• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46: Recap (Last Edited: 3/23/2023)

Author's Note:

It's been a while. We're coming close to the end of this first story so here's the thing all anime fans dread. The recap episode! After many complaints about readability, I've decided to change how the Elements of Chaos speak. I'll get around to editing the new speech patterns in old chapters at some point, but expect what you see in this chapter to be standard from this point forward. Now you may commence with the booing at the recap, but don't get too mad because...
Next Time: Ponyville Celebrates Nightmare Night and Princess Luna struggles to fit in.

October 29, 2020

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

In light of recent events, Princess Celestia had called Shining Armor in for a private meeting. Such meetings weren’t unusual; however, they were typically attended by the entire Royal Court.

“May I ask why I was the only one you invited to this meeting?” Shining Armor asked.

“The other ponies on the Court have joined political parties, but you’ve remained neutral,” Celestia answered. “I believe your neutrality will be of use in this discussion.”

“How so?” Shining Armor asked.

“As you know, the parties have vastly different opinions of Mr. Jager,” Celestia answered. “And I think it’s clear to everypony on the Court that his troubles with Chaos Mode pose a potential threat. I need an unbiased opinion on the matter of keeping him in Ponyville. Or at least as close to unbiased as I can get from somepony in the know.”

“I’ll do my best, Princess,” Shining Armor agreed.

“So much has happened this year,” Celestia sighed. “It’s hard to believe it’s been only five months since Twilight and her friends found the Elements of Harmony and defeated Nightmare Moon.”

“It feels like it’s only been a few weeks,” Shining Armor agreed.

“Luna hadn’t even been back two weeks when the Lowcountry appeared,” Celestia continued. “And with it came Mr. Jager.”

“To my knowledge, Private Jager stated he had been on his way home from a study abroad when he drove his self-propelled vehicle through a strange light,” Shining Armor added. “He then found his body had regressed to that of a seven-year-old and everypony around him had vanished. He attempted to contact his friends and family with his long-ranged communication device and even attempted to contact the local guards to no result. I feel kinda bad for the guy now that I think about it. He must’ve thought the world was ending.”

“I know what it’s like to be separated from family,” Celestia said. “No doubt it hurts him even now. I sent Twilight and her friends to investigate the Lowcountry,” Celestia continued. “And it was Fluttershy who first encountered Jack.”

“Twily’s report indicates Jager responded to initial contact with confusion,” Shining Armor said. “He seemingly couldn’t believe a pony was talking to him. Applejack’s report indicates that in his world ponies are little more than domestic livestock. So, his initial shock is understandable.”

“After Jack fled from her, Fluttershy summoned Twilight and the others,” Celestia continued.

“It’s my understanding that there was a skirmish between Jager and Rainbow Dash,” Shining Armor said. “She managed to subdue him, but not before he disabled her wings with a lucky stab.”

“Yes,” Celestia agreed. “No doubt that altercation was the reason Rainbow Dash took so long to trust Jack. As well as Jack’s initial bitterness toward his situation. I remember when Twilight first brought him to me. Apart from his outrage at being put under Fluttershy’s care, he didn’t seem all that interested in what anypony had to say until I mentioned he wasn’t the first human I’d met.”

“After that, you sent him back to Ponyville with Twilight and her friends,” Shining Armor said. “Pinkie Pie organized a party at the library. If only the Royal Guard could assemble a unit as quickly as she gathers an entire town,” he said with a chuckle. “I believe he was able to both register as a Ponyville resident and sign up for classes at the local school during that party.”

“When he went to sleep that night, Luna discovered he was plagued with nightmares,” Celestia continued. “Eager to continue her duties as night Princess she set out to aid Jack in overcoming his bad dreams.”

“Not normal nightmares either from what I heard,” Shining Armor noted. “His brother hated his guts and refused to socialize, his first crush despised him thanks to a stupid mistake even going so far as to convince his entire class to hate him, one friend who lost everything to a cult, and another lost to a terminal illness. Feelings of guilt, like if one could have only done something different things would be better for everypony. These are hard enough for a battle-hardened soldier to deal with.”

“On top of the nightmares he’d also been missing his medication for a few days,” Celestia continued. “The stress from Filthy Rich’s daughter bullying young Apple Bloom on Jack’s first day of class caused him to lash out verbally.”

“Fortunately, that medication wasn’t too hard to find,” Shining Armor continued. “Twily lent out her balloon so Fluttershy and Jack could pick up a month’s supply from his vehicle in the Lowcountry.”

“Fluttershy quickly began to see young Jack as a son, despite him being in many ways more mature than her,” Celestia continued. “Fully medicated he was easily able to resolve the dispute over who Twilight would take with her to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“He’s really intelligent too,” Shining Armor continued. “Twily told me Jager was almost like a professor the way he answered her questions about human history and society. Their trip to the Lowcountry brought us so many amazing pieces of technology. Without Jack to explain exactly what those objects do I doubt we’d be making much progress converting them to magic power. The gun Jack brought back with him will totally reinvent the way the E.U.P is structured.”

Celestia frowned at the thought of Equestria adopting human weapons, but she knew eventually other nations would get wind of the technology. Continuing the conversation she said, “Jack became quite popular with his classmates when he returned, none more so than with young Apple Bloom. The two of them became fast friends, although I believe the young filly wants more out of the relationship.”

“From what I’ve seen Jager’s caught the eye of several fillies in his class,” Shining armor added. “It isn’t an ideal situation. From what Twily’s said, he’s almost oblivious to flirting and too kindhearted to preemptively reject them. If we didn’t need to maintain his cover, he could explain his situation better.”

“Speaking of the other fillies,” Celestia continued. “Rainbow Dash was still bitter about her encounter with Jack and suspected he had a sinister motive for being in Equestria. It probably came as shock to her when Fluttershy requested she look after him as she visited her family. In a fortunate turn of events, it was Jack’s befriending of young Scootaloo while under her watch that changed her mind.”

“I’ve noticed Rainbow Dash can be quite stubborn,” Shining Armor said.

“Which is why she chose to avoid Jack rather than simply apologizing,” Celestia said. “Applejack and Rainbow Dash had a falling out soon after thanks to an altercation involving Jack and Apple Bloom. That’s likely why she so readily turned to her old friend Gilda.”

“If I recall correctly, it was during a confrontation with Gilda that Jager first felt his magic activate,” Shining Armor commented. “Albeit only briefly.”

“The next time was far more dramatic,” Celestia continued.

“Reports indicate Jager had agreed to do some work at Sweet Apple Acres,” Shining Armor said. “Apple Bloom found herself cornered by a rogue timberwolf. Jack intervened to rescue her, and his magic activated as the wolf was about to deliver him a killing blow.”

“Indeed, but it only lasted long enough to save Jack from one bite,” Celestia said. “If Rainbow Dash hadn’t shown up in time to save him, I doubt he would have made it. I think that’s what gave her the courage to apologize to both him and Applejack.”

“Twily told me she was the first pony Jager came to when he realized he had used magic,” Shining Armor said.

“Yes, that was on the same day that show mare, Trixie Lulamoon arrived in Ponyville,” Celestia said. “Jack sought out training, but Twilight found herself unnerved by her friends’ reactions to Trixie’s magic show.”

“And it was Trixie’s show that inspired two young colts to wander into the Everfree and bring back an Ursa Minor for the ‘Great’ and ‘Powerful’ Trixie to fight,” Shining Armor said somewhat mockingly.

“Snips and Snails are their names,” Celestia said. “Jack and Scootaloo followed the two into the forest and were with them when they brought the ursa into town. Miss Lulamoon fled at the sight of it, but Jack stood and fought, saving Scootaloo’s life. In turn, Scootaloo rescued him and brought him back to Fluttershy’s once his magic ran out.”

“It’s lucky Twily showed up in time to stop the Ursa from destroying Ponyville,” Shining Armor said. “Jager’s magic may be powerful, but without proper training, there wasn’t much he could have done.”

“And he was badly injured as a result,” Celestia added. “I somewhat understand Fluttershy’s reaction. When Scootaloo brought him home to her, his magic had yet to accelerate his healing. Still, to use her stare on him over slight disobedience was unnecessary.”

“That was the day before the dragon incident if I’m not mistaken,” Shining Armor said.

“Yes, Razer was once a close friend of mine,” Celestia said. “It’s unfortunate he chose Equestria for his nap. I sent Twilight and her friends to confront him, but Fluttershy wasn’t too keen on the idea.”

“According to Twily, she left Spike behind to watch Fluttershy’s animals,” Shining armor said. “While Fluttershy had claimed Jager was sleeping in the truth was she’d locked him in his room which he only escaped after one of Fluttershy’s pets had let him out. This seems to have been the final straw for Jager as he immediately set out to confront Fluttershy despite Spike warning him about Razer.”

“Jack arrived just as the confrontation was starting to heat up,” Celestia continued. “After firing his gun at Razer, he entered Chaos Mode and caught him off guard. Albeit only briefly as Razer was already more than aware of what humans were capable of thanks to his experience with Virginia Dare.”

“It was seeing Jager in trouble that gave Fluttershy the courage to confront Razer with her stare, correct?” Shining Armor asked.

Celestia nodded.

“She has an awesome gift,” Shining Armor said. “Given the right motivation intimidating a dragon even of Razer’s caliber was no problem for her.”

“Yes, in the time Jack had been under her charge, she’d come to see him as a son,” Celestia said. “Upon their return, she demanded Jack relinquish his weapons to keep him safe.”

“I can’t imagine that went well,” Shining Armor said.

“It most certainly did not,” Celestia agreed. “All that time being treated like a foal was too much for Jack and he snapped. After being told she wasn’t his mother Fluttershy ran off crying. With the help of the other elements, Jack found her at the park and the two came to an agreement. Fluttershy would stop treating him as if he were a foal and he would act like she was his mother, at least in public.”

“That would explain why Jager calls Fluttershy mother,” Shining Armor said. “It would seem they’ve both made good on their agreement so far.”

“Yes, although to maintain Jack’s cover, they both agreed it would be best to leave him in Twilight’s care when Fluttershy left to visit her family in Cloudsdale,” Celestia said. “Convenient timing all things considered. Twilight had just finished converting Jack’s phone to magic, and Spike had just received his summon to the Royal Court. Twilight took this as a perfect opportunity to try and figure out how Jack’s magic worked.”

“I wouldn’t expect any less from Twily,” Shining Armor beamed. “She figured out the link between Jager’s magic and fear for his life with no effort. Though, you already knew everything in that regard.”

“Well, it’s been a few centuries, but yes I had some idea,” Celestia answered. “That was part of the reason I made the Court aware and arranged for Spike to testify on his character.”

“I can understand that,” Shining Armor said. “But why Spike?”

“Considering Jack’s secret my options were limited,” Celestia explained. “The Court would have seen any of the elements as biased, so Spike was the logical choice.”

“I see,” Shining Armor said. “The little guy was knowledgeable enough to answer the questions at least.”

“Yes, although naturally there are things Spike hasn’t picked up on yet,” Celestia said. “For instance, Jack’s dreams of his past had been haunting him the entire time he’d been in Equestria. Having offended Luna, he was left to fend for himself. So, when Twilight and her friends found him whimpering in his sleep, they naturally sought to help him. Pinkie Pie’s therapy session was the first breakthrough in Jack’s long journey to self-acceptance. A journey that has, unfortunately, had many many setbacks.”

“Jager’s gone through more hardship than most of our soldiers,” Shining Armor sighed. “Yet he sticks to his beliefs no matter what,” he muttered to himself.

“It wasn’t long before Jack witnessed Ponyville’s reaction to Zecora,” Celestia said with a grimace. “Had I known how my little ponies were treating her I would have intervened.”

“It seems like a natural reaction to be suspicious of outsiders,” Shining Armor said. “I understand this Zecora has proven herself an ally, but for ponies who’d never seen a zebra…”

“That doesn’t excuse it, Shining,” Celestia interrupted. “I should have acknowledged this bigotry long ago. Jack saw right through this, as did Twilight and young Apple Bloom. Even when Zecora was accused of casting a curse on the Elements Jack and Apple Bloom sought to exonerate her and in return, she attempted to warn him about the danger he faced.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Vous summoned moi, Blutknochen?” Malade asked as she entered the cavern her leader had chosen for an office.

“Indeed Ich have, Malade,” Blutknochen answered. “Does it trouble you that you haven’t had as many roles as your cohorts?”

“Non,” Malde answered firmly. “Je suis grateful, to be honest. More time to nurture mes pets.”

“Gut,” Blutknochen said with a cold smile. “Ich would like to discuss the mission with you. It’s been several months since we discovered mein last experiment was eine success.”

“Oui,” Malade agreed. “As les éléments du chaos we exist to make your goals un reality. Moi, les Element of Betrayal, Løgner, Dishonesty, Damned, Wrath, Morte, Greed, and Oni-Hime, Lust, we all exist to serve vous, les Element of Curses.”

“Und you have served me well for the most part,” Blutchnochen confirmed. “Und you each will play your part.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“After a month Jack was running out of his medication and everypony around him could see the effects,” Celestia said. “It was during this time I had planned a visit to Ponyville that was cut short due to an infestation in Fillydelphia.”

“Based on reports, Ponyville also had quite the infestation,” Shining armor said. “Parasprites I believe. Jager was involved in the town’s defense, but ultimately it was Pinkie Pie who lured the swarm out of town with her musical instruments.”

“Yes, I arrived as she was leading them out,” Celestia said. “Before departing for Fillydelphia I agreed to have a E.U.P unit sent to the Lowcountry to retrieve more of Jack’s medication and requested he attend the Royal Court’s discussion of him.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Ich sent Oni-Hime to Ponyville to observe und if possible, capture der Mensch,” Blutknochen said.

“Je suis still unsure why vous chose la pute,” Malade snorted. “Damned et moi seldom agree on anything, but seducing stallions est all she’s bonne for, et with her petite body she can’t even do that anymore.”

“She remains useful for the time being,” Blutknochen said coldly. “Her devotion to me as her Vater makes her loyal to eine fault. Und her filly-like appearance allows her to stay close to der Mensch. Once Herr Jager was found she only needed to get close to him. Und she acquired fünf pawns to aid her.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Eventually it came time for the Royal Court to decide what to do with Jack,” Celestia said. “Several proposals had been made to that extent. Cadence wanted him to be given all the rights of regular citizenship, Filthy Rich, using the incident with his daughter as an excuse, demanded his banishment, and Flash Sentry proposed we enlist him in the E.U.P. to exploit his magic. In the end, Flash Sentry won out.”

“If I’m not mistaken you and Three Arrows had a discussion with Jager after the meeting,” Shining Armor stated. “Is it safe to assume this prompted the sudden call for change in our government?”

“No, I’d been planning this with Three Arrows for a while,” Celestia admitted. “Jack simply gave us an outline to work with. Does this trouble you?”

In truth, Shining Armor was quite troubled by the way things had changed, but he was unwilling to express this to the princess. “No ma’am, I trust your judgment.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Ich ordered Oni-Hime to infiltrate the school, und she complied with enthusiasm,” Blutknochen said. “Once she started class, she sent her pawns to isolate Herr Jager from his friend.”

“Oui, but once she had him isolated, she failed to seduce l'humain,” Malade pointed out. “He was utterly repulsed at the way she behaved.”

“She does seem to be losing her edge,” Blutknochen agreed.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“When Diamond Tiara got her cutie mark, young Apple Bloom became noticeably depressed,” Celestia said. “Jack did his best to comfort her but found himself unable to help.”

“Waiting for one’s cutie mark is a stressful time in any foal’s life,” Shining Armor agreed. “It’s unsurprising Jager couldn’t help.”

“Indeed,” Celestia agreed. “Fortunately, she doesn’t have to go it alone. Young Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both have blank flanks and with Jack’s help those fillies formed the Cutie Mark Crusaders in a collective effort to find their special talents.”

“From my experience in Ponyville, I can say those four definitely have a talent for finding trouble,” Shining Armor chuckled.

“They certainly do,” Celestia giggled. “After their class on Equestria’s founding, they got it in their minds to start their own country. With Twilight’s help, they set out for the Lowcountry city of Charleston.” Celestia frowned, “Unfortunately the trip seems to have triggered a relapse in Jack’s self-loathing and he sought to take it out on the grave of a less-than-pleasant ancestor. He only stopped when a voice in his head prompted him to consider his actions.”

“And this was also when that Element of Chaos scumbag, Morte, attacked the Crusaders and Twily!” Shining Armor spat. “When I get my hooves on him….”

“I understand your anger, Shining, but we must stay focused,” Celestia interrupted. “As you said Morte attacked Twilight and the Crusaders. If Jack hadn’t intervened, he likely would have finished her off. It seems somepony called him off after Jack made contact. Most likely there was another Element in the area.”

“I guess that’s all the more reason to be grateful for Jager,” If he hadn’t brought Twily to the Chimera when he did I don’t know if she would have made it.”

“Yes it was very fortunate,” Celestia agreed. “Once I heard about the attack I ordered Jack to begin his training immediately and informed the Crusader’s guardians of the incident. Once the Chimera docked in Baltimare Twilight was escorted to the Royal Hospital and Jack to the Western Canterlot Outpost. Since you have more hooves on experience with his training I’d like your thoughts on the matter.”

“When Jager arrived at the outpost Princess Luna had him brief us on the incident with Morte,” Shining Armor explained. “She seemed disturbed by Jack’s description of him. I assume she’d been hoping somepony else was responsible. After she left Jager retired to his quarters and I left to visit Twily.”

“You weren’t present for his first day of training, but based on what the other captains have said, how would you assess young Jack?” Celestia asked.

“Three Arrows had the first crack at Jager’s training,” Shining Armor said. “What a way to start things off. While I was visiting Twily in the hospital, he was forced to endure an obstacle course of designed to push him to his biological limits. It took him a whole day and night and he was moderately injured, but he managed to complete his task.”

“And your evaluation?” Celestia asked.

“Three Arrows described him as insubordinate, having disdain for any authority he doesn’t benefit from,” Shining Armor said. “Though I can’t say I agree. The Iron Front has never been the greatest at reading other ponies.”

“Oh?” Celestia pressed.

“Spitfire was the next to take on Jager’s training,” Shining Armor explained. “She was underwhelmed with his physical performance, but the two came to an agreement. He needed only to improve his speed by one mile per hour, though he didn’t manage this on the first day. I returned that night and had a conversation with him.”

“I assume this conversation was significant in forming your opinion on him?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Shining Armor nodded. “Jager said something to me I still have a hard time understanding. He never wanted to be in the E.U.P. To him, it’s just a job. While the sentiment is still foreign to me it’s helped me understand the way he thinks. He doesn’t act out of a sense of duty towards his nation, but contrary to what Three Arrows says it isn’t self-interest that drives him either. He has his own sense of right and wrong that pushes him forward, he has a desire to redeem himself from some perceived wrong he’s committed, but most of all he has a strong desire to protect those he cares about.”

“You got all that from a single conversation?” Celestia asked.

“Not all of it,” Shining Armor admitted. “It was only a start, but the rest became clear to me as I saw him fighting to defend his friends.

“That is a reassuring assessment,” Celestia said. “Let us continue.”

“Spitfire continued his training the next day,” Shining Armor continued. “Though, Three Arrows was less than pleased with her methods. The two made a bet. If Jager couldn’t meet his goal in the next lap Three Arrows would take over. Fortunately, Spitfire ended up the victor. The next day Flash Sentry was in charge of Jager’s weapons training. I’m told Jager was unable to make use of any Equestrian weapons and pulled out his gun in frustration. Flash Sentry must’ve been impressed because he’s been talking about phasing out bows in favor of firearms nonstop since.”

“Which just leaves your portion of his training,” Celestia said.

“Jager’s magic training was a challenge,” Shining Armor admitted. “Unicorn cadets have already mastered the basics and moved on to advanced spells by the time they are scouted by the E.U.P. With Jager, I not only had to teach basic spellcasting, but I also had to figure out how to activate his magic, which for a unicorn would be something learned instinctually as a foal.”

“I wish I could have helped in that regard,” Celestia sighed. “I’ve taught humans magic in the past, but unfortunately not all memories stay fresh after centuries go by.”

“Don’t worry too much about it, princess,” Shining armor said. “Twily did half of the work for me. I knew fear for his own life was a factor, all that was left was finding the other common factor in past incidents. Once we figured out that he had somepony else to protect whenever his magic activated the rest was simple. By the time you came to bring Jager back to Ponyville, he could activate his magic at will.”

“Having passed through basic, Jack was promoted to private, and you were granted leave to be with Twilight,” Celestia said. “On our way to Ponyville, I informed him of the Elements of Chaos and their desire for his power, the Chaos of Nature.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Oni-Hime’s greatest failure was her inability to stop Herr Jager from discovering Morte’s operation, in der Menschenland,” Blutknochen growled. “Because of this, we had to accelerate our plans.”

“Pourquoi tu allowed her to continue her mission?” Malade asked.

“Ein failure ist nicht enough to discard eine valuable piece from der board,” Blutknochen answered. “While Herr Jager was developing his magic, Oni-Hime gained der trust of his Freundinnen. Und with this she was able to gain his trust upon his return.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“You accompanied Twilight back to Ponyville as soon as she was discharged from the hospital, correct?” Celestia asked.

“Of course,” Shining Armor nodded. “It was the first time I had met the other elements,” he added, a slight sense of inadequacy welling up as he remembered. “Miss Rarity had ordered some outfits made for Twily and her friends, so I offered to take her luggage while she caught up.”

“Ah, yes,” Celestia said. “I remember the letter Twilight sent me. “She and the others were ungrateful for the initial outfits and had Rarity redo them. Their tastes were unusual, to say the least. Unfortunate considering Spike’s decision to invite Hoity Toity to judge her work.”

“I had to agree to a favor to get Hoity Toity to agree to a redo,” Shining Armor said. “I’m glad he found Rarity’s original work impressive, but I do wish I didn’t have to spend time in that snob’s mansion. His taste in art is… unnerving.”

Celestia was all too familiar with the pony supremacist works that aligned Hoity Toity’s mansion as well as the questionably obtained tapestries from across Equus. “I’m not fond of his tastes either,” she agreed.

“Once the dress incident died down, Jager informed the Elements about Blutknochen and his cronies,” Shining Armor said. “They determined that Zecora might know something, based on her previous warning, and went to question her.”

“Zecora wasn’t able to give any names,” Celestia recalled, “but Twilight informed me she was able to describe their abilities.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Ich had sent Løgner to confront Oni-Hime on her failure at der Menschenland,” Blutknochen said. “Ich thought some motivation would do her well.”

“Surly vous know Løgner can’t be trusted to be honest with her?” Malade scoffed.

“Ich care nicht!” Blutknochen declared firmly. “Wasever Løgner said must’ve worked. When der Element des Lachens made contact with her, Oni-Hime turned was could have been a disastrous compromise in her mission into eine valuable opportunity.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Twilight was doing well with her recovery, or at least she was until we found out about Pinkie Pie’s Pinkie Sense,” Shining Armor said. “Twily spent all day trying to figure out an explanation and only wound up injuring herself further in the process.”

“And this eventually led her to Froggy Bottom Bog?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Shining Armor answered. “She, Spike, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and the filly Pinkie picked up in the Everfree, Sakura Blossom I believe went to the bog after Pinkie Pie sensed something strange might happen there. Jager and Fluttershy had gone to release some frogs, so they were worried the two of them might be in danger.”

“And that was when they first encountered the hydra?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Shining Armor answered. “Based on Twily’s account they were about to escape when her leg gave out. Jager stepped in to protect her, but he was swallowed. Fortunately, his magic activated entering Chaos Mode.”

“And this was when he first made contact with the entity known as Emerald Jack?” Celestia asked.

“That’s right,” Shining Armor answered. “The increase in control granted him the ability to see Emerald Jack, a combination of his ego and conscious. Most likely the same voice he heard in the Lowcountry. With Emerald Jack’s help, Jager was able to subdue the hydra by using wooden shrapnel as chakram, though he failed to confirm the kill.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Once Oni-Hime informed me of die Hydra, ich ordered her to lure it to Ponyville,” Blutknochen said.

“Pourquoi?” Malade asked.

“Ich wanted to see Herr Jager demonstrate his power,” Blutknochen answered. “Oni-Himes pawns proved quite useful in this. Zwei of der colts from her class gladly lured die Hydra to Ponyville, thinking they were helping her find her Mütter’s coin und another provided ein camera.”

“Oui, but her plans were overheard,” Malade pointed out.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“What happened on the day of the hydra attack?” Celestia asked.

“The Neighponese filly, Sakura Blossom lost something in Froggy Bottom Bog while escaping the hydra,” Shining Armor explained. “She enlisted the help of the colts Snips and Snails, but the three of them ran into the hydra while searching. In a panic, they ran back to Ponyville, and the hydra followed.”

“It was Jack who first reported the danger to you, correct?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Shining Armor answered. “Jager had been helping Apples with some repair work when the hydra arrived. Applejack went to assist the foals and he rushed to inform me. I instructed Jager to stay put and informed the mayor of the situation.”

“I must say I was impressed with how efficiently you organized Ponyville into a defensive militia,” Celestia complimented. “You managed to turn civilians with no combat experience into a defensive line capable of holding the hydra back while you and the elements fought it and rescued stranded civilians.”

“I was only doing my duty,” Shining Armor said modestly. “In all honesty, had Jager not disobeyed orders and joined the fight I doubt we would have held them off long enough for you to show up.”

“I’d rather have let it live,” Celestia lamented. “But, unfortunately, the hydra didn’t leave me with that option.”

“The three foals responsible were punished and the structural damage was severe,” Shining Armor said. “But thanks to you nopony was seriously hurt and things in Ponyville quickly went back to normal.”

“I’m just glad my little ponies recovered in time for the best young flyers competition,” Celestia said. “It was quite the performance.”

“I heard there was an accident with one of the competitors,” Shining Armor recalled.

“Yes,” Celestia confirmed. “Twilight fashioned a pair of magic wings for Rarity. Unfortunately, they proved quite fragile and burned in the sunlight. Jack attempted to save her but he couldn’t activate Chaos Mode due to his excessive use of it in the days before the competition. Rainbow Dash saved both of them by performing a Sonic Rainboom. An astonishing feat for one so young. I hadn’t seen anypony pull one off in almost a thousand years.”

“And that was when you decided it was time to teach Jager how to enter Chaos Mode of his own free will?” Shining Armor asked.

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Vous sent moi at Damned to retrieve les photos from Oni-Hime,” Malade recalled.

“Das ist correct,” Blutknochen said. “Und ich instructed Damned to begin attacking Equestria’s towns. Except for Canterlot und Ponyville.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Princess, may I ask you something?” Shining Armor requested.

“Of course,” Celestia agreed.

“The vote for reform seemed far too organized to be a coincidence,” Shining Armor said. “I believe you and Three Arrows have been working behind the scenes.”

“I suppose there’s no hiding it at this point,” Celestia sighed. “Three Arrows and I have been running a secret society for many years now. The Order of the Yellow Rose’s goal has been to fight for the abolishment of the class system. Anypony on the court who expressed discontent with the system was invited to join. When Jack arrived in Equestria he brought with him knowledge of such systems. That’s why I had Lyra Heartstrings bring him to our secret headquarters before I began his training. We wanted to learn from him.” She frowned, “I understand if you feel betrayed by my secrecy.”

“Not at all!” Shining Armor quickly retorted. “What else doesn’t she trust me with?” he asked himself secretly.

“Good,” Celestia smiled. “When the interview was over, I began Jack’s training. At first, things didn’t work out well. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but with Luna’s help, that night I thought back to Virginia’s training. There is much danger of losing oneself when dealing with Chaos Magic, as is what happened with the other Roanoke settlers Virginia came with. While her parents and the others succumbed to the chaos and joined Blutknochen. Virginia mastered her magic and stayed herself. The secret was the abundance of happy memories she had to draw on.”

“That seems like a problem given Jager’s past,” Shining Armor mused.

“It was,” Celestia agreed, “but his happy memories here in Equestria were enough to counteract this.”

“Still, those memories from before pose a risk,” Shining Armor said.

“Not long after, Fluttershy was asked to watch the Crusaders for a night,” Celestia continued. “She had trouble keeping them under control, and the fillies and Jack snuck out into the Everfree to find one of her missing hens.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Eins Nacht, Oni-Hime was almost discovered while contacting me,” Blutknochen recalled. “Herr Jager und drei of his classmates were exploring der forest, Der eins known as Sweetie Belle was already suspicious from der Hydra incident.”

“She certainly has a tendency to risk exposure,” Malade commented.

“True, but thus far she hasn’t been caught,” Blutknochen said. “They ran into ein cockatrice on their way out. Herr Jager’s improvements in magic were nicht enough und she had to reveal her demon form to protect him.” He chuckled maliciously, “fortunately Herr Jager is too accepting for his own good. He convinced the others to keep it to themselves und found himself even more trusting of Oni-Hime.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Unfortunately, Jack has found his share of stress here in Equestria as well,” Celestia said. “When he learned of Apple Bloom’s feelings for him he became torn between rejecting her and ignoring the problem.”

“It would be hard to explain without revealing his secret or offending her,” Shining Armor said.

“Fortunately Applejack was able to convince him to wait for the young filly to make a move before worrying about turning her down,” Celestia said. “It will be awkward, but at least he doesn’t have to worry too much.”

“Their friendship doesn’t seem to have taken a hit,” Shining Armor commented. “When Applejack handed down her old clubhouse for Crusader use and they participated in the talent show they all seemed as close as ever.”

“Hopefully things stay that way,” Celestia said. “Not long after that, it came time for us in the Order to make our move. We held a surprise vote and in the end, the system of class was abolished and the replacement of the Royal Court with a democratically elected government was set.”

“Many ponies aren’t happy with those results,” Shining Armor pointed out. “I’m sure you’ve anticipated the consequences. Though it does seem to be popular among the peasant class.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Celestia’s decision to abolish der class system provided us with ein unexpected opportunity,” Blutknochen said.

“For such un wise ruler, to make such un foolish decision,” Malade giggled. “Give les elites un reason to revolt et vous have un coup d'état in les future.”

“Which made it easy for Løgner to infiltrate ein meeting being held by Prinz Blueblood, und offer ein alliance,” Blutknochen agreed.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“The incident at the gem mines has me more worried than anything else right now,” Celestia said.

“I read the report,” Shining Armor said. “Rarity was kidnapped by a trio of diamond dogs. In his pursuit into their lair, Jack killed one of the guards. The first kill is always the hardest. He broke down and only came back to his senses when Emerald Jack reminded him that Rarity was in trouble. Joining Spike and the other Elements he found Rarity had already freed herself when they reached her, but on their way out a comrade of the dog, he killed captured Rarity and threatened to kill her. What happened next was covered in black ink in the report, but I’ve been told Jager was possessed by something.”

“The chaos within him,” Celestia said. “Emerald Jack isn’t the only entity within him. Jade Jack represents his inner madness. It desires nothing but destruction, and Jack’s feelings of despair released it. If Fluttershy hadn’t freed him with her stair he could have destroyed the entire Everfree Province.”

“As if things weren’t bad enough, San Franciscolt came under attack by the Element of wrath almost simultaneously,” Shining armor said. “It’s hard to believe that was a coincidence.”

“It most certainly wasn’t,” Celestia said. “Blutknochen must’ve sensed the energy Jack released when he was under Jade Jack’s control and ordered the attack to lure him into combat.”

“And we fell right into his trap!” Shining Armor gasped. “Flash Sentry picked Jager up before he even had time to regain consciousness. He and Lieutenant Longbow were shot down over the White Tail Woods. Search parties were sent after them, but by the time we found them, they had already engaged Damned. Jager managed to defeat him but had trouble since Jade Jack was unwilling to allow him to enter Chaos Mode. It was only the need for self-preservation that made Jade Jack give in. Though Damned was defeated he escaped after mortally wounding Longbow.”

“I interrogated Jack afterward,” Celestia said somberly. “When he learned Longbow had passed he was devastated. I think the combined shock of the Battle of San Franciscolt and the preceding gem mine incident broke something in him.”

“He wasn’t the only one,” Shining Armor said. “Twily told me Rarity had a case of the shakes after what happened in the mines. The mere mention of Jager or even plants was enough to make her panic.”

“Yes,” Celestia agreed. “Though she was able to get a deal with Photo Finish.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Oni-Hime used Herr Jager’s depression to further gain his trust,” Blutknochen said.

“But wasn’t les point of les attack on San Franciscolt to push him over les edge?” Malade asked.

“We want him to be amicable to us nicht ein mindless animal,” Blutknochen said. “He needs to be on edge in ein condition we can use for mein purposes.”

“So by telling him her pathétique backstory she was gaining his trust to use against him later,” Malade realized.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Things didn’t go as planned for Rarity,” Celestia said. “Photo Finish lost all interest in her dresses when she saw Fluttershy. Rather than display Rarity’s dresses in her shoots, Photo Finish decided to make Fluttershy a model. Something both elements were displeased with.”

“Though, Fluttershy’s modeling career came to an abrupt end after an accident involving a stage light,” shining Armor said. “It’s lucky Jager was there or Rarity would have been crushed.”

“Thank goodness for that,” Celestia agreed. “And the two of them were able to make up after that.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Das being said, Oni-Hime’s decision to attack ein of die Elemente der Harmonie was ein unacceptable risk!” Blutknochen growled.

“She left behind evidence et that filly Sweetie Belle figured her out,” Malade said.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Unfortunately, it seems Jade Jack has been persistently egging Jack toward his breaking point,” Celestia said. “I instructed him to spend time training at the Joint E.U.P base in the Everfree forest each day to help keep his chaos at bay.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“But, Oni-Hime soon found ein opportunity to redeem herself,” Blutknochen said. “By convincing her classmates to follow Herr Jager to his training camp she thought she might out his secret. News of ein foal soldier would have harmed Celestia’s reputation to be sure.”

“But she failed,” Malade pointed out.

“Das she did,” Blutknochen muttered.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“After several failed attempts the Cutie Mark Crusaders followed Jack to the Everfree base,” Shining Armor said. “Spitfire was going to detain them, but Jager vouched for their ability to keep a secret. Thus far he’s proven correct.”

“The next significant incident would be the Battle of Appleloosa,” Celestia continued. “To my knowledge hostilities began when Jack and the Elements of Harmony were escorting a new tree to the settlement.”

“Jager engaged a young cow named Strongheart, but he and Spike were kidnaped by a number of bulls.”

“They brought them back to their camp and explained the cause of their conflict was the theft of their stampeding grounds for agriculture purposes,” Celestia said. “When Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie arrived, they agreed to aid the Bison in reclaiming their land.”

“But any chance of peace was shattered by the stubbornness of Rainbow Dash and Applejack,” Shining Armor said. “Jager attempted to defuse the situation by making an analogy to his own people’s history, but this backfired and war broke out.”

“Though Jack did manage to stop the fighting through more forceful means,” Celestia said.

“This was around the time Arrows, Fancy Pants, and Blueblood formed their parties, right?” Shining Armor asked.

“That’s right,” Celestia said, “and soon after they announced their parties to the public. Blue Blood, the Nationalists, Fancy Pants, the Liberals, and Three Arrows, Labor. The vicious Propaganda campaign they’ve launched against each other has been a nonstop eyesore in every public setting. Jack was conflicted but ultimately he joined the Liberals.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“While der Equestrians were distracted, ich had Løgner, pick up something in the Canterlot’s black market for us,” Blutknochen said.

“Les Alicorn’s Amulet,” Malade said.

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“There isn’t much to say about my trip to Ponyville,” Celestia said. “Philomena played a prank on poor Fluttershy, but other than that, nothing.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“Der most egregious compromise in our plans was Sweetie Belle’s eavesdropping on Oni-Hime’s und Løgner’s discussion,” Blutknochen growled. “Das filly knows our entire plan now.”

“Pourquoi, hasn’t she just killed les filly?” Malade asked.

“Das would bring ein investigation,” Blutknochen said. “Und we can’t have das.”

“Les filly spent un whole day trying to convince ponies of what she heard et nopony believed her,” Malade said thoughtfully. “I guess we haven’t anything to worry about.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Twilight sent me a letter about the Crusaders asking her and the other Elements how they got their cutie marks,” Celestia said. “She noted that young Sweetie Belle seemed to be depressed about something, but other than that it sounds like a beautiful experience.”

“It seems those fillies have a calming effect on Jager,” Shining Armor said. “He always seems happy around them.”

Badlands: Elements of Chaos Hideout

“When we finally brought der nationalists to our lair, only Flash Sentry had qualms about joining us,” Blutknochen said. “But in der end even he caved.”

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

“Which brings us to our latest incident,” Celestia said. “After Twilight brought on Owlowiscious as a second assistant Spike grew jealous of him. Jack soon found his own bone to pick with the bird after he broke one of his devices. Jade Jack used his anger to convince Jack to kill the owl, but those plans were changed when he encountered Spike. The two left for the Everfree where Jack slaughtered a mouse to frame Owlowiscious with. This attracted a manticore and Jack would have succumbed to the chaos had Owlowiscious not intervened. Given what we’ve discussed how would you suggest we proceed?”

Shining Armor took a minute to think. “In my opinion, he needs to be monitored. Perhaps a special agent?”

PreviousChapters Next