• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,817 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,817

PreviousChapters Next
25- Remus

Thorax sat in a spare chair, leaned against a wall, staring at the ceiling while I finished up today’s paperwork.

“Y’know, when you said I was going to be a Praetorian, this isn’t what I imagined.”

“You said you don’t want training, right?” I answered without looking up. “That means you can’t even have guard duty– which, need I remind you, is even worse than sitting down and talking to me.”

“That’s fair… Then let’s talk.”

“What do you want to talk about.”

‘Don’t expect me to be a savant at socializing, Thorax. I’ve been alive for half a year, and the two changelings I talk to the most are Queen Chrysalis and Chamberlain Eucharis. Actually, Eucharis isn’t that bad.’

“If… If it were possible to avoid podding and instead work with ponies, would you?”

“Hmmm. There would be the issue of convincing Chrysalis, but maybe. It all depends on how much control the ponies would have over us. If our survival depended entirely on their cooperation, that’s quite the risk. They could simply start shackling us over time, with law after law, until we are utterly at their mercy.”

“And we could completely disrupt their entire civilization, their very way of life. Trust goes both ways, Phasma.”

I sighed and stared at Thorax. “I don’t need friendship lessons.”

That got him to laugh. “Friendship lessons? I get the feeling there are some changelings that definitely do need those.’

“Like Pharynx?”

“I mean... I know he’s rude and a loner, but he’s my brother, ya know?”

“No.”

‘Yes…’

Thorax started to explain how he loves his brother despite how cold Pharynx sometimes is, but I wasn’t listening.

‘Another person I’ll never see again. I wonder if I did see my family again, and when I was reincarnated all my memories of the afterlife were erased. A question that will never get answered, I suppose. The oldest question; what happens after life? This is after my life, and I still don’t know for sure.’

“–asma? Phasmaaa? Hellooo?”

Remembering to breathe, I took in a lungful of air and concentrated on Thorax to my side.

“Sorry, I was… elsewhere,” I spoke softly.

“You okay?”

I opened by mouth to answer but paused.

‘Should I– no, no one must know. There’s no telling how they’d react. Chrysalis especially, she might just off me for worries that someone with outside knowledge and morals is in a position of power here in the hive.’

Something brushed against my hoof, causing me to look down. Thorax had put his hoof on mine.

“Hey Phas, you can tell me anything. What’s going on?”

‘I wish that were true.’

“It’s nothing.”

“Nothing my flank! We’re family– practically brothers– and you trust me, right?”

‘You even swear innocently. How the hell can I say no to that?’

“Of course.”

“Then tell me.”

Thorax looked at me with pleading eyes. At least, I think he did. Hard to express emotion with them when they are one solid color. It’s the eyebrows that have to do all the work.

“.... What do you and your brother do for fun? Together, I mean.”

Thorax smiled, removed his hoof, and started telling me about how they would often take flights together, eat every meal together, and sometimes just walk around the hive. During all of these, they would talk about their day, who they met, and their opinions on pretty much everything.

“I don’t know if Pharynx likes the fact that we eat together as much as I do. Any day where he’s too busy with guard duty to come back to our room, I feel… Like I’m missing part of me.”

“Missing part of you?”

I started at my desk, not looking at Thorax while he spoke his part.

“Yeah. I don’t know how to describe it. It’s like…”

“Like you know they give you a headache sometimes, but you cherish the pain?”

“Uh, sure? I guess that makes sense.”

I brought a hoof up in front of my face.

‘How much of me is missing? Thorax is sitting over there with holes in his hooves, yet he’s more complete than I am.’

I heard a scrape as Thorax got out of his chair and moved closer to me. I turned and saw Thorax at eye level, now that he was standing and I was sitting.

“I forget how old you are often, Phas. I’m sure the entire Fang does. It’s hard to remember that you’re just a half a year old, with so little knowledge of who we changelings are–”

“I passed Chrysalis’s history exams with flying colors.”

“–or how you’re put under far more stress than any other ‘ling in the hive–”

I crossed my forelegs. “Someone’s gotta do something about our problems.”

“–or with no social life.”

“W-what?”

He sighed, “When was the last time you played with another nymph?”

“I’m an adult-”

“When was the last time you played sports? Or took a flight, just for fun, with no one watching? Or played cards with your friends?”

I blinked. “... I never got the chance to.”

Thorax pulled me into a hug, the chair I was sitting on clattered to the ground. Aside from my back hooves on the ground carrying some of my weight, I was limp in his grip as he supported me despite my larger frame.

“Thorax?”

“That’s not okay. None of this is okay, Phas. You want to change this, we all know. Please, let us help you.”

After a short while, I raised my hooves and hugged him back. We were quiet for a few minutes before I spoke again.

I sniffed, “A man can die but once.”

“What’s a man?” Thorax asked, his voice vibrating my chest.

I didn’t answer his question.

“I’ve seen many things, Thorax, despite never being more than a hundred hooves out from the hive. Tell not a soul,” my voice wavered, “and don’t let go. I don’t want to drown the world in flame, all I want is to save my people.”

“... You should take up poetry, Phas,” he whispered back.

“Stop ruining the moment.”

I rested my head on his shoulder.


“Now, we’re going to begin with shield spells. They are the mainstay spell of defensive tactics, and so have the most theory and tactics behind them.”

Officer Katydid’s voice bounced off the comparatively cavernous walls of our empty training room. We had chosen this reinforced room, specially designed for magic training, for our first lesson. Thorax stood off to the side, paying rapt attention. After all, defensive magic was fair game for the pacifist.

“First, cast a baseline all-purpose shield spell, My Prince.”

Recalling Chrysalis’s lessons on the different shield types, as well as Katydid’s own on practicing those, I summoned a basic shield matrix.

Katydid walked up to inspect the shield with a closer eye. He hummed to himself as he looked it over.

“Looks good, let’s see if it actually is good.”

He stepped back and casted a directed force spell.

I felt a twitch in my horn as he did so, the force upon my shield sending feedback to me.

“Still holding up, My Prince? Did you feel anything?”

“A slight twitch in my horn.”

“Normally you would feel a lot more drained from getting hit by that spell. Your mana pool must have deepened considerably over our training and your molting.”

“Convenient.”

“I’m casting again,” he warned me

Then, he flung an ice spear and a fireball at my shield. I felt a slight pulling on my horn, but no pain.

“Still good,” I called out.

“Great! Now let’s say you noticed that I have been favoring fire magic. Switch your shield matrix to counter accordingly.”

Katydid ran through different drills, and quickly switched over to not telling me what he was casting next, and instead left me to adapt accordingly.

As our lessons progressed– and as I got more tired and started looking for excuses to catch my breath– I motioned Thorax to come over.

“Hello, Prince Phasma,” Thorax said, using my full title now that we were not in private.

“Hey Thorax. You should participate in this. You know the material, yeah?”

“Mhmm.”

“Excellent. Hey, Officer Katydid!” I called out, “Praetorian Thorax is swapping out for me for a bit. Start from the basics and go from there.”

He spoke as he trotted over, “A Praetorian? I’m afraid my caliber of spells will not be of much practice for you, Praetorian.”

Thorax didn’t maintain eye contact, “Don’t be too sure about that.”

I came to his rescue as I started walking over to the closest wall to sit next to, “I recruited Thorax here from the general population of the hive, not the guard. I would like him to be at least proficient in defensive spells.”

I collapsed with a sigh against the wall, and watched on.

“Oh, I see. Nice to meet you, Praetorian Thorax. We’ll start at the base level, as His Highness says. A basic shield spell is usually the first defensive spell casted first, even though it’s not very effective. You then switch shield matrices when you figure out your opponents preference…”

I rubbed my horn, which was stinging from overuse after hours of quick casting.

Thorax, while not having a superb mana pool, had half decent reflexes and knowledge recall when it came to adjusting his defenses.

‘Not quick enough for the Praetorian guard, but he would make a fine officer. Not that I would ever force him to be one.’

I sat back and watched as Thorax was slowly worn down over the course of more than half an hour.

When I saw him wince when a particularly large acid surge hit his shield, I yelled over to Katydid.

“That’s enough for now, Officer!”

“I was thinking the same, My Prince!”

I made the effort to push myself off the cold, hard ground that was oh so comfortable and made my way over.

“You did well today. Both of you. I take it Praetorian Thorax will be joining in on our lessons from now on?”

“Just the defensive ones.”

“Yes, I would prefer avoiding the rest.”

Katydid sighed, “I’m actually relieved to hear that. I do not want Her Majesty breathing down my neck when she finds out that Phasma’s lessons were drastically cut due to accommodating another. Not that I don’t want to practice with you, Praetorian.”

“I understand,” Thorax said with a smile. “You don’t have to mince words with me, Katydid. This was fun, if a bit scary. Normally I’d leave this stuff to my brother, but,” he looked at me, “I guess I have to own up to my duties now.”

“I’m glad you find it fun, Thorax. These important lessons are often ignored and neglected by the common Swarm soldier. Now, My Prince, we shall begin the offensive lessons.”

“Yaaay,” I said with mock joy.

As Thorax moved to sit by the wall, began the lesson.


By the end, my horn was stinging something fierce.

“Must we go so long?”

Katydid frowned, “I’m afraid so, My Prince. We have so little time, we need every minute of practice you can get.”

I hesitantly raised a hoof to touch my aching horn, but withdrew it with a hiss after tapping it.

“That’s all for today, Thorax” I said, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Alright, take care Phas. You too, Katydid.”

“Till next time, young Praetorian.”

As we watched him leave, I asked, “Young Praetorian?”

“Thorax is quite young for one, yes, My Prince. His mana well is shallower than almost every other Praetorian I’ve trained with.”

“His brother is a Praetorian, and I was under the impression that they were the same age.”

“Ah, his brother is Pharynx, then?” At my nod, he continued, “Pharynx is also very young for a Praetorian. Normally the Royal Guards, as you intimately know they used to be called, are veterans of the Swarm. Pharynx, on the other hoof, was elevated after taking down a Tatzelwurm single hoofedly. Quite the achievement, My Prince.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“You, uh… You two are close, My Prince?”

“Why do you think that?”

“Because My Prince, he didn’t call you Prince Phasma. He called you Phas.”

“What? No he didn’t.”

Katydid squinted at me. “Yes, he did, My Prince.”

‘Did he really call me Phas? I don’t think I’ve ever been called by a nickname before…’

“We’ve known each other for some time now, right Katydid?”

“Yes, My Prince. Most of your life, at least.”

“Then you can call me Phasma. No titles between friends, eh?”

“I’m honored that you consider me a friend… Phasma.”

“Say Katydid, what Legion is picking you up?”

“I am to be the Colonel of the 503rd.”

“Ah, General Labrum selected you, then? I would have thought General Amphid of the Fourth would have taken you first chance she got.”

“Yes, Phasma. General Labrum was apparently impressed with my skills.”

“She’s got a good head on her shoulders, that’s why I picked her for that position after filling the Fourth. Should I start calling you Colonel, instead of Officer?”

“No titles between friends, you just said. The paperwork isn’t finalized, either. Apparently we’re waiting on a certain someone to sign everything.”

I groaned when I remembered the growing mountain of paper sitting on my desk.

‘How do we even have that much paper to spare? Chrysalis must be nabbing more from Equestria, if only to make my life more miserable.’

PreviousChapters Next