to show. Then I told her it was literal skeletons, and she started singing a different tune, and decided to just hear about the Ascension chamber, rather than go into it.

“Don’t worry Phasma, the Legions and us will make sure she never does anything like this ever again,” Coxa reassured me.

“I can’t help stop her? Oh, you’re already drafting a eulogy for me, aren’t you?”

“Here lies Prince Phasma. He showed up, made a mess of things, and left it for us to clean up.”

“Coxa! Don’t make fun of Phasma’s inevitable death like that!”

“Rest in peace Phasma. He died as he lived, only used for his brainpower.”

“Hey!” I protested half-heartedly, but I couldn’t help but smile as Coxa, Lacewing, and Oest laughed. Okay, Oest snorted, that’s as close to laughing as anyone can get from him.

‘If only Thorax was here. On second thought, perhaps sparing him this nightmare fuel is doing him a favor.’


I chucked the magically-imbued quartz crystal at the wall, watching it shatter to pieces. The blaring alarm that woke me up immediately cut out.

‘Not even in medieval alternate universes can I escape the pure evil that is alarm clocks!’

That one was made by Chrysalis, and I destroyed it because I could. Every day before, I would need to use its pure, concentrated evil to wake up the next day. But I would not be waking up in the hive anymore.

For today is the day we march on Equestria. The long awaited War for The Sun will begin at noon. It is for this reason alone that I woke up at this ungodly hour, Seven AM.

As I rose from my bare bed and donned my Adamantium peytral, I mentally went through a checklist.

I told the First Fang I had a plan for killing Chrysalis, though I neglected to mention that it was an alicorn visiting me in my dreams.

‘Best case scenario, Nightmare Moon pretty much kills Chrysalis for me after Chrysalis defeats Celestia. I can deal with making a pact or whatever she wants afterwards, first comes the survival of my species and myself. Oh and that whole eternal night thing. I’m sure she won’t end the world, and if she did, well I’m sure she might be able to listen to reason. Oh well, a problem for later.’

Finally, the last topic I covered with the First Fang was to tell Coxa to get himself and Lace out of danger just in case Chrysalis somehow survives. Whether that be to vanish in the middle of the invasion or to fake their deaths, I left it to Coxa’s judgement.

The Praetorians at the vault were now loyal to me. Seeing the Ascension chamber must have been enough to dislodge their loyalties enough to at least give the all clear to Eucharis. Not that I let them send a message unsupervised, I had some of my few loyal Praetorians watching the message delivery, ready to destroy any communication devices Eucharis would use if he was warned about the oncoming storm.

Lacewing and Coxa have their positions during the invasion. I got them positions that were as safe as possible, in the rearguard as members of the Chosen Conquerors. No fighting or danger for them.

I looked at myself in the mirror Eucharis had gotten during my time in a pod.

A strange, tired thing looked back at me, with orange slitted eyes, like Smaug the Terrible’s. Or maybe Sauron’s. My eyes stung, the cold air of the early morning and lack of sleep bringing me no small amount of misery.

‘Time to establish a new world order. I’m definitely making alarm clocks illegal.’

All my plans were in order, with everyone moving into their respective places.

‘The faithful watch the forest for the coming of the King. Their lanterns bright, they wait at night for the new world he shall bring.’

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, grabbing God-Splitter before heading out of my room.

Chamberlain Eucharis was waiting for me out in the hallway. He spoke with a smile, “Good morning, Prince Phasma. We’re going to go through checks of the army together, then we shall depart posthaste.”

“Wonderful. I take it I’m going to give a speech?”

“Of course, My Prince! This is one of the most important occasions of our race’s history!”

‘Fantastic. I’ve been too busy with the Lodges establishing contingencies and plans to come up with a speech. I’ll have to bullshit it.’

It took a moment for the exact nuances of Eucharis’s words to reach me.

‘History? Considering how much Chrysalis keeps secret, just how much history do you exactly know, Eucharis?’

“Very well. Lead the way, Chamberlain.”

We entered the throne room and I saw the generals and captains of the Legions waiting around the map table in front of the throne. When they saw me enter, they rose from their seats and saluted in the hoof-across-chest fashion that the changelings used.

“High Marshal Prince Phasmatodea, the Legions are mustering as we speak. By noon, we will be ready to take what is rightfully ours,” Commander Scorpion of the Praetorians spoke in his low voice.

‘What came first, his low voice, or his menacing name? Scorpion just fits him too well for that to be a coincidence.’

“Excellent, Commander Scorpion. Everyling, take your seats.” As they sat back down, I picked up the small rake used to push the figurines on the map. “To recap the invasion plan, Legions One, Two, Three, Six, Nine, and Ten will be the center Push to Canterlot. They will begin their attack on the Promised Day.”

I used the rake to point at each of the figures of the mentioned Legions, each one being a changeling carrying a banner with their respective Roman Numeral on the banner.

“Legions Four and Seven will be pushing East. Due to the discovery of optimal routes, they will begin the siege ahead of schedule, on the Promised Day, rather than after. Legions Five and Seven will push West, focusing on Las Pegasus first. Legions Eleven and Twelve are split up amongst the three prongs of the invasion. That concludes the first stage, and the only one that needs recapping today.

“Thirteen days from now, The Promised Day will arrive, and the siege of Canterlot and Manehattan will begin in the early morning, before the sun even rises. The ponies will have stayed up all night celebrating beforehoof, meaning they will be tired and ready to collapse before we even attack. We expect the tiredness of the civilian Equestrians to lower their ability to resist by a significant degree, though the Royal Guard is still expected to be at full fighting capability.”

I put the rake down before looking around the room. In attendance were changelings loyal to Chrysalis, as well as changelings loyal to me.

“We are fighting for the survival of our species against those who would threaten it. We have no room for personal ambitions. Once Canterlot falls, we will know the fate of our species, as well as the fate of Equestria. You all know what’s at stake. You all know what you must do. Failure is not an option.

“Our cause is just! We shall stand victorious over those who would seek our destruction, for the Hive Eternal!”

The changeling stood up and saluted once more while echoing, “For the Hive Eternal!”

One speech down, one to go.’


The sand and gravel crunched under my hooves as I strode into the morning sun. I took a breath of the hot Drylands air. Next to me, Oest looked around as my entourage consisting of the upper echelon of the changeling high court got in order.

‘Just as unpleasant as I remembered. And we all get to endure a week of this oppressive heat.’

My entourage and I made our way to a raised platform that had been constructed for one singular purpose. I would address the Legions in their entirety.

The platform was all the way across the assembled Swarm, at the north side of the Hive. My entourage and I would have to walk all the way through a center lane in the armies. As I walked, I saw some Legionnaires tilt their head to the side slightly to get a look at their Prince walking amongst them.

Eventually, my group reached the platform and circled around to the back. I climbed the steps and the entourage stayed behind. The group would be watching my speech from behind the platform.

Before me, ten thousand changelings stood in segmented sections of varying sizes. The Line Legions held the majority of the changelings standing at attention, and were front and center for the speech. Here and there, changelings flitted about on their insect wings as orders were ferried to and fro.

When I stopped at the front of the small raised platform, teams of changelings activated their communication artifacts as they flew at points above the New Swarm, acting like flying carriers for televisions broadcasting me to the entire assembled hive. Just as well, I knew there are changelings watching from afar over in Canterlot, Manehattan, and Las Pegasus. Queen Chrysalis would be one of those distant viewers.

When I spoke, my voice echoed loudly over the audience thanks to an amplification spell.

“Changelings of the Fourth Hive. We stand at the precipice of a new era. The age of ponies is at an end. The age of changelings has come!

“For millennia the Masquerade Protocol protected us, and in its protective shadow, we grew strong. We sharpened our fangs, honed our practices, and prepared for the inevitable. In the shadows, we grew hungry, not just for love, but for justice!

“Brothers all! With one swift strike, we shall end the tyranny of the Sun Tyrant! We shall take our place in the sun! Our dominion over the world is ordained by Panarthropo themself, none can challenge our strength! The end to our hunger is finally at hoof!

For the Hive Eternal, Let the War For The Sun begin! I commanded the Legions both verbally and through the Weave.

“For the Hive Eternal!” The assembled Legions bellowed, stomping their hooves in unison.

Legions, forth, to Equestria! The Promised Day awaits! As it is woven, so shall it be!

The Legions started marching in lockstep, the morning sun filtering through the holes in their hooves and legs. When they reached the platform, their wings extended out from their elytra, and they took to the skies.

I stared ahead as the communication transponders were turned off, and the Legions continued their march and flight. I knew behind me the formations would begin splitting up, the Legions all heading to different destinations and checkpoints both in the Drylands and in Equestria.

My focus was on the hive.

I knew I would never return here, so I had given the order to what few Lodge members that would be part of the skeleton crew to bring an end to the princes and princesses trapped in the Ascension Chamber in a few days time.

I made sure that all communication transponders would also be taken by the Legions to report in. Their rarity ensured that there would be none in the possession of the skeleton crew. The Weave of the Fourth Hive would collapse, and like a tree falling in the woods, there would be no one around to hear it fall.

At least, Chrysalis wouldn’t hear it, and if any changeling tried to make the journey all the way from the hive, the Promised Day would have come and passed by the time they arrived at Canterlot.

I turned to the North, where the Legions were flying to the horizon, beyond which Equestria lay.

‘Months of plotting, working, training, and paperwork. Now, we shall see if it was all worth it.’

I spread my wings and took flight.

PreviousChapters Next