• Published 31st Dec 2019
  • 1,063 Views, 13 Comments

Potato Dog - TheLegendaryBillCipher



Pinkie Pie invites Twilight over to witness a new invention.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,063

Give a Silly Prompt, Get a Pinkie Pie

Twilight looked up from her book as her library door was all but kicked in, and Pinkie Pie bounced in. She watched with a raised eyebrow as the pink Earth pony bounced about the room with both enthusiasm and anxiety.

“What’s up, Pinkie?” she asked.

Pinkie abruptly stopped in front of her, causing Twilight to rear back – especially from how close Pinkie’s smirking muzzle was to her own.

“I’m so glad you asked – I just invented a new food!” Pinkie squealed. Twilight winced at the volume and rubbed at her ear.

“You invented a new food?” Twilight looked at her skeptically. “I know you’re a great baker, Pinkie, but to invent a whole new food is a little much.”

“But I did,” Pinkie whined. “Come on, you gotta try it – I think it tastes pretty good, but I need a second opinion. Besides, you’re one of the smartest ponies around – I’m sure you’d be able to appreciate it the most!”

Twilight frowned at her, biting back both a critique of the logic of the statement and the fact that she didn’t have a “refined palette,” as Rarity might say. In the end, she just sighed – Pinkie’s enthusiasm was contagious.

She smiled softly at her friend. “Alright, Pinkie – I’ll try out your new food. I guess if it’s safe for you to eat, then it’s probably safe for the rest of us… unless the sugar count is off the scales.” Twilight hopped out of her comfy seat. “Lead the way.”

“Thanks, Twilight,” Pinkie said with a wide grin. She bounced out of the room and with a sigh, Twilight followed her at her own pace.

I sure hope this is good, Pinkie – I was just getting to the good part of my book,” she thought inwardly.


“You know, I could’ve just teleported us here,” Twilight remarked as they approached Sugarcube Corner. “It would’ve saved us having to walk halfway across Ponyville.”

“I like being able to get out and stretch, Twilight. It’s good for the spring in my step,” Pinkie replied. She bounced right up to the door and opened it for Twilight with a grand sweep of her foreleg.

Twilight flashed her a smile – Pinkie had been doing gestures like this lately. Holding open doors, offering refreshments to her first whenever her and her friends were over, small stuff like that. Twilight suspected she might have a crush, and the thought made her blush.

What she hadn’t suspected was finding Pinkie Pie in the kitchen, wearing a pair of safety goggles. She turned to look when the door opened, looking rather surprised.

“Twilight?” the Pinkie in the kitchen asked, raising her goggles. “What are you doing here?”

“Wha… but… how… where… what are you doing in the kitchen?” Twilight asked, gesturing confusedly with a hoof.

Pinkie snorted a giggle. “Oh Twilight, I’m always in the kitchen – I’m a baker, remember? I bake things.” She perked up. “Oh, Twilight, that reminds me – I was just about to come get you! I made this awesome new dish!”

“I know, that’s why I’m here…” Twilight trailed off as the Pinkie who had held open the door shut it behind her and walked up beside her. The alicorn groaned and smacked her forehead. “Pinkie, did you take a dip in the Mirror Pool again?”

“Hey boss,” the Pinkie beside her said with a cheerful wave.

The Pinkie in the kitchen gasped in horror, rushing around the counter to confront her doppelganger. “P-Buddy! What are you doing here?” she exclaimed.

P-Buddy frowned. “You said you were going to go get Twilight Sparkle and let her try out your new invention.” She smiled. “I figured I’d go do it myself, boss. Save you some hassle.”

Pinkie groaned and ran a hoof down her face. All the while, Twilight looked between the two Pinkie Pies with wide eyes, unsure of what to say – or who to say it to.

“P-Buddy, serial number 9 3-1-14 13-1-11-5 18-15-2-15-20-19 20-15-15, please deactivate until I give the reactivation command,” Pinkie said with a huff.

Twilight jumped back as P-Buddy gave a beep and the bright blue of her eyes dulled to nearly black. She otherwise remained perfectly still – and disturbingly wide-eyed. The alicorn turned to Pinkie.

“Do you mind telling me what’s going on?” she asked, trying to keep calm, though the early signs of a “Twilight” were beginning to set in.

“I’m really sorry, Twilight,” Pinkie huffed. “You weren’t supposed to meet P-Buddy here until a lot later. At least until I got her bugs all fixed.” She frowned at the still P-Buddy. “Including her doing things she wasn’t told too. I have got to fix that free-roaming mode…”

“Wait, I’m sorry, what? What is P-Buddy?” Twilight gestured to the still Pinkie Pie.

“Oh, she’s a robot. I made her.”

“A robot?” Twilight’s eyes twitched. “You made a robot? That looks exactly like you?”

“Pfft,” Pinkie said, rolling her eyes. “Sure, she looks like me, but she’s nothing like me. She can’t do half the stuff I can.”

“Still, you made a robot. Why did you make a robot?” Twilight was starting to take deep breaths. She dared not asked how – trying to figure out how Pinkie operated was enough of a mental strain.

Pinkie flushed deep red and suddenly became interested in looking at the floor. “Well… I mean, it’s not really anything special…”

“Are you kidding me? This is incredible!” Twilight turned to P-Buddy, poking her here and there with a hoof. Her stress turned into amazement. “She’s flawless! I can’t tell you two apart – well, except for the whole deactivation thing. And you made her, without magic?”

Pinkie nodded. “I… uh… well, I made her because… I wanted to impress you…” She rubbed her foreleg as she looked down. “I figured making something would impress someone as smart as you.”

Twilight was snapped from her examination by the realization her suspicions were true. She looked to Pinkie and smiled softly. “Oh, Pinkie. You don’t have to impress me.”

“Are you sure? I mean, not only were you Celestia’s top student, you’re the most powerful element and have your own castle and became an alicorn and—“

Pinkie was cut off when Twilight put a hoof to her mouth and blushed when she looked from the hoof to its owner. Twilight was smiling warmly at her, her head tilted slightly, before she removed her hoof.

“Making something like this doesn’t impress me as much as you do, Pinkie Pie. Besides, I’m not interested in dating your robot – I’d be interested in dating you,” Twilight said, glancing at P-Buddy.

“Y-You would?” Pinkie asked, her tail springing out slightly.

“Of course, but I believe you had something you wanted me to try first?”

Pinkie blinked blankly, before realization hit her. “Oh, right! It’s over here in the kitchen.” Twilight giggled as the baker bounced over into the kitchen and fished around. “It took a special machine to make the correct shape, but I got it! And the baked version tastes way better than the fried one.”

“Well, what is it?” Twilight asked, cautiously following her.

“I’m calling it a potato dog – it’s like a carrot dog, but with a peeled potato! It’s so good with sour cream and chives!” Pinkie produced a carrot dog bun with a cylindrical light yellow mass with rounded ends, still steaming.

Twilight raised an eyebrow and used her magic to levitate it over to her. She took a small bite and chewed on it thoughtfully before swallowing. “You know, it’s not that bad,” she said. “Where’s your sour cream and chives?”

“Coming right up!” Twilight smiled as she watched the baker/inventor dart around the cabinets looking for her ingredients. She glanced back at the deactivated P-Buddy.

“Hey, Pinkie, what’s with that serial number you gave P-Buddy? Wouldn’t a one or something have worked better?”

Pinkie paused long enough to shrug at her. “It just came to me when I made her. I kinda wanted something long, like a password, so others couldn’t guess it.”

“Huh... sounds like a code or a cipher or something to me,” Twilight remarked, before shrugging and taking another bite of the potato dog.

Author's Note:

Date of Creation (D.o.C.): 12/15/19

I have a new philosophy after writing this story, part of which is in the chapter title: "Ask a silly question, get a silly answer -- give a silly prompt, get a Pinkie Pie (when applicable)." I managed to write this after having written "Faith" and after spinning my wheels for an hour, so I'll admit it's not my best work. And yes, "P-Buddy" is a reference.

The song for this piece was "Bounce Man Stage" from Mega Man 11. I needed something bouncy and electronic for this piece, for obvious reasons. Also please note: this story is unedited. What you read is what I wrote for the speedwrite. I may add an edited version in the future as a chapter.

-yours truly,
The Legendary Bill Cipher, Equestria Enthusiast and Secret Santa

Comments ( 13 )

”I guess if it’s safe for you to eat, then it’s probably safe for the rest of us… unless the sugar count is off the scales.”

*cough cough* Eating rocks *cough cough*

“Besides, I’m not interested in dating your robot – I’d be interested in dating you ,” Twilight said, glancing at P-Buddy.

Can I have the robot then? :pinkiehappy:

Nice work!

The serial number translates to: I CAN MAKE ROBOTS TOO

10012469
I had read Majin's Sweetie Bot story before writing this.

This was adorable, well done.

I giggled a few times during reading.

Everybody loves mechanical doppelgangers... Better than mirror pool ones.

this story is underrated
i guess readers should explore the depths of fimfiction and bring out those stories that deserves attention :ajsmug:

10012987
The irony in this is that this piece has gotten more attention than "Faith," the other piece I put much more work into and published along with it.

9 3-1-14 13-1-11-5 18-15-2-15-20-19 20-15-15

A certain song comes to mind...
:pinkiehappy:

(Polecats - Make A Circuit With Me)

Delightful fluff. Thank you for it. :twilightsmile:

Aw... That was so cute!
And now I'm hungry.

This was really cute! And a potato dog sounds honestly delicious. I'd want cheese and bacon on mine!

If potato dogs are going to be a thing, the texture would have to be between baked and mashed.

I knew that pinkie was smart, but not smart enough to build a flawless robot replica of herself

Hey there, this was reviewed here! Thanks for picking me as a reviewer, and I hope you find what I have to say useful. Deuces!

Login or register to comment