• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: The Cutie Mark Chronicles (Last Edited: 3/21/2023)

October 19, 2020

Edge of the Everfree Forest

Having gone to school and finished his training for the day, Jack had decided to go crusading with the girls. The Crusaders had been excited to try getting ziplining cutie marks. Well, most of them were excited.

Sweetie Belle had been acting odd for a while, but for the past few days, she almost seemed depressed. She was only vaguely interested in whatever the other Crusaders decided to do and spent a great deal of her time staring at Jack as if he was terminally ill.

Jack had tried to ask what was bothering Sweetie Belle, but the filly would only look away. Even as she stood, hooked up and ready to zip line, she seemed uninterested.

“Alright!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Let’s do this!”

Running forward, Jack and the Crusaders let their harnesses catch them as they zipped down the line. Unfortunately, the combination of their weight and the friction of their links was too much for the old rope, which snapped once they reached the middle, plummeting the four of them into the canopy.

They crashed against branches and needles but luckily reached the ground with only scrapes and bruises, as well as a layer of sticky pine sap.

“See anythin’?” Apple Bloom asked.

Turning her head to examine her sap-covered flank, Scootaloo said, “Tree sap and pine needles but no cutie mark.”

“Man, if I had a bit for every time our crusades ended with us covered in tree sap, I’d have at least five bits,” Jack groaned. “Which isn’t much, but it’s weird it happened more than once.”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom chuckled at this observation. Sweetie Belle, on the other hand, didn’t react.

“What should we try now?” Apple Bloom asked.

“You know where we can find a cannon at this hour?” Scootaloo asked mysteriously.

“I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is no,” Jack answered sternly.

“This town is full of ponies who have their cutie marks,” Apple Bloom pointed out, washing her face with a nearby water bucket. “Why don't we ask them how they did it?”

“That sounds reasonable,” Jack agreed, rinsing his face with a bucket Apple Bloom had passed him. “What do you think, Sweets?” he asked, noticing Sweetie Belle’s seeming lack of interest.

“Sounds… good,” Sweetie Belle answered halfheartedly.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo exclaimed, wiping the sap from her face. “And we can start with the coolest pony in Ponyville!”

“Applejack!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

Unlike Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle remained silent. Normally she would have suggested her own sister in response to such a statement.

“Come on, Apple Bloom, I said cool!” Scootaloo said, rolling her eyes. “You know who I'm talking about,” she said, using her flimsy wings to propel herself around the nearby trees. “She's fast. She's tough. She's not afraid of anything!”

“Pinkie Pie?” Apple Bloom asked in confusion.

“No!” Scootaloo answered with enthusiasm. “The greatest flyer ever to come out of Cloudsdale!”

“Fluttershy?” Apple Bloom asked, clearly trolling.

“No!” Scootaloo replied. “Rainbow Dash!”

“Oh!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, still pretending not to have understood to begin with. “Yeah, that makes much more sense.”

“Let's do it,” Scootaloo said. “Let's find out how Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark!”

“Yeah!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, giving Scootaloo a hoofbump.

Watching in amusement as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo tried to pull apart their sap-covered hooves, Jack turned to Sweetie Belle. “What do you think, Sweets? Wanna find out how Dash got her cutie mark.”

“I guess,” Sweetie Belle responded weakly.

Jack could tell something was bothering her. Unfortunately, he had no idea if he should ask her about it. Shrugging it off, he and Sweetie Belle followed Apple Bloom into the cart attached to Scootaloo’s scooter, and they took off.

Road near Sweet Apple Acres

Scootaloo zipped down the road pulling her friends behind her. She was on a straight path to Rainbow Dash’s house with no plans of stopping. Unfortunately, she hadn’t accounted for obstacles. A trio of bunnies hopped out in front of her, and she came skidding to a halt.

“Get back here, you thievin' varmints!” shouted a voice from the side of the road.

“Thievin' what now?” Apple Bloom asked as Applejack leaped out of the bushes.

“Oh shit!” Jack shouted as Applejack crashed into the wagon, sending him, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle flying.

Closing his eyes and bracing for impact, Jack’s back slammed into the ground with a thud, and he felt something slam into his chest. Feeling something wet on his nose, he blinked his eyes open to find himself nose-to-nose with Apple Bloom.

Why her?” Jack thought to himself, cursing his luck. “You alright, Bloom?” he groaned.

“Eep!” Apple Bloom squeaked, scurrying away and hiding her face behind her tail.

“Is there somthin’ I should know about?” Applejack asked darkly.

“What?!” Jack asked franticly. “Of course not. You know I…!”

“Ah’m jus’ kiddin’,” Applejack said with a laugh. “Ah know ya wouldn’ pull somethin’ like that, Jack. Where are y’all headin’ off tuh in such a hurry?”

“We were going to ask Rainbow Dash how she got her cutie mark,” Jack answered.

Having gotten over her embarrassment, Apple Bloom got an idea. “Hey, sis! How'd ya get yer cutie mark?” she asked.

“Ah never told you that story?” Applejack asked.

“Hey!” Scootaloo called. “I thought we were gonna ask Rainbow Dash.”

“We need all the help we can get,” Apple Bloom argued.

“Ugh, Fine,” Scootaloo reluctantly agreed.

“Why, shoot,” Applejack said, beginning her tale. “I was just a little filly. Even littler than y'all.”

Applejack explained how she had left Sweet Apple Acres to move in with her aunt and uncle Orange in Manehatten. The Oranges were once a branch Apple clan, but they cut ties with the main family after Bright Mac and Pear Butter renounced the family’s business class status. As such, the Oranges maintained their class status and privileges, which is what attracted Applejack. Shortly into her stay, Applejack grew tired of business-class life. The fancy clothes, high-class mannerisms, and small portions simply weren’t to her taste. One day she was staring longingly out the window in the direction of Ponyville. As if out of nowhere, a rainbow shot across the sky, pointing her home. It was then that she realized what she was meant to do. She followed the rainbow all the way back to Sweet Apple Acres, where her cutie mark finally appeared.

“I've been happily workin' in the farm ever since,” Applejack explained.

It was at that point that the rabbits returned to mock Applejack.

“There they are!” Applejack exclaimed. “Get back here, ya thievin' varmints!” she yelled, chasing after them.

“Ugh, so sappy!” Scootaloo gagged, hopping onto her scooter. “Come on! Let’s find Rainbow Dash!”

As Jack followed Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom into the wagon, he couldn’t help but reflect on the start of his own journey to self-discovery.

August 19, 2017

Coastal Carolina University: Eaglin Hall

With his dad’s help, Jack hauled his turtle tank into his tiny dorm. Once it was securely placed on his desk, they walked out into the common room and slumped onto the couch where Jack’s mother was waiting for them.

“W-where’s Mark?” Jack panted.

“He went back to the car,” Jack’s mom sighed. “I asked him to stay for a family picture, but he refused.”

“Oh,” Jack said sadly.

“Oh, never mind him,” Jack’s mom dismissed. “Tell us about your schedule!”

“Oh, well, I have precalculus from 8 to 9 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, introduction to marine science Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11 to 12, English on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1 to 2, First Year Experience Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 5 to 6, and finally intro to marine science lab on Tuesday from 1 to 4.”

“Oooh, I’m so proud of you!” Jack’s mom cried, hugging him tightly.

“Marine biology is a fine career choice, Jack,” Jack’s dad said. “I know you’ll do the Jager name proud.”

September 24, 2017

A few weeks in, and things hadn’t been going quite to plan. When Jack had chosen marine science, he wasn’t expecting there to be so much math. His first tests of the semester had been disasters. English was going fine, his first paper had landed him a B. But he had a C in his marine science lab, a D in the lecture, and his precalculus grade was a flat-out F.

Turning on his phone, he clicked on the Discord app and opened up the private server he and the Circle of Bros had made.

“You guys there?” he typed.

A half-minute passed.

“I’m here, dude,” Chase replied. “How goes the tasing?”

“Do I even want to know what that means?” Jack asked.

“Tail chasing!” Chase replied. “You’re at Coastal. It’s fucking party school. You have to have gotten laid by now!”

“I haven’t really had much time for partying,” Jack confessed. “Honestly, I think I might just quit.”

“Hey guys,” Shawn typed. “Just finished with my honors homework. Need to keep my grades up to get into Clemson. What’s up?”

“LMAO! You could fail every test this semester, and your GPA would still be high enough to get in,” Bryce typed. “Loosen up!”

“Jack said he might quit Coastal,” Chase typed.

“Y?” Shawn asked.

“My grades are dogshit!” Jack answered. “All this math is killing me!”

“I warned you not to pick anything science-related,” Shawn typed. “You were never good at math.”

“Sorry guys, I gotta go,” Bryce typed. “My manager just texted me. I need to make more calls, or they’ll fire me. Y don’t you just change majors, Jack?”

“Where do you work again,” Chase asked.

“I think he said Cutco,” Jack answered.

“Pretty sure that’s a pyramid scheme,” Shawn typed. “Anyway, he’s right, Jack. You should change majors.”

Present Time

Road near Fluttershy’s Cottage

By the time Jack had finished reminiscing, they had already passed Rainbow Dash’s house. Apparently, she hadn’t been home.

As they passed by Fluttershy’s Cottage, the shy mare jumped out in front of them, causing Scootaloo to crash once again.

As Jack and the Crusaders pulled themselves to their feet/hooves, a line of ducks crossed the road in front of them.

“All right, little ones. This way. This way,” Fluttershy goaded. “You really should be more careful,” she scolded the Crusaders. “Somepony could get hurt. Why are you in such a hurry anyway?”

“We're trying to find Rainbow Dash, so we can hear how she earned her cutie mark,” Scootaloo explained.

“Oh, that would be interesting,” Fluttershy said. “You know, I wouldn't have gotten my cutie mark if it weren't for her.”

“Rainbow Dash?! Really?!” Scootaloo asked, rearing her legs excitedly.

“Oh yes,” Fluttershy answered. “It all started at Summer Flight Camp.”

Fluttershy explained how she was bullied at flight camp, but Rainbow Dash stuck up for her. Challenging the bullies to a race, Rainbow Dash chose to defend Fluttershy’s honor. However, in the process of the race, Fluttershy, who could not yet fly, was pushed off the cloud and landed in a meadow full of cute animals. She quickly bonded with the creatures, but they were frightened off by a colorful blast in the sky. As if on instinct, Fluttershy comforted the animals, and that was when her cutie mark appeared.

“Wait, wait, wait,” Scootaloo interrupted, already back on her scooter. “What happened to Rainbow Dash? What about the race?”

“Oh. Well, I wasn't there, so I don't really know what happened,” Fluttershy answered.

“Come on, Crusaders,” Scootaloo said, beckoning them to the wagon. “We've gotta find her. Besides, I can't take anymore singing.”

“We could ask Rarity where she is,” Jack said. “Carousel Boutique isn’t far from here. What do you think, Sweetie Belle?”

Without even looking at Jack, Sweetie Belle answered, “Yeah, Rarity might know.”

As they took off, Jack continued to reminisce.

December 25, 2017

Jack’s House

Jack had barely made it through his first semester. He’d dropped the precalculus course just in time to do so without negative consequences, replacing it with a sociology course he did quite well in. His marine science courses were another matter. He had a C in the lab enough to move on to the next level of courses. Or at least it would have been if he didn’t have a D in the lecture. If he wanted to continue with his degree, he would have to retake both the marine science lecture and precalculus, so he made a hard decision.

It was Christmas morning, and Jack had just finished unwrapping his final present. A copy of South Park: The Fractured but Whole for the Xbox One. Mark had already collected his gifts and stormed off to his room, but not before making a point of throwing Jack’s gift to him in the trash.

“Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Dad,” Jack said. “Uh, before we clean up the wrapping paper, I have something I need to tell you.”

“Of course, honey,” Jack’s mother agreed with a warm smile. “You can talk to us about anything.”

“I’m thinking of changing majors,” Jack admitted.

“What brought this on?” Jack’s dad asked.

“You saw my grades,” Jack answered glumly. “I just can’t do the math.”

“You know, I didn’t do well my semester of college either,” Jack’s dad admitted. “Are you sure you want to give up on your dream so easily? What would you change your major to? You don’t want to end up with a degree you aren’t interested in.”

“If I keep trying, I’ll have to do an extra semester, maybe even more,” Jack said. “I think I’ll try history. I’m almost as interested in that as I am in marine science. Doesn’t hurt that it’s been my best subject since middle school either.”

Present Time

Carousel Boutique

Upon their arrival at Carousel Boutique, Jack and the Crusaders found themselves being inducted as living mannequins for Rarity’s latest line.

“How did we get roped into this?” Scootaloo asked as Rarity finished the measurements for the cloth she was wearing. “Oh, we'll never hear Rainbow Dash's story.”

“Are you girls still obsessing over your cutie marks?” Rarity asked.

“They wouldn’t be the Cutie Mark Crusaders if they weren’t,” Jack answered. “We’ve been trying to find Rainbow Dash to hear how she got hers, but we keep getting distracted.”

“Oh, I could tell you a lovely story,” Rarity said. “For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why I didn't have mine.”

Rarity explained how she had always had a love for fashion. She would even make the costumes for school plays. However, she always felt something was missing. One day her horn began to glow uncontrollably, and she found herself being dragged far outside of Ponyville to a large rock. Having assumed she was being led to her destiny, she grew frustrated and turned to leave, but she was stopped by a burst of color in the sky, unleashing shockwaves that split the rock, revealing a geode of brilliant gems. Inspired, she gathered the jewels and used them on her costumes. During the next school play, as she saw her work in use, her cutie mark appeared.

“Ugh!” Scootaloo groaned. “These namby-pamby stories aren't getting us any closer to our cutie marks! They're all about finding who you really are and boring stuff like that.”

“Yes, Scootaloo, that's exactly...” Rarity tried to interject.

Scootaloo wasn’t listening and was already ushering her friends out the door.

As Jack walked out the door, a thought flashed in his mind before vanishing as he climbed into the wagon. “I would have thought Sweetie Belle would at least have been interested in her sister’s story.

Indeed, Sweetie Belle had acted just as disinterested in Rarity’s story as she had with the others.

They had forgotten to ask Rarity if she knew where Rainbow Dash was, so jack had plenty of time to continue pondering on his own story.

March 28, 2018

Coastal Carolina University: Brittain Hall

Jack’s semester so far had been slightly disappointing. He’d enrolled in two history courses to see if he’d do better. His grades had improved, though not as much as he’d hoped.

Still, he’d made up his mind and was meeting with his advisor about changing his major.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” his advisor, a slightly wrinkled, middle-aged lady, asked. “Continuing with your current degree would only take you an extra semester.”

“I’m sure, ma’am,” Jack said. “I’ve lost my state scholarship already. I can’t afford to take any risks.”

“Very well,” the advisor nodded. “You’ll need to take this document to the Office of Registrar. They’ll send you an email within five days instructing you to meet with your new advisor regarding your schedule for next semester.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Jack said.

May 10, 2018

Summerville SC: Herbert H. Jessen Public Boat Landing

Jack was surprisingly satisfied with his grades that semester. Sure, he hadn’t brought his GPA up enough to regain his state scholarship, but at least he knew he wouldn’t be facing academic probation. As such, he and the Circle of Bros had taken this as an opportunity to celebrate.

In celebration of Jack’s first year of college, his mom had handed down her 2004 Honda CR-V to him just a few days prior. Sure, it was a 14-year-old car, but it was a Honda, so it still worked. The green paint job didn’t hurt Jack’s fondness for the vehicle either.

As he pulled into a parking space, he and his friends rushed out of the vehicle and grabbed their fishing poles from the trunk along with a large cooler and tackle box. The plan was to gorge themselves on junk food and play Pokémon Go while they fished.

“So, how’s unife?” Chase asked as he and Jack dragged the cooler down to the docks.

“How’s what?” Jack asked.

“University life,” Chase elaborated.

“Oh, it’s going all right,” Jack said as they placed the cooler down on the planks.

“History, huh?” Chase asked. “Guess we won’t have many classes together.”

“Yeah, probably not,” Jack agreed. “But at least we’ll be going to the same school.”

“KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!” they heard Bryce and Shawn shout from behind them, dropping the tackle box with a thud.

Turning around, Jack and Chase bust out laughing at the sight of their friends squirming over a spider whose web they’d walked into.

“It’s just banana spider, guys,” Jack laughed. “It’s fucking harmless.”

These words were of no use as Bryce and Shawn were both terrified of any kind of spider.

“Get it off!!” Bryce shouted.

“I can feel it crawling on my neck!” Shawn screamed.

By this point, Chase had already walked over to them and was brushing them off. Grabbing the spider with his bare hands, he chucked it over the dock’s railing.

Bryce and Shawn shuddered as they walked over the water to the bank.

“I hear you got into Clemson, Shawn,” Jack said, trying to change the topic. “What’s your major?”

“Triple majoring in physics, general engineering, and computer science,” Shawn answered. “Yuri’s majoring in criminal justice and minoring in military leadership.”

“I didn’t ask about Yuri,” Jack muttered to himself. “Wow! That’s a lot of majors. I know you’re a smart guy, but don’t you think that’s a bit much?”

“Not really,” Shawn answered with a shrug.

“What about you, Bryce?” Jack asked. “Heard you quit your job with Cutco.”

“Yeah, I wasn’t really making any money with that,” Bryce said darkly. “You guys were right. It’s a pyramid scheme. I’m working as a contractor for the Boeing plant by the airport.”

“That’s cool,” Jack said. “Any idea where you’ll go from there?”

“No clue,” Bryce admitted. “What about you? Planning on being a teacher or something?”

“God no!” Jack answered. “I’m not really sure what I want to do with my degree.”

Present Time

Ponyville Market

During their search, they came across Twilight in the marketplace. Upon hearing the Crusaders' plans, she decided to tell her own story.

She explained how she had been inspired to study magic after seeing Celestia raise the Sun at the Summer Sun Festival. Her parents had enrolled her in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, but she had to pass an entrance exam. She was given a dragon egg and asked to hatch it with her magic. Unfortunately, no matter how much she tried, she couldn’t muster enough magic to do it. Just as she was about to give up, she was startled by a loud burst of color in the sky, and her magic went haywire. Not only did she hatch the egg, she turned the dragon hatchling into a full-grown drake whose head smashed through the roof, transformed her parents into potted plants, and left the examiners helpless to stop her. Fortunately, Celestia was in the area to calm her down. Once everything was set right, Celestia offered to take Twilight on as her own personal protégé and pointed out the cutie mark which had appeared on her flanks.

Fully immersed in her story, Twilight began jumping around in circles, gleefully shouting, “Yes yes yes!” over and over again.

“Okay, okay,” Apple Bloom said awkwardly.

“I get that you’re excited, Twi, but you’re in public,” Jack said to no avail.

“Let's get out of here while we still can,” Scootaloo said.

Jack and the Crusaders left Twilight still jumping around, oblivious to the stares she was getting. As they walked, Jack continued thinking of his journey.

January 18, 2019

Brittain Hall

Jack had been doing quite well for himself as of late. He’d regained his state scholarship, and he was confident in his ability to keep it. Today he had decided to choose a minor and was visiting his advisor to choose between his options. He still didn’t know what he wanted to do with his degree, so he thought he might as well choose something he’d find easy.

“You did pretty well in the sociology class you took your first semester,” his advisor said. “Why not try that?”

“Maybe?” Jack mused.

“Perhaps a foreign language then?” his advisor asked. “You might find another language quite handy as a historian. I believe you’re taking a German class this semester, correct?”

“I am, but only to meet my foreign language requirement,” Jack said. “I’m barely sufficient at English so, I don’t see myself taking any more foreign language classes than I need to.”

“Very well, perhaps something more socially aware?” his advisor asked. “I understand you’re quite outspoken with your views. Maybe a social justice or gender studies minor?”

“No thanks,” Jack dismissed. “I don’t need to give people another reason to call me a commie, SJW, cultural Marxist, or whatever the buzzword of the day happens to be.”

And that’s when it hit Jack. “What about religious studies?”

Ever since Chase came down with cancer, Jack had found himself questioning his faith. How could a God that was supposedly all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful let his friend suffer like that? If he was all-knowing, surely he knew of Chase’s suffering, if he was all-powerful, surely he could stop said suffering, and if he was also all good, surely he would put a stop to it. So why hadn’t he? Perhaps a more secular understanding could give him his answer.

“We could do that,” his advisor answered. “Is that your decision?”

“Yes, I think it is,” Jack nodded.

Present Time

Ponyville Marketplace

“Ugh!” Scootaloo groaned as she continued through the marketplace. “Why don't we ever smash into Rainbow Dash?!”

“You're looking for Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie Pie asked. She had apparently perched herself on the back of the wagon without anyone noticing. “If I was her, I'd be at Sugarcube Corner. Of course, if I was anyone, I'd be at Sugarcube Corner. Hey! I have an idea! Wanna go to Sugarcube Corner?”

“When… did you get here?” Jack asked, trying not to freak out.

“Just now,” Pinkie answered.

“Well, we’re trying to find out how Rainbow Dash got her cutie mark, so if you don’t mind,” Jack said, hoping Pinkie would leave.

“Cutie mark?” Pinkie asked. “Come with me, and I'll tell you how I got mine!”

“Why not?” Scootaloo sighed.

Damnit!” Jack mentally screamed.

Pinkie Pie explained how she grew up on a rock farm with a family who never smiled. One day as she worked the fields, she witnessed an amazing air blast of color followed by a rainbow. This inspired her to throw a party for her family in the barn. When her party brought smiles to her emotionless family, she received her cutie mark.

“And that's how Equestria was made!” Pinkie said randomly, prompting Scootaloo to stop in her tracks.

“Wha... huh?” Scootaloo asked.

“Look!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “We're here!”

“Maybe on the way home, I can tell you the story of how I got my cutie mark,” Pinkie Pie said as she skipped inside Sugar Cube Corner. “It's a gem!”

Scootaloo looked as if she was about to say something.

“Don’t even bother, Scoots,” Jack sighed. “No one understands her.”

“Ugh...” Scootaloo sighed, following them inside. Her attitude soon changed when she saw who was waiting for them. “Rainbow Dash! You're here!”

Indeed, she was, along with the rest of the Mane Six.

“I hear you're looking for my cutie mark story,” Rainbow Dash said smugly.

“You have no idea what I've been through today to hear that story,” Scootaloo sighed, slumping onto the floor.

Rainbow Dash explained how during her race to defend Fluttershy’s honor, she had to deal with her opponents’ dirty tricks. However, through sheer determination to win, she found herself going faster than anypony had ever gone before, culminating in her first sonic rainboom, after which her cutie mark appeared.

“And that, little ones, is how you earn a cutie mark,” Rainbow Dash finished.

“Whooooaaaa...” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Wait a second,” Fluttershy said. “I heard that explosion. And I saw the rainbow too. Rainbow Dash, if you hadn't scared the animals, I never would have learned I could communicate with them and gotten my cutie mark.”

“I heard that boom!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. “And right afterward, there was this amazing rainbow that taught me to smile.”

“When Ah got my cutie mark, Ah saw a rainbow that pointed me home,” Applejack said. “Ah bet it was your sonic rainboom!”

“There was an explosion I could never explain when I got my cutie mark,” Rarity added.

“This is uncanny!” Twilight exclaimed. “If that explosion didn't happen when it did, I would have blown my entrance exam. Rainbow Dash, I think you helped me earn my cutie mark too!”

As the Mane Six chattered excitedly about how it seemed to be fate they became friends, Jack continued thinking of his own story.

May 8, 2019

Hunting Island State Park

Over the course of Jack’s sophomore year, his family had moved to Beaufort, South Carolina. His mother had informed him there was a maintenance position available at the nearby state park. Since the State Park Service was known for hiring history majors, he could use the job to make connections for when he graduated.

After filling out his application and answering a few questions, he was given a document to fill out for a SLED criminal background check.

“There won’t be any evil twins showing up in our search, I assume,” the park director joked.

“Nothing of the sort, sir,” Jack answered.

“Excellent!” the park director exclaimed. “I need to get going now. The park rangers need help moving a beached whale for the biologists to dissect. If you do well at this job, we might hire you as a ranger one day.”

“You mean, history majors can be park rangers?” Jack asked.

“Of course,” the park director answered. “We have a historic lighthouse on the property. A background in history is absolutely a qualifying skillset.”

That was the moment Jack figured out what he wanted to do.

Present Time

Sugar Cube Corner

Oni-Hime watched as Jack and the Crusaders left. As Sweetie Belle was about to leave, she noticed Oni-Hime watching her and flinched. Oni-Hime responded with a malicious smile before retreating to her room. She remembered how she got her cutie mark and why her mission was so important.

November 18, 1726

Nurembit, Germaneigh

Oni-Hime stared at the beer hall in front of her with amazement. She had seen nothing like it in Neighpon. It had been two years since her mother was murdered, and she’d spent the past two years searching for her father, whom she’d learned was from Germaneigh. She’d arrived in the country a year ago, and thanks to surprisingly helpful stallions and some mares as well, she’d managed to track a lead down to this particular beer hall.

Scurrying inside, she made her way to the bartender. “I’m looking for this stallion,” she said, passing a wood print of a large stallion her mother had identified as her father.

“Ich know of ihn,” the bartender acknowledged, “but was in it for me?”

“I don’t have much money, misutā,” Oni-Hime said.

“Then was gut are…?” the bartender began. He couldn’t finish his sentence. One look in the filly’s eyes, and he wanted nothing more than to help her. “How can ich help you, Fräulein?”

“That stallion is my oto-san,” Oni-Hime explained. “Could you please take me to him?”

“Of course, Fräulein,” the bartender agreed.

“How could ich turn down such eine schön Stutfohlen?” he asked.

The bartender brought Oni-Hime to a room in the back, where a black alicorn was reading a large novel.

“Ich thought ich told you, nicht to bother me,” the alicorn grumbled.

“Ich kenne, Blutknochen, but your daughter is here to see you,” the bartender said.

“Daughter?” Blutknochen asked. “Ich habe nein daughter.”

“Oto-san!” Oni-Hime exclaimed, practically jumping on Blutknochen with her embrace. “I finally found you!”

“Ich bin nicht your father!” Blutknochen insisted. “Why are you here?”

“Okka-san was… Korosareta,” Oni-Hime answered. “So I came here to live with you.”

“Ich habe nein idea was are are talking about!” Blutknochen shouted, violently wrestling her off of him. “Get out of my sight!”

Oni-Hime did as she was told, but she was undeterred. She came back day after day until finally, after months had passed, Blutknochen relented.

“If you are mein daughter, then there is einen way to prove it!” Blutknochen said pulling a necklace with a black gem from his desk. “Put this on und prove yourself!”

Oni-Hime did as instructed and placed the necklace around her neck. She was overcome with a tingly sensation, and her eyes let out a pink glow.

“Tell the Barkeeper zu sterben,” Blutknochen instructed to the bartender’s horror.

Turning to the bartender who led her to her father, in a soft, smooth voice, she said, “Arigatō bartender-san, please shin.

The look of horror on the bartender’s face was replaced with one of ecstasy as he grabbed a beer bottle from a nearby shelf, smashed it, and plunged the jagged glass into his neck.

As she watched him collapse on the floor, blood oozing from his neck, a Flaming Heart appeared on her flanks.

“It appears ich may habe been wrong about you,” Blutknochen said. “Congratulations on your cutie mark, meine daughter. You habe been chosen by the Element of Lust!”

Author's Note:

I know this is a day late, but only by a few hours. In real-life news, I'm dealing with minor chemical burns on my knuckles because apparently, you are supposed to wear gloves when handling degreaser. I feel like I should have been informed of this when I started the job, but all I was told was to wash my hands after using it.
Next Time: The leaders of the Nationalist Party have a secret meeting with the Elements of Chaos where they discuss their plans for the Grand Galloping Gala. Meanwhile, in one last desperate attempt, Sweetie Belle tries to warn Jack directly.

PreviousChapters Next