• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,741 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,741

PreviousChapters Next
98- Hecate

Web trailed behind his king and the three thestrals carrying him as they wound through the halls of the castle. Plush red carpet, smooth plastering, paintings of landscapes and beasts, fanciful sconces and torches, the occasional chandelier in the larger rooms, and more all passed by with little attention paid to by Web. What mattered most to him was lying on a simple cloth stretcher ahead.

They also passed by a few staff members of the castle. Maids and butlers in simple black uniforms. Guards in their shiny armor. Guards in their dull armor. Guards without any armor. It made Web wonder for a second if the maids and butlers were also guards in some capacity.

Eventually, they came upon a large circular staircase that wound downwards. The thestrals slowly glided down its tall spiraling form, taking care to bleed off speed when needed. Without pause, Web continued to follow. Eventually, the thestrals stopped at one landing of the staircase and turned off, down a hallway. The staircase continued down, but as usual, Web stuck close to the ponies.

‘Why does anyone need this many rooms? They do not house their entire hive in this structure, so what purpose does this hold?’

Finally, the thestrals set down on the ground, at the base of a pair of double doors that were solid black metal, and inscribed with mirrored reliefs of an alicorn reared up on hind legs, one forehoof point up and holding a telescope, and the the other straight ahead, pressing against the other mirrored image’s hoof.

The thestrals pushed the doors open on swinging hinges and entered. The doors swung closed behind them for just a moment before Web followed. Beyond was a large hexagonal chamber, with a section in the middle that was a few steps lower than the rest of the room, and the ceiling was an arched dome. At the absolute top of the dome, an opening sucked away the smoke from the room.

The walls, floors, and ceiling were made of a grey stone that was completely different from the bright white walls of the rest of the castle. The brickwork was faded and crumbling, as if the chamber existed centuries before the castle itself. All around the room, piles of candles burned, washing the room in a dim yellow glow. Wax pooled around their collective wixs. Some of it dripped down the steps into the lower section, where it collected in small puddles against the steps. The ceiling above was painted with a faded and chipped mural, its original contents almost indecipherable. It might have depicted ferocious battles, just as much as it might have depicted ancient ceremonies and rituals. At the far end, a black alicorn in possibly blue armor rose above, towards the apex of the dome. In two outstretched hooves, she held decapitated unicorn heads. The head of the alicorn itself had completely chipped away.

Web looked away when he swore he saw two red eyes staring back at him, despite the destroyed portion of the mural where the head was supposed to be.

The walls were barren, save for the spaced out pillars at each of the vertices. The three far walls had wooden, deteriorated doors were closed firmly shut. At each of their sides, censors poured the same red vapor that slithered along the ground. The thin fog collected around the lower section, giving it a red misty layer just above the grey stonework.

Then, at the very center of the room, was a stretched pentagonal altar, low to the ground. It was about twice as long as a pony, with two of the lower sides stretched out to encompass nearly the entirety of the lower section. A few stone tables orbited the altar along the steps like moons. On their smooth surfaces, a scattering of papers, candles, books, and metal tools lay haphazardly.

As the two thestrals set King Phasmatodea on the coffin-shaped altar and backed off, the third thestral also retreated, slowly swinging the chained censer back and forth as they did so..

Web took in all of this in just a few seconds as he entered the room. But what caught his attention was not the occult ambience of the chamber, it was the ponies within it. Four female thestrals in black leather and cloth garments stood around, arranging tools, books, papers, bottles, pipettes, and devices of complicated make on the tables.

‘Leather? Ponies, wearing actual leather?’

From what Web could tell in the dim lighting, the female thestrals were old. Old, and scarred. In fact, Web could only tell that they were thestrals from their yellowed eyes, fangs, ear shape, and fur coloring, for all four of them had no wings at all. Not the leather wings of the bat pony physiology, or even the feathered wings of a pegasus. Their backs were completely bare save for the clothes they wore.

They spoke with voices that brought a chill forward through Web’s spine. Harsh whispers and breathless tones that seemed to make sound through the air not like vibrating as everyone else’s, but by carving their own territory through the atmosphere. They verbally sparred with each other as Web and the other thestrals entered, and to Web, it sounded like they were actually crossing blades.

“Essence of Bloodvale? We might as well open our hearts to the damp and get it over with!” One screeched, leaning towards a second as she spoke.

“Safety was left at the door. A case as advanced as this requires measures just as advanced!” The second sneered back.

A third’s voice thrust forth into the conversation, “Bone is right. Take leave of Master Whistle’s teachings, they will do us no good here. The Path of the Waning Crescent is the only procedure that can work!”

The third thestral retrieved a box from the table she was closest to, and set it on the altar, next to King Phasmatodea’s head.

“Waning Crescent?! That is…. Yes, you are correct, Soul,” the first nodded in a flip of attitude and demeanor.

The third, who had to be named Soul, snorted, “As always!”

“As a broken clock.”

Soul flipped open the lid on the box and said, “Now, Totem of the Eclipse, or Icon of Apocalypse?”

“Eclipse,” the fourth and final thestral crone spoke, back turned against them all. “I had told you to dispose of the Icon, hadn’t I?”

Soul nodded, “Yes, you did. I ignored you, and I will continue to.”

“.... Totem of the Eclipse.”

“Very well, Mind,” Soul said quietly as she retrieved a golden sculpture from the box and set it at the end of the altar, right in front of the King’s muzzle. The sculpture was an empty circle surrounded by golden lines, which Web guessed were rays of light from the eclipse in the center. The stand and base were also made of solid gold, with the exception of four rubies at equal length along the stem of the stand.

“This doesn’t sound like a medical procedure,” Web grumbled to himself.

‘I don’t think any of these ponies have ever been to medical school!’

The second witch laughed. At least, Web thought that she was laughing. She also could have been dying of a collapsed lung.

“Young worm, leave. Your presence here is not needed,” she pointed a hoof at the door behind Web as she spoke.

“I am to stay with the King.”

“You will die as a fool,” the fourth, Mind, said.

Mind turned around and appraised Web. Unlike the others, she wore a two-pronged golden cone on her head, the metal twisting around each other and meeting at the tip like the curves of a unicorn’s horn. Come to think of it, it was basically a hollow unicorn’s horn.

Mind spoke again, “You were told to leave. Your presence here will do more harm than good. The next time I speak, you will wish you were not in the room anymore.”

Web swallowed nervously. He was as calm as a soldier normally is. Meaning, he felt totally out of his depth and freaked out at all the occult stuff. The medics back in the Legions didn’t take you to ancient chambers for arcane rituals for a cut, they just covered your injury in goo. Or if it was really bad, they stuffed you into a pod and you went to sleep for a bit.

Under any other circumstances, he would have made himself scarce and slipped away. However, this was not normal circumstances. That was his king lying on what was potentially a sacrificial altar. A king that needed Web to watch over him. Web didn’t trust these creepy bat ponies at all, which meant he had no choice but to stay.

“It doesn’t matter what I wish. My duty is my duty. I stay with my king.”

The second crone spoke up, “Enough prattling! We must commence!”

Mind grimaced, “Stay away from the red fog, skin-walker. In fact, pick a spot and don’t move. And for moon’s sake, stay away from the shadows. Don’t even look into them!”

Not finding a reason to argue, Web sat down right behind a clump of candles at the edge of the outer ring of the room.

“Now,” Mind turned to face King Phasma, “are we ready? Elder Blood? Elder Bone? Elder Soul?”

The second crone nodded, then the first, then the third.

“Then we begin. May the moonlight watch us. May the Night Mother guide us. And let the Blight fear us!”

The four thestrals began to hum and the light was slowly drained from the room. The candles began to burn red.

‘... I should ask for a pay raise,’ Web thought. ‘Err, maybe I should ask for a pay to begin with.’


Aorta watched Elder Sanguine as she slowly sipped from her chalice.

The changelings, thestrals, and pegasus had been brought to a large dining hall. The long, ornately carved wooden table stretched across the lavish room. On one side, tall vaulted windows let in the last dancing rays of the setting sun, shining them up onto the ceiling. On the other wall, several paintings of what Aorta assumed to be Luna standing triumphantly stared at the changelings.

Aorta could swear that the alicorn’s eyes tracked her as he entered the room and sat down at the table.

Elder Sanguine was lounging in a red felt upholstered wooden chair, spying the changelings and pegasus with one eye as she tipped her silver jeweled chalice upwards. The rest of the chairs were lined with a black fabric instead. If that meant something, then the meaning was beyond Aorta’s limited understanding of equestrian social structures.

The pegasus, Daring Do, was sitting at the opposite end of the table, near the door which they had all entered from. Unlike literally everyone else in the room, she actually had food before her. That was something she was taking advantage of, and was wolfing down several servings of some sort of… fruit and vegetables.

Aorta was not an expert on equestrian foods, either.

The dining hall was silent except for Daring Do’s fork and knife scraping against her porcelain plates, as well as the sound of her chewing. Eight changelings, one thestral lady, and two thestral guards who stood by the doors, all watched her scarf down food like she was a starving Tizheruk.

Eventually, Aorta managed to tear his gaze away from the living abyss consuming everything at the end of the table and directed his attention back where he needed to. Elder Sanguine smiled at him

“Are you certain that there is nothing I can provide you, Aorta?”

“I ate on the way.”

Sanguine lowered her chalice to the table, “And just what is it that you eat?”

Aorta worked his jaw in thought before remembering that the Masquerade Protocol was already broken.

“Changelings feed off emotions.”

Sanguine raised an eyebrow, “Emotions?”

Aorta glanced back and saw Daring stuffing half of a baked potato down her muzzle in a single bite.

“Emotions,” he confirmed, not looking away from the sight.

“How exotic. We thestrals enjoy the usual equestrian diet, albeit with some more… seldom seen inclusions and inclinations. However, I cannot for the life of me fathom what consuming emotions is like. I would be delighted if you could elaborate.”

Daring started chugging a tankard, slowly raising the bottom to the ceiling.

“Uh…. We eat love mostly. We can eat some other emotions, but it’s mostly love.”

“What does love even taste like?”

“.... King Phasma said it’s like the first meth high, whatever that meant.”

The tankard’s bottom had pointed straight up before Daring slammed the tankard down.

“I do not know what that means, Aorta.”

“No one I asked did, either.”

Daring pressed a hoof to her mouth to cover up a belch. It was like putting up a screen door to a hurricane; the oppressively loud burp stopped any conversation the lings might have struck up. For a solid five seconds, Daring cleared the air from her stomach. Once it was over, she had the dignity to look embarrassed.

Ahem. Excuse me, it’s been a while since I ate, and I worked up an appetite… My compliments to the chef?”

“I’ll pass them along,” Elder Sanguine mumbled.

Daring looked between the changelings and thestral staring at her.

“Don’t pretend that you’re not contributing to the awkwardness. You could at least nibble on something? Talk? Stop staring at me? I mean, I hadn’t eaten in almost two days, no thanks to you.”

“Speaking of food,” Sanguine switched topics, “I’m afraid we are all out of… love. I can recommend a nice Nebbiolo and complimentary dishes, but as far as emotions go…”

Finally, Aorta returned his full concentration to the conversation at hoof. Though, a part of him would always be sitting there, watching the devouring at the end of the table.

“You needn’t worry about that, Elder Sanguine. We brought provisions with us.”

“Ah, in your saddlebags? That is good to hear, though I feel as if I am failing in my duty to make your stay as pleasant as possible…”

‘Heheh, yeah. In our saddlebags…’

“Saving the King is all we ask. Which brings us to the main topic at hoof; your supposed duty to save the king. Who told you we were coming? How? Why?”

As much as Aorta didn’t want to look a gifted nymph in the mouth, there were simply too many questions to ignore.

Sanguine frowned, “Are you sure I cannot interest you in something to drink or eat? Such a long conversation is hard on a dry throat or empty stomach.”

Aorta suppressed a sigh. It was becoming increasingly apparent that ponies loved to talk while eating, and eat while talking. To get more progress on acquiring answers, he would have to play their little game.

“Very well, I will take this… Nebbiolo, as well as what you recommend with it.”

The corner of Sanguine’s mouth twitched upwards in a smile, “At last, progress. Will your friends be eating as well?”

Aorta glanced back at the other drones. They were trying their hardest to not look bored.

“No, they will secure our things, check on the carts, and make sure we are settled in our rooms,” Aorta replied, not necessarily to Sanguine.

Getting the hint, the other drones rose from their seats, nodded to Aorta, and began to leave the room. One of them tried to motion to Daring Do to follow, but she ignored them and instead maneuvered herself into a seat across from Aorta, at Elder Sanguine left-hoof side.

“Thank you for the meal, Elder Sanguine, was it? I do not believe we have had the chance to speak. My name is Daring Do, and I am an explorer of sorts” Daring said with a smile.

Any sincerity Daring had was self-defeating by the fact that she kept glancing at Sanguine's fangs, and rarely the leather wings on her back which protruded from her clothing.

“A pleasure to meet you, Daring Do,” Sanguine said before turning to Aorta, “Why did you bring a pegasus with you? Is she a member of your king’s troupe?”

Aorta scoffed, “No. She made a nuisance of herself and nearly got us all killed. Were it not for the fact that the King had risked so much to save her life, I would not have brought her all this way.”

“I understand. The mysterious wisdom or eccentric foolishness of the higher ups, no? In that case, a guard will help you find your room, Ms. Daring Do.”

Daring smile had slowly fallen off her face, “I am here for answers–”

Sanguine cut her off, “You are here only due to the generosity of myself and the changeling King, daywalker. The forthcoming Aorta here has made it clear that your wellbeing is needed, but your comfort is not. I will pass your thanks off to the chef, and ask you to retire to your room without protest.”

Daring tried to protest, “I was dragged here against my will. I am grateful for your hospitality, but I wish to receive answers that you no doubt seek yourself. I… ask to stay here and listen.”

Even if Aorta could not taste the pegasus's frustration and muted anger, the struggle to finish her ‘request’ would have made it clear just what the pegasus was feeling. Sanguine, on the other hoof, was merely annoyed. She sent a look of deference Aorta's way.

‘Best case scenario is that I spare King Phasma a barrage of annoying questions from this damned pegasus. Worst case scenario, the King erases her memory, or we slit her throat. What does His Majesty see in keeping her alive, I’ll never know.’

“I will allow you to stay, Daring Do. But do not get on my bad side. If I’m feeling generous, I will ask Elder Sanguine to house you within the dungeons. If I’m not feeling generous...:”

Aorta let the threat hang. Daring sighed softly and nodded. Funnily enough, she wasn’t afraid, merely relieved.

‘Stupid pony, you think I’m bluffing?’

“Now then, Aorta, I assume you are capable of consuming pony foods?”

“We are.”

“Are you capable of consuming… non-pony foods?”

“We… are?”

Sanguine smiled, “Perfect. I am certain you will enjoy what we have to offer, then. Attendant! A bottle of Nebbiolo and two specialty plates!” She chuckled quietly, “I hope you don’t mind that I eat as well. Like the feathered one here, I am myself rather peckish.”

“Just what exactly am I about to eat, Elder Sanguine?”

Elder Sanguine rolled a hoof, “Nebbiolo is a fine red wine, a favorite vintage of the Elders. Truly, it is a treat. The specialty dish is designed to compliment this rare and holy vintage: fine cheeses, buttered vegetables, and braised duck.”

“Duck?” Daring asked, and Aorta detected a bit of.. Sickness? It was a tricky skill to read the more complex emotions, and far from an exact science.

“I see what you mean by seldom seen inclusions. I can’t say I’ve tasted many foods, but I look forward to these… new experiences.”

Sanguine gave a half-nod, “I am pleased to hear that. Now, I would like to exchange questions. If you would prefer to start, I would be delighted to answer whatever questions you may have.”

‘Finally.’

“Yes. I have one question above all others that need to be asked. How are you going to save King Phasma?”

“From the Blight? Yes, we know about it. Unfortunately, in a case as advanced as your King’s, there is one but one solution. We must lure the Blight into a position of weakness. It will not be removed otherwise. At least, I suspect that is the process the Elders will pursue.”

“Lure? How is that accomplished?”

“We must let the Blight take hold weakly in the right and prepared parts. A trap, one that the Blight is utterly blind to.”

Aorta balked, “You’re going to WHAT?!”

PreviousChapters Next