• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,823 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,823

PreviousChapters Next
117- The Final Masquerade: A Concerto For Lies

‘Who would have thought that after all of these months, I would return to the scene of my greatest defeat as a tourist?’

I had arrived in Canterlot around noon, through a short tunnel the changelings found that led to the Crystal Caves. Then, I briefly checked up on everyone. The boxes of supplies, materials, bits, and other items looked out of place when stacked up against the ancient crystalline walls. In the larger chambers, changelings were running drills, practicing clearing hallways and rooms throughout the tunnels, and preparing the Fifth Hive for a possible extended stay within the Crystal Caves.

The digging operation was underway. There was a sealed tunnel that exited in a water drainage system, near the palace’s dungeons. From there, it was just a short walk until you got so close to the palace that all that stood between you and its prisoners was a ten hoof thick wall. Honestly, Celestia was kinda lacking when it came to protective measures.

The changelings would work towards breaking into the drainage system, and from there, the dungeon itself.

I didn’t know what happened to the two or so other ponies that were in a relationship with revealed changelings, but I knew that Double Diamond went to visit his family for the time being. It was imperative that he not be in Manehattan without us there to protect him.

With my suit retrieved, plans in place, and Unbroken Radiance hoofed over to the thestrals just the day before, I was ready for the Gala. With a rented fancy carriage, I set off from the Hive and into Canterlot proper.

Now, I sat in the covered wagon, curtains drawn closed as I prepared myself and went over my contingency plans. I practiced my evil monologue, my one-liners, and dramatic poses. The difference between a ‘villain’ and a ‘super villain’ was, after all, presentation. To the Equestrians, today I would be a villain if I had to.

Then we arrived at Canterlot Castle.

The carriage pulled to a stop. Even through its wooden walls, I could hear the clicks of cameras outside. The paparazzi had come equipped with cameras, despite their expensive nature. This was, after all, the end-all be-all for Equestrian society.

It was the day where the latest fashion came to thrive and to die, in its impossible to predict cycles of life.

It was tonight where fortunes would be made over dinner conversations and business deals.

It was now when the summation of Equestrian society was presented to the world.

It was here where Princess Celestia would address the nation, her words printed all over tomorrow’s newspapers, though Daybreaker would be filling that role now.

It was at the Grand Galloping Gala where the fate of the world would be decided.

The covered carriage’s door opened, the tuxedoed disguised earth pony bowing to me as he let me out.

The red carpet was literally rolled out tonight. As I stepped out, I took in the sights. Ahead of me, the various nobles, celebrities, and invited press walked slowly up the steps of Canterlot Castle. Where tall, intricately designed castle walls normally stood unadorned, banners, flags, ribbons, flower bouquets, and bright magical torches hung and flowed from nearly every exposed inch around the castle’s doorway.

The streetlamps themselves had more flowers hanging beneath their crystal bulbs than many middle-class gardens had year round.

The ponies themselves wore extravagant gowns, dresses, tuxedos, and costumes that wouldn’t look out of place at a Viennese Masquerade parade. Fabric flowed like gushing rivers and streamed behind ponies like bridal shawls. Glitter and real gemstones sparkled and dazzled in the fading afternoon light and magical glow like the stars themselves draping across the ponies.

The press were gathered at the red velvet ropes on either side of the staircase, snapping pictures and yelling questions at the ponies ahead of me. Several stopped to answer questions, give autographs, or share jokes with the crowd of sycophants.

It wasn’t just the classical music and sound of conversation coming from past the open double doors and windows ahead that filled the air. Just between me and the door, I could pick out conversations about manecuts, fashion gossip, who was seen with who and where, accusations of adultery and other outrageous comments, opinions on the latest developments of the war, faithless declarations of faith in Daybreaker and the E.U.P., and on, and on, and on.

I had thought that I would be the only one to arrive at this ball with a mask on. It quickly became clear that there were seldom few bare faces present tonight. Hell, not even the Elements of Harmony would be entirely honest and forthcoming tonight. Tonight, history would be made, and not the kind that sticks in magazines for a few months.

But instead, the kind that would be told for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

I began walking up the carpeted steps, slowly passing celebrities as they stopped for their five minutes of fame with the press. I smiled, not quite just to fit in. I was myself a bit elated to be back here.

‘Canterlot. How nice it is to see you again. Shame our last meeting was not quite agreeable for either of us. Don’t worry, I’ll try to not set fire to you tonight. No promises, though.’

A few eager ponies took my picture as I passed them. Even if they would throw away the pictures after, it was important to get pictures of everyone attending tonight. There was no telling what kind of drama might unfold inside, so getting a shot of whomever was responsible or the victim made each picture worth taking, if not keeping.

I myself, disguised as the blue unicorn with grey mane Expected Value, wore an expensive tux. I also put on a few pieces of jewelry, just enough to get by. A gold chain necklace with ruby and emeralds in an alternating pattern, pearl cufflinks, and real gold trimming at the hem of my waistcoat, sleeves, and collar. There were nobles here wearing the entire GDP of small nations, but anyone with an eye for wealth– that being every pony present– would see me and see not the fake I was. I would look just as noble and fit in as nearly everyone else here, though of obviously possessing a more modest sized pool of bits.

All this time, I paid little heed to the press, to the nobles and celebrities, to the flowers, to the faint scent of a hundred different perfumes and a thousand different emotions mixing together. My attention, and I was careful that it was absolutely hidden, was on the Royal Guards.

They stood like statues across Canterlot Castle’s entrance. At equally distanced spots on either side of the staircase, they stood guard. On either side of the door and up behind parapets and turrets, they watched. In their shiny gold armor, beneath their long pikes, halberds, and lances they stand ready for battle. Not an inch out of place. Not a sigh or a slouch was seen nor heard from them. Equestria’s finest had come to stand and watch as rich fops strutted about like bejeweled peacocks.

But Equestria was a nation at war. At the door, the two large wooden and ornate constructs pushed outwards and anchored to the ground, there was a large group of guards that held my attention in particular.

Four were Royal Guards in full plate armor. Unlike their less armored cousins, their armor was pitch black and covered in gold filigree around the edges, much like myself. Each was a unicorn, and brandished staves of wood topped with crystals.

‘War wizards.’

Fetched from their postings across Equestria, these formidable heroes would have given the Legions pause had they been encountered together and ready for a fight. The four stood abreast, two on either side of the door. Between them, three more people stood as the final line of defense at Canterlot Castle’s entrance. Three people: two Inquisitors in dull red robes underneath chest plates, peytrals, and boots, and a changeling disguised as a matte black earth pony with no Cutie Mark. He was a lonely island in a sea of emotions.

He wore only a metal collar.

Now that I saw him, I spied a few more around the defenses. Peeking out between the guards up top, several Inquisitors stood next to collared changelings.

Occasionally, one would steal a glance towards me when their minders– when their slavers weren’t paying attention. It was quite clear that they had all sensed me when I arrived in Canterlot. I would need to send them a message before one of them spoke up, or let something slip. If only I had a way to address every changeling in Canterlot without a single pony hearing what I had to say...

"Yes, it is me who you sense. Prince Phasmatodea of the Fourth Hive lives yet, and I have come tonight for all of you. Keep silent, and this shall be the last night you will be bound in irons. In the name of the Hive Eternal, I order your silence. By Panar, I swear that you all shall be free tomorrow, whatever else comes of it. As it is woven, so it shall be.”

I didn’t break stride as I passed the ponies and followed the trails of others on Canterlot Castle’s front steps. I smiled and nodded to the ponies that snapped my photo, but didn’t slow down. I stepped around a couple that had stopped in the middle of the steps to pose dramatically for one of the press ponies that were on the steps and on their way inside. I headed for the doors, and for the bound changeling at them.

‘There’s no strike team coming to free these changelings. I’ll have to be the one to do it if things don’t go as planned, or even if they do. These few Inquisitors might be under the Dead Hoof Protocol’s orders already.’

There was a small line in front of the door, but it moved quickly ahead. In front and quickly enough behind me, the invited aristocrats chatted amongst themselves about nothing in particular. Feelings of anticipation, of excitement, of fear, and of happiness slushed around me like a boiling broth.

After a short moment, there was only one soul between me and the Grand Galloping Gala. The pony ahead of me, a grey stallion with a white curled mane, hoofed his invitation over to one of the Inquisitors. The Inquisitor opened it, looked through it, then looked over the pony. Hoofing it off to their side, an attendant took the invitation and bowed, leading the way for the noble inside.

I stepped forward as another attendant took the first one’s place by the Inquisitor.

‘Having invitations checked by Inquisitors, are we? No butlers for this, only unicorns trained to spot fakes and changelings.’

“Invitation, sir,” the Inquisitor demanded politely, but still demanded.

I levitated mine over, having carried it from the carriage. The armored unicorn opened the sealed letter, a white rectangle sealed with a gold wax impression of the Crown of Equestria, and looked it over. Nodding, he hoofed it to the assistant, who bowed to me and led the way inside.

Normally, my identity would be spotted as a fake immediately. But what did Equestrians know about thestral nobility? As long as they proved it with paperwork– which they did– then they would make no arguments.

The changeling kept silent, out of the way, and didn’t even acknowledge my presence beyond an initial glance.

‘Hold fast, my ling.’

The attendant, a smaller red pegasus in a two piece tuxedo uniform, led me into Canterlot Castle. I stepped past the threshold of the doors, inside the castle for the first time since… since…

The ponies ahead quietly admired the décor of the Castle’s interior. Just like its exterior, the castle had been filled to the brim with flowers, lights, ribbons, and other extravagant décor. I saw a completely different story. I saw the Castle when it was at its worst.

I could pick out the spot where Praetorian Weevil had his throat torn out. I could see in my mind’s eye the area where the Will of the Nine had made their stand against impossible odds. I could see the blood, if I just concentrated…

My hooves kept moving, uncontrolled by my mind. I followed the little attendant, the pony blissfully unaware of the blood that once marred the polished marble tiles of Canterlot Castle’s foyer. He stepped through the memories of dead changelings, whose eyes never closed. We didn’t go up the large staircase in the middle of the room. I was grateful beyond words for that. If we had to pass where I ordered Oestridae to make his stand and hold the line...

Of all the things to be humbled by, I didn’t expect that it would be the past.

We instead went down the right corridor at the foyer’s lower area. I didn’t think I knew what was down here. Perhaps the ball room?

‘Oh, yes. The ball room. That’s where the ball is being held, right. Of course. I knew that…’

I shook the specters of the past from my head and put some pep in my step. Light shone into the corridor from above; a stained glass mosaic showered a hundred colors onto the hall below. Pillars of red, gold, green, and blues extended down from the glass depiction of Daybreaker breaking the Legions at Canterlot and pursuing them out of Equestria.

‘But of course she has to remind everyone of just who the biggest bad in town is, and how she saved the day. As if I needed a reminder.’

I saw the small glass outlines of the dead changelings, and did something I don’t think I ever did before.

‘Panar. If you can hear me, take care of them. Please. I failed to protect them. But I will not fail tonight, I promise that.’

I nearly bumped into the grey pony ahead of me. Coming to an abrupt halt, I realized that we had reached the end of the corridor and the trip down memory lane. The entryway into the grand ballroom was ahead, its bright lights illuminating the hallway in front of me. The attendant left me in line and delivered the invitation to a butler standing at the opening to the large room.

The din of conversation, the calm overture of the orchestra, and the taste of emotions was at its peak. I could spy the details of the large ballroom from here. As I waited for the butler to announce the aristocrats ahead of me, I took in its details.

There were little decorations on the walls, for each was composed of towering sections of stained glass. Though the pillars in between did have flags of a red sun hanging from them. Grand chandeliers of glass and crystal shone brightly, hanging from the rococo ceiling above.

Below– for the entrance was up above a staircase– ponies milled about in the low hundreds. Many gathered around tables, while others walked about, huddled in conversation, or visited the buffet on one side of the room. The far side held a stage where one musician was clutching a large hurdy gurdy, belting out a loud song and backed up by a full orchestra.

I watched as she finished her piece, packed up her instrument, and left the stage to a round of applause from the gathered ponies. She was replaced by a grey earth pony mare with a violet motif dress, carrying with her a cello nearly twice her size.

‘A single performance. That’s all that musician made, and it will likely make her fortunes.’

“Announcing Hoity Toity of Canterlot!” The butler yelled ahead.

There was a small round of applause as Hoity Toity bowed slightly, and gracefully took the steps down to a gathering crowd of press and ponies. They clung to him and trailed him like the stretches of lace and fabric that trailed behind the behinds of many mares that had come in dresses.

Then, the butler took my invitation off from the stack that was set next to him, and looked it over.

From our position at the top of the staircase, I could see the entire room and everyone in it. There were Royal Guards stations around the perimeter, a fact that I noticed at once. At the far end, behind a table set above all others and sitting on what could almost be described as a throne, she sat.

The pony whose actions and decrees decided the fate of millions. The pony who had personally slaughtered what was likely hundreds of changelings, though I hoped less than that.

Princess Daybreaker, alicorn of the sun, Nightmare blight upon all that is holy and good in the world.

“Announcing Baron Expected Value of Mont Crystal!”

I slowly walked down the steps, Daybreaker's presence demanded my attention

The towering white alicorn sat on her throne, a smile plastered across her face. She wore her armor, the orange, red, and yellow set befitting her fire mane and tale. Her peytral, visible even at this distance, was bigger than some ponies, and displayed her Cutie Mark with unplaced pride.

Panar willing, she would die tonight.

It infuriated me how good she looked. Then again, I was a sucker for orange.

Beside her, her two proudest trophies sat. Princess Cadence and Princess Luna. None of the three alicorns were up here, greeting their guests. Such an act was beneath the Princess of War and her captive entourage.

‘Luna.’

She sat next to her possessed sister, trying her damndest to not appear bored or pissed. She wore a different set of regalia than normal; it was as silver as Daybreaker’s fur. Her boots, peytral, and tiara had been sized up and set with purple jades, sapphires, and amethysts. Her mane was–

My hooves met the ground level when I had expected more steps, literally jolting me out of my thoughts. Luna disappeared behind the heads of the taller ponies of Canterlot, who prided themselves on their height and massive manecuts. If I wanted another look at Luna, I would have to get closer.

“Baron Expected Value!” A pony wearing a press badge and a brown fedora barked in my face, “Would you remind Equestria just where your noble line hails from?”

‘A tactful way of asking just who the hell I am.’

Several other journalists gathered around, notepads at the ready. I continued walking forward, so as to not block the staircase.

“I am a Baron of Vallachia. My family has ruled over Mont Crystal since it was first founded, a thousand years ago,” I answered, mimicking the thestral’s Hollywood vampire-like accent.

‘Heavy emphasis on the consonants and C’s and CH’s. Good thing my mother made sure to teach me how to mimic accents on the spot.’

“You are a unicorn noble from the thestral nation?” Another reporter asked.

“I am a unicorn noble from Vallachia,” I corrected her under no uncertain terms.

“Does the unicorn tribe feel they are mistreated or underrepresented in the thestral nation?” A third reporter asked, clearly trying to get under my skin.

“No. Enough questions now, I seek to enjoy the evening,” I said, trying to dismiss them.

The effort seemed to be in vain, as three more asked their questions at the same time. However, I was saved by the butler at the entrance to the ballroom.

“Announcing Prince Blueblood of Equestria!”

Suddenly, I found myself in a small clearing as the journalists vanished into thin air. Taking the small miracle for what it was, I beat a hasty retreat from the entrance area and delved into the Gala proper. What snippets of conversation and jokes I had overheard earlier were just the appetizer for the main event.

All across the room, ponies were carousing, playing cards while sipping from champagne glasses, cracking jokes, striking deals, reuniting with old friends, sending back-hoofed compliments and other barbed insults to former lovers, spouses, friends, and business partners, complimenting or insulting each other based on the clothing they wore, and remarking on just how well the war was going for Equestria.

It made me realize that I had no plan once I actually got inside.

There were few choices of distraction that I could see. The majority of the entertainment seemed to be in the company the Gala provided. After wandering for a bit, I found a group of tables that the staff had used for setting up some poker games. Not my first choice of entertainment, but one I would gladly take.

Picking an open seat, I sat down and looked around the table. The dealer was a white unicorn, wearing a gold and red vest, and the green visor every poker dealer was required by Hollywood law to wear.

The open seat was at the end of the table, so only one pony was to my side. Said pony was a white unicorn, wearing a fancy tux and monocle. If it weren’t for the difference in clothing, I would have mistaken him for a butler, or given his massive size, some sort of Royal Guard.

“Good evening, the game is Appleloosa Hold ‘em,” the dealer greeted me as I sat down. He was shuffling two decks of cards, so he wasn’t breaking anyone’s concentration by speaking to me.

“How do I buy in?” I asked, curious as to how that was handled.

“If you’re looking to gamble, then you’ll have to find another table,” the unicorn next to me said.

“I’m just looking to play,” I answered.

The neighboring unicorn grinned, “Then you’re welcome here. Sir Fancy Pants, I never really cared for gambling,” he said, extending a hoof.

I met it with my own, “Baron Expected Value, neither did I. Shame it’s almost always attached to these fun games.”

The four pony players at the table all nodded along. I realized that these ponies were dressed a bit more conservatively. Past Sir Fancy Pants was an old grey pegasus mare in a pink dress and matching feather boa, a thin brown unicorn stallion in a tux, and a blue earth with a golden blonde mane and necktie.

Compared to the walking freak shows that were dresses and hairstyles around the place, these ponies seemed pretty normal.

The unicorn dealer magically dealt out two cards to each player, and a moderate section of chips to me in my corner. I discreetly checked the cards while everyone else did the same.

‘A pocket pair of jacks? My, my, this game is starting off strong.’

“Baron Expected Value, may I introduce you to Perfect Pace, Mirror Finish, and the lovely Madam Coton à Broder,” Sir Fancy Pants said, starting from the far end and ending at the elderly mare sitting by his side.

“Oh, you’re such a kind colt,” the mare crooned.

“Well Madam, I would introduce the other stallions here as lovely but I don’t think they would appreciate the gesture as much,” Sir Fancy joked, getting a chuckle from all of us.

The ponies began betting, with the big blind starting on the far end of the table, Perfect Pace. Mirror Finish put in his small blind, and the ponies began betting, starting with Perfect Pace again.

“So Baron, eh? Just where are you from, if you don’t mind me asking?” Sir Fancy asked, sliding a few chips forward.

I mirrored his move, starting off with a modest bet.

“Vallachia.”

The ponies ooh’ed.

“That would explain that,” Fancy smiled. “I would love to hear what that’s like. I don’t think anyone here at this table has even been west of Las Pegasus, so coming from the Unexplored West is quite the… exotic tale.”

The ponies all met the new bet, and then we all checked. The dealer revealed the three flop cards. A third jack was one of them, and the other two were rather uninteresting.

‘Three of a kind. I should win this hoof.’

“It is certainly different from these lush valleys, I must admit. Vallachia is a gorgeous place, I will attest, but the greens here are… greener,” I said in my Vallachian accent.

“And the thestrals? What’re they like?” Pace asked, as he checked again.

‘None of these ponies probably ever saw one, and tonight might be their first experience meeting one.’

“The thestrals…” I began, thinking of what to say, “... I must admit, it is hard to come up with a generalization of an entire tribe.” The ponies nodded before I continued, “But I would say that they are dedicated to the protection of the County. Such fierce loyalty and desire to protect others is something to be admired.”

The other ponies had all checked, but I placed forward a moderately sized raise. Perfect Pace folded, but the rest met the raise.

“Is it true that they drink blood?” Madam Coton asked.

“Wh– oh, no Madam!” I said, stifling a laugh.

The ponies continued to quiz me as the last two rounds were played. The last two cards were a pair of threes, making my hoof a full house. Likewise, their questions were somewhat surprising, and often thought-provoking.

“Yes, we have heard of chocolate, Mirror,” I answered with a chuckle. “It was brought to Equestria long before the ancient war.”

‘These ponies are really grilling me on my Equestrian history!’

Eventually, the four players left in the game revealed their hoofs of cards.

“Full house: three jacks, pair of threes,” the dealer announced my win.

“What a lucky first draw,” Sir Fancy nodded towards my revealed cards as I collected the pot of chips. “One might call it beginner’s luck.”

“There’s nothing lucky about being dealt a pocket pair,” I joked, causing him to snort in laughter.

The big blind moved up to Mirror Finish as the Dealer dished out the next set of cards.

Once more, we all checked our hoof.

‘A ten and a nine. A significant downgrade.’

The starting bet was just as small and careful as last time, so I met it anyway.

“You know, Sir Fancy Pants, you have me at a disadvantage. Here you have me going on and on about myself, but I know next to nothing about the pony sitting right next to me,” I began as the dealer revealed the flop.

‘A ten. That gives me one pair.’

“Well I run a function or two in town…” Fancy Pants said sheepishly.

“Ha! Please! Sir Fancy Pants here practically runs the city itself!” Mirror Finish exclaimed.

“Oh I don’t know about that…. I do run several notable societies, it’s true, but Canterlot was here before I was born, and it will be here after. I just find helping around to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience.”

‘Huh. That’s pretty modest. Maybe this Fancy Pants guy is a cut above the rest of the schmucks here.’

The bet was raised again, by a small amount this time. We all met it, apparently not quite satisfied with any of our cards. There were no expert players here as it turned out, only novices. The real die-hard fans of poker were fished away by the tables who gambled actual bits, as it turned out.

“Several notable societies? Which would you say you find the most enjoyable? Or at least, a very interesting one?” I asked, looking to continue the conversation to pass the time.

“Good question,” he answered, thinking. “Hmm…. I would say the Chairpony of the Wonderbolts Society here in Canterlot. Quite embarrassing to say that I run a glorified fanclub, but I am just so stricken with them! Not to mention, such a position has its perks and no shortage of autographs.”

“Wonderbolts?” I asked.

The dealer revealed the fourth flop card.

‘A nine. With two pairs, I can probably win this hoof.’

Sir Fancy started to gasp but stopped, “Of course, you being from Vallachia probably haven’t heard of the greatest fliers in existence!”

“The fastest fliers!” Madam Coton agreed.

“The most skilled pegasi alive,” Perfect Pace praised.

“I see enrollment in the Wonderbolts society is a requirement,” I said.

The ponies laughed before Sir Fancy Pants explained, “They are the greatest fliers in Equestria. Though they are technically part of the Royal Guard, they do flying shows across the entire nation. Even now, during the war, they still wow crowds and give unforgettable shows!”

The last card was revealed, as were all of our cards. Surprisingly, Madam Coton had a higher two pair, giving her the win. As the dealer collected the cards and began shuffling again, the orchestra changed from a slow, quiet song to a louder, more attention-grabbing waltz.

“That would be the dance starting,” Sir Fancy Pants pointed out, the look he gave me clued me into the fact that he said it for my benefit since I was a foreigner.

“Ah, thank you, Sir Fancy Pants.”

“Please, call me Fancy.”

“Only if you call me Expected. Or Value, either works.”

Fancy chuckled, “Very well.”

The cards were dealt, and I asked, “So, does anypony have somepony they plan on dancing with?”

‘A jack and a two. Nothing yet. Still, a facecard has potential.’

With the big blind on Madam Coton, I would have the small blind next turn, and the big one after that.

‘Best win some chips to have a safety net. I think this round, I’m going to try bluffing, despite the fact that I’m actually kind of a bad liar.’

I shook my head at that admission. A changeling being a bad liar was like a bad caricature or a flipped stereotype.

“Looks like he’s not coming,” Madam Coton murmured.

“Expecting somepony?” Mirror asked.

I placed a large raise. Perfect Pace and Madam met it, while Mirror Finish and Fancy both folded.

“Yes. A distant nephew who is often more rude than not, but one of the few family members who actually cares to visit,” she said, a bit coldly.

“I am sorry to hear that, Madam,” Fancy sympathized. “What’s his name?”

“Count Double Dealings.”

The dealer revealed the cards as I suddenly found myself extremely warm and uncomfortable.

‘N–nothing. Scratch hoof, and sitting at the same table as someone related to that scum-sucker.’

“Oh. That Count,” Mirror said, clearly unhappy with the answer.

“I see you’ve met him, then,” the old mare joked.

“Aye, I have. Grifted me a pretty penny and left me in a ditch,” Mirror grumbled.

“I am sorry, Mirror Finish,” Madam Coton cringed. “I can pay you back. It’s no trouble. How much was–”

“Enough to survive without, Madam. I appreciate your kindness, but it’s my fault for trusting a stranger so much.”

Perfect raised the bet a lot. Madam Coton folded, possibly just so she could speak undistracted to the upset pony sitting next to her. I raised again. Perfect met the raise, and the dealer flipped another card.

‘Nothing again! This is no time to fold though, I need to double down.’

“Still, it wouldn’t sit right with me to leave this injustice. Please Mirror, let me pay you.”

“You don’t have to cover for that backstabber…. Why do you want to, anyways?”

“He’s family,” she confessed. “We don’t choose who our family is. We just try to understand them, and learn to love them. Sometimes they hurt us. Sometimes they give us a Hearthswarming gift that you remember for decades,” she sniffs. Madam Coton pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed at her eyes, “He comes here just to see me, you know. He doesn’t care about the Princess, the charities, the nobles, or anything else. He just comes to see me, and ask me about my day. I know he’s not the nice colt I watched grow up, but I am worried about him. He should have been here by now. He… I haven't received any letters from him in a while now.”

I raised and tried to ignore the pony claiming that my potential murderer was a saint.

Perfect Pace met the raise, yet his focus was on Madam Coton.

“Have you tried visiting him?” Fancy asked her.

“I can’t travel. Not anymore. He supports me by sending bits a few times a year, but he didn’t send any last month.”

‘Oh fucking hell! Now you’re telling me that this bastard had some good in him? Fantastic, I can’t wait to have to be the one to explain to this old pony why I killed her son-of-a-bitch nephew. I’m probably also going to have to pay her pension or whatever…. Yeah, I’ll do that, regardless of whether or not I have to. My grief was with the Count, not the family that depended on him. Damn it, he had no note of sending money to a relative! It was all off the books and undocumented!’

The dealer revealed the last card.

Madam Coton continued, “Princess Daybreaker even responded! She said she would investigate the matter personally. She spoke to me this morning, and said that Count Double Dealings would be here today. But I don’t see him….”

“Pair, aces high,” the dealer announced.

“Princess Daybreaker said that he’ll be here?” I asked as Perfect Pace collected all of the chips I bet.

“Indeed. Now I suppose I should go speak with the Princess…”

“Maybe he’s just late, or held up elsewhere?” Fancy offered. “If he cares that much about you, I doubt he’d skip out on seeing you again.”

‘You’re not going to trick me into feeling guilty about killing him. I feel bad for his family, but that’s it.’

I suppressed a sneer as the dealer hoofed out another round of cards. The big blind was on Fancy Pants now, so I had to pay the small one.

“I hope you’re right. I’ll wait a bit then… maybe speak with the Princess during the dinner, or some other time she isn’t busy,” Madam Coton agreed, negating any need for me to keep her here or something.

I was beginning to stress out about this.

‘Daybreaker personally investigated the Count? And said he’d be here? Is that just confidence in her own abilities, or something more? She knows I’m alive… Does she suspect that I was responsible and will be here? Is she onto me and our plan to get rid of her?’

Everyone checked up to the big blind. The dealer revealed the three flop cards.

“Sounds like it has something to do with this war,” Fancy guessed, “because I can’t imagine Her Highness personally investigating for anything less….”

Fancy raised, and I folded.

“Do you think he’s in trouble?” Madam asked.

“Nah,” Perfect Pace interrupted, “I’m sure he’s just off supplying some secret mission or something. You hear about that Division-P that’s all over the place now? They even had them at the doors to the palace!”

“That's what those weird guards were?” Mirror asked.

Pace nodded, “Oh yeah. You all saw that black stallion that stood next to ‘em, right?” We all nodded. “Turns out, that’s a changeling!” Perfect Pace whisper yelled.

“A changeling?” Fancy asked.

“Yeah. You saw how he didn’t have a Cutie Mark, right? That’s why.”

“Right here in the palace?” I asked, trying to not sound completely silent.

“Apparently Division-P is holding them all prisoner here. My brother over in Canterlot Times says that they got an anonymous tip-off from within the palace itself. That’s what today’s newspaper was all about!”

The other ponies gasped.

“I must confess, I came from out of town….” I said slowly.

“Today’s paper was… well, I didn’t believe it at first,” Fancy said, turning around to bring me up to speed. “Some weird stuff. Included some horrible claims that they were hurting their prisoners, and that Princess Cadence and Prince Blueblood were in charge of it all.”

“Royalty, hurting prisoners? Alicorns do not do such things,” I said dismissively.

“Normally no,” Perfect Pace answered me. “But the tip-off suggested that they were nothing more than puppets!”

“Sounds like more war gossip,” Madam Coton said, still subdued from her earlier freakout.

I sighed, “Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, whether true or false, are often revealing.”

The ponies, even the dealer, nodded at that. I found the employee’s response particularly funny.

“There’s so little truth nowadays,” Fancy moaned. “I fear that you may be right, Expected Value. It’s like there’s something rotten here, in the heart of Equestria. That changeling invasion made everything so complicated…”

The game continued, with the ponies betting low amounts, and everyone dropping out until Fancy took the pot by default.

“War this, war that…” Fancy sighed. “This war is dangerous, and not just to our boys and girls that we send off. Hate grows like a weed. I’ve never seen anypony this anxious or suspicious of each other.”

“Those darn changelings hurt us badly,” Mirror grimaced.

“I just hope the war ends soon.”

Everyone nodded and looked at me, making me realize that I was the one who said that.

“What’s the war like over in Vallachia? It sounds like it’s even spread over there, too,” Fancy asked me.

“There was an attack, not long ago. Some very important ponies died, and now I think even the Princesses suspect our loyalty,” I admitted. These ponies weren’t going to talk much, so I could spill a little truth.

‘There’s me again, being the worst liar in existence. It’s like a running joke at this point. Maybe all this talk about murder put me in a bad mood, where I feel like I have to make it up to them by saying the truth? Fuck if I know, I’m no shrink.’

“Ponies died and the Crowns suspects you?” Pace asked me.

“... War is complicated. There is more to this one than anypony realizes, I think,” I shrugged. “I’m just a Baron. These things are above my station…”

Speaking of being above my station, I caught the eye of a thestral, watching me from a distance.

“Ah. I see somepony I must speak to tonight. I’m afraid I must quit the game before I lose track of her.”

Fancy reached out to stop me, “One more game? I’d hate for anypony to leave on such a sour note,” he said, not exactly talking about my tiny stack of chips.

I reluctantly agreed, “Very well. One last game.”

The dealer dealt out the cards, and I peeked at my last hoof.

‘An ace and a king. Hm.’

“Got a good hoof there?” Fancy asked me.

“Perhaps,” I said.

I had the big blind, so either way, I was putting half of my remaining chips into the pot in the center.

“Check,” Perfect said, meeting the big blind from his small one.

“Check,” Mirror said, adding his chips.

Madam wordlessly added her own chips.

“I’m in,” Fancy nodded, checking.

The dealer revealed the three flop cards.

A ten of spades. A seven of diamonds. A Queen of Spades.

‘No. Surely not...’

“Check,” I said, wanting to see what happens.

“Check,” the two far stallions agreed, not adding any chips.

“Raise,” Madam Coton said quietly, throwing in a few chips.

It was somewhat hard to hear her over the music and the conversation in the room. I realized that there was no small amount of fear and sadness coming from her direction.

“Raise,” Fancy said again, tossing in significantly more.

“Check,” I said again, meeting his bet out of curiosity. It left me with a single chip, sitting next to my face-down cards.

“Fold,” Perfect Pace said, throwing a hoof up,

“Fold,” Mirror Finish said a moment later, shaking his head.

“Check,” Madam Coton said, just as quietly.

The dealer flipped over the fourth card. Nine of clubs.

‘Damn. Don’t think it’s going to happen, then.’

“All in,” I said anyway, dramatically pushing my single chip into the center.

The ponies laughed, and Madam Coton met the raise.

“You’ve really got me sweating here, Expected. That’s a big raise,” Fancy said.

If he said that when I first sat down, I would have thought it an insult. Now I know that he wasn’t the kind of pony to go around punching downwards, and saw it for the sarcastic joke it was.

“It’s okay to admit you don’t have as deep of pockets as I do, Fancy,” I answered, grinning slightly.

“Oh we’ll see about that. All in,” he declared, pushing his sizable pile of chips into the center.

Now even Madam Coton was giggling.

‘Well if he was hoping to bring her out of the dumps, mission accomplished.’

“I, heh, I fold,” Madam Coton said, smiling despite herself.

“All in,” the dealer laughed as he flipped the last card.

Just as my jaw dropped, I tasted a wellspring of happiness next to me.

“Jack of Spades,” Fancy Pants read the card out loud. “Oh, mare! I’m sorry your last game was like this, but at least it was funny, Expected!”

He flipped his two cards.

“Eight and Nine of spades. A straight flush,” the dealer announced, shaking his head slowly.

“It was fun, Fancy Pants,” I chuckled. “But the truth is, the game was rigged from the start!” I yelled.

I dramatically flipped my two dealt cards.

“King and Ace of spades! A royal flush! Baron Expected Value wins!” The dealer gasped.

“Celestia’s titanic tits!” Madam Coton swore.

“Pfffff!” Fancy tried to cover his surprise and laughter.

“Bahahahaha!” Mirror broke into laughter, smacking the table repeatedly.

Several ponies looked over, attention caught by the sudden laughter and noise.

“I’m never gonna see a game as great as that one again!” Perfect said, jaw wide and staring at our revealed cards.

“Better– ha! – better luck next time, Fancy!” I said, wheezing.

“Oooh my Celestia! How did...! Wow! That’s amazing!” Fancy laughed. “Congratulations, Expected!” He said as he shook my hoof.

“Four pocket spades in two hooves…” Perfect muttered.

“What a game!” I shook my head. “Not even I expected that! Wew….” I split my new chips into two stacks, and gave one stack to Madam Coton and one to Fancy. “You two can have my winnings. Fancy for the great game and company, and Madam for, well…. I hope you find some answers soon. About your nephew, I mean.”

‘Whatever he did, you don’t deserve the loss of family. Oh boy, that’s not going to be a fun reveal.’

“Thank you, young Baron,” Madam Coton said, smiling.

“If you’re ever looking for an open seat, there’ll be one here,” Fancy said, with agreements from the other two stallions at the table.

“Till our paths cross again,” I nodded to the four, and left to find the thestral I had spotted earlier.

I crossed the floor, past tables of ponies going back to their games and conversations after the outburst that interrupted them. The pony I had spotted earlier was still there, waiting at a table with two other ponies of the same tribe.

“Baron Expected Value. I do not believe we have met yet. I am Elder Mind.”

I looked the thestral over as I sat down across from her. She was wearing a long red and black dress with a tall collar sticking out from around her neck.

“If you were hoping to blend in…” I muttered.

“I did not. I am to be seen here, standing out,” she answered.

‘We are being watched, and they want to use that to their advantage.’

“I see. It is nice to meet you… My Elder?”

She nodded, “It is a pleasure to meet you at last, Baron Expected Value. I have heard many interesting things about your lineage.”

‘Are we doing the double speak thing? I think we’re doing the double speak thing.’

“Is all well in Trotsylvania, Elder Mind?”

“No. Trouble brews, as you already know,” she said quietly. “You will remain here with me tonight.”

‘That’s what the note was talking about? Our plan is in danger?’

“I was rather hoping to dance.”

“You will remain here, and admire the ponies around us.”

‘We have to be seen sitting down here, the entire time? Hmph.’

Elder Mind glanced in the direction I came from, “That was a loud outburst. Socializing with the ponies here isn’t a bad idea. What was so funny as to cause such loud laughter?”

I shrugged, “I won a card game, beating out the rare second best set of cards in the game, with the extremely-rare best set in the game. The fact that I put in my last single betting chip was funny. The fact that my opponent needlessly put in all of his chips, when he only needed one, was hilarious. All together, it was quite the game.”

“Ah, I see. You may return to that table, if you wish. So long as you don’t leave it.”

“Why? Afraid I’ll go up and greet the Princesses?”

Elder Mind fought a frown, “The Princesses are busy, and we wouldn’t want to impress poorly upon them.”

“They seemed kind of bored when I entered…”

“You will remain here, Baron Expected Value. I will make it an order, if necessary.”

“If you order me so, My Elder.”

‘I’m not going to dance with Luna? This is a crime. A crime against love. I better get Cadence on the case.’

“If, for whatever reason, Daybreaker decides to have a conversation with you, refer to her as Your Royal Highness. She prefers that title. Try not to make her mad… Not very helpful advice, I know, but it is all I can offer. Do not make a fool of yourself or Vallachia, or we may all pay the price.”

“I thought it was customary for the Princesses to greet their guests. Would it not be considered an insult if we do not go up and greet them ourselves?”

“It is a small slight, but a forgiven one, considering the kingdom is at war. Customs are exchanged for security, you know. So once again, stay here. I know you have your eye on Princess Luna.”

I frowned, “I would have thought you would keep that a secret.”

“There are few bachelors in Vallachia who wouldn’t try to have a dance with the Princess of the Night. I know of your desire, and the moment you approach the Princesses is the moment they learn of your desire. It is nearly impossible for a young stallion such as yourself to keep secrets like that.”

“And you believe that I shouldn’t attempt to ask Princess Luna anyways?”

“We do not know how Princess Daybreaker will react.”

I sighed.

“We have your coat here, Baron Expected,” Elder Mind said plainly.

“Here?”

“With us, right now, yes,” she said, using a wing to give me a thin winter coat, which I put around the back of my chair.

‘Unbroken Radiance is right here, at this table? They must’ve smuggled it in using Royal Guards in on the plan and placed it beneath the table.’

“Thank you for your preparedness, My Elder. I was worried that this stiff jacket was all I would have to keep me warm. I guess word of my habit of never leaving home without a jacket made its way to Trotsylvania?”

“There is little else to talk about, so rumors like that sustain the court’s interest. You should be accustomed to wearing so little in these warm climates.”

‘What’s that supposed to mean? Is she calling me out for needing a suit of armor in order to not get my shit kicked in? Or is she just continuing the cover conversation?’

“My coat isn’t as thick as Equestrian ponies,” I answered.

‘I’ll fucking lose to Daybreaker if I go without my stuff.’

“Then perhaps you should learn a spell or two to aid you,” the thestral smiled.

‘Get good? You’re telling me to get good?! I’m already as skilled as I can be in the small time frame allotted, you overgrown bat!’

“Unlike the clothes of the Trotsylvanian court, I wear jackets that don’t make me look like a villain from a cheap horror movie,” I whispered.

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying you look like a vampire, Elder Mind.”

“I don’t– I look like a vampire?” She asked, genuinely shocked.

“Extremely. I don’t know if that’s a stereotype that came to be because you’re thestrals, or because of the garments themselves, but to me you scream vampire.”

“These styles have been the height of fashion!”

“For how long?”

“... A couple hundred years.”

I laughed, “You’ve stereotyped yourself. Enjoy being called a bloodsucker. Meanwhile, I got my suit made here in Equestria.”

“I see…. Then again, we are meant to be seen and appreciated. We are Vallachia, and we represent all of it.”

‘We’re supposed to be a distraction.’

“Right,” I muttered. “I see your point. Is there anything else you wish to tell me, Elder Mind?”

“I would wish that you avoid the celebrities and nobles of this Gala as much as possible, though I am too old for wishes. If somepony, say the Wonderbolts or the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, speak to you, be mindful that you are representing Vallachia.”

‘If you are approached for whatever reason, just act cool and don’t blow our cover.’

“Yes, yes, mother– I mean, yes Elder Mind.”

“That should be all,” Elder Mind said, sitting back in her seat. The two other thestrals at the table, stallions wearing black suits with red fabric interior– of course, had remained silent during the conversation.

Elder Mind turned away and started watching the ponies around us. Whether she was interested in how Equestrians interacted, or was just trying to keep an eye out for anything happening, I was too busy thinking to care.

There was something that just didn’t add up.

'Count Double dealings here tonight. A photo of me in Vallachia… Daybreaker knows I'm alive. She knows I'm coming tonight. She doesn't know that I know all of that. Did she expect me to use his identity to get in? It would have been a suitable identity, except for the fact that he would know ponies here, meaning I would have to know ponies here. Ponies like Madam Coton… But again, would she know that? I don’t think so. She probably thought that I would use his identity to get in. Or maybe I’m over analyzing this… Oh damn it, there’s no clear answer and I’m just talking in circles.’

“Sir Force, if you could get us some refreshment,” Elder Mind asked, glancing at one of the thestrals sitting at the table.

“At once, My Elder,” the thestral said, standing up and vanishing into the crowd in a near instant.

‘If Daybreaker knows that the thestrals are not loyal, then the plan must have been altered so that the thestrals would stay here and be watched the entire time. I would also be part of that distraction. But if she knows that the thestrals are not loyal, then us doing nothing would also be suspicious, right? So we have to do something? Something… something…. hmmm…’

I looked in the direction of the royal table. I could see the alicorns from this table. The most noticeable thing– besides Luna, of course– was that I could actually see the glow that Daybreaker’s mane gave off, reflecting in the stained glass window behind her.

She was addressing a pony standing in front of her table, with Luna and Cadence watching on. I also spied Captain Shining Armor sitting next to Cadence, whispering to her. Luna was now starting to fail at hiding her boredom, circling a silver-booted hoof across the table in front of her. She had likely been sitting there for hours now, and would normally be sitting there until the end of the Gala. At least Celestia had got up in her time to greet the guests, now they were nothing more than glorified trophies…

Speaking of trophies, I saw God-Splitter. The hammer was displayed on a pedestal, head supported by a brace structure, and the handle sticking up and to the side. It was like they never moved its positioning after pulling it free. Or did I leave it in a wall, and not the floor? I had been quite occupied at the time, so that detail slipped my mind.

Keeping a note of where it was, I reached a decision.

‘Fuck it. If things go bad tonight, there's a chance that I will die. A very good chance. I can't get taken alive. I just can't. My backup plan isn't guaranteed to save me, either. The Fifth Hive will endure, but I might not live to see tomorrow. Yeah, in that case, I'm getting my dance.'

I rose and pushed myself away from the table, garnering Elder Mind’s attention immediately.

“Going back to your poker game, then?” She asked.

“I’m going to go ask Princess Luna for a dance.”

Elder Mind did a double take, “What?! I ordered you–”

There was no easy way to tell her my conclusion without breaking our cover. So I interrupted her as I turned away.

“I don’t care. I’m getting that dance, and you can’t stop me.”

“Get back here at once, Baron!” She hissed.

“Enjoy the evening, My Elder!” I called over my shoulder.

Between myself and the alicorns was about half of the section with tables on my right and the dance floor on my left. Walking through the dance floor was a no-go, neither was walking in between the two; I had no intention of photobombing everyone here. That left awkwardly weaving through the tables as ponies walked around, bringing food and drink and getting them from staff.

Bobbing and weaving around was a rather easy task. It was avoiding certain ponies that was difficult. I spotted several members of the Wonderbolts in their unmistakable skin-tight leotards hanging around the far end of the buffet, snagging a few light snacks for themselves while joking around and talking with excited fans.

One of those fans had a very distinctive rainbow mane coloration…

‘I see. This place is going to be like a minefield of important ponies. If I am to avoid– oof!’

Distracted by the Element bearer by the Wonderbolts, I didn’t see the pony walking my way. We collided and the mare who I walked into fell back onto her haunches.

“Oh, I’m sorry–” I began.

“My apologies–” the mare, a white unicorn, started saying.

‘There seems to be a lot of white unicorns around.’

“No, it’s my fault, I wasn’t looking where I was going,” I said while offering a hoof to pull her up.

‘Wait a second….’

The unicorn took my hoof and I helped her up. She brushed off her pink, gold, and lavender dress. She grimaced at a few wrinkles, and used her magic to iron them out. I recognized this pony. I had met her only once before, but I knew her description well enough.

“As if this day can’t get any worse,” Rarity, bearer of Generosity, grumbled.

“Oh don’t say that. It can always get worse.”

“Perhaps you are right. In hindsight, this night is still recoverable.” Rarity looked at me, taking in the sights apparently. “Do I know you?”

“No. Baron Expected Value of Vallachia,” I said, extending a hoof.

She took it and shook it gently, “Lady Rarity… of Ponyville,” she smiled. “I could have sworn we met before. I’m getting the strangest sense of–”

“I would never forget a face such as yours, Lady Rarity. If you’ll excuse me, there is somepony I wish to speak to,” I said, trying to maneuver around her.

“If you’d kindly humor me, Baron Expected Value…” She put a hoof under her chin as she thought. “It’s so strange. Like part of me deep down knows you…”

‘Damn it magical Elements of Harmony, quit your snitchin!’

I sighed, trying to move the topic along, “Your day not going well, Lady Rarity?”

“... I can’t place your face. Oh well. I’ve had a bad conversation or two, as have my friends. Really, it’s like we are only finding the worst Canterlot has to offer tonight.” She shook her head, “You say you are from Vallachia? Is that not the thestral nation?”

‘Keep looking Rarity. I’m certainly no saint.’

“It is the nation with thestrals.”

“Oh, but there are other tribes there, too? That is most interesting.”

I tried once again to leave, “Yes. Now, as much as I’d love to chat, there is somepony I really would like to see.”

“Of course, darling. Somepony dear to your heart?”

I smiled, “Something like that.”

“Who is the lucky mare? Or stallion, I don’t judge, unlike some ponies around here,” she practically growled the last words, sending a glare off into the crowd around us.

‘What the hell, she’d probably see us together and connect the dots anyways.’

“Princess Luna,” I said.

“Princess Luna? I suppose we’re all after the prince or princess of our dreams, then,” she said with a sheepish smile. “But take my word on this; prepare to be disappointed. You never know what a pony is like until you meet them. Not that Princess Luna is anything less than one of the finest ponies in Equestria, mind you, but… she is a rather busy pony.”

‘I don’t think I need to worry about that, Rarity, but thank you for the advice.’

“Thank you for the warning, Lady Rarity. Now–”

Any confusion she had at that moment cleared up, leaving just a faint taste of elation coming from her. Rarity was staring me in the eyes. My orange eyes...

‘Uh oh, epiphany inbound!’

“Wait a second, you’re….”

Fear.

“The world is a big place, Lady Rarity, but at times it can be so small. Remember the one pony you’re supposed to save tonight.”

I quickly trotted on, brushing past the stunned pony and delving further into the crowd. Rarity called out after me once, but any hope of finding me was quickly lost as I twisted and turned around the last tables of the area. If she wanted to speak to me, she would have to catch me when I was by the alicorns. That was something I figured she didn’t actually want to do. Not when everything was at stake.

The sitting area ended before the steps up to the slightly raised area. The space inbetween the sections was empty, save for the six Royal Guards standing like statues in front of the steps. A small line had formed in front, with ponies seeking to see the princesses forming a short queue.

Most of the petitioners of the Gala were merely extending their greetings to the Princess of the sun and her host of alicorns. A few gave gifts, trying to garner some goodwill or favor from the Princess. Each one had their gift incinerated, with Daybreaker citing security concerns.

That was another thing. This close, I could hear Daybreaker’s voice for the first time.

“I thank you for your support and dedication, Magistrate Check List,” she spoke to the black pegasus ahead of me. Her voice was like a distant rumbling thunder, restrained by regality and tact. “You have served the Crown well in these times of hardship.”

“I serve Equestria, Your Royal Highness,” the pegasus bowed.

He stepped to the side, walked backwards down the steps, and turned only when past the guards. I was now at the front of the line, and the top of the steps.

Daybreaker’s gaze turned towards me. Suddenly, I felt very hot and nervous. Luna had worked to cover up and disable the mark that the Nightmares had scorched into my own mind. Neither of us had any clue if it would work, and neither of us remembered to do much about it. So either Daybreaker would skip over me, or she would know who I was instantly. Or at least, what a Nightmare has done to me.

‘Perhaps I could cover it up with the idea that I was attacked by a Nightmare in Vallachia.’

I stepped forward and bowed. As my nose nearly touched the cold polished marble floor, I spied both Princess Luna and Princess Cadence staring at me. Luna sat still, and I could see her dress of matching blues that blended with her coat. Cadence had a dress of white and gold, matching her former aunt’s colorings.

I could taste their sense of surprise upon seeing me and recognizing my disguise. I was bowing before Princess Daybreaker, out of place and potentially jeopardizing everything.

‘Yeah, I’m stepping out of line. I am having less and less faith in our plan anyways. Let’s just hope my backup plans work. Preferably the first one…’

Daybreaker, who I could feel the heat of now that I was so close, was not in a dress or beautiful princess regalia. In an outfit suitable only for war, she made her presence and power known to any who looked upon her; her helmet, peytral, wing guards, and boots were all made of the orange metal that shimmered in the light of her own mane. The scant few orange gems on her armor sparkled in the firelight, and shimmered ever so slightly purple from the enchantments embedded into their crystalline forms. Her mane was like a billowing cloud of fire, lazily whipping back from the top of her skull. Her eyes were inverted versions of my own, and their stare could burn holes in metal. Now, they stared at me.

My heart fluttered. I was almost within reach of Luna for the first time since the invasion of Canterlot. But between me and her stood a monument to all that was wrong with the world.

“Greetings, Princess Daybreaker. I am Baron Expected Value of Vallachia. I extend wishes of well being and success in the war to you and your family, Your Royal Highness.”

Now that I was directly addressing the alicorn which had scoured the lands of changelings, I surprised myself. I had to fight a sudden spike of anger. I expected the fear, and the nervousness, but the anger caught me off guard. In hindsight it was obvious why the sudden urge to cave her skull in came to me; she was personally responsible for the death of hundreds of changelings.

And here I was, doing everything I could to save them all. I had even flown back into a city on the cusp of exploding just to save a single drone. A single drone that meant nothing and mattered little, and therefore meant everything.

“Vallachia,” the embodiment of the sun muttered. “The breakaway state founded by traitors. Have you come to bend the knee and finish your return to where you belong?”

“That is for my masters to decide, Your Royal Highness,” I said, still bowing low.

“Yes, your ‘masters.’ They had come to me earlier today, yet still they refused their place in Equestria. Why is this?”

‘Fuck if I know. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you are a Nightmare, you piece of…’

“Vallachia has kept to itself for generations, Your Royal Highness. All we have of the old world and our old place beneath the alicorns are stories. Fear stays our hooves, I believe. But I cannot speak for my Elders. I am just a lowly Baron, Your Royal Highness.”

Daybreaker leaned back in her seat. I heard it creak under her weight and the heat of her flames.

“If you do not bring a message of submission, then why do you come to me?”

I rose from my bow and met Daybreaker’s stare, “I have come to ask the beautiful Princess Luna to a dance, Your Royal Highness.”

Shock. The first emotion I tasted from Daybreaker that wasn’t just the dismissive hate and boredom that seeped into the area around us like a very thin fog. It wasn’t just Daybreaker that was shocked. Luna and Cadence had been startled by the request. Luna because she knew who I was, and Cadence because of the fact that someone had asked in the first place. Even Captain Shining Armor, the unicorn I had not seen since I had crushed him months ago, turned my way to look at the fool who asked a Princess to a dance.

“You believe a Princess would deign to dance with a lowly Baron?” Daybreaker asked, eyebrows high.

“I believe she might, and I had hoped for an answer.”

Daybreaker’s eyebrows fell back into place, her face a mask once more, “You are so vain as to think that because you might have a chance, that you should take it and make a fool of yourself and waste our time? My little pony, that was an unwise decision.”

“As you say, Your Highness, but love is like war; only the daring win.”

Cadence snorted quietly, amused by the comparison.

The soft crackle of Daybreaker’s fire was her only response as she stared me down. That gaze that could melt metal was in full force, trying to discern… whatever it was that Daybreaker was thinking.

Then, her stare was replaced by a pleased look that crept across her face. Lips parted, revealing a set of sharpened fangs, about the size of Nightmare Moon’s.

“If only we had more stallions as bold as you, Baron Expected Value. This war might have been over before it began. You may ask Princess Luna,” the Nightmare said, gesturing to her smaller sister, sitting next to her.

“Princess Luna, may I have a dance?” I asked, bowing slightly and stretching a hoof out to her.

Luna gaped, looking between me and Daybreaker.

“I…”

Daybreaker rolled her eyes, “It’s very easy, sister. One word, two letters.”

“I accept, Baron Expected Value,” Luna said, trying to compose herself.

I smiled.

“You accept?!” Daybreaker gasped. You didn’t have to be an emotion-stealing parasite to tell that she was surprised.

“I do, sister,” Luna nodded before rising from her seat.

Luna walked around the table, past a few guards that stood up on the raised section with them, and met me in front of Daybreaker. She took my hoof and I led the way down the stairs, turning my back on Daybreaker. It was the first time we touched outside of a dream since I threw her into a pod.

Her horseshoe was cold, but her smile was warm.

‘Foals and nymphs, look away! Hoof-holding!’

Luna was afraid, but mixed into that wonderful taste of fear was the bubbly, even-better taste of happiness.

“Thank you, Princess Luna, for honoring me with this dance,” I said as we slowly walked away and towards the dance floor.

Ponies were moving out of the way, forming an avenue towards the center of the floor, where a large clearing was opening up. The band had stopped playing, instead starting to prepare for another song. The press ponies were snapping pictures of us as we walked together. Whispers and quiet conversation reached our ears as ponies talked while looking at us.

“Tell me, Baron Expected, do you feel particularly suicidal today? That was quite the bravado you showed to Daybreaker. It’s not something she will forget,” Luna whispered today.

All it would take was a single enhanced hearing spell to overhear our conversation, so we would have to speak in code and maintain our disguise.

I looked up at Luna. While disguised, she was taller than I.

“You are worth it.”

“I am? A candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, young stallion.”

“It’ll all work out in the end, I’m sure,” I tried to assure her.

“So confident…. Very well, Baron Expected. Shall we?” She asked as we stopped in the clearing.

The space was right in front of the Gala’s orchestra. Who, at the Princess’s signal, began to play their song. The ponies around us began to waltz along to the song, and Luna and I began to waltz as well.

That was no simple or easy matter. Quadrupeds waltzing was less so like two people, close together, dancing as one, and more like two people, dancing in perfect synchronization, occasionally holding a hoof, spinning their partner, or whatever other maneuvers the dance had. Some waltzes had the ponies on their hindlegs, like a human would dance. This song was one of those dances, so plenty of couples around us were up on their hindlegs.

However, such a dance position was reserved for romantic couples, which Baron Expected Value and Princess Luna were unfortunately not, despite the real truth of our relationship. So we danced on all four hooves, mostly three at a time, with our fourth holding each other.

I was also just a little bit sad. The feeling came when the song started, and it never left.

“Something wrong?” Luna whispered, seeing my face fall slightly.

“I didn’t expect this song.”

“Is there something wrong with it?”

“No, no… I just heard it long, long ago. Once upon a december…” I hummed.

‘Things my heart used to know, things it yearns to remember!’

Luna nodded, understanding my meaning. Her presence was more than comforting. It was absolutely addicting– no, enthralling.

“You are better at this than I expected,” Luna whispered as we waltzed.

I blushed, “W–well, I may have managed to fit dancing lessons into my busy schedule.”

“Dancing Lessons?” Luna asked.

‘How, is what she really wants to know.’

“Even if you wouldn't dance with me tonight, I knew that you would eventually,” I whispered back.

“Such determination… one might call it fanaticism.”

I chuckled, “You caught me, Princess. I stalk ponies, and I have pony-lampshades at home.”

“Pony-lampshades? You would have gotten along well with Nightmare Moon with that humor…”

“Now’s not the time to talk about her, Princess Luna.”

“No, no it is not,” she grinned.

‘Ah. There it is.’

Luna let go of her fears and worries, letting herself get lost in the dance and our embrace. Fear had been replaced by love.

‘Love for me…’

I mentally balked at the idea, even as I almost started to salivate at the delicious emotion’s presence.

“I am happy you asked me for this, Baron Expected. I didn’t think I would enjoy it as much as I am.”

“Careful now, Princess Luna. You get too excited and you start doing horrible things like using more contractions,” I joked.

Luna laughed, “You are a terrible influence on me, I should think.”

“Am I? Should I leave, then?”

“Don’t you dare.”

We laughed, and we waltzed the rest of the song in silence, just appreciating each other’s company. I also may have nibbled on her love. Just a little bit. A bite here and there... Being surrounded by it– no, being the target of it was simply irresistible. They say the best food is the food you don’t have to pay for, but they have no idea what it is like to feast on love directed towards you.

Okay, I drank myself full on it. Love freely given is painless to take, and its absence is unheard of. She was like an endless fountain of drugs, all for me. I could have filled myself on it for hours, and Luna would be none-the-wiser. A pony in love with a changeling… this was the revelation of biblical proportions that Thorax had discovered. There was so much! Who knows why it produced more, and who cared?!

It made me realize just how much indoctrination a drone would have to go through in order to be an Infiltrator. To experience so much love in their lives, and willingly part with it? They had to all be insane.

And that was just my stomach speaking. Actually being here, with Luna, in person? I was so excited that I practically vibrated in her grasp. Several times, I had to remind myself to just breathe in and out. I suspected that if I was undisguised, I would do something fatally embarrassing such as chirp like a cricket, like Thorax did. As a pony, I merely felt my tail swishing back and forth behind me, like I was a puppy.

I made no effort to control it.

“I wish this moment would never end,” I mumbled.

“There may be more in the future, if you are lucky,” Princess Luna winked.

“Oh no. I have terrible luck, Princess.”

Luna laughed, “Then you will just have to work hard.”

The song ended, and we parted. As we bowed to each other, I felt cold. The ponies stomped and clapped an applause, not only just for the orchestra’s performance.

‘I managed to not make an embarrassment out of myself. Check that off the bucket list!’

“Alas, our song is over,” Luna said, taking my hoof and frowning.

“More in the future, right Princess?”

“More in the future,” she agreed, her smile returning.

I escorted her back to the royal section. I could see butlers and maids setting up a few tables behind the royal one as we approached.

‘Almost time for the dinner, and time for the Elements to do their work.’

I stopped at the guard line at the bottom of the steps. Luna let go of my hoof, and I bowed once more.

“Thank you for the dance, Your Highness.”

“I thank thee as well. It was most enjoyable,” Princess Luna said, slipping a bit back into old habits. She was likely a bit afraid of going back to sitting next to Daybreaker.

‘And there’s nothing I can do to help her.’

Daybreaker for her part was still stunned. A more subdued, disguised surprise, but she was still trying to piece it together.

‘I guess alicorns fall in love so rarely that her sister finding someone she fancies is a genuine shock.’

Cadence was smiling down at me, and tearing up a bit. I saw her turn to her side, and ask Captain Shining Armor a question.

‘Something along the lines of, ‘when’s our dance?’ I’m guessing.’

As Luna retrieved her seat and parked herself onto it, I came to the painful conclusion that it was time for me to make my exit.

For soon it was time for King Phasma to make his entrance.

I bowed deeply and backpedaled, turning away only after paying a healthy amount of respect and not pissing off Daybreaker. Though my act of turning my back on her earlier probably undid any of that effort.

I dodged around reporters that took my picture and asked questions I didn’t care about. I avoided nobles who wanted to know just who had danced with Princess Luna herself. I simply slunked into the crowd, using its numbers to lose the tail of paparazzis and brown-nosers.

Eventually, I managed to make my way back to Elder Mind’s table. She was still there, though now had a tall glass sitting before her, and an ugly scowl on her face.

‘Someone’s mad at me.’

I took the chair opposite her and plumped down with a sigh.

“Are you happy, lover-colt?”

“Mmmm,” I grunted, smiling.

“You look like a dumb-struck foal. Have you forgotten how important this day is to Vallachia?”

“Is dancing with Princess Luna so damaging to our image?” I asked, poking a hole in her double-speak rebuke of me.

“You know why I am upset with you.”

“And I don’t care. If you try to make everything go along with your perfect plan, your hope to appear prim and proper, then you’ll just fail, and uh… only come off as fake,” I said, trying to cover up the fact that I said this was planned.

If any pony was listening, that would have been a red flag.

A waitress arrived, carrying a stack of menus. She dispensed a few to our table, and moved on. I grabbed one with my magic, and slowly looked it over. Across the table, Elder Mind sneered at me and grabbed a menu for herself.

‘So much food… but I’ve already eaten, hehe.’

“My little ponies,” Daybreaker’s voice echoed across the ballroom.

‘Ah, that’s that famous Royal Canterlot Voice I’ve heard about.’

I looked up at her. I could see the tops of heads of ponies sitting behind her.

‘Everyone is in position.’

Conversations ended as everyone shifted their attention towards Princess Daybreaker, who was standing up and addressing the gathered crowd.

“It is during this time where I usually honor the heroes and upstanding citizens of the Principality of Equestria,” Daybreaker continued, at a quieter volume. She gestured to the princess sitting behind her, “This is the first year that my dear little sister, Princess Luna, is back at my side, her rightful place. The years were long without her…”

There was a subdued applause.

Daybreaker gestured to the table behind and to her left, behind Luna. “I must also honor the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, who came together and faced adversity to defeat Nightmare Moon, and save my sister.”

Another round of applause, louder this time. Daybreaker had put out a decent amount of propaganda, praising the bearers and their efforts.

“And last, but most certainly not least, Captain Shining Armor and the rest of the Royal Guards. Our brave stallions and mares who have paid the ultimate price in the name of peace and Harmony; those who have died to save us all from the changeling menace. We shall remember their efforts, and thank them for it for the rest of our lives. Captain Shining himself turned the tide of countless fights.”

Everyone applauded that. If there was something people loved, it was good war stories. Fight back the bad guy, win the girl, the whole deal. Captain Shining for his part looked embarrassed and waved during the loud applause.

“But there is one last effort I must congratulate,” Daybreaker said as the applause died down. “The Elements of Harmony, Princess Luna, and even Princess Cadence have all worked to achieve a common goal. Unfortunately, that goal was high treason.’

‘Oh fuck. I hate being right.’

The crowd gasped and murmurs of confusion started to fill the hall. Royal Guards stepped up behind the two princesses, and no doubt to the Element bearers.

“But, my little ponies, it is important to remember that we are all Equestrians!” Daybreaker yelled.

“King Phasma,” Elder Mind whispered. My head whipped to her as she spoke my name. “Put on the suit,” she whispered as she affixed a long twist of metal to her head.

Something slid across the floor and bumped into my hindleg. I looked down and saw a wooden crate had been pushed next to me.

“Sister, you are mistaken–”

“We must be united against the changeling menace!” Daybreaker yelled as I cracked the crate open and pulled the tightly packed armor set out.

The two thestrals at the table scooted over and covered me with their wings as I quickly put the armor on. The process was difficult, but I had been training for this. Buttons were ripped off, thread was pulled, and my tuxedo was cast off.

“I desire answers, Luna. I desire recompense. You will repent your sins, and embrace Harmony once again. Why have you worked against me? What have I done to you to deserve this pain?”

I slotted my hooves into the boots of the armor, which shrunk to fit me, and wrestled with the large barrel piece.

“... I will save you, Celestia. I will. But first, I must defeat this Nightmare possessing you. Then, at last, we will be united again. No Nightmares can keep us apart!”

I closed the last clasp, and put on Unbroken Radiance’s helmet.

“I fear your time alone has jeopardized your sanity, Luna. For your own good, surrender. I want to help you.”

The thestrals closed their wings, and Elder Mind nodded to me. Ponies around us looked at me, with my shining green armor, and at Elder Mind, with her shining head ornament.

“There are changelings at the entrance to the palace. Save them,” I ordered the thestral as I stood up.

“If that is what you order me to do,” she said, referencing our earlier conversation.

I nodded, “It is. I’ve got a Nightmare to kill.”

“No, Daybreaker! It is you who are insane!” Luna yelled from across the room.

“I will save you Luna. And I will save the ponies you are trying to damn with you,” Daybreaker responded, her voice filled with pain.

I left the thestrals, and began trotting towards the alicorns, too involved in their feud to see anything past their own table. As I walked past seated ponies, each turned to look at me. But they were beneath my notice, and beneath any importance. Several times, I pushed ponies aside who had come to a halt where they stood, transfixed by the argument that gripped the room.

“It is my fault that you fell, Celestia! I admit that! I accept that! But it shall be my doing that you are returned to us all! Equestria will have its rightful ruler back!”

Four guards were trotting my way. Whether they saw my approach, or had begun making their way to the thestral table, it no longer mattered.

“Halt–” the Royal Guard in the front said.

That was all he managed to say before I gripped each and every one of their four helmets, and slammed them down and to the side, into the tables around us. Not a feat any normal unicorn could accomplish, given how much a living being’s mana pool resists being grabbed by another.

But I am not a unicorn.

I stepped past the final tables as ponies yelled and screamed around me, surprised and horrified by the sudden blunt force trauma. The alicorns ahead were turned towards each other, each pouring emotion. The guards at the base of the steps leveled tall spears towards me, and their unicorns’ horns lit up in an array of colors.

But I was above the meager resistance of a few guards.

I raised a hoof, and pulled on God-Splitter’s recall enchantment embedded in its handle. The Adamantium warhammer ripped free of its brace, which began to spark purple from the violently broken security spells. I caught the massive hammer, which was twice my disguise’s size, with the raised hoof and twirled it around.

“Halt at once, unicorn–” The guard closest to me began to yell.

I channeled energy into Change, and shed the disguise of Baron Expected Value. All these guards, and even Captain Shining Armor up there would have easily stopped any lesser being from interrupting tonight’s main event. They might have even stopped a changeling royal, or at least given them enough pause to allow Daybreaker to defeat them.

But I am not a unicorn, nor just any changeling royal.

Daybreaker’s soft yellow glow from her flames was momentarily overshadowed by the orange inferno that enveloped me. I rose up high above the heads of the ponies around me, who gasped, screamed, and fainted at my sight. Daybreaker turned her head at the sound, and saw me standing below them.

“I am King Phasmatodea of the Fifth Changeling Hive, and I am here to end The War for The Sun, here and now.”

Author's Note:

Artist is Pridark

PreviousChapters Next