• Published 18th Oct 2020
  • 30,690 Views, 12,656 Comments

Changing Expectations - KKSlider



What does it mean to be a Changeling? To the former human Prince Phasma, that means doing what you can to survive and thrive in an utterly alien world.

  • ...
76
 12,656
 30,690

PreviousChapters Next
37- Prometheus

The Praetorians turned and started running for the main hallway.

‘If they get away, we’re fucked!’

“Winter Contingency!” I yelled over the Weave.

The loyalists were nearing the entryway to the hallway when reinforcements came down the end of the main hallway to cut off the Praetorians who had stumbled upon us. They had been standing on lookout duty on the side hallways around us, and came as quick as they could when they heard my order.

‘Thank fuck the Weave doesn’t care about having to travel through different mediums like solid walls.’

Five changelings now accosted the Praetorians. They wouldn’t be able to stop them, but they would slow them down long enough for us to get close. The Praetorians knew that, and skidded to a halt as they started to sling spells against the changelings on both sides of them.

The brief chase was over, and the fight had begun.

Oest and I charged past our ranks and into the thick of the five Praetorians.

Swinging madly, the Praetorians moved away from me and started to cast stun spells. Unfortunately for two of them, they stepped back and right into Oest’s hooves. He grabbed two of their helmeted heads and CONKED them together. The Praetorians collapsed as he moved on to duel with a third.

The fourth and the fifth were successfully keeping me on the backhoof as they strung together stun and electricity spells. It was only for the friendly changelings layering their shields over me that I had not been taken out immediately.

A missed swing against number four left God-Splitter embedded in the wall, cracks snaking outwards from the impact. Number five realized that range wasn’t working, and moved in for hoof-to-hoof combat. I abandoned the expensive paperweight, removing it would take too long.

That proved to be the right decision when five opened with a flurry of blows that blew any training I had out of the water.

Some punches were thrown and I managed to catch them all. Unfortunately, that was a bad thing.

So I threw my entire weight at five and we went to the ground, rolling around, kicking with our hind hooves, punching with our fore. Every time one of us would cast a spell, the other would land a smack on the horn, stopping that.

The shields the Lodge members were casting on me had fizzled out when he hit the ground, the precise encompassing matrices unable to handle CQC.

We each tried to use our fangs to impale the other straight through the chitin, but often one’s head was smashed into the ground while the other tried to pull free. Blows to the head also stopped any kind of fang usage.

It was ungraceful. It was painful. And it was exactly how I remembered fights went back on Earth, complete with hits below the belt.

Number four moved to pick me off his compatriots when about nine different stun spells riddled his body, causing him to go down in spasms.

Praetorian number five managed to get his hind hooves under me and kicked me off, sending me flying into the ceiling. His genius was rewarded by six stun spells and one fireball smacking into him and the ground around him.

I fell to the ground with a thud.

I looked over and saw the final Praetorian being swung by her legs into the wall by Oest. The solid SMACK made me wince.

‘Holy crap, that’s gotta crack some chitin plates.’

Just as suddenly as it had begun, the impromptu fight was over.

Changelings quickly secured the three Praetorians that Oest bodied and the two I had taken down with their help.

The small fire was put out as the Praetorian’s hooves, wings, and horns were encased in changeling-slime. They would not be casting anything with that muck on them.

Fifteen against five. Skill can only count for so much when you are thrown around like a ragdoll, experience blunt force trauma to the head, or piled on like a football. Hoofball? I had neglected to look into pony and changeling sports.

I sat there, trying to catch my breath. Oest moved over and offered a hoof. I took it, wrapping my fetlock around his hoof as he pulled me up.

“You ok, Phasma?”

“Yeah. I bit my tongue to the point of bleeding, I’m sore as hell, but I gave that bastard a broken nose in return. You?”

He shrugged. “They weren’t very good. Chrysalis took the best with her.”

I looked over and saw the Praetorians being lined up against the wall in a sitting position.

“What are you, The Mountain That Rides?”

“What?”

“You… Ah, nevermind. Were you always able to just… throw changelings around like they’re dolls?”

“Unlike you, I work out.”

“Hey! I have fight practice with Katydid every afternoon!”

“Not working out.”

‘An inch taller than average, but fifty times as dense with muscle, it seems.’

I looked at the cracks left behind when Oest swung the Praetorian into the wall. They were half as big as those left behind by my literal warhammer.

“When did you get so good at fighting, Oest?”

“I was a guard. They wanted me to be a Praetorian, I said that was boring. I became a guard again because you asked.”

“But weren’t you just hauling things in storage before I recruited you?”

He shrugged.

I groaned. There would be time to question his superchangeling strength and questionable entertainment sources later.

I walked over to the two changelings that were still conscious, the ones I had faced.

Walked might have been a bit too generous; I limped over to the Praetorians.

The one that was rolling with me was the first to speak up.

“You t’aitor–”

I cut him off with a left hook to the face.

“I’m letting you breathe with nothing keeping your muzzle shut. Keep talking, and you’ll be breathing through a drinking straw and speaking sign language.” I stopped and leaned back. “Oest, there is a sign language for mute changelings, right?”

“No.”

“Oh. All the more reason to shut the fuck up, then. Make sure these loyalists don’t do anything stupid.”

I hobbled over and pulled God-Splitter free from the wall.

“Bettah to die for the hive than live fo’ you’self!” He slurred through his broken nose.

I leveled God-Splitter to his head.

“I would say ‘that can be arranged,’ but that would imply that you are dying for the hive. You are dying for Chrysalis. We fight for the hive, for the greater good.”

The greater good,” the Lodge members around me said in unison.

‘Man, cults are fun. I should have joined them when I was back on Earth. Anyways, time for children’s puzzles, I’ll deal with the patrol-not-checking-in-thing after.’

I left behind the disgraced Praetorian behind as I limped into the vault.

Changelings filtered in behind me and made my way to the center of the vault, where the table, chair, and secret puzzle was. Using telekinesis, I flung the table and chair to the side and stared at the puzzle lock.

Sure enough, I now recognized the symbols for the nine Threads: Together, Magic, Emotion, Change, Flight, Strength, Cunning, Command, and The Great Tapestry. They were strewn through the spirals that made up the lock, amidst more symbols I didn’t know.

I pressed down on Together with my magic halfway, but retracted my telekinesis when an idea struck me.

“Bring over the Praetorian who was oh so pleasant,” I called over my shoulder.

I heard the clip clop of hooves, the shuffle of a body being dragged, and the slurred curses of a ling with a broken nose as the Lodge members did as I asked. I turned to face my new friend as the Lodge members dropped him behind me.

“What is your name, Praetorian?”

“Co’eid, t’aitor.”

“Coeid Taitor?I’ve never heard of a changeling having two parts to their name before.”

“Coh. Reid.”

“Coreid? Well Core, today’s your lucky day. You get to open the most secure door within the entire hive.”

“Mm not gonna help you, t’aitor.”

“Oh you will. Whether it’s with your permanent silence or pushing buttons is up to you. Either way, the door opens. The only thing that changes is how not-hurt you get out of this.”

He huffed, which actually sprayed a bit of the blood that was trickling down his lip.

I pulled off the gel constraints on his hoofs– though I left the gel on his horn and wings– and pointed to the door.

“You will press what I tell you to press, then you will step back and sit down with the rest of the Praetorians. Don’t do as I say, and…. I suppose we’ll find out if this door is trapped?”

He pointed to his encased horn.

“Not going to happen. Use your hooves.”

He huffed again but moved to the closed aperture. Once he got a look at the symbols covering each of the spiraled door segments, he looked at me with a glare.

“Alright Conrad, first press the symbol for Magic, the N…”

I gave him the descriptions of each symbol to press, and each time he slowly shuffled over to the symbol to press it down, careful not to press any others.

When the unwilling Praetorian pressed the final button, the nine line asterisk, he jumped back as a hiss came from the center of the closed aperture.

I saw a small stream of air, the culprit of the hiss, jettison out of the center as the aperture’s segmented door pieces slowly pulled away from the center and into the floor surrounding the opening with a low grinding sound.

‘Higher air pressure? Also, the door must be enchanted to open on its own. No other door does that here, meaning this thing is probably chock full of enchantments. Having someone else open it was definitely a good idea.’

The grinding noise came to an end with a click as the aperture locked open. Seeing that nothing else came out, and that the Praetorian’s face didn’t melt off or anything, I leaned over to look down the hole. Now that I was close, I felt very cold air.

It was a straight vertical shaft, about twenty hooves deep, ending in a gradual ramp. I called out without looking away.

“Oest, please escort Cordeil here to his friends. And make sure no other Praetorians stumble upon our little party here. I don’t think it’s going to be trapped, so I’m going to scope the place out first. Watch my hammer for me.”

“Be careful,” I heard Oest say from behind me. After floating God-Splitter to the side of the vault, I told Oest, “If I don’t come out in half an hour, come in and get me.”

I jumped into the pit and used my wings to slow my fall.


My hooves made a loud clang as they hit the ground. I couldn’t see more than two hooves in front of me, where the light from the shaft ended.

My breath was visible in the freezing air.

Looking down at where I landed, I tapped my right forehoof on the ground twice.

Clang clang.

‘Metal flooring? Isn’t there a massive shortage of the stuff?’

It was a black metal, the same color as the rest of the hive’s walls. Unlike the hive, it was covered in carvings. Every square inch was taken up by what looked like runes.

Puzzled, I casted a light spell, and the top of my horn started to glow a bright pale blue light. I saw I was in a room with empty tables, hive-gel boxes, and abandoned equipment.

The room itself was not very big, perhaps a quarter of the size of the vault above. On the far end twenty hooves down, there was a door with the Command symbol etched into it in some blue material.

I moved closer to the equipment I saw. It was laying in piles on a table which, as I came closer, I saw was stained red on the top.

The equipment itself was unlike anything I had seen in the hive; it looked modern. Drills, saws, empty glass vials, what looked like a faucet in the back, and strange contraptions with pipes and containers.

‘If I were to guess, this is a magical laboratory, and not a meth lab. This is the first time I’ve seen glass in the entire hive, not even the throne room has the stuff.’

I stepped back and slowly made my way to the empty boxes on the other side of the room, my hooves clanging loudly on the ground despite my cautious movement.

Lifting up the lid on a box on the outskirts, I looked inside. It was hard to tell what exactly its contents were, possibly parts from plants grown in the Greencave or scavenged from the Underhive? Bits and pieces of defeated monsters?

The rest of the boxes, like the opened one, lacked labels. Shaking my head, I dropped the lid and turned around, heading to the door.

‘This is ominous as hell,’ I thought as I stopped in front of the door.

The Command symbol took up the center quarter of it, it was so large. Now that I was very close to it, I could see faint green light coming from the crack beneath the door.

I pressed an ear up against it. Nothing.

I pushed the door open slowly. It swung backwards silently, revealing a short hallway before another door. The green glow was much brighter around that door.

I stood there for a moment, the only sound being my deep, visible breaths. I tilted my head to the side, trying to see the hall at a different angle.

‘If this was a spy movie, there would be invisible laser trip wires in this hallway.’

I used a spell to conjure light steam to fill the hallway, but either fortunately or unfortunately, there were no lasers revealed in the mist. The steam quickly dissipated and left droplets of water clinging to the walls, already starting to freeze. I sensed around for any magic I could feel, but my training in detection was very limited.

“No point in stalling,” I whispered to myself.

I put one hoof across the threshold of the door. Then another. I hunched low and made my way across the room at a snail’s pace.

Clang. Clang. Clang. Clang.

Despite how quiet I was being, the sound of my hoofsteps was loudly banging in my ear, only just overshadowing my own heartbeat as I neared the glowing door.

But it didn’t drown out the growing sounds of chittering and skittering.

In what felt like the blink of an eye, I was across the hallway.

‘No alarm. No tripwires. What is that sound? Do I want to even know?’

I stood up straight and put a hoof against the door.

‘Just open it. There’s nothing alive behind it. This isn’t a horror movie. Open the door.’

My hoof didn’t move.

‘Open the door Phasma.’

I leaned against the door, pushing it open an inch. More green light spilled through. I stopped casting the blue light spell so I could take a peek. From the crack in the door, I saw on a table to the right. It, unlike the ones in the first room, was not empty.

Changeling eggs. Some were cracked open. Others had tubes going into them. That was all I could see from my restricted view.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed the door open.

When my eyes adjusted to the bright green light, I shut the door immediately and collapsed against it, my ragged breaths outpacing even my heart.

Clack clack clack clack clack

I pressed a hoof up against the bottom of my jaw, stopping the shivering.

‘In. And out. Breathe. Breathe.’

I had a long day of sitting around doing nothing. Despite that, I felt exhausted. The fight early had taken a lot of energy out of me, but that was nothing compared to just looking into the next room.

I shut my eyes, trying to gather the strength to stand back up and go in there. It took two minutes of sitting in that cold, dark hallway to do so, the only company being the sounds of my breathing.

‘That’s it, breathe.’

I put my hooves beneath me and pushed off of the cold floor, turning to face the door once again. This time, I threw it open and stepped inside, not giving myself the chance to be a coward again. The door stopped perpendicular to the doorway, covering up what was immediately to my left.

The sounds of insects scuttling about and chittering reached speaking-level loudness. Still, my breathing cut through it like it wasn’t even there.

This final room was a large, circular one. On the right, in the five o’clock position, was a table that curved along the wall to the two o’clock position. There were about nine eggs with a bit of spacing in between them, in various states of destruction. The farthest one looked whole. All of them were hooked up to tubes which went to a series of opaque containers at the far end of the table.

The rest of the room was filled with vats, big enough to house an entire royal changeling, equally spaced apart, starting straight ahead at the twelve position.

I knew that was a very accurate description, because that’s exactly what they held.

Two princes.

Three princesses.

Five occupied vats in total.

‘My brothers and sisters.’

I saw blue and red hair, silver elytra, and brown and yellow manes. Five sets of colors. Five royals hanging limply in translucent green liquid, the source of the light in the room. A few were missing limbs. Many were scarred and cracked and beat to hell. The princes had manes in the style of ponies, the princesses had long hair that swayed slowly in the green liquid. All of them had twisted horns, holes in their chitins, and...

All of them had a number of tubes connected to their temples and the back of their heads.

A few had extra tubes. One Prince was missing his lower jaw and had several tubes going up into the top of his mouth and the back of his throat. A princess was missing the back half of her barrel, her hindlegs completely gone, with a large number of tubes taking their place.

And in the center, a pedestal with one worn down book. I knew it would hold answers to questions I didn’t want to even ask.

The door slowly swung shut behind me as I limped over to the book.

Clang. Clang. Clang. Clang.

I looked down at the old tome.

“Ascension,” I read the title aloud, desperate to hear anything other than my own breathing and those god-forsaken skittering sounds.

With a shaking hoof, I flipped it open, not daring to use any magic on the thing. Words were faded, pages were missing, but there was plenty in the book. Plenty I didn’t understand, but recognized from the reports I read in the vault as medical and magical theories, experiments, and reports.

The best I could tell, the entire tome was dedicated to the process of “Ascension,” where the chosen “Aspect of Panarthropo’s Command” would be elevated to the highest and holiest level of existence.

I recalled that the few books I skimmed in the vault from the Third Hive often overused holiness in their descriptions of magic.

‘This is a very old book, recovered from the Third Hive. It must be the most important one, to be down here.’

The book referred to the Ascension ritual as being the most revered piece of knowledge recovered from the First Hive. Attached in the middle was the few pages recovered from a book from the First Hive. They were completely yellow with age and threatened to crumble in my loose, careful grip. They were written in a language I did not know.

‘The changelings had a language, now lost to time?’

The last page of the recovered section showed a royal with a large crown, and changelings bowing to them. There was a circle on the center of the crown that seemed to radiate out something. Light, energy, I couldn’t tell.

I skimmed through the pages of the rest of the book, not understanding most of it. At least, until the diagrams started showing up. My eyes shot upward towards the princes and princess suspended in the green liquid.

The diagrams were brains, with labels attached to each part, and guides for which sections to remove and where to insert tubes to pump magical energies.

‘Lobotomization.’

My eyes moved to the two princesses on the left side of the room.

‘One of those might be Princess Procho, the last royal. She said Procho died, but why would I believe anything that Chrysalis says at this point?’

I staggered over to the two princesses. Their vats were next to each other, letting me get close to both at once. One had light red hair and elytra, almost pink it was so lightly colored. The other had a deep blue, like it was the abyssal depths of an ocean.

The red princess was the one missing her back half. The blue princess looked comparatively fine at first glance, she still was covered in scars and gouges, but then I noticed the abundance of the tubes at the back of her head. The entire back half of her skull had to be missing to fit in that many.

Both had numerous scars and marks from surgery on their skulls.

“Procho? Are you… there? Can you even hear me?”

Skittering.

“Hello?”

Scuttling.

If they could hear me, they had no way of even responding. I reluctantly went back to the podium in the center. I looked back down at Ascension, and forced myself to start reading again. I was reaching the conclusion of the process in the notes.

“... Thus achieving the desired aura of the Weave. Doesn’t that mean…? Are these…?”

I skimmed ahead and got to the conclusion of the reports and confirmed what I had feared. A simplistic image of a circle around a city-looking structure. It was labeled with a curvy N.

“The royals are what’s projecting the Weave throughout the hive.”

I dropped the book back onto the pedestal and limped over to the vat in the twelve position of the room.

The occupant was the silver prince. His right hindleg was gone, and his right foreleg was cut off halfway down. Burn marks stretched across his body, starting from the right side and tapering out towards the left. His mane, what remained to the left of the burns, undulated slowly in the nearly-transparent light green liquid.

“Reprocessing. The rebels weren’t murdered and thrown into the recycling vats, they were lobotomized and turned into projectors for the Weave!”

The chittering and skittering never quieted down while I was in the room, and so close to the prince, it was loud, but still any sounds I made cut right through it.

“They’re still alive in there. Their hearts are still beating.”

My legs started to shake and I collapsed onto my flank. I pressed a hoof to my heart.

‘I felt my own stop as I… as I laid there in my own hot blood. My heart had to stop before I moved on.’

“They’re trapped in there! How long have they been dying but unable to die?! Oh god, I have to free them!”

Before I could even start conjuring an elemental spell to destroy the desecration to life, I came to a horrible realization.

‘If I free them, the Weave will rescind from throughout the hive. Everyone will know what I did, including Eucharis. If I kill them now, Eucharis will know something has gone wrong, and will contact Chrysalis. I could try to cut off his communications before that, but he will still know, and his absence from the invasion will tip off Chrysalis.’

‘I’ll have to return here after I kill Chrysalis. Only then will it be safe. And I will kill Chrysalis. If not me, then who?’

I was already starting to forget any attempt at peace when I exiled Thorax, but this steeled my resolve. I had abandoned all plans of coming to Chrysalis with a peace offer. Queen Chrysalis of the Fourth Hive must die.

‘All my fears, even the ones I thought were from rampant paranoia, all proven true. I can’t believe I even thought there was a chance for peace between us–’

I had turned around to leave, but froze.

To the right of the door, covered up by it when it was opened, was an empty vat.

Empty.

Waiting for an occupant.

Waiting for me, if I had rebelled and failed.

Trapped forever in a living tomb. Lobotomized, ripped apart, and unable to die and move onto the next life. Maybe there’ll be nothing left of me by the end of my rebellion but a brain. A brain put in the vat, hooked up and pumped full of energy and unknown fluids.

I vomited, and then I staggered my way to the door. The sticky changeling-slime I got on my hoofs caused me to trip over and fall onto the cold ground. I pulled myself to the door, nearly clawing at it as I pulled it open, trying to avoid looking at my own coffin on the right. I shut the door behind me, and curled up against it.


“– Phas! Phasma!”

“Th... Thorax?” I weakly called.

“What the hell happened?”

I lifted my head up from behind my hooves and saw Oest. He was looking down at me with a very concerned look. He must have come down here after I didn’t come up after half an hour.

“My… family.”

“What?”

I offered a hoof to him, and he used his magic to wipe off the slime before he took it and pulled me up off the ground. I stumbled as I got up, nearly tripping on my own hooves.

“Go, see for yourself. Words can’t describe,” I said while starting to limp down the hall, pressed up against the side for support.

I heard his hooves clanging behind me as he went to the vat room, his pace far quicker than my own. The skittering slowly faded away as I limped my way out of the hallway and into the first room. I made it to the chute back to the upper vault before Oest returned.

“Phasma. What was…?”

“My siblings. Dying but unable to die. Trapped forever. Have to free them after Chrysalis dies. Can’t do it before. Chrysalis, she… Oest, do you know what she did? Can you understand it? She didn’t kill them, no, that would be too kind. She trapped them forever in their own bodies. Cutting and pulling out piece by piece till they couldn’t even breathe. You have to die to move onto the next life, you know that, right?”

I stared at the strange etchings on the ground as I spoke.

“The last Princess was Procho, and she ‘died’ over two hundred years ago. How many centuries have they been in there? Have they been driven mad by the isolation? Have they been asleep the entire time? There’s only two ways this all ends. Either we win, or you all die and she traps me here, forever. Forever, Oest! I can’t… We can’t fail. The price is too high.”

I looked back up at Ostridea. He was frowning, but still held his tongue.

“This… This changes nothing, Oest. We are going to kill Chrysalis, and then we will grant these royals the release they so desperately need. We are going to fix all these problems that my own mother let fester in the darkness as she went and played with ponies.”

“Are you sure? That they are in there?”

“I… Yes, Oest. I know it without a shadow of a doubt. They are still in there. Unable to blink, twitch, or scream. The soul stays in the body until the heart stops.”

“How do you know?”

‘Experience.’

“Please don’t ask me that. I just do.”

He looked back towards the door leading to the chamber, then back at me.

“I believe you.”

I looked up the vertical chute, the light from the vault shining down onto me. I was well and truly exhausted. But I would not stop until I was dead, or worse.

“Help me get outta here.”

Oest wrapped his hooves around my barrel, and helped me fly up and out of the laboratory.

PreviousChapters Next