• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Stare Master (Last Edited: 9/12/2022)

August 24, 2020

Outside Fluttershy's Cottage

After learning to control his magic outside of Chaos mode, Jack had been tasked with developing his own spells. In order to keep up with his school schedule, he was sent home the day before. Eager to make use of his abilities, he had decided to wake up early to get some practice in before class.

He focused his energy on a clump of leaves from a nearby maple. Quickly, but tenderly he plucked them from the branches and launched them at the trunk with the force of a hailstorm. "Success!" he thought. The area of impact had been completely stripped of bark, as he had intended.

"Um… Jack?" Fluttershy called from behind him.

"Yes, mother?"

"It's great that you're improving with your magic and all, but um… could you maybe try and avoid tearing up my trees?" Fluttershy requested, meekly pointing to a nest of angry sparrows. "You're disturbing the animals."

"Sorry," Jack apologized with a bow.

"It's alright," Fluttershy said with a smile. "But I think it might be about time to get ready for school."

Pulling out his phone and checking the time, Jack said, "yeah, you're probably right."

As the two went inside for breakfast, Jack picked up a newspaper in front of the door. "That's strange," he said as he sat down.

"What is?" Fluttershy asked as she brought a plate of pancakes to the table.

"Apparently, one of the small towns near the southern border burned down," Jack explained. "There was nothing left of it but ash. No buildings, no survivors, nothing."

"That's horrible!" Fluttershy gasped.

"Princess Celestia has ordered a full investigation, but no further information is available," Jack read from the article.

Ponyville School

"Good morning, everypony," Cheerilee greeted the class. "Seeing as our History test had to be postponed last week due to the reconstruction of the town and how we are on a tight schedule as it is, I've decided to cancel the test and give you all 100s."

The classroom erupted into cheers from the foals. Jack, on the other hand, sat silently at his desk. He'd kind of been looking forward to the test.

"Quiet down everypony," Cheerilee chuckled. "We still have work to do."

"Awww," the class groaned.

Cheerilee spent the rest of class lecturing on the basics of chemistry. When the bell finally rang, even Jack was glad to be free. It's not that he had a hard time understanding the subject matter, but he had absolutely no interest in the subject. To him, chemistry was interesting when stuff exploded or dissolved; otherwise, meh. He was very much looking forward to hanging out with the Crusaders.

"Hey, guys," he cheerfully called to his friends once they were outside. "What are we going to do today?"

"Rarity said we could spend the night at Carousel Boutique,” said Scootaloo.

“Sounds fun!” Jack exclaimed cheerfully. “I haven’t had a sleepover in forever!”

Sweetie Belle looked down, avoiding eye contact. “About that…”

“What’s wrong?” Jack asked.

“Rarity says I’m not supposed to invite you,” said Sweetie Belle. “She doesn’t think it's proper for a colt to sleep over with fillies.”

“Oh…” Jack muttered, sighing disappointedly. “I guess that makes sense,” he chuckled. “Surely Rarity knows I don’t have any romantic interest in ponies or kids for that matter.”

"Is the pet sad he can't go home with his masters?" Diamond Tiara jeered.

"Shut up, Diamond!" Jack snapped.

"I think you mad it mad," Silver Spoon giggled as they walked outside.

Golden Oak Library

Deciding it best to let the Crusaders enjoy their sleepover without him, Jack decided to see if Spike wanted to hang out.

He knocked on the Library door, and after thirty minutes, it opened to reveal Twilight on the other side. “Hey Jack,” she cheerfully greeted. “What brings you here today?”

“I was just wondering if Spike might want to hang out,” Jack answered.

“Spike left with Shining Armor about an hour ago,” said Twilight. “I’m not sure when they’ll be back.” Her face brightened up. “OOH!” she exclaimed. “I have something I need to show you!”

“What is it?” Jack asked as Twilight dragged him inside.

Twilight eagerly brought him down to her lab and fished through a box until she pulled out Jack’s 3DS. “I managed to convert your portable console to magic energy,” she said, telekinetically passing the device to Jack.

Switching it on, Jack pulled on the stylus and tapped on the icon for the game inserted into the 3DS, Ocarina of Time 3D.

“The three-dimensional feature of this device is fascinating,” said Twilight. “How exactly does it work?”

“Not sure,” Jack answered. “But I know what I’ll be doing tonight.”

Fluttershy’s Cottage: Jack’s Room

Jack looked through his assortment of 3DS games. He had Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask 3D, A Link Between Worlds, Phantom Hour Glass, Spirit Tracks, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, Super Street Fighter 4, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Just as he was about to make his decision, he heard a knock on his door. “Come in,” he called.

The door swung open with a click, and Fluttershy walked in. “I’m going to bring Opal back to Rarity now,” she said. “Need anything while I'm out?”

“No, I’m good,” Jack answered. “Honestly, I’m just glad to be rid of that damn cat,” he thought, rubbing his back where Opal had scratched him earlier. “Angel is a sadist, but that cat is a fucking demon!

Carousel Boutique

Fluttershy timidly rang the doorbell of the boutique.

“Oh, what now?!” Rarity wailed as Fluttershy walked in.

Rarity’s outburst hurt Fluttershy’s feelings. “Oh, sorry. I thought the "open" sign meant you were open, but I must have been mistaken,” she explained, backing up and leaving Opal’s basket on the floor.

“Fluttershy!” Rarity gasped. “Forgive me! I was so wrapped up in my work that I forgot you were bringing Opalescence back from her grooming!”

“No worries, Rarity. I've left her there in the basket,” Fluttershy said as Opal hopped out onto the floor.

“Oh, she looks great!” Rarity complemented as Opal began rubbing herself against Fluttershy’s legs. “I just don't understand how you're able to do it! I can't get near her without getting a swipe from her claws.”

As if to demonstrate Rarity’s point, Opal hissed and swiped at her owner.

“Ahh!” Rarity gasped. “Did you use... the Stare on her?”

“Oh, no! I wouldn't! I couldn't!” Fluttershy denied. “I-I don't really have any control over when that happens. I-It just happens. No, I'm just good with animals. It's my special gift, you know?” she explained as Opal continued rubbing against her legs.

“Well, you should have a picture of Opal as a cutie mark instead of those butterflies,” Rarity joked.

“Ooh, ooh, oh, oh, oh, oh!” Sweetie Bell exclaimed, rushing over to Opal. “Maybe I can be good with animals, too!”

Intent on nipping Sweetie Bell’s dreams in the bud, Opal swiped at the filly’s head, slicing off a clump of her mane. When the deed was done, the cat grinned smugly.

“Or not,” Sweetie Belle said, rushing to the other side of the room as Rarity and Fluttershy giggled.

“I'm sorry I can't invite you to stay and chat, Fluttershy,” Rarity apologized. “I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this order.”

“But you're not eating anything,” Sweetie Bell pointed out confusedly.

Rarity explained that it was a figure of speech before turning back to Fluttershy to discuss an order she was working on involving gold silk. Noting that Rarity was busy, Fluttershy turned to leave when a blur of yellow and orange burst through the doorway.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo had arrived for the sleepover, and Sweetie Bell proudly displayed four capes she had put together with the same emblem and color scheme as the flag they’d planted at Fort Sumter.

“What does that patch on your cape mean?” Fluttershy asked curiously.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders!” they exclaimed. Yay!

“We're on a crusade,” Scootaloo explained. “A mission!”

“Tuh find our cutie marks!” Apple Bloom elaborated.

“Yup,” Sweetie Belle said, lifting her cape. “And look. I lined them with this special gold silk. It took sooo long to make, but I think it adds just the right touch, don't you?”

Rarity squinted at the cape as the Crusaders ooohed. The color seemed familiar. Then it hit her, and her eyes started to twitch. “Sweetie Belle! What have you done?” she exclaimed, rushing to where she had kept the silk. Sure enough, four cape-shaped holes had been cut in her fabric. “That was the last of the gold silk! Oh, now I'll have to make more! Oh, I hope I can make more. I'm gonna have to work all night! Which means... Sorry, girls, I'm afraid the Crusaders’ sleepover is canceled.”

“What?!” Sweetie Bell asked.

“I just won't have any time to watch you if I want to get these robes delivered on time,” Rarity explained.

“But…” Sweetie Belle began to protest.

“No buts this time,” Rarity said. “I'm sorry, Sweetie Belle. It's just the way it has to be.”

“Awwww,” the Crusaders sighed.

“I, uh, I suppose I could take them for the night,” Fluttershy offered.

“I couldn't ask you to do that,” Rarity replied.

“Oh, it's no problem at all,” Fluttershy said confidently.

“Have you met my sister and her friends?” Rarity asked rhetorically. “A problem is all it would be.”

“Did I have a problem with Opal?” Fluttershy asked. “You've seen how well I handle small creatures!”

“I suppose that's true... and I do have a lot of work to do...” Rarity stomped her hoof, “No, absolutely not! You have Jack staying with you, and it wouldn’t be proper to send them to sleepover at a colt’s house!”

“Now, Rarity!” Fluttershy lectured with a glare. “You know perfectly well about Jack’s…” she glanced at the Crusaders. “Secret. It’s not right for you to assume he’d ever do something to any of them. Besides, I don’t think he’s interested in ponies that way to begin with.”

Rarity sighed… “I suppose you’re right, Fluttershy. It’d be wrong of me to assume that of him. Are you sure you can handle them? I assure you they can be quite the handful.”

“These sweet little angels?” asked as the Crusaders smiled with suspicious innocence.

“Well... all right,” Rarity agreed.

Cutie Mark Crusader sleepover at Fluttershy's cottage!” the fillies exclaimed, rushing out the door.“Yay!

As Fluttershy followed the Crusaders Back to her cottage, she bumped into Twilight, who explained that her hind legs were doing much better, and she was on her way to pick up her favorite tea from Zecora.

Fluttershy’s Cottage

SHUT THE FUCK UP, NAVI!” Jack roared at the annoying fairy in his game. He’d been playing Ocarina of Time 3D for about half an hour now and was already fed up with Navi’s annoying advice. He’d just started the battle with Bongo Bongo in the Shadow Temple. As he shot an arrow at one of the boss’s massive disembodied hands, he heard the door open downstairs and the voices of four familiar ponies. “What are they doing here?” he wondered. “I thought they were staying over at Rarity’s.”

Closing and pocketing the 3DS, he ran down the stairs to find Fluttershy and the Crusaders with overnight bags. “What are the girls doing over here so late?” he asked Fluttershy.

Cutie Mark Crusaders sleepover with Jack!” the girls shouted. “Yay!

“But I thought Rarity didn’t want you sleeping over with me,” Jack pointed out. “What changed.”

“Rarity had some extra work to do and couldn’t look after them,” Fluttershy explained. “She didn’t want them coming over at first, but I reminded her that there’s no risk of you doing any…” she paused, blushing slightly. “Um, well, you know, because of your secret.”

“Awesome!” Jack said. “But where will they be sleeping?”

“Um… your room?” Fluttershy said as if it were a question.

“Annnnd, where will I sleep?” Jack asked.

“The couch?” Fluttershy said, again as if it were a question.

Jack looked to the couch where Angel was grinning at him with malicious intent. He looked back to Fluttershy, who was giving him puppy dog eyes, then back to Angel, back to Fluttershy. “Oh, Alright,” he sighed.

“Thank you, Jack,” Fluttershy smiled. “Ok, girls, uh, what should we do?”

“I'm gonna get my mark first!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Girls?” Fluttershy asked.

“Nuh-uh!” said Sweetie Belle.

“Should we…” Fluttershy started.

“Ah am!” said Apple Bloom.

“Girls, ok, now settle…” Fluttershy began.

“I'm staying up all night!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“HEY, GUYS!” Jack shouted, pulling out his 3DS. “Check this out!”

The Crusaders stopped what they were doing and began to stare at the black, Zelda-themed gaming device.

“What is it?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Any of you ever play an arcade game?” Jack asked.

The Crusades nodded.

“This is kinda like that, except you can hold it in your hooves, and it’s in 3D,” Jack explained.

“Cool!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Can we try?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Of course!” Jack nodded. When the Crusaders moved towards him, Jack held out his hand. “After you listen to Fluttershy.”

“Thank you,” Fluttershy mouthed to Jack. “Now, girls, I know you’re all looking forward to crusading, but it’s dark out. Don’t you think it’s time to settle down and do something relaxing before bed? Maybe we could have some tea or braid each other's tails or color?”

“Or… we could go adventuring in the Everfree Forest!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Oh, no!” Fluttershy exclaimed. “The Everfree Forest is much too dangerous. It's filled with far too many strange creatures.”

“But you could go with us, and we could catch those creatures,” Said Sweetie Bell. “We could be, umm... creature catchers!”

“Or we could take turns with my game,” Jack said, holding up the 3DS.

This seemed to satisfy the Crusaders, and they spent the next half an hour taking turns with Super Street Fighter 4.

“Thank you, Jack,” Fluttershy said as the fillies scurried up the stairs.

“Hadoken!” Scootaloo shouted from upstairs. The sound of a vase smashing on the floor soon followed.

“Umm… Maybe let them play something less violent next time?...” Fluttershy requested.

“They’re fine, Flutters,” Jack said. “They get up to far more dangerous stunts most days. Honestly, I’m surprised they’ve never gotten seriously hurt.”

“Still, I don’t think you should be encouraging them,” Fluttershy sighed.

“Hey, I kept them out of the forest, didn’t I?” Jack shrugged.

Having no retort, Fluttershy simply flew up the stairs to tuck the Crusaders in.

Jack’s Room

“How are we gonna find our special talent in our sleep?” asked Apple Bloom.

Blowing out the candle, Fluttershy responded, “Maybe you'll have a lovely little dream about your special talent.”

“But we're not even tired!” Scootaloo complained as Fluttershy tucked them in.

“How about I sing you a lullaby?” Fluttershy offered.

“Mm-hmm, yeah!” the Crusaders agreed.

Downstairs

What on earth are they doing up there?” Jack wandered as he and Angel gave each other the stinkeye.

As Jack and Angel continued staring each other down, the Crusaders ran downstairs and burst out the front door.

“The fuck?” Jack questioned.

“Fluttershy, your chickens are on the loose!” Apple Bloom shouted from outside.

“I wonder what could have caused that...” Sweetie Belle said.

“Don't worry, Fluttershy, the Cutie Mark Crusaders will handle this!” Scootaloo exclaimed as Jack and Angel peered out the door to see what was going on.

“Cutie Mark Crusader chicken herders!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed as she and the other Crusaders rushed toward the chicken coup. “Yay!”

“No, I don't think that's a— ah, come back!” Fluttershy pleaded, flying out the upstairs window. “Please!”

“Need help?!!” Jack called after her.

“No, thank you!” Fluttershy called back.

It was pure chaos. All sound beyond panicked clucks had been drowned out, and a blizzard of feathers obscured visibility as the Crusaders chased the mortified hens.

Fluttershy attempted to get the Crusader’s attention over and over again to no avail until finally, “Girls!

The Crusaders and the chickens stopped in their tracks, stunned by Fluttershy’s sternness.

Clicking her tongue Fluttershy managed to line the birds up by the henhouse. “Come on, in you go,” she instructed.

When the chickens did not immediately respond, Fluttershy cast an intimidating stare, and they backed up the ramp as the Crusaders watched in awe.

“There's some good chickens,” Fluttershy praised. Turning her attention back to the Crusaders, she said, “ok, you three. Isn't it about time you got into bed?”

“But…” the Crusaders protested.

“Please?”

Fluttershy’s Living Room

Jack watched as Fluttershy brought the Crusaders inside. “You handled that well,” he called as she escorted them up the stairs.

As Fluttershy tucked the girls in upstairs, Jack put his earbuds in and pulled his blanket over his head.

No sooner had he settled down to enjoy his music did he feel something bump into the couch. Pulling one earbud out, he could hear three familiar voices whispering to each other.

“Careful Sweetie Belle, you’ll wake him up,” said Scootaloo.

“Why don’t we just ask him to come with us?” asked Sweetie Belle.

I should probably tell Fluttershy they’re sneaking out,” Jack thought.

“Rember what happened when we tried tuh get our weldin’ cutie marks?” Apple Bloom asked. “And our bear trainin’ cutie marks and our chemistry cutie marks?”

“Yeah, Jack’s almost as cool as Rainbow Dash, but he can be such a tattletale sometimes,” Scootaloo agreed.

“I am not,” Jack said indignantly. Tossing off his covers, he switched the flashlight on his phone to see the Crusaders staring at him like deer caught in a headlight. “Whatever you're up to, I’m in.”

With that, Jack and the Crusaders rushed into the night, their trek to the forest only slightly delayed by Scootaloo’s cape getting stuck in the fence.

Everfree Forest

The Crusaders had filled Jack in on the missing Chicken, and they quickly began their search.

“Here, chick-chick-chick-chick-chick!” Apple Bloom called as they walked the dark path through the trees. “Brawck, bawk-bawk-bawk, brawck!”

“What are you doing?” Scootaloo asked.

“Callin' for the chicken!” Apple Bloom answered.

“That is not how you call a chicken,” Scootaloo scoffed.

“Oh, and you know how tuh call a chicken?” Apple Bloom asked, rolling her eyes.

“I know that's not the way,” Scootaloo said.

“Then show me,” Apple Bloom huffed.

“I don't have to show you!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“You're just chicken!” Apple Bloom teased.

“Am not!” Scootaloo shouted.

“Oh, wait, now I know how to call a chicken!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “Scootaloo! Scoot-scootalooooo!” she teased, unknowingly waking up a flock of bats in a nearby cave.

Jack snorted at Apple Bloom’s joke.

“That's so funny I forgot to laugh,” Scootaloo said.

“Ok, seriously, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom lives on a farm,” Jack said. “I think she knows how to call a chicken.”

Apple Bloom smirked and blew a raspberry at Scootaloo.

“Why you…” Scootaloo started.

“Come on, guys, we're not gonna find the chicken or our cutie marks by arguing,” Sweetie Belle said as a hand-shaped branch blew past her in the wind.

“Maybe that's our special talent,” Apple Bloom said. “Arguin'!”

“Great, that means you all could have wonderful careers as lawyers, or politicians, or lobbyists,” Jack said. “And that’s just what the world needs,” he added sarcastically.

Before the arguing could continue, Jack and the Crusader’s attention was caught by a flash of pink light coming from the trees to their left.

“What do yah s’pose that is?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Don’t know,” Jack said. “But we probably shouldn’t…”

“Let’s check it out!” Scootaloo shouted, bursting into the trees.

“Wait!!!” Jack called to no avail.

The other two Crusaders bolted after Scootaloo, and Jack begrudgingly followed.

Elsewhere in the Forest

Fluttershy had woken up and discovered the Crusaders’ and Jack’s absence a few minutes after they left and wasted no time tracking them down. Her timid nature was proving to be a problem, though. Having startled herself by stepping on a twig, she was now running aimlessly through the forest. “What was Jack thinking?! He should know better than to let the girls go into the forest!” As she continued running, she spotted a familiar silhouette ahead of her. “Twilight? I-Is that you?” she asked as she got closer. “Oh, Twilight, it is you,” she sighed in relief when she reached her friend. Thank goodness you're here. I need your help. The girls are out here somewhere, and I'm afraid that they're…” When the moon shined down from behind the clouds, Fluttershy let out a gasp. Twilight Sparkle had been turned to stone. “Oh! What's happened to you?” Fluttershy asked, tapping her friend. The statue tipped over, and Fluttershy screamed. “Oh, no! If you've been turned to stone, it must mean… oh! Oh no, the girls!” Fluttershy exclaimed, taking off. “Don't move. I'll be back for you,” she called to Twilight before continuing her search. “Girls! Jack!”

Off the Trail in the Everfree Forest

About a quarter-mile into the woods, Jack and the Crusaders reached a pool where a familiar filly was seemingly talking to her reflection.

“Is that…” Scootaloo started.

“Sakura Blossom!” Sweetie Belle shouted.

The filly looked up from the pool and, for a brief moment, looked as if she were about to kill someone, that is until she noticed Jack. “J-Jack-Sama?” she asked. “What are you doing out here?”

“What are you doing here!?” asked Scootaloo.

“I asked first,” Sakura pointed out.

“One of Fluttershy’s chickens escaped,” Jack explained. “Me and the girls are trying to track it down.”

“At night?” Sakura asked.

“You’re out here too,” Jack pointed out. “Care to explain why?”

Sakura Blossom reached into her bag and pulled out a coin. “This is why. I dropped it at Froggy Bottom Bog.”

“You went all the way to Froggy Bottom Bog at night for a coin?!!” Sweetie Belle asked indignantly. “I don’t believe you. Why would anypony do that!?”

“My Oka-san gave this to me,” Sakura answered. “I asked Snips-chan and Snails-chan to help me find it, but we found the hydra instead.”

“It must be very important to you,” Jack said. “I have a neckless back home that I feel the same way about.”

“I had a flashlight, but I dropped it in the pool,” Sakura lied.

“So that’s why you were talking into the pool,” Jack reasoned. “That’d frustrate me as well.”

“Hai, Jack-Sama,” Sakura nodded.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo seemed satisfied with that explanation, but Sweetie Bell remained suspicious.

“We should probably get back to looking for the chicken,” Jack said. “You want to look with us?”

“Hai, I would like that very much,” Sakura agreed.

They turned to go back to the path when they heard a rustle in a nearby bush.

“What was that?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Maybe it’s the chicken?” offered Scootaloo.

“I’ll go check it out,” Jack said. Creeping toward the bush, Jack called for the chicken. “Here, chic-chic-chicken. It’s time to go home. If you aren’t the missing chicken, please stay in the bush.”

To Jack’s relief, a chicken-like head popped out of the bushes. That relief lasted only a moment, and a chill ran down Jack’s spine as the chicken rose out of the bushes to reveal a serpentine body with dragon-like wings.

“Look away, Jack-sama!” Sakura cried. “That’s a kokatorisudesu!”

“A what?!” Jack asked, inadvertently making eye contact with the creature. Feeling a strange weight in his feet, he tried to look down but could not move his head.

“A cockatrice!” Sakura shouted more clearly.

That’s another name for a basilisk, right?” Jack thought to himself. “Then that must mean my feet are… he gulped. The weight soon made it up to his torso as he desperately looked for a way out.

I need to stop this!” Sakura thought. She knew she couldn’t use her magic, but she had to do something, or Jack would be lost. “I could do that…” she thought to herself. “But that’s why they killed Oka-San.” The stone had reached up to Jack’s neck. “Chikushō!!” she shouted as her front hooves extended into long spikes and her wingspan doubled. Knifelike jaws replaced her flat pony teeth, and two demonic horns sprouted from her head.

“Sakura?!” asked Scootaloo.

“What the hay?!” asked Apple Bloom.

Sakura lunged at the cockatrice, ripping it away from Jack.

Released from the creature's gaze, Jack could see Sakura on the ground, her demonic form slowly being turned to stone by the cockatrice. As the stone receded down Jack’s body and his hands were released, he sprung into action. Using his magic, he plucked a couple dozen leaves from the bush and launched them at the beast.

The leaves left several large gashes in the cockatrices scales breaking its eye contact with Sakura and allowing her to escape.

“Alright, I got it!” Jack exclaimed.

The cockatrice’s gashes rapidly closed, and it let out a shrill cry.

“Aww, what?” Jack asked in disappointment.

“It can only be killed by a rooster’s crow!” explained Sakura, who had returned to normal.

“Then what do we do!?” asked Scootaloo.

“Run!” Sakura yelled.

Jack and the four fillies ran as fast as they could as the cockatrice gave chase.

“What was that back there?!” Sweetie Belle asked Sakura.

“Is now really the time for that?!” asked Sakura.

“I guess not,” Sweetie Belle conceded.

Elsewhere in the Forest

Fluttershy had heard the cry of the cockatrice and rushed towards it as fast as she could. She soon found Jack, Sakura, and the Crusaders running as fast as their legs could carry them. “Girls!” she shouted.

“Fluttershy!” they all cried at once.

“You need to listen to me…” Fluttershy requested as Jack and the girls continued to run aimlessly.

“There’s a cockatrice…” Fluttershy explained.

“We know!” they all responded as the cockatrice burst through the trees.

“Behind me, now!” Fluttershy demanded.

As Jack and the girls complied, Fluttershy jumped in front of the beast. “You!” Fluttershy shouted at the cockatrice, stopping it in its tracks. “Just who do you think you are, going around turning others into stone?”

The cockatrice squawked in confusion before glaring at Fluttershy, beginning the process of turning her to stone starting from her hind legs.

“You should be ashamed of yourself,” Fluttershy lectured. “I have a mind to find your mother and tell her what you've been up to, young man,” she continued.

Strangely this threat seemed to intimidate the cockatrice, and it briefly broke its gaze.

“Now you go over there and turn my friend Twilight back to normal,” Fluttershy said as the stone crept up her torso and sweat flowed down the beast’s neck, “and don't ever let me catch you doing this again!” she scolded as the stone around her crumbled away. “Do you understand me?”

The cockatrice late out a few uncomfortable clucks and ran off into the woods.

“Are you girls all right?” Fluttershy asked. “I was so worried!”

“Yeah, fine!” Scootaloo answered.

“Thanks to that stare of yours,” Sweetie Bell agreed.

“You're like the queen of stares,” Scootaloo said. “You're the…”

Stare Master!” the Crusaders exclaimed at once as Jack tried to sneak away.

“And just where do you think you’re going, young man?” Fluttershy asked sternly.

“Oh, heeeey, mother…” Jack said, chuckling. “I had noticed the girls were missing and just thought I would go and get them. Seeing as everyone is safe, I think I’ll just go home now.”

“What are ya talkin’ about, Jack?” asked Apple Bloom. “You were with us the whole time.”

Jack could see there was no lie he could tell to get out of this. “I can explain…”

“We’ll talk about this later,” Fluttershy interrupted.

“Yes, ma’am,” Jack sighed.

“And what are you doing out so late, Sakura?” Fluttershy asked.

“She dropped something important to her at Froggy Bottom Bog,” Jack said. “If it weren’t for her, we wouldn’t have escaped from the cockatrice.”

“Well, then I’m glad you were there to help,” Fluttershy said thankfully. “But you should have asked Pinkie Pie to help you find it,” she added sternly.

“Gomen'nasai,” Sakura said, bowing her head.

“What... what happened?” asked Twilight, who had only just come to from her depetrafication.

“I’ll explain everything tomorrow morning,” Fluttershy said. “Right now, we need to get out of the forest.”

“So… what was that back there?” Apple Bloom asked Sakura as they made their way back.

“Nani?” asked Sakura.

“That thing you did with your wings and hooves,” Jack explained.

“Sore ka,” Sakura muttered. “Can we talk about this another time?”

Jack and the Crusaders agreed to Sakura’s request, and Twilight took her back to Sugar Cube Corner as soon as they arrived at the cottage.

Sugarcube Corner

The Cakes had been furious at Oni-Hime’s sneaking out. After lecturing her for half an hour, they promptly sent her to her room and grounded her for a week.

Sasainakoto,” she thought, lying in her bed and staring a the ceiling.

As trivial as her grounding may have been, she knew that revealing her true form in front of Jack and the Crusaders could have severe repercussions if any of them told the adults. She had no choice, of course. While Jack’s life was in danger, she and the Crusaders could have easily escaped while he was being petrified. Since his Chaos mode wasn’t an option, and her curse would have had no effect, that only left her demon form. Luckily Jack was far too kind for his own good. She could count on him keeping this to himself, and with any luck, the Crusaders’ infatuations with him would keep their mouths shut too.

What fools these fillies are,” Oni-Hime thought. “Longing for Jack-Sama, completely unaware of his circumstances.

It was rather sad when Oni-Hime thought about it. The mind of a twenty-one year trapped in the body of a grade-schooler. Societal standards made it so nopony Jack’s actual age would show feelings for him while at the same time he’d be uncomfortable having feelings for anypony his apparent age. He might not have any interest in ponies now, but that wouldn’t last long. While some can do without romantic or sexual relationships, she’d have been able to sense it if he was one of them. Eventually, his biological need for a mate would outweigh his aversion to interspecies relationships, and when that happened, she’d be there. Two adults with the bodies of children? If she didn’t know better, she’d have called it destiny.

August 25, 2020

Outside Fluttershy’s Cottage

At Jack’s request, the Crusaders had agreed to keep Sakura’s transformation to themselves, and they were now playing in Fluttershy’s front yard, making sure to stay within sight of where she was filling Twilight in on the previous night’s affairs.

“And that's when it brought you back from stone,” Fluttershy said.

“This is gonna make quite a letter to the princess,” Twilight said, scribbling on a scroll she was holding up with her magic. “I was wrong about you. You certainly do know how to handle those girls,” Twilight complimented as Fluttershy blushed in embarrassment. “Speaking of the girls, why isn’t Jack out here playing with them? They’re usually inseparable.”

“THAT’S FUCKING DISGUSTING, ANGEL!!!” Jack yelled from inside the cottage.

“Since he chose to act like a child last night, I decided to treat him like one,” Fluttershy said. “He knew better than to let the girls go into the forest, so I’m having him clean up after my pets as punishment.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Twilight giggled. “He sure doesn’t sound happy.”

“Good morning, Fluttershy. Good Morning, Twilight,” Rarity greeted as she arrived to pick up the Crusaders.

“Good morning, Rarity,” Twilight greeted.

“Did you finish all those capes?” Fluttershy asked.

Just delivered them,” Rarity answered with a sigh of relief. “I have to admit, if you hadn't come along, I might not have. Thanks again.”

“Won't you stay for some tea?” Fluttershy asked.

Rarity politely declined, saying she had to clean up her shop. With Fluttershy’s help, she rounded up the Crusaders. Surprised at how easily Fluttershy had gotten the girls to obey, she asked Fluttershy to help her out with Opel before leaving.

“Of course,” Fluttershy agreed. “How about later today?”

Rarity turned her flank to reveal the cat angrily digging its claws into her skin. “How about now?” she requested.

Author's Note:

I feel like the fight scene could use a little work, but otherwise, I'm satisfied with this chapter. For those of you who don't read my blogs, I have a job interview for an assistant park ranger position next Tuesday, I'm finally getting my teeth fixed next Thursday, and I'm graduating from CCU next Friday.
Next Time: As Jack does a few odd jobs around Sweet Apple Acres, he is made aware of Apple Bloom's feelings for him and goes into full panic mode, trying to decide what to do about it.

PreviousChapters Next