• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,964 Views, 12,657 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,657
 30,964

PreviousChapters Next
137- Bes

People had to make room for us on the dance floor. They did so naturally; stepping back to watch two royals make fools of themselves was the natural response, and that gave us more than enough elbow room to not step on anyone.

We did indeed make fools of ourselves, with Luna being overly stiff and unsure of the unstructured dance moves she was doing, and myself being overly nervous and unsure of the alien dance moves I was trying to do. It was a far cry from the dance lessons I had received briefly before the Gala.

Still, I had fun. Even if I was extremely embarrassed, I got to actually dance with Luna. No disguises, no ulterior motives, and most certainly no Nightmares glaring at us from across the room. Instead, there were just drones and ponies, giggling at our awkwardness, but polite enough to get on with their own dances and make us feel less alienated. Also, many of the drones were less than great dancers, given that they were just as unfamiliar with pony customs as us two.

Thorax and Diamond were great dancers. Somehow.

Luna and I got close to each other when the current song ended, and another took its place. Stealing some moves from the people around us, we started dancing fur-against-chitin. Had it been a more formal dance, we would have been up on our hindlegs, holding each other closely.

‘We can try that out later. Maybe in private…’

“Thank you,” Luna said suddenly, having to whisper it into my ear for me to hear it.

“For what?”

“For planning this day. It has been a long, long time since I interacted with my ponies outside of a throne room. I had forgotten just how fun it is!”

“Heh, thanks for… everything,” I said.

“Everything? That’s a lot to take credit for.”

“Well, you–”

“No, no. I shall take credit for everything,” Luna winked.

I chuckled quietly, “Oh magnanimous Princess Luna, how can I ever repay you?”

Luna looked deep in thought for a second, slowing her dancing to think.

“I do not have a witty retort for that. Pretend I said something clever.”

I laughed, and we finished our dance together.

We returned to our table, while Thorax and Diamond were still on the dance floor. Luna and I simply talked about musical instruments, which were new and which Luna recognized, while we waited on our food.

As if guided by a sixth sense, my friends returned just as the greasily, delicious fast food arrived. Judging by Luna’s facial expressions and emotions, the palace staff would be learning how to use a deep fryer when we got back, if they did not already know how to use one.


We got a good look at our vacation spot from the air; Shimmervale was nestled at the roots of the Crystal Mountain Range, where the mountains gave way to the plains that formed the space between them and the Celestial Sea to the east. To the south, Manehattan was only just visible on the horizon. To the north, the mountains held a more temperate valley, famous for its rainbow waterfalls. Beyond that, there was nothing. Similarly, to the Northwest, there was nothing but snow.

The Frozen North once held an entire Empire, Luna claimed. Now, it hosts nothing but wind.

Shimmervale was a large tourist town, having initially boomed on its mining industry, and lately expanding heavily into tourism based on skiing and other mountainous activities. Resorts had sprung up around the river that cut through the town like wild flowers. The alpine-style lodgings had begun to dominate the low bases of the nearby mountains, overlooking the growing town. A light spattering of snow crested the roofs of the town, but the sky was clear and skiing season was only just beginning.

It wasn’t even Halloween yet. Or, as the ponies call it, Nightmare Night. That was next week, and apparently Luna had been invited out to Ponyville to attend it. I was taking the opportunity to finish up some important work in Manehattan, but that was neither here nor there.

The sky chariot that carried us four began to descend to the largest of all these resorts; the Riverrun Resort.

‘Ponies sure do love their alliteration.’

There was hardly much that distinguished it from its neighbors; merely its size and fantastic location made it the crown jewel of Shimmervale's growing tourist industry. While there was only a hooffull of resorts on this side of the town, I knew that in time, there would be dozens. As long as there was reasonable space, there would be ponies willing to pay to develop the place.

“Lightbulb,” I muttered, receiving a few confused glances from the other three. “I think I know of another way to invest our bits,” I explained.

“Of course,” Thorax sighed, rolling his eyes. “You know, I think we’re reaching the limits of what we can spend, Phas, especially with how many bits you’re pouring onto Double Diamond’s parents. Throw that on top of the new pay system, and I think you’re going to overstretch the budget.”

“You do realize that we’re monopolizing an entire industry in the world’s biggest nation, right Thorax? Soon enough, our Hive is going to be an investment hedge fund that has pockets deep enough to rival entire governments. Which is good, ‘cuz that’s what we are.”

“I will never understand how you can stomach all that talk of investments this and profit that,” Luna bemoaned. “It is far too convoluted and dry to be worth spending any more thought than what is necessary on it. I swear, at times I fear that I have involved myself with a ledger, rather than a stallion.”

“You missed your chance to disentangle yourself from me, Luna,” I said, kissing her forehead. “You’re dating a calculator, I’m afraid to say.”

“I do not even know what that is!”

“It’s something that’s going to make the Diamonds and the Hive very rich, once we finish working out solar power and the core of the device. We’re probably going to have to settle with batteries though, which already exist in a crude form. It will have to be enough… The calculating part of it is another beast entirely, and they've been trying to figure out a enchantment-system that can handle simple calculations. I'm sure we'll reach a breakthrough soon, though.”

“Do you know what he’s talking about?” Thorax whispered to Double Diamond.

He shrugged, “Sorta?”

The carriage finished its descent, landing on the strip of road in front of the resort.

A pair of servants opened the carriage’s doors, bowing as they pulled them open. Thorax and Diamond stepped out first, followed by Luna and then myself. Given the sudden interest spiked with fear from the ponies around us, it was quite clear that this was their first encounter with changelings, much like many of the ponies in Manehattan.

“Your Majesties, right this way,” a pegasus in a red bellhop’s uniform said, emerging from the doors. A few more ponies in similar suits rushed out to grab our bags from the carriage. Nodding, Luna walked forward, and the rest of us followed in her wake.

The lobby of the lodge was just as impressive as the rest of it; one massive pine tree dominated the lobby, with a wall of windows behind it overlooking where the ski runs ended at the lodge’s base. The tree’s branches were weighed down with oversized Christmas ornaments, or, as the natives would call it, Hearth’s Warming ornaments.

Given that it was late October, I was slightly sick at the sight.

The staff guided us to an elevator, which we rode to the top floor. The top floor had noticeably few doorways; only four in the entire hall. The bellhop opened one of the doors, holding it for us as we entered our room.

“This is homely,” Luna said as we took in the room.

True enough, it was a far cry from the borderline-gaudy lobby, instead going for a more modern homely appearance. The front area was split into three parts: a massive kitchen, a large dining area, and a huge, two story family room that stretched up to the vaulted ceilings. Warm colors, wide windows, and large sofas, and a moderate sized fireplace took up the majority of the living room, reminding me of a well-off home from Earth.

“A far cry from the Castle or any of Canterlot’s bigger mansions,” I agreed.

“This place is great!” Thorax cheered, sauntering forward to check the fluffiness of the couch’s pillows.

I snorted when he simply face-planted onto the couch.

“Thank you,” I said to the bellhop, giving him a tip. He smiled, nodded, and excused himself from the room.

Luna, oblivious to the modern tipping culture, eyed me curiously as she sat on the far side of the living room.

“This is nostalgic to you?” She guessed.

“How did–”

“I do not need to sense emotions to read a face, Phasma,” Luna remarked.

I sighed, walking over to join her on the couch. Thorax sat up, while Diamond checked out the kitchen, an ear perked in our direction.

“It looks straight out of Earth. I never knew how much I missed squares! Seriously, you ponies seem to abhor straight lines.”

Luna nodded and cast a look around the room, “It certainly seems far too orderly to be truly Equestrian.”

“It’s okay Luna, you can admit that Equestrians are horrible interior designers,” I said.

“The kitchen looks good,” Diamond announced. “Like, really good. I’ll go check out upstairs, you guys finish looking over the first floor.”

“There’s an upstairs?” Thorax asked. “Wait for me!”

Thorax leapt off of the couch and cantered after Double Diamond, who was climbing a large staircase that I had missed at first glance. Dragging Luna by the hoof, I led the way as we finished looking over the first floor. There was a spare bedroom and two bathrooms, as well as the master bedroom. That last room in particular was a welcome sight; a royal-sized bed, a smaller fireplace, a grand master bathroom with a tub big enough for both of us to sit in, which was saying something considering I was over twice the size of a normal changeling, and an amazing view of the mountains.

We returned to the main room to find that our bags had been brought up. Well, Luna’s and Double Diamond’s bags. Thorax and I sorta lacked a lot of stuff, and we each had a single small bag. Actually, Thorax had a large bag, as he actually had some winter gear.

“We need to go shopping,” Luna said.

“We do?”

“If we are to ski, I believe there is equipment required, correct?”

I nodded, “Ah, yes. We’ll need skis, boots, poles… winter clothing.”

Luna grinned, “This will be fun! I have never skied, so this is a first for me.”

“Do we have some sort of… itinerary?” I asked.

“We’ll gear you guys up,” Double Diamond said, prompting Luna and I to look up. He was leaning over a railing above us on the second floor. “Then, this afternoon, you two are going to learn how to ski!”

Thorax appeared next to Diamond, and waved at us. “I’ve still got my gear from Manehattan! It fits pretty well. I don’t think your stuff is going to fit, Phasma…”

“I know, that stuff was sized for Expected Value. What did you two find up there?” I asked.

“Three bedrooms,” Diamond announced. “I think we’ve got more beds than we know what to do with.”

“This lodging has the largest master bedroom, which is something Phasma and I require,” Luna explained. “There is also the fact that we are previewing this room in order to make sure we will be satisfied come Hearth’s Warming. Also, there should be a secondary master up there, correct? I was sure to specify that requirement.”

“That would explain it, yeah I think there’s a big bedroom up here,” Diamond said.

“Excellent. Celestia will be taking that room, then.”

“Not us?” I asked. “I figured Celestia would try to take the master–”

“She will make do with the secondary,” Luna dismissed the idea.

“Heh, works for me. So a room for us two, Thorax and Double Diamond, Cadence and Shining Armor, Celestia, and one bedroom left for Coxa and Lace. Heh, everyone’s a couple except Celestia. We probably shouldn’t mention that fact to her. More importantly, where the hell are the Elements going to stay if they come?” I wondered. “Are there pullouts in the couches?”

“Are there what-nows?” Luna echoed. “Phasma, if we are short on bedrooms, we will rent more.”

I blinked, “.... We can do that?”

Luna nodded, “It will be costly, but so long as we do it soon, we can find availability, not to mention the fact that money is not an issue for either of us. Still, you have no idea how much of a headache getting this room was on such short notice.”

“I thought Celestia would have been the one to get this place.”

“You seem to be guessing incorrectly a lot today,” she teased.

“.... Yeah now I don’t believe you,” I said, shaking my head.

Luna huffed, “Okay, Celestia was the one to acquire this room. But!”

“But?”

“.... I took credit for everything, remember?”

I rolled my eyes.


We went shopping.

It went… poorly.

Luna and I were on the main room’s massive couch, while Thorax and Diamond were suiting up to head out.

“I don’t know what I expected,” I muttered.

Luna patted me on the back.

“To be fair, every single one of us forgot that stores do not carry alicorn-sized boots or skis.”

“Sorry again,” Diamond called out.

“Not your fault,” I said quietly.

“It’s a good thing you can disguise yourself and use that set that does fit,” Thorax said.

“It’s not the same,” I moped. “I was looking forward to skiing undisguised. Well, it’s a slight problem in our plan. I’ll just have to make sure to get a properly sized set of boots and skis before Hearth’s Warming.”

“Alright,” Diamond said. “We’re set. I’m going to take Thorax out, and teach him how to ski. Then I’ll come for you two, okay? It’s easier if I can guide you one at a time.”

“That sounds wonderful. Thank you for this, Double Diamond,” Luna said.

Diamond blushed, “Aw, it’s nothing, Princess! Thanks for paying for this great room! Dad was right, you really gotta get rich friends…”

“Are you saying we are friends?” Luna asked.

“Oh! I, errr, yes? That is, if you wish–”

“Huzzah! I have been back for less than a few months, and I have already made more friends than that old nag has in decades! Eat my shit, Celestia!”

I leaned over, “You just say ‘eat shit.’”

“Eat shit, Celestia!”

“Perfect.”

“... You’re a bad influence, Phas,” Thorax shook his head. “And you overloaded my colfriend!” Thorax started dragging Double Diamond out. “We’ll see you in like an hour or two.”

The door shut behind them.

“... What the hell are we going to do for a whole hour?” I wondered out loud. “I should’a brought some work with me, I could have used this time to work on drafting the constitution!”

“Excuse me? Have you already forgotten that this is a vacation, Phasma?”

“Well what the hell are we going to do, then?” I repeated myself.

Luna leveled a stare at me.

‘I’m not a workaholic, I swear! I just find statecraft to be fun….. for now! I’m sure the honeymoon phase will end sooner rather than later, and this will all become burdens.’

Suddenly, Luna put on a mischievous look, “You know, one hobby I tried my hoof at was being a masseuse.”

“A…. masseuse?”

She shrugged, “I thought it would acclimate stallions to me more, allowing for more personal relationships. It did not really work. In fact, it had the opposite effect more often than not.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, Luna…”

Luna shook her head, “That time was not wasted if my skills can bring you any comfort.”

“Uhh…..”

She rose and led me by the hoof to the master bedroom. I stopped before we got halfway there.

“Wait, I probably need to disguise first. I can’t imagine massages working on chitin.”

She paused and waved at me to go ahead.

After disguising myself as Expected Value the unicorn, I decided to point out the obvious.

“You know, I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be the coltfriend who gives the massage…”

Luna guffawed, “Hahahaha! With those massive hooves?! We would have gone extinct had that been a regular practice before copulation! I would think receiving a massage from a rockfall would be more relaxing. You are mixing your customs up with ours again, Phasma.”

I stared at one of my hooves, “They’re not that big.”

“It was a joke, Phasma. A joke. Mares pursued stallions traditionally, remember? That means we often had to learn such skills to court the ones we desire. But if those clumsy oafs paid attention and learned from us…” she trailed off.

“I’ve had hooves for twelve months, Luna, it’s a damned miracle I can gallop in a straight line. I don’t think I can easily learn a skill that requires such finesse.”

She gave me a smile that screamed ‘danger.’

“Then we might need to do this a few times,” she whispered.

Then, she teleported us above the bed, sick of my delaying tactics.

Author's Note:

I have a Ko-Fi if you want to support me.

PreviousChapters Next