• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: All Ponies Attack (Last Edited 8/12/2022)

August 16, 2020

Scootaloo’s House

Scootaloo’s aunts returned home early when they learned that Jack had recovered from his illness. They, of course, had no clue as to the real reason for his weeklong disappearance. The moment they returned home, they made arrangements with Fluttershy for a playdate between Scootaloo and Jack.

Jack had arrived a few minutes ago, and Mrs. Lofty was making tea while he and Scootaloo sat in the living room with Mrs. Holiday.

“Scootaloo says you're a pretty good student," Holiday noted. “Top of the class even. 100s on every test. That’s impressive.”

“It’s not that impressive,” Jack blushed. “Or at least it wouldn’t be if she knew the truth.

"Modest too," Holiday chuckled. "You know Scootaloo hasn't really been doing all that well in school. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d really appreciate it if you could help her out.”

“Aunt Holiday!” Scootaloo complained.

"You'll thank me later, honey," Holiday said to her niece.

"Tea's ready," Lofty said, walking in with the refreshments. "You wanted yours sweetened, right, Jack?"

"Yes, thank you," Jack nodded. "If Scoots is having trouble studying, I'd be more than willing to help," he said to Holiday.

Everfree Forest

It had taken a great deal of effort for Oni-Hime to slip into the forest without being noticed. Especially with Pinkie popping up at random times and locations. She had seen more than enough to convince her that Pinkie Pie had some kind of supernatural power. However, from what she could tell, Pinkie wasn't capable of reading minds or doing anything else that would compromise her mission. Still, she felt it best to act with extra care whenever the unpredictable mare was around.

“Mizu Setsuzoku," she chanted, dipping a hoof into the water.

“Hallo, Oni-Hime,” Blutknochen said.

“Moshi moshi, Otōsan," Oni-Hime greeted.

“Was have you to report?”

“There have been some…” Oni-Hime paused to think of the right word. “Complications.”

“Was kind of complications?”

Oni-Hime explained how she had been taken in by Pinkie Pie and found out about her strange powers.

“The Element of Laughter will only be ein problem if you allow her to be," Blutknochen dismissed. “Was have you to report on Herr Jack?"

“His mahō power is sugoi!" Oni-Hime replied. “Yesterday, he even defeated a hydra!”

“He killed eine hydra?” Blutknochen asked. “He’s progressing faster than expected.”

"Well, he didn't actually kill it," Oni-Hime said. “Jack-sama cut off all the heads, but he forgot to burn the stubs. The beast is probably wandering the bog with…” she paused to do the math. “Jūroku heads right now.”

“Eine sechzehn-headed hydra?” asked Blutknochen.

"Hai," Oni-Hime nodded.

“Lure it to Ponyville,” Blutknochen instructed. “I wish to see his power for mein self.”

“Hai, Otō-san,” Oni-Hime bowed.

Scootaloo’s House

"Well, it was wonderful getting to know you both, but I really should be getting to Sweet Apple Acres," Jack said to his hosts. "I agreed to help Applejack out with the barn."

"It was nice meeting you too, Jack," Lofty said. "Just make sure to double-check with us next time Scootaloo says we agreed to let her go somewhere.”

“Yes, ma'am," Jack nodded. “I promise that won’t happen again.”

"If you ever need anything, feel free to come over," Holiday said as Jack walked to the door. "You're welcome here any time."

"Thanks, Mrs. Holiday," Jack called from the doorway. "I'll keep that in mind."

Once Jack was gone, Holiday turned to her niece and smiled. "He seems nice. I can see why you like him so much.”

“It’s not like that!” Scootaloo said quickly.

“Not like what?” Holiday chuckled. “I wasn’t implying anything.”

Sugarcube Corner

Upon her return to Ponyville, Oni-Hime immediately invited Snips and Snails to Sugar Cube Corner. Leaving the two by the counter, she retreated to her room to finalize her plan.

“Why do you think Sakura only invited us?” asked Snips as they waited for her to come back.

“Maybe she wants to confess her love to me, eh,” Snails offered.

"Don't be ridiculous," Snips said with a glare. "If she was confessing to you, she wouldn't have invited me."

"Oh, yeah, I guess that makes sense," Snails agreed.

“Obviously, she’s decided to confess her love to me instead," Snips said, rubbing a hoof through his mane to straighten it out.

As the two colts continued their discussion, Sakura Blossom finally came down from her room.

“Gomen'nasai” Sakura bowed her head. “I didn’t mean to make you wait.”

"Don't worry about it," Snips said.

"You can make us wait as long as you want," Snails agreed.

“I called you both here to ask for a favor," Sakura announced before pulling out a month-old newspaper article.

Local Colts Bring Destruction to Ponyville!

“Is it true that you brought an ursa minor into town?”

“Well, there’s um, a funny story behind that…” Snips nervously began.

"We were tricked by a phony magician named Trixie," Snails said matter-of-factly.

“SNAILS!” the Snips complained. “Don’t tell her that. She’s going to think we’re stupid!”

The sudden outburst caused several ponies, including Mayor Mare, Derpy, and Sweetie Belle, to look up from their tables to see the commotion.

"Perhaps we should take this somewhere more private," Sakura said quietly. "Let's continue this conversation upstairs."

Sakura’s Room

“So, it’s true?” Sakura asked.

"Yeah, but we learned our lesson!" Snips exclaimed, desperate to save his reputation.

"Never again," Snails confirmed.

"You both must be very brave," Sakura said, running a hoof along Snips’s right leg.

Snips' face flushed bright red. “Y-you think?” he asked.

“Mochiron," Sakura affirmed, running a hoof along Snails' chin and giving him puppy dog eyes. "Ē to, I dropped something rather important to me at Froggy Bottom Bog yesterday. It would mean so much to me if you’d help me find it.”

“But, isn’t there a hydra there?” Snips asked nervously.

"I figured two brave colts like yourselves wouldn't be scared," Sakura pouted. "Besides, Jack-sama killed it yesterday."

"I don't know, eh," Snails said.

“Of course, we'll help you!" Snips shouted.

Sweet Apple Acres: Barn

Upon his departure from Scootaloo's house, Jack went straight to Sweet Apple Acres to see what work the Apples had in store for him.

“So, what was it you needed my help with?" Jack asked, noticing a saw, measuring tape, a hammer, some nails, and a piece of plywood.

“A few days ago, Apple Bloom was in the barn, and it started rainin'," Applejack said. "Acordin' tuh her there’s a leak right over there," she informed, pointing to a section of the barn with a small storage crevice."

“I’m guessing none of you can fit in there?” Jack deduced.

“Eyup," Big Macintosh confirmed.

“Ah offered tuh do it mahself, but Applejack and Big Mac won't let me," Apple Bloom pouted.

“Yer too young tuh be messin' with mah tools," Applejack said.

“Eyup," Big Mac agreed.

“But yer lettin' Jack do it," Apple Bloom complained. "He's the same age as me!"

"Jack's different," Applejack said. "Unlike you, he's experienced with tools and ain’t gonna get himself hurt.”

"Eyup," Big Mac agreed with a hesitant nod that betrayed his uncertainty.

Froggy Bottom Bog

“So, you dropped it around here?” asked Snips.

“Zattsuraito," Sakura answered as she scanned the bog for any signs of the hydra.

“What did she say?” asked Snails.

"It kinda sounded like that's right," answered Snips.

Continuing to scan the water, Sakura soon spotted what she was looking for. Her eyes locked onto a massive line of bubbles forming in the middle of the water, where there was presumably a large channel. It was as if something large was disturbing the detritus along the bottom.

“Oh, co-ol-ts," Sakura called as she threw a shiny Neighponies coin to the opposite bank.

“What is it?” Snips asked eagerly.

"I found it," Sakura answered. "See that shiny coin on the bank?"

Snips and Snails looked where she was pointing and nodded.

"Go get it," she instructed. "Kudasai," she added with puppy dog eyes.

“You bet!” Snips and Snails exclaimed at the same time as they jumped in.

They were only halfway across when two reptilian eyes peered out from the murk. Slowly but surely, one of the hydra's serpentine necks rose from the depths.

Snails was the first to notice. “Uh, Snips?” he gulped.

"What is it, Snails?"

“You might want to look at this, eh.”

“What are you tal…” Snips asked before noticing what his friend was looking at. “AAAAAAHHHHHH!”

The two unicorns turned around and swam to shore as quickly as possible as the sixteen-headed hydra stepped out of the bog after them. "RUUUUN!" they shouted when they reached Sakura.

Sweet Apple Acres: Barn

It had taken five and a half hours, but Jack had finally found the leak. A section of plywood had rotted through and had to be replaced, exactly as he'd suspected. Although Jack fit into the crevice maneuvering the saw was easier said than done. After forty grueling minutes, he was finished.

"Well, I patched it up for now, but if you keep having problems, it might be better just to tear the whole thing down and build a new one," Jack reported.

"Thank ya kindly, Jack," Applejack replied.

Jack took off his park service hat to wipe the sweat off his forehead. Just as he was about to head back to Fluttershy's, he heard a familiar roar from the south. Turning to see what was making the noise Jack and the Apples could see the sixteen-headed hydra smashing its way through the orchard. To make matters worse, it was in pursuit of three foals.

Applejack wasted no time barking orders. "Big Mac, get Granny Smith an' take her 'n Apple Bloom to the cellar! Jack, tell Twilight what’s happenin'!

“What about you?” Jack asked.

“Ah’m gonna go get those foals," Applejack answered.

"You got it, AJ!" Jack shouted as he ran off.

South Orchard

“If we can just make it to Apple Bloom-san’s house, we’ll be fine!” shouted Sakura Blossom.

“I… don’t… know… how… much… longer… I… can… keep… running!” panted Snips before he collapsed from exhaustion.

Sakura and Snails continued running, unaware of their fallen friend. Unfortunately, the hydra was aware of Snips' predicament and moved in for the kill. Just as it was about to snap Snips up in one of its jaws, the plump colt was yanked to safety in an expert lasso.

"Come on now, let's get ya tuh the cellar!" Applejack shouted.

Applejack soon caught up to Snails, who was still unaware of his friend's brush with death.

“WHAT THE HAY, SNAILS!?” Snips angrily asked. “WERE YOU AND SAKURA JUST GOING TO LET ME DIE!?”

“What are you talkin' about, eh?" Snails asked. "I thought you were right behind me, eh."

“I FELL OVER, AND YOU AND SAKURA KEPT…” Snips noticed their neighponies friend was missing mid-sentence. “Wait, where is Sakura?”

"I thought she was with you," Snails replied.

"Don' worry about that right now," Applejack said. "Once Ah get ya both tuh the cellar, Ah’ll go find yer friend.”

Golden Oak Library

“TWILIGHT!” Jack shouted as he franticly banged on the door.

The door swung open, and a furious Shining Armor stood at the threshold. “What the buck are you shouting about!” he glared. “Twily is resting. That fight with the hydra tore open a tendon.”

“Hydra… not dead… Sweet Apple Acres… Where’s Spike?” Jack panted.

Recognizing the severity of the situation, Shining Armor acted quickly. "Spike!" he called.

“What is it?!” Spike asked as he rushed down the stairs.

"I need you to take a letter," Shining Armor answered.

"Ok," Spike said, pulling a quill and parchment from a basket by the stairs.

“Hydra attacking Sweet Apple Acres. Need Reinforcements.” Shining Armor dictated.

Featherweight’s House

Oni-Hime didn’t have any direct way to show Blutknochen the fight. However, she remembered Featherweight saying his parents had bought him a new camera. After slipping away from Snips and Snails, she went directly to Featherweight's house to make use of this.

"My parents spent 2000 bits on this camera," Featherweight bragged. "It's the latest model."

“Do you know how to use it?” Sakura asked.

“Of course,” Featherweight nodded.

“Subarashī! Come with me and bring the camera!" Sakura exclaimed, beckoning for Featherweight to follow as she left.

Town Square

Upon hearing the news, Mayor Mare immediately called an emergency assembly outside the town hall. One of the benefits of being the mayor was the power to make such meetings mandatory for all residents. As such, the entire town was gathered within fifteen minutes.

Seeing the crowd of about nine hundred gathered the square, Mayor Mare nervously turned to Shining Armor, who was standing to her right, and then back to the crowd. "Attention, everypony," she calmly said into the microphone. "Captain Shining Armor has informed me that a hydra has been spotted at Sweet Apple Acres."

The crowd let out a collective gasp, and the ponies began murmuring uncertainly to themselves.

"There is a possibility it may pose a danger to Ponyville," Mayor Mare said. "As such, I am ordering you, in a calm and orderly fashion, return to your homes and shelter in your basements until we are sure the danger has passed."

Unfortunately, there was never any chance of the crowd listening, and within half a minute, the crowd had turned into a panicked stampede. The hydra hadn’t even reached the town proper, and there were already dozens of injuries from ponies trampling each other.

“Everypony, calm down!” Shining Armor called.

Sweet Apple Acres

Once Snips and Snails were safely in the cellar with her family, Applejack rushed out to search for Sakura Blossom. The hydra noticed her leaving, and she spent half an hour avoiding its heads as she searched.

To her surprise, after a while, the hydra stopped chasing her. Turning back to see what was happening, her heart sank at what she saw. Its heads now gazed hungrily in the direction of town. With tremendous speed, it lurched forward towards its abundant prey.

Town Square

As Shining Armor continued helplessly attempting to calm the residents down, Rainbow Dash flew in from the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Bad news!” she shouted. “It’s coming this way!”

“Gather everypony capable of fighting and intercept it!” Shining Armor ordered.

South Residential District

The hydra trampled its way through Ponyville's southern residential district, reducing houses to rubble under its feet. Luckily no one had been eaten so far, but it didn’t appear this would last much longer. Scootaloo and her aunts had been among the few to heed the Mayor's advice but found themselves trapped behind a chunk of house wreckage before they could reach their basement. One of the hydra's heads spotted them and rushed in for a kill, only to be stopped by a massive blast of confetti.

“Come on!” Pinkie Pie shouted from where she had her party cannon perched on the wreckage.

Scootaloo and her aunts made a break for it as the hydra sneezed furiously from the confetti lodged in its nose. However, their path was blocked again when another head spat a line of acid in their path. Having trapped its prey, the head lunged only to be blinded by a white flash of magic.

"Leave them alone, you big brute!" Rarity shouted.

While the head was distracted, Fluttershy landed in front of Scootaloo and her aunts. “Come on, while it's distracted."

"I can't get past the acid!" Holiday said. "Don't worry about me! Just get Scootaloo out of here!"

“But what about you?”

"I already said not to worry about me!" Holiday snapped. “Her life is more important!”

Reluctantly Fluttershy grabbed Scootaloo and flew off.

Turning to Loftey, Holiday said, "I may not be able to fly out of here, but there's no need for you to die with me."

"I've been with you more than half my life, darling. I'm more than content to end it with you," Loftey replied.

"You need to go!" Holiday shouted. "Somepony needs to look after Scootaloo!"

Loftey opened her mouth to argue but realized her wife was right. With a nod, she took to the sky and followed Fluttershy.

Another one of the heads noticed Loftey's take-off and moved to grab her before being kicked in the face by an angry Rainbow Dash.

“Hurry up and get her out of here!” the Rainbow Dash shouted.

As Loftey flew off, another head lunged at Holiday but smashed into a magenta barrier. Holiday screamed at the sight of its knife-like teeth. The barrier flickered a bit and then vanished as Shining Armor teleported next to her.

“Grab on!” Shining Armor instructed.

Holiday did as she was told, and just as the hydra was making another lunge, Shining Armor teleported them out of the way, leaving the head with a mouthful of dirt.

As the battle continued, Applejack arrived just in time to see two heads get tangled in a knot chasing Rainbow Dash.

“How are we supposed tuh beat this thing?!” Applejack asked as Rainbow Dash landed beside her.

“We’re not!” Rainbow Dash shouted. “Shining Armor said to hold it off until Princess Celestia can send reinforcements!”

Golden Oak Library

Shining Armor had ordered Jack to stay put. Jack had objected, of course, but Shining Armor would have none of it. As such, he was spending his time sorting human books with Spike. Well, to be accurate, Spike sorted, and Jack loudly tapped his fingers on the table.

"This is bullshit," Jack muttered under his breath.

"You really want to be out there, don't you?" Spike asked.

“Yeah, but Captain Shining Armor told me to stay here,” Jack grumbled.

"Not much you can do about that," Spike said. "You want to read some of these comics with me? Twilight had them brought in from a library in the human world."

“Really?” Jack asked, his interest piqued. “What do you have?”

Spike laid out several different comics on the table. There were issues of Superman, Spider-man, Batman, and X-men, but what caught Jack's eyes was a manga.

Fairy Tail 1

This was a work he was familiar with. For all its story flaws, Fairy Tail was one of the first anime he had watched. The main character Natsu Dragneel was your typical shonen protagonist, cocky, eats like a human garbage disposal, powers amplified by the strength of his friendship. Still, Jack couldn’t help wondering what he’d do in this situation.

“Jack?” Spike asked.

“What?”

“You’ve been staring at that comic for three minutes," Spike pointed out. "Are you gonna read it or…"

"I'm gonna go help!" Jack declared, hopping from his seat.

“But Shining Armor said to stay here!” Spike protested, dropping the Spider-Man comic he was reading.

“I know, but I can’t just let my friends finish the job I started!" Jack shouted as he rushed outside.

South Residential District

Sakura Blossom and Featherweight hid in an abandoned house facing where Shining Armor and the Elements of Harmony were fighting the hydra. It had been at least ten years since the building had been inhabited, and rusty nails stuck out from all sides.

“Are you sure this is safe?” Featherweight asked, sweating nervously and flinching at every creek of the floorboards.

"So long as we stay out of sight, we'll be fine," Sakura reassured. "Think of how much these pictures will be worth."

North Residential District

So, you're gonna disobey orders because of a mediocre shonen protagonist?” Emerald Jack asked Jack as he ran through town.

That a problem?” Jack asked.

No, I’m just a little put off that a fictional character took my job,” Emerald Jack chuckled. "You have trash taste in anime, by the way."

You’ll get over it," Jack chuckled. "And I'm well aware that my tastes are trash."

South Residential District

“We can’t hold this thing off fer much longer!” Applejack shouted, narrowly dodging a stream of acid.

“Fall Back!” Shining Armor ordered.

"What do we do now, sir!?" Rainbow Dash asked as they fled toward the town square.

“I asked the mayor to put together a volunteer force of unicorns and pegasi!" Shining Armor answered. "There should be a line of defense in the town square we can use to hold it off until reinforcements arrive!"

Town Square

Vinyl Scratch stood alongside twenty other unicorns in a trench that had been hastily dug by some of the town's Earth Ponies. Above her, the town's weather ponies were carefully moving storm clouds into defensive positions above the line of unicorns. The Southern residential district had been fully evacuated. Everyone who wasn’t in the hastily formed militia had been evacuated to the northern district.

"I'm just a DJ," Vinyl quietly lamented. "Why do I have to do this?"

Ponyville was a mostly earth pony town, so there, unfortunately, weren’t that many unicorns or pegasi to volunteer for Shining Armor’s plan. Vinyl knew this, of course. That's why she'd volunteered. Still, that knowledge did nothing to subdue the anxious pounding in her chest.

She heard a thunderous crash, then another, three, four, five... It was getting closer. Timidly peaking over the trench, Vinyl spotted it. The hydra was storming down the street in pursuit of Shining Armor and the Mane Six. The sound of enraged serpentine hissing grew louder with every yard it moved closer.

“Now!” Shining Armor shouted as he and the Mane Six approached the trench.

On Shining Armor's command, the unicorns in the trench simultaneously let out blasts from their horns as the pegasi unleashed a barrage of lightning from their clouds. As the hydra came under fire, Shining Armor and the Mane Six safely ducked into the trench. The hydra was caught off guard by this level of resistance, having expected an easy path to its prey. However, the ponies' desperate defense was only a minor inconvenience in the end, and it slowly advanced in spite of their efforts.

Jack arrived at the scene to see the line of unicorns and pegasi launching their volley at the hydra. It was like in a '90s Godzilla film when the Japanese try to stop Godzilla with maser tanks with similar results. As the unicorns began to run out of energy and the pegasi out of lightning bolts, all sixteen of the hydra's heads let out streams of acid at the nearly helpless ponies. Acting fast, Shining Armor cast one of his signature barriers around the worn-out militia.

"Well, now's as good a time as any," Jack said to himself as his hands were enveloped by an emerald glow. As Jack got within range, he let out his usual pointless blitz. Although his magic was an upgrade from the Glock, he still wasn’t much use outside of Chaos Mode.

Careful, you entered Chaos Mode yesterday, ," Emerald Jack cautioned. “It won't last as long today. You'll have two and a half minutes, tops!

Nearby

When the hydra advanced further into the town, Sakura dragged Featherweight in pursuit.

“Haven’t we gotten enough pictures!?” Featherweight cried in abject terror. “This thing could kill us!”

"Dame da!" Sakura shouted angrily. "If you want to make lots of bits out of this, we need to get as many as possible!" She soon spotted Jack pointlessly casting beams of magic at the hydra. "Get some shots of Jack-sama!" she ordered Featherweight.

Jack was in luck. Hydra acid seemed to work similarly to snake venom. The monster only had so much acid available before it had to produce more, and it would appear that limit had been reached. Hopefully, it would be a good while before he had to worry about the acid.

“WHAT THE HAY ARE YOU DOING HERE, PRIVATE?!!” Shining Armor shouted. “I ORDERED YOU TO STAY AT THE LIBRARY!”

“I know!” Jack replied. “But I couldn’t just let you guys finish my fight for me!”

“I SHOULD HAVE YOU COURT-MARTIALLED!” Shining Armor barked.

“But you won’t!” Jack retorted, Narrowly dodging a lunge from one of the heads, which smashed into a nearby house, reducing it to splinters. Another head attempted to snap at Jack while he was distracted, but Shining Armor stopped it with a barrier in the nick of time.

“Alright!” Shining Armor shouted. “It shouldn't be much longer before reinforcements arrive! Rarity and Fluttershy, I want you to lead anypony who can longer fight to safety! Everypony else, follow my lead!” he shouted before galloping out of the trench.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack, along with a few pegasi and unicorns who had recovered their energy, followed Shining Armor's lead. Simultaneously, Pinkie Pie pulled out a party cannon and stood by in the trench while Fluttershy and Rarity lead the rest of the militia to safety.

The fight drew on for a few minutes as Pinkie shot volleys from her canon, Applejack used her lasso to trip the hydra up, Rainbow Dash used her speed to keep its heads distracted, Shining armor put up barriers to prevent his comrades from being harmed, Jack fired blasts of magic from his hands. The remaining militia threw whatever they could at the towering beast.

“Why ain’t you doin' that glowy thing with yer eyes?" Applejack asked Jack as they dodged a powerful bite.

“I can’t do it unless I think me and someone I care about is about to die!” Jack answered.

"Well then, let's fix that!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, scooping Jack's childlike body up with ease. With her living payload in tow, she soared like a missile toward one of the hydra's open jaws.

"Dash!" Jack let out a startled shout as they got closer. "Come on, pull up, Dash!" he shouted again as they neared the rows of saw-like teeth. "PULL UP!"

Jack’s Mind

"Your friend is fucking insane!" Emerald Jack screamed in rage. "She could have gotten herself, and us killed!"

"You won't hear any arguments from me on that," Jack grumbled. "Same plan as last time?" he asked with a sigh.

"No," Emerald Jack answered. "The plan worked last time because of all the trees at Froggy Bottom Bog. Now that we’re in the middle of town, the only way to get the wood we'd need is to bust up houses. I doubt you’d want that. Even if we had the wood, how would you restrain it? Twilight and Applejack could barely hold it down with eight heads. Now it has sixteen. On top of all that, I'd say we have about three or four minutes before you run out of energy."

“Then what do you propose we do?” Jack asked.

“Hold out for as long as we can and hope whatever reinforcements Celestia sends arrive in time to save us?” Emerald Jack shrugged.

"We're totally boned," Jack sighed, burying his face in his hands.

Town Square

Jack stood inside the hydra's mouth, the strength granted by his magic, allowing him to hold the jaw open. “DASH, YOU FUCKING MORON!” he shouted in rage.

Looking around for anything useful in his escape. His eyes finally set on a dangling piece of flesh several feet behind him. "A uvula!" he realized. This gave him an idea. He removed his left hand from the roof of the mouth. There was a lurch, and he could feel the hydra slowly forcing its mouth shut. He'd need to act quickly. Charging his free hand, he launched an emerald bolt at the flap of flesh, making impact just as the mouth slammed shut around him.

Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash, and Apple Jack hastily retreated to where Pinkie Pie had set up her cannon.

"What happened to Private Jager?" Shining Armor asked Rainbow Dash.

"He's over there!" Rainbow Dash answered, pointing to one of the hydra's heads that was strangely still.

"There's nopony there!" Shining Armor shouted.

The head they were looking at lurched forward, gagged as if it were choking.

"Look's like it ate somethin' that disagreed with it," Applejack noted.

"INCOMING!" Pinkie screamed as the head launched a blob of green goo at them.

Ducking into the trench, the four ponies narrowly avoided the rain of green slime.

"That was close!" Pinkie gasped as she and the others appeared over the wall of the trench.

To her's and the others' surprise, none of the rubble around where they had been standing was dissolved. Instead, the ground had been blanketed in sticky, foul-smelling slime. In the center of it, all Jack was struggling to his feet.

Seeing that Jack was slipping every time he got upright, Rainbow Dash rushed to his aid. Pulling him into the sky, they returned to the fight.

2 minutes later

“I’m running out of energy!” Jack shouted, unleashing a blast of magic.

“Already?” Rainbow Dash panted. “You… just started…” Rainbow Dash collapsed from exhaustion before she could finish.

“Rainbow!” Applejack shouted as she rushed to her fallen friend’s side.

“I’m out of confetti!” Pinkie reported from the trench.

The hydra shot a stream of acid from one of its mouths, and Jack used what was left of his magic to pull some wooden rubble over to block it. Soon after, his magic faded, and he collapsed. As the hydra prepared another acid blast, Shining Armor set up a magic barrier around his fallen comrades. As the acid bombarded his shield, he could feel his magic fading. He'd overexerted himself. As powerful as he was, he couldn't keep going alone. The stream ended within seconds, but so did Shining's shield.

"So this is where it ends?" Shining Armor thought as the hydra loomed over him. "I'm sorry, Cadance. I never gave you an answer.

The battlefield was overcome with intense light. It was warm, the kind of warm that makes your injuries fade away. Shining Armor knew this warmth and knew what it meant. Reinforcements had arrived.

Celestia hovered over the battlefield, her wings effortlessly holding her in place. She glared at the hydra with the intensity of a solar flare. "I WILL ONLY ASK THIS ONCE, CREATURE!!!!!!" she howled in the royal Canterlot voice. "LEAVE MY LITTLE PONIES ALONE OR FACE YOUR DOOM!!!!!!"

The hydra had used far too much energy in its attack to leave with an empty stomach and responded to Celestia's demands with a firehose of acid.

Celestia teleported out of the way of the stream and reemerged behind the hydra. "I WARNED YOU!!" she shouted.

The bright light that had enveloped the battlefield began channeling into Celestia's horn. With a golden flash, sixteen longswords, ten feet tall and made of hard light, were conjured. All at once, they cut clean through the hydra's necks. As the decapitated beast collapsed, Celestia sent a beam of light into the Sun. A few seconds later, a blinding beam of light shined down on the hydra's body, and it lit up like a Christmas tree.

Landing next to the collapsed fighters, Celestia offered Shining Armor a hoof.

"You never fail to amaze me, princess," Shining Armor said as Celestia helped him to his hooves. "I'm not worthy."

"Don't talk like that, Shining Armor," Celestia said. "Your quick thinking has saved hundreds of lives. If you hadn't been here to organize a militia, Ponyville would have been defenseless."

5 Hours Later

When it was clear the town had been saved, Mayor Mare called another mandatory assembly in the Square. Miraculously the only casualties were a few broken legs. Those who risked their lives against the hydra were presented with medals while Snips, Snails, and Sakura were made to explain their actions before the town.

"When I was at Froggy Bottom Bog yesterday, I dropped something important to me," Sakura explained. "I asked Snips and Snails to help me find it, but unfortunately, the hydra found us before we could get it," she bowed her head. "Moushiwake gozaimasen deshita.”

Most of the town was convinced by Sakura's apology; however, one filly was uncertain.

Why did she ask Snips and Snails about the ursa minor?” Sweetie Belle wondered.

Author's Note:

This was by far the longest action scene I've written. How'd I do? I'll admit I rushed the ending a bit, but I'll edit in a better one later. I've got some things going on in my family right now that may interfere with my writing (see blogs for details.)
Next Time: Jack and the Mane Six accompany Rainbow Dash to a flight competition in Cloudsdale.

PreviousChapters Next