• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: The Hardest Person to Forgive is Yourself (Last Edited 6/30/2022)

July 4, 2020

Canterlot Castle: Royal Court Room

Spike sluggishly walked into a well-lit chamber. He was not acustomed to waking up so early and confused as to why he'd been summoned. The room was highly ornate, with busts of former representatives lining the walls. In the center of the room was a giant sculpture of four ponies of different sizes. The statues portrayed a farmer, a wealthy business pony, a soldier, and a princess from smallest to largest. At the far end of the room were four golden boxes, each containing four representatives. From left to right, they were labeled Peasants, Military, Royalty, and Business. The peasant box included representatives Lyra Heartstrings (an aquamarine unicorn mare with a lyre cutie mark), Apple Fritter (a yellow earth pony mare with a fritter cutie mark), Cherry Berry (a rose earth pony mare with a cherry cutie mark), and Time Turner (a brown earth pony stallion with an hourglass cutie mark.) The military box contained the heads of each branch of the E.U.P Guard, Shining Armor (Captain of the Royal family's personal guard), Three Arrows (Captain of the Army), Flash Sentry (Captain of the Navy), and Spitfire (Captain of the Wonderbolts.) The royalty box contained the four highest-ranking members of the Royal Family, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, and Prince Blueblood. Finally, the business box contained Fancy Pants (owner of the Equestrian Trading Company), Filthy Rich (owner of Rich’s Barnyard Bargains), Cherry Jubilee (owner of Cherry Hill Ranch), and Hoity Toity (owner of the Equestrian Fashion show.)

"Welcome, Spike. Please make yourself comfortable," said Celestia from the Royalty box.

“Y-yes, princess!” said Spike as he sat in a chair to the center of the room facing the boxes. “I hope I’m not in trouble."

Thoughts of being punished for some misdeed had been plaguing his mind since he first got the letter.

“You seem troubled, Spike. What’s on your mind?” asked Celestia.

"W-well, it's just that I don't have any idea why I was summoned here," explained Spike. "I'm not in any trouble, am I?"

Celestia gave a warm smile. "You aren't in any trouble. In fact, I hear you've been doing a wonderful job as Twilight Sparkle's assistant."

“Then why have I been summoned?” asked Spike.

"We'd like you to tell us how young Jack is adjusting to life in Equestria," Celestia explained.

"Oh, well, I think he's adjusting pretty well. He was having trouble getting along with Fluttershy, but I think they've made up," Spike explained. "Speaking of Fluttershy. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask her since she's the one taking care of him?"

“Based on Twilight’s letters, Fluttershy has gotten too attached to the boy to give any objective answers," said Celestia.

“Has he overcome his foul temperament?” asked Luna.

Nightmare Moon!” trembled Spike.

FEAR NOT!"Luna shouted in the Royal Canterlot Voice. "WE HAVE NO INTENTION OF HARMING THOU! JUST ANSWER OUR QUESTION!

"W-well," Spike started as he thought about the question.

Fuck off, purple dinosaur.”

"Yeah, yeah, grow some fucking wings, and then I'll believe you.”

"You're not going to stop me, Spike. Stay out of my way."

"Not really," he sighed.

“Have you noticed anything strange about him?” asked Cadenza.

“Well... Come to think of it, yeah," Spike answered. "I know he’s seven years old, but he doesn't really act like it.”

“How so?” Blue Blood asked, yawning as if to say he'd rather be anywhere else.

"He goes to class with all the other foals, but he doesn't act like one. If I hadn't been told he was in second grade, I would think he was Twilight's age, maybe even older," Spike explained.

“You’ve been to his homeland, right?” asked Shining Armor.

"Yes, Twilight took me and Jack there to collect artifacts," explained Spike.

“What kind of artifacts?” asked Three Arrows.

"Mostly the contents of Jack's car. All sorts of gadgets that run on electricity, kind of like something out of a Power Ponies comic," Spike explained. "Twilight's spent the past few weeks converting them to magic."

"That definitely sounds like something Twily would do," chuckled Shining Armor.

Flash Sentry shot him a sharp glare. "You're speaking out of turn, Captain."

“My apologies. I was just happy to hear my sister hasn’t changed since she moved to Ponyville,” Shining Armor said with an apologetic bow.

"Whatever," Flash Sentry said, turning back to Spike. "Do you think he could be a threat?”

“Of course not!” Spike exclaimed. “He’s just a foal. How could he be?”

"That may be so, but according to the reports, he has powerful magic and has fought against a timberwolf, an ursa, and even a dragon," said Spitfire.

“Yeah, but he’s only used it in self-defense, and he doesn't have any control over it," Spike said.

“Do you believe this lack of control could be dangerous?” asked Fancy Pants.

“I…” Spike started, “don’t know.”

"Let's change the topic then," said Filthy Rich. "I've heard from my daughter that he's prone to outbursts of anger and requires medication to function in normal society. Do you think it would be appropriate to remove him from school for the sake of the other foals?”

"I don't really know much about his school life, but I assume he's doing just fine," Spike explained.

“Would you say he’s adjusting well to Equestrian Society outside of school?” asked Cherry Jubilee.

"I think so," said Spike. "There are times where he says things that aren't appropriate, but other than that. He's doing well."

“Has he made any friends?” asked Hoity Toity, indifferently messing with his sunglasses.

"He and Apple Bloom are close..." Spike said, scratching his chin as he thought about the question. "Oh, and I've also seen him hanging out with Scootaloo."

“That's great and all, but I can't believe nopony is asking any of the important questions," said Lyra Heartstrings. "What are his hands like!? Does he have five fingers, or was that just part of the myth!? Oh, and does he use his hands for magic, or some other part of his body, and…” she was practically climbing out the stands when the pony beside her put a hoof over her mouth.

"Lyra, Ah get that yer obsessed with humans but do ya really think those are important questions?" asked Apple Fritter.

“Of course, they’re important!” Lyra exclaimed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Now that we know humans are real, it's important to learn everything about them!"

"He has five fingers, and I'm pretty sure he does use his hands for his magic," Spike said, baffled at Lyra's antics. She lived in Ponyville, and he knew of her obsession with human myths, but what he was witnessing now was offputting, to say the least.

"Back to more important questions," Apple Fritter sighed. "Do you believe that Apple Bloom or Scootaloo are in any danger around him?"

"No," Spike said earnestly. He didn't know much about Jack, but he did know that he didn't mean anyone any harm. "If anything, I'd say he's actually protected both of them from danger."

Cherry Berry was the next to speak, “and these “gadgets” you mentioned earlier. What do they do?”

"From what Jack said, they are mostly for entertainment. One of the gadgets that Twilight has been working on for a while, Jack called a phone," said Spike. "According to him, it's used for talking to other humans that are far away and accessing a library of human knowledge."

"This Library, where is it?" asked Time-Turner.

"I don't really understand it, but I think it's... on the phone somehow," Spike said, unsure how to explain it.

The questioning continued for a few hours. When Celestia determined they had collected enough information, she called an end to the meeting and sent Spike home.

Golden Oak Library

Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack were peacefully enjoying their breakfast. Jack hadn't gotten up yet, but none of them were worried. That is to say, no one was worried until he started screaming.

“No more p-please!”

The three mares burst into Jack's room to find him flailing on the floor, still very much asleep.

Twilight carefully shook him awake. “Jack, it’s just a dream. Wake up!”

Jack's eyes fluttered open.

“What in tarnation was that about, Sugarcube?” asked Applejack.

“I-I don’t want to talk about it," he responded, rubbing his eyes.

"Now, darling, you had a bad dream," said Rarity. "It sounded like quite the nightmare to me. Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?"

“YES, AH’M SURE!” Jack shouted, snatching his pill bottles off the floor.

It looks like he might be running out of medicine," Twilight noticed as he took his pills. “I really think it would be better if you talked with somepony about it.”

"Just leave me alone for a bit, you guys. I'm going to go hang out with Scootaloo," said Jack as he got dressed. "I’m just gonna go to the park and be by myself.”

"Wait, Jack, come back!" Twilight shouted after him as he left.

“Should we follow him?” asked Rarity.

"No, I have a better idea," Twilight responded.

Ponyville Park

20 minutes later

Jack glumly sat down in the gazebo. He had gone a few nights with no dreams, but the night before, they returned with a vengeance.

Why can’t I just get over it?” he wondered. “And why are they suddenly so frequent. I had them before I came to Equestria, but not nearl…”

“HEY, JACKEY!” shouted a voice from outside the gazebo.

“JESUS CHRIST!” shouted Jack, jumping from the bench like a frog in a frying pan. Looking around, he found Pinkie Pie staring at him from the gazebo's entrance. "Don't do that!"

“Sorry, Jackey, I didn’t mean to startle you,” Pinkie giggled.

"Well, you certainly managed," Jack spat.

"I'm sorry, it's just Twilight told me you were feeling down because of some bad dreams, so I wanted to cheer you up," Pinkie bubbly explained.

"And you're doing such a good job," Jack said, rolling his eyes.

Not sensing Jack's sarcasm, Pinkie continued trying to make him feel better. "Thanks! Now, why don't you tell Dr. Pinkie about these dreams?”

"Dr. Pinkie?" Jack questioned Pinkie, who was now wearing glasses and held a notepad that had seemingly manifested out of thin air.

“Come on!” said Pinkie.

“No,” Jack responded.

“Come on!”

“Nope!”

“Come ooooonnnnnn!”

“It ain’t happening!” shouted Jack as he got up and left.

As Jack off, Pinkie gave chase, and he soon found himself running. By the time he had reached the clock tower, Jack was exhausted. "At least… I… lost her!" he panted.

“Come on!” Pinkie shouted, popping out of the clock tower.

“Goddammit, all to Hell!” Jack shouted.

"Come on," said Pinkie.

"If I tell you about the dreams, will you leave me alone?" Jack sighed in defeat.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye," said Pinkie, making motions for emphasis.

“Huh?” Jack asked with a blank stare.

"It's a Pinkie promise," said Pinkie Pie.

“What’s that?” asked Jack.

"It's a sacred contract that cannot be broken," Pinkie Pie responded in an unusually serious tone. "Now tell me about these dreams!" she added as she pulled her glasses and clipboard from her mane and a couch out from behind the clock tower.

“Where did those come from?” Jack nervously asked.

“I keep the glasses and notebooks in my mane, and Rarity stores fainting couches all over Ponyville," Pinkie Pie explained.

So, the weirdness isn’t exclusive to Pinkie Pie then," Jack thought to himself.

“Let’s get started!” said Pinkie as she motioned for Jack to lay down on the couch. “What are these dreams about?”

What is she, a therapist?” wondered Jack. “They’re about things in the past that I regret.”

“Things? As in plural?” asked Pinkie.

"Yes, as in plural," Jack responded.

“How many?” asked Pinkie.

"Four," Jack answered.

"Let's start with the one that's bothering you the least," Pinkie Pie decided.

"My brother and I never had a good relationship," Jack explained.

“Why is that?” asked Pinkie.

"Well, it all started when I unintentionally sabotaged his relationship with a girl he liked," Jack began. "I kinda told her he was a pervert."

"Go on," Pinkie encouraged.

"After that, we began to get into fights regularly stemming from (among other things) his decision to retreat into his room out of depression from the girl rejecting him and my desire to get him to forgive me," Jack explained. "These fights got physical sometimes, and by the time I left for college, he wouldn’t even talk to me anymore.”

October 5, 2017

Coastal Carolina University

Jack dialed Mark's number. After a single ring, Jack was sent to voice mail.

“Your call could not be completed at this time. Please leave a message after the beep.”

He must’ve blocked me," thought Jack. "Maybe if I call mom…”

He dialed his mother’s number.

“Hey Jack, I’m so glad you called. How was class today?” asked his mother.

"Class was fine, mom. Can I speak to Mark?"

“Oh, well, I’ll ask, but he’ll probably say no.”

After about a minute, his mother explained that Mark had no intention of talking to him.

Present Time

Ponyville Clock Tower

"It's not like you'll be here forever," said Pinkie Pie. "When Celestia manages to send you home, you can just apologize to him."

“I’ve tried that already. He'll just refuse to speak to me," Jack lamented.

“Think about it. You’ve been here about a month, right?” asked Pinkie.

"Yeah," Jack responded, unsure of where Pinkie was coming from.

"So, you've probably been missing for the same time in your world," Pinkie said. "Unless there's some weird time delay between here and there. I'll bet he's worried sick about you. He's probably forgiven you already."

Jack hadn't ever thought about it that way, and as much as he hated to admit it, what Pinkie said made a lot of sense.

"Tell me about the thing that's bothering you the second most," Pinkie Pie asked.

“The one girl I ever loved hated me and got most of my high school to hate me as well," Jack explained.

“Why is that?” asked Pinkie.

“I did something stupid and…” Jack paused.

“And what?” asked Pinkie.

"And I accidentally killed her dog!" He shouted.

“WHAT!! HOW COULD YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT!” Pinkie shouted before noticing that she had only made things worse. “I mean; what do you mean, 'accidentally?'”

"She asked me to take care of her dog for a few days while she was out of town. On the second day, I took the dog out for some exercise. I should have used a leash because it ran out into the road and got hit by a car," Jack explained. "Oh, a car is..."

"A big metal carriage that you don't have to pull?" Pinkie said.

Jack simply stared at her, slack-jawed. "How did..."

"It's a secret!" she exclaimed. "And after that, she got everypony to hate you?"

“Well, not everyone. The Circle of Bros stuck by me the whole time," Jack elaborated.

“The Circle of Bros?” Pinkie asked in confusion.

“It’s what me and my friends called ourselves," said Jack. “We’d all been thick as thieves since elementary school.”

March 7, 2007

Beech Hill Elementary School: Playground

It was recess, and while most kids were playing tag or some other game, Jack was walking in a circle around several trees. This was the typical punishment for unruly children at his school. He was far from alone; walking alongside him were Bryce, Shawn, and Chase.

“This sucks!” he complained.

“What were you expecting, dealing gum in front of the teachers like that?” asked Bryce.

“I didn’t even know there were teachers there," Jack responded.

“How could you not have seen them? They were like five feet away!” Bryce exclaimed.

“But I…” Jack started. “Shut up!”

“Both of you, shut up!” said Shawn.

"Yeah, we already have to miss recess because of you. The least you can do is let us walk without listening to your arguing," said Chase.

"You're the ones who told us to meet you by the door," said Jack.

"You guys could have waited for the teachers to leave before taking out the gum," Chase pointed out.

"Touché," said Bryce. "Hmm… I know, come by the park after school. Jack keeps extra gum in his backpack. We'll give you both a piece free of charge."

“What!?” Jack exclaimed. “Are you kidding me, Bryce? Do you have any idea how much this gum cost?”

“Just trust me on this one, Jack," said Bryce as he looked back to Shawn and Chase. “I’m Bryce. This is Jack. What are your names?”

"I'm Shawn."

"Chase."

"Nice to meet you both," said Bryce. "If you want the gum, we’ll be in Mayfield Park after class.”

"I don't know," Shawn said. "My mom says not to go places with strangers."

“She meant adults, you retard!” said Chase.

Present Time

"Shawn and Chase were a grade below me and Bryce and didn't have any reason to trust us, but ultimately decided to come to the park. In fact, they got there before me and Bryce and were playing a video game…” Jack started before realizing that there was no way Pinkie knew what a video game was. “Oh, um, a video game…”

“Is a game that’s played by controlling characters on a screen,” finished Pinkie Pie.

This is the third time she’s figured out what I was going to say before I said it. The last time was sort of understandable, but there is no way she knew what a video game was.” thought Jack. “Pinkie, seriously, how do you know that?”

"I already told you. It's a secret," Pinkie pie responded. “What happened next?”

“So, they were playing a videogame called Pokémon Emerald," explained Jack. "Now, Pokémon is a game where you catch and train creatures with different powers. One thing you can do while playing is trade Pokémon with other people."

“Oh, that sounds like fun!” said Pinkie excitedly.

"Indeed, it was," said Jack. "Anyways, as it turned out, Chase had some very rare Pokémon that he was trading with Shawn. Me and Bryce ended up asking if they wanted to trade with us, and after that, we started to hang out. Bryce even had them join our gum dealing operation. Turns out that's what he was going for the whole time, but the four of us so became friends. We ended up referring to ourselves as the Circle of Bros because we were walking in a circle when we met."

“So, you’d say this Circle of Bros was supportive of you after the dog incident?” asked Pinkie.

She's way too into this therapist thing," thought Jack. “Yes, they were very supportive,” he nodded.

"Ok, so the girl you liked got everyone to hate you, but your friends stuck up for you," Pinkie summarized as she scribbled in her notebook. "What happened next?"

“Well…” Jack began.

October 2, 2014

Ashley Ridge Parking Lot

“What do you mean, you’re switching to an online school?” asked Shawn.

“I just can’t take it anymore. Other than you guys, hardly anyone will even talk to me here and the ones who do call me a dog murderer," Jack explained.

“But, we’re here for you, brother, who cares what everyone else thinks. Yuri’s just a ditch!” said Chase.

“A what?” asked Jack.

“A dumb bitch,” replied Chase.

“I know, but I can't stand the way she and everyone else looks at me," Jack said.

“Oh, don’t be such a pussy!” Chase said. “I think you should jus…”

Bryce shot Chase a fiery glare, and the short boy shut his mouth. Turning toward Jack, he gave an understanding look. "If you really think that's what's best, then you should do it."

Present Time

"And so, I started schooling online. Unfortunately, it didn't really help all that much. Yuri and several other people who had heard about the incident from her lived in the same neighborhood as me, and the rumors were unavoidable," Jack finished.

“Did you ever think to tell the real story?” asked Pinkie.

“What?” asked Jack.

"I mean, if ponies started spreading nasty rumors about me, I would tell them the real story," said Pinkie. "So did ya?"

"Well, no, I uh…" Jack said, mentally hitting himself for not having thought of that himself. "Fucking Asperger's!

"Then, when you get back home, you should try and set the story straight. Then you should throw everypony an I forgive you party!” said Pinkie.

"That would be a sensible solution, but I haven't seen any of them since my parents moved," said Jack.

"Then why worry about it?" asked Pinkie.

Jack thought about Pinkie's question. "To be honest, I'm not really sure. I guess it's because while I didn't murder Yuri's dog, I am still responsible for it getting run over."

“You were just a foal, though. You made a dumb mistake. Maybe thinking about it like that would help?” said Pinkie. “Now come on, turn that frown upside down!”

The blond human couldn’t help but grin. Somehow, just talking about his problems with Pinkie made him feel better. However, there was worse still yet to come.

"What else has been bothering you?" asked Pinkie.

"I got one of my friends shunned by his family," Jack sighed.

"How did you do that?"

"Several years after we formed the Circle of Bros, Bryce's mother got remarried," Jack explained. "His stepfather was part of an organization called Jehovah's Witnesses. It's practically a cult, and his mother quickly joined the organization and forced him to join with her." Jack clenched his fist. "I shouldn't say practically. It is a cult! Bryce was forced to get rid of all his video games, go door to door with their stupid pamphlets, and he was forbidden to hang out with us since we weren't Jehovah's Witnesses."

"Did you lose your friendship?"

"If we stopped being friends then and there, you and I wouldn't be having this conversation," Jack shook his head. "For years, Bryce met with us in secret," A tear dropped from Jack's eyes, "but one day, a Jehovah's Witness named Jeremy confronted us as to why Bryce was skipping their cult meetings. We tried to deny that we were in contact with Bryce, but Jeremy had been stalking us. He showed us a picture of Bryce hanging out with us, and I snapped. I told him that Bryce didn't have to go to their cult meetings if he didn't want to." Another tear slipped from his eyes as his voice cracked. "If there's one thing Jehovah's Witnesses hate more than outsiders, it's openly hostile outsiders, apostates. Jeremy had proof we'd been hanging out, and that was all the organization needed.

July 12, 2013

Jack's house

Jack and Brian stood in Jack's backyard.

"Why'd you want to talk?" asked Jack.

"I've been excommunicated," Bryce answered.

"What?" Jack asked.

"The elders said that I've been associating with apostates," Bryce answered. It was as if a dam had broken in his eyes. "My family won't even talk to me anymore!"

Present Time

"Bryce's family never talked to him again," Jack sighed. "They took care of him for as long as it was legally required, but the moment he turned 18, they kicked him out. Me, Shawn, and Chase convinced our families to let him stay with us in rotation, but he was never really the same after that. "

"That's terrible!" Pinkie said, her face contorted in disgust. "It's not your fault Bryce had such awful parents!"

"But it's my fault they started shunning him," Jack retorted.

"If you ask me, he didn't lose much," said Pinkie. "What kind of family would do that to their child? The way I see it, you and your friends are his real family!"

Jack smiled. "Thanks, Pinkie."

"One more to go!" Pinkie cheered. "This one can't possibly be worse than the ones you've already talked about."

"You'd be surprised," Jack muttered. "I-I abandoned my best friend when he needed me the most,

“I thought you said you let Bryce live with you," Pinkie said.

"Well, no, although I met Bryce before we formed the Circle of Bros, we were just acquaintances who worked together to sell gum behind the teacher's backs in elementary school. When the Circle formed, I found myself hanging out with Chase more than Shawn or Bryce," Jack explained.

“So, what happened between you two then?” asked Pinkie.

"During the summer after my first year at college, Chase was hospitalized with stroke-like symptoms. The doctors found that he had a tumor in his brain, more specifically a glioblastoma." Jack explained.

“A glio what now?” asked Pinkie, cocking her head in confusion.

"A glioblastoma, it's a kind of cancer," Jack explained.

“He had a giant crab in his brain?” the pink pony asked incredulously. “How’d it get in there?”

“What? No, no, no, cancer is a deadly disease, not a crab," Jack quickly explained.

Pinkies hair deflated like a balloon. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know."

Jack sighed. "It's fine, Pinkie. Anyway, Chase was put on a treatment to shrink the tumor. However, the treatment made it hard for him to walk. At first, I would come over and take him wherever he wanted to go in my car."

"That doesn't sound like you abandoned him to me," said Pinkie.

"Notice how I said, 'at first.' As time went on, I found myself coming up with excuses to avoid visiting him. Eventually, when my junior year of college was about to start, I told Chase I would visit him on weekends when I didn’t have any schoolwork. However…”

September 14, 2019

Brooks Stadium, Coastal Carolina University

Jack was in the middle of watching a football game between the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers and the Norfolk State Spartans. It was the third quarter, and things were going unusually well for the Chanticleers.

We're actually gonna win this one," Jack thought.

His phone began to ring. Seeing it was from his mother, he answered. "Hey, mom."

A few seconds later, the phone slipped out of his hands and slammed on the concrete.

It can't be, no, I must've misheard her," he thought as he scooped his phone off the ground.

"That's not funny, mom!"

“It wasn’t a joke. Chase decided to stop taking his drugs. Mrs. Carney says he could pass at any time," his mother explained. "Listen, Honey. I want you to go home and get a goodnight's sleep. Then in the morning, you can drive down to Chase's house. Don't drive down here tonight. Give yourself some time to clear your mind and figure out what you’d like to say to him.”

September 15, 2019

Chase’s House

Jack stepped out of his CR-V and ran to Chase's door. Seconds after he rang the bell, the door opened to reveal Chase's mother.

"Thank you for c-coming, Jack. I know Chase will be glad to see you," she said as she wrapped her arms around him and sobbed into his chest. "Shawn and Bryce stopped by a few hours ago. It made him so happy."

"May I come in, Mrs. Carney?" asked Jack.

"Y-yes, of course. He's in his room." Mrs. Carney said as she pointed down the hall.

"Thank you," Jack said as he walked inside and ran to Chase's room.

Walking through the door, he found Riley sitting by his bed, her bright red from crying.

"Oh hi, Jack," she said weakly.

“Mind if I speak to him on my own?” Jack asked calmly.

“Of course not," she sniffed, slowly rising to her feet. "Oh, he can't really talk much right now, but he can hear you.”

"Thanks, Riley," said Jack as she closed the door behind her.

“Hey, Chase. How ya doin, Buddy?” Jack asked.

Chase turned his bald head toward Jack and groaned.

“I heard about…” Jack started before holding back a sob. “About what happened. I-I know that this was your choice and w-well…” he said as a tear dropped from his eyes. “I-I’m so sorry. There were so many times when I could have come to visit but chose not to! I-I know I’ve been a terrible friend,” he said as tears streamed from his eyes.

“J-a-c-k, d-on-t…” Chase muttered as the light left his eyes.

“Ch-Chase?” Jack whimpered. “CHASE!” he screamed.

Present Time

"He died right in front of me," Jack said. "His funeral happened a week later. I remember his family telling me what a wonderful friend I had been to him. How ironic, I wasn't a wonderful friend. I was awful. I don't know what he was trying to say to me, but I'm sure it wasn't anything nice. Whatever it was, I'm sure I deserved every word of it."

Finished with his story, he hopped off the couch only to land in about two feet of water. Looking around, he found that the source was a cartoonish stream of water coming from Pinkie's eyes.

This shouldn’t be physically possible!” he thought with a sweatdrop. "Pinkie?"

Pinkie Pie Jack pulled Jack into a tight embrace. “That was the saddest story I’ve ever heard! You don’t need to keep blaming yourself. You didn’t know he was going to die.”

“Hey, Pinks?” asked Jack.

“Yes?” Pinkie responded.

"I've never really sat down and talked about this stuff with anyone before," he admitted.

“Do you feel any better?” she asked.

"A little," Jack said.

While Jack's dreams didn't go away entirely, they were much less frequent than before. Jack hadn't forgiven himself by any means, but at least now he had someone to talk to. It wasn't much, but for that time, it was enough.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. I had a busy week at work, and then I had to take my car to the shop to repair a rupture in the power steering line. Anyway, next time: A Zebra comes into Ponyville, and Jack is shocked by the bigoted way the seemingly tolerant ponies treat her.

PreviousChapters Next