• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,736 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,736

PreviousChapters Next
22- Enkidu

“Prince Phasma.”

“Queen Chrysalis.”

She was seated at her desk and I across from it. After Eucharis had helped me out of the pod (my wings were too wet and pliable to fly), I was told Chrysalis was in her study.

“You look…. Like a drone.”

“I wonder whose fault that is? Are there any other repercussions from my hatching that I should be on the watch for?”

Chrysalis was silent while she thought. “... Well I’ve already covered the exploding and the turning pink. I did not expect such a drift from royal physiology.”

I raised my eyebrows but said nothing.

“You might have changed more than just physically. Do you have any heightened senses? Anything special of note?”

‘I knew what that pegasus was dreaming about, and I talked with a goddess in my sleep.’

“None.”

Lying to the ‘ling who taught me how to lie would normally be a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. Luckily, she merely improved my lying skills, not created them.

“Hmmm…. We shall see if anything comes up in your magic training when it resumes next week. For now, Chamberlain Eucharis informed you of your constraint?”

“The summer solstice.”

She nodded. “The summer solstice. You will have to begin reforming the Swarm immediately to make such an ambitious deadline. You will not fail me, nor will you fail the Swarm.”

“No I will not. I do have a plan for the Swarm and its restructuring. I presume that I am also drafting the plan for the invasion?”

“Aside from the infiltration of Canterlot and the duel with Princess Celestia, I leave the conquering of Equestria up to you. Should be easy, given the decadence and stagnation of ponies’ military.”

“Good, that is the assumption I worked off of. I suspect that if we were ponies, this is the part where I dramatically drop a thick binder of papers onto your desk? One labeled Evil Plans?”

Queen Chrysalis leaned in close.

“There is no good or evil, just survivors. Now tell me, High Marshal Prince Phasma, how will you make sure that we are the survivors?”


The room of changelings was packed full. The classroom was made to accommodate thirty, yet it was stuffed to forty five.

Private Ventricle was one of these forty-five changelings stuffed in like a hay bale on a cart.

‘This must have something to do with the High Marshal…’

The classroom door opened and a changeling walked in. He was, compared to everyone else, nearly unremarkable. The only difference between them and every single other changeling in the room was a long jagged scar across his left foreleg.

The newcomer stopped and turned to face the crowd.

“Time is short, as is my patience, so let’s get started. I am Sergeant Hermetia, but you all will call me Sir for short! You’re all here because the Swarm needs new officers, and you are one of ten groups tapped for this. By the end of this month, you’ll all be leaders, or you’ll be failures.”

‘Yeah definitely something to do with the High Marshal.’

“Each one of you will be responsible for anywhere from ten to twenty changelings. That’s a lot of lives riding on your shoulders. If you crack, you better crack now, or else there will be dead ‘lings on your hooves!”

The changelings in the room started to glance at each other, sharing the same thoughts. None dared whisper them outloud, not while a superior officer was in the room.

‘Twenty ‘lings? I’m just a private, all I’m supposed to do is break up fights in the habitation quarters. Or do long patrols out in the hot wastes!’

The Sergeant continued, “You will not be officers of the Swarm. You will be officers of the legions! The old Swarm is dead, High Marshal Prince Phasmatodea has ordered the raising of twelve legions, with room for more.”

“The fuck is a legion,” came an unbidden voice from the back.

Despite his line of sight being obstructed by five changelings in front of him, Sergeant Hermetia snapped to where the voice came from. Buzzing his wings, he lifted off and hugged the ceiling in a tight maneuver, before stopping above the back of the group.

All the while, his head tracked the source of the sound.

The changeling in question started to shrink under the Sergeant’s direct ire, making herself as small as possible.

The Sergeant continued to stare and the private started to sweat. Private Ventricle did not envy the loudmouth.

“I-I mean, uh, sir! W-What is a legion, sir?”

“A legion, maggot,” Sergeant Hermetia growled, “is our new formation. You, however, will be nothing more than a latrine cleaner in the Eleventh. Get the fuck out of my room, grub!” As the private scrambled up and over the changelings to get to the door, Sergeant Hermetia snapped his head up and took in the room. “I told you worthless grubs that I have no patience for your mewling. This is your one and only warning: waste my time, and I will make your life miserable!”

‘Fucking fantastic. There goes my easy meals.’

Private Ventricle knew his days of lounging around and yelling at drones were over. Well, not the yelling part. There would be much more of that.

But first, he had to survive this crash course on how not to get underlings killed.


“Thorax.”

Hearing his name, Thorax stopped pushing the cart full of sedimite rocks. The lower tunnels were lit up with the light green glow-moss that permeated throughout the hive. The only way he knew he was low, close to the base of the hive, was the intermittent creaking sounds coming from above him as the hive swayed imperceptibly in the wind.

The only 'ling that would look for Thorax was Pharynx. Thorax wasn’t sure how his brother found him deep down here in the hive, far away from their shared room in the habitation block, but he was glad for the company.

“Pharynx! Can you believe they put me on…”

Turning around, Thorax saw a changeling that most definitely was not his brother. The voice was deeper than he remembered, but there was no mistaking those eyes.

“Hello again Thorax. I always keep my word.”

Thorax studied every detail of Phasma’s new appearance. Tall, red tail and fin, and a much taller horn. This was not the nymph Thorax last saw a month ago, this was a changeling royal with presence.

‘He’s back?!’

“Ph-Phasma?! I thought…”

Phasma chuckled, “That I wouldn’t find you? It wasn’t easy, especially not with how busy my schedule is, but I heard word that a certain pony-sympathetic changeling was seen down here in-”

Thorax leaped at Phasma, pulling him into a hug.

“-Ah! By the Nine, does the whole First Fang love hugging? If you all hug me each time I say hello or goodbye, I will be suspected of encouraging pony ideals!”

‘The First Fang!’

The thought made Thorax let go and back up.

“You managed to get in contact with everyone else?!”

“Not yet, you’re the first. I was going to collect Oestridae after this. How have you been?”

Thorax glanced back at the cart.

“They have me doing manual work. Apparently I’m too risky for my old duty processing love-gel. They thought I would steal, or something.”

Phasma sighed and had a downcast expression when Thorax looked back at him. Or rather, up at him.

“You’re tall now!”

He chuckled, “Just noticing? I molted five days ago, and now I look like a bastardization of a drone and a royal."

‘I can definitely see the drone part.’

“You look good, Phasma.”

Phasma grinned. “That means a lot. Thank you, Thorax. How’s uh… how’s your brother?”

“Oh he’s doing well. He’s in a training course, something about a High Marshal making tons of new officer positions? I imagine you’ve had something to do with that.”

“What? Nooo. You’re thinking of another High Marshal.” Phasma chuckled quietly, “Hehehe, I didn’t come here to speak work, though.”

“You came here just to say hi, then?”

“Yeah. It’s been…. I’ve already had times where I lamented the loss of your company, Thorax. Despite what others say, it’s a breath of fresh air to hear what you have to say.”

Thorax stared at the ground and scuffed a hoof. “Oh, you seem to be the only one then.”

“The First Fang also misses you.”

Thorax snorted and looked back at his prince. “You just said you haven’t seen ‘em!”

“Oh right, you got me there. Well I’m sure they do. We’re family, after all.”

“Hey, if we’re family, do you think you could…?”

Thorax pointed to the cart.

Phasma rubbed his chin. “I think so. Putting a changeling in my personal retinue as… divisive as yourself would paint a target on your back, though. Think you can handle it?”

“Well you got my back, right?”

“Of course.”

“Then we can handle it.”

Phasma smiled.

“We can handle it. It’s good to have you back, Thorax. C’mon, we got a silent softie to go foalnap from his duties.”

They left the cart were it was and walked back to the upper levels. They passed a closed door before the main junction, with ‘Excavation Office A037’ carved next to the doorway.

‘Oh right, I need to explain to the foreling. Don’t want a search party looking for me, after all!’

“Hey Phasma, I need to tell my boss that I’m being reassigned.”

Thorax peeled off and knocked on the door.

“Enter,” came a muffled yell.

Thorax pushed the door open and slipped inside the muggy office.

“Excavator Thorax. Shut the damn door, you’re letting the heat out.” He did as he was told.

“Foreling Soleus? I, uh, I’m being reassigned.”

The ling scowled, looking up at Thorax. He was sitting down at a hive-gel desk that had a few actual papers on it, and was holding a real clipboard.

“No, you’re not. Get back to work or I’ll cut your rations in half for the next week.”

“I am!” Thorax moved closer. “Pha- err, Prince Phasma is personally reassigning me.”

Soleus raised an eyebrow, “Really Thorax? You flunk an infiltrator course and suddenly you think you are the best liar in the h-”

Thorax heard the door behind him open.

“Praetorian Thorax, hurry this up. I was serious when I said my schedule is packed.”

Thorax turned around, seeing Phasma half-in the doorway.

‘Praetorian? What’s… I’ll ask him after. Right, I need to play up his titles!’

“Apologies, My Prince! I was just being delayed, it will be resolved immediately!” Thorax turned back around and saw Soleus with his jaw open, clipboard slowly slipping out of his hooves.

“Y- I- Oh-”

“It is proper to bow before your prince, drone,” came the low voice behind Thorax.

Soleus let the clipboard slip from his grasp before ducking low.

“Apologies, My Prince! And Thorax, I will make sure there are no issues here!”

Soleus’s scared reaction made Thorax lurch forward, “Oh, thank you Soleus! Don’t worry about this, you were just being-”

Phasma cleared his throat behind Thorax, “We’re leaving, Praetorian.”

“Right, My Prince! Sorry, My Prince!” Thorax hurried after the retreating form of Phasma.

When they were out of earshot, Thorax whispered over, “You came into the office quickly."

"I didn't like what I heard when the door was still open."

"...Phasma, what’s a praetorian?”

“A Royal Guard,” he whispered back. Changelings bowed to Prince Phasma as they continued up the hive.

“A Royal Guard is a Royal Guard,” Thorax returned.

“Not anymore, I had them renamed so they don’t get confused with the ponies’ Royal Guard.”

“Wow, I’m a Royal Guard?”

“No, you’re a Praetorian.”

“... Hey Phasma,” Thorax whispered as quietly as he could while still being heard, “does this mean I have to hurt ‘lings? I don’t-”

“No, don’t worry about that. Leave that to Oestridae.”

‘That’s a relief! That whole office thing though, are the rumors true…?’

“Hey Phasma,” Thorax whispered again.

“Hey Thorax.”

“There’s rumors going around– and I’m sure they’re not true– saying that you… executed a changeling?”

Phasma looked at Thorax out of the corners of his eyes as they continued to walk.

“I’ve never harmed anyone else.”

“Right. That’s a relief. But, uh… would you?”

“Sentence someone to execution?”

“Mhmm.”

Phasma took a moment to think it over. It was a moment too long, in Thorax’s opinion.

“Yes.”

Phasma, you’re better than that!”

“Am I?” Thorax had to strain to hear that response.

Thorax nudged Phasma’s shoulder.

“Don’t give me that! You’re a good ‘ling, Phasma. Promise me you’ll never hurt someone else.”

Phasma stopped walking and faced Thorax, ignoring the changelings staring at the small royal procession of two.

“I’m the High Marshal. It’s my duty to hurt others. I’d prefer not to, but something’s gotta change here and it falls to me to make that change happen.”

He moved on, leaving Thorax standing there before he hurried to catch up to Phasma.

“You could try working with the ponies!”

“Working with the ponies? ‘Hello, in exchange for hurting you, would you care for some vomit?’ We can’t offer them anything.”

“... Have you even looked into alternative feeding methods?”

“Not yet, but I wouldn’t put too much hope on that. It’s us or them, Thorax. I’m sorry, but you can’t change that.”

‘I don’t give up that easily, Phasma! I’ll figure out something, just you watch!’

PreviousChapters Next