• Published 14th Jul 2020
  • 2,503 Views, 18 Comments

Dragon Contemplation - frenettek314



*AU story after the events of "Dragon Quest"* After overhearing Fluttershy's refusal to join the others in watching the Dragon Migration, Spike begins to wonder if she can really be friends with a dragon like him.

  • ...
1
 18
 2,503

Epilogue

Twilight's quill began to hover rhythmically on the enchanted parchment as she gazed out at the sun with a content smile on her face, sniffing at the beautiful breezy airflow that nature seemed to tell her "everything would be ok":


Dear Princess Celestia,

Today a few friends taught me a vital aspect of friendship - communication.

A friendship may seem strong and healthy at first, but that could also be the furthest thing from the truth.

Without properly communicating or expressing yourself to your friends, you may be unintentionally hurting

them, which could ultimately damage the friendship, if it was even there to begin with.


Thankfully, the example I witnessed proved to resolve it's issues with flying colors. Whereas one friend was

distancing themselves in an attempt to proceed with caution based on differences, that caution ended up

making the other friend feel like they were being excluded because of those differences.

On the other hoof, the other friend ended up storing their hurt and anger without properly communicating,

and those built up emotions ended up hurting themselves alot more than when they were first felt.


Now my friends are expressing themselves in a healthy manner and I can proudly say their relationship has

bloomed into something better than it has ever been. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, a good friend will

always be there to listen but it's important to make sure those feelings get expressed in a proper and

healthy manner.


Seeing as you've probably figured out I'm referring to Spike and Fluttershy, they've been doing wonderful

together. I've never seen Fluttershy be as vocal and outgoing before with Spike or any of her other friends as

well. Speaking of which, Fluttershy always makes sure she takes one day a week to spend with Spike. At first,

he was hesitant at her providing so much time for him, but the two have actually grown so close. It's

like their best friends forever! I'm glad to see them both happy and I hope this lesson can help others as well.


Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle


"Alright Spike, could you please send this letter to the princess? " pleaded Twilight before Spike knowingly with a smile on his face, cast a set of green flames over the scroll, sending the letter directly to the princess herself.

"Thanks." Twilight smiled.

"Anytime." he responded.

Just then, a knock could be heard coming from the door of the library, Quickly approaching the door and opening it, Twilight found it to be none other than Fluttershy with a picnic basket draped over her right wing.

"Hello Twilight" Fluttershy beamed with that cute smile of hers. "Hey Spike!" she exclaimed.

"Hey Flutters!" Spike beamed excitedly back. "Ready to go on that picnic?"

"Of course." she sang melodically as she even poofed out a gem the size of a diamond out of the basket.

"That looks awesome! Thank you!" he chirped as he quickly went over to the pegasus's side and wrapped her in a thankful hug which she greatly returned in appreciation.

"We were thinking about lunch and then going for a swim at the pond if you want to join us?" Fluttershy asked Twilight.

"Really? Are you sure?" the unicorn asked with skepticism, knowing it was the two's special time.

"Yeah, of course. Come with, Twi!" Spike beamed excitedly. Any hesitation Twilight had at intruding upon the pair's plans quickly disappeared.

"Well, how can I say no to that?" Twilight giggled upon seeing the excitement of the other two's faces as she agreed.

As the group of friends slowly left the library, the dragon gained a bright idea.

"Hey Flutters," he asked, "If there's ever another dragon migration..."

"Say no more, Spike. I'd go for you anyday!" Fluttershy boldly claimed.

"Actually, I was going to say I'm not sure about seeing those mean dragons anymore, I was wondering if maybe we should plan a butterfly migration instead?" he explained.

At that, Fluttershy's face practically exploded with glee as she let out a high-pitched squeal before seeing the smirks of the unicorn and dragon in front of her.

She desperately cleared her throat.

"I mean... that sounds fun too." she blushed before the two in front of her laughed, the pegasus quickly joining in as the good friends went on a picnic they wouldn't soon forget. Not with Fluttershy's new photo album especially.

Author's Note:

Hello Everyone,

Seeing as I'm going to be posting this story all at once, I'm saving the author's notes for here.

As mentioned back in my previous story update, I wanted to prove that I could grow as a writer (well... fan-fic writer at least), so I'm going to try and create some new stories on here and see how they do.

I feel that this story is a drastic improvement when compared to my old works and as such I must say that I am humbly pleased with myself on this one.

The real inspiration for this story however is what drove the writing process. Fluttershy being my favorite of the Mane 6, along with Spike being one of my favorite supporting/semi-main roles, I wanted to write a fic with both of them being actively involved.

Then I realized as I was reading that there aren't many Spike/Mane 6 friendship fics - ESPECIALLY with Fluttershy I noticed. So as the saying goes, "If you can't find it, make it" as I wanted to showcase what would happen if these two grew a bond between them. After seeing the first episode, I realized Spike and Fluttershy never really had any sort of interaction outside of "Sparkle's Seven" or "Sweet and Smoky"and I felt that they could actually be really great friends - both of them being actively kind creatures.

I hope this fic also captures Spike's "identity crisis" in a way that isn't too "dark" or "edgy". I've seen many stories involving Spike where he goes on this "high danger quest" or undergoes some sort of "gore" to find an answer to his relationship with the ponies, but I feel that this would honestly be better in a more "slice-of-life" style, giving actual time for the emotions to build and settle, rather than them being caught in a "high-stake" situation.

So basically what I'm saying is I like slice-of-life. Also if you like the ideas or themes of this story, I'd like to highly recommend "Spike Snuggles Everypony" by B_25 as their fic actually handles the exploration of Spike's identity with the Mane 6 really well (especially with Twilight). Definitely a good pick-up if the slice-of-life character build is your cup of tea.


I'm hoping to create more stories that I myself would like to see more of so hopefully I can deliver on that in the near future.


Thanks for reading!


-frenettek314

Comments ( 7 )

This was a beautiful read

The story could’ve used another round of editing, but I think this is one of the more unique takes on any of these characters I’ve seen in a long while. This is a very beautifully done story.

Good story here, pretty nice take on what could've happened during/after the events of *Dragon Quest* :moustache:

Sqqqwwweee~~ i Love it so much love:rainbowkiss:

UPDATE

Hey everybody! I finally figured out how to make horizontal line breaks, so I updated all chapters to make the scene transitions look much cleaner. Please let me know if you notice any other errors or suggestions. Thank you! :)

This was a good read. One I'll defiantly come back to.

Well this was a pretty nice story and teaching everybody about communication with each other this was pretty good keep up the good work

Login or register to comment