• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: The Royal Court (Last Edited: 7/17/2022)

July 16, 2020

Fluttershy’s Cottage

It was the day Jack was meant to be interviewed by the Royal Court, and he was busily preparing for the meeting. It was only 7:00 AM, so he had some time before the train for Canterlot was set to leave for his meeting at 9:00 PM. The ponies had spent the past few days instructing him on how to behave during his meeting. From what Jack understood, while Princess Celestia had allowed him to stay, the decision was only hers to make temporarily. As of now, the Court would decide his fate.

I don’t think I’ve done anything too offensive while I’ve been here. This shouldn’t be too tough," Jack thought to himself as he buttoned up a suit Rarity had prepared for him. "Then again, Cheerilee did say that Diamond Tiara's father is on the Court. I can't imagine he'll be very fond of me."

“Jack, are you ready?” Fluttershy called from the hall.

“Yeah, I’ll be right out!” he shouted as he finished with the last button.

Washing down his pills with a gulp of water, he stepped into the hall. “Good morning, Flutters. What’s for breakfast?”

Fluttershy didn’t answer and just stared in at nothing, in particular, clearly lost in thought.

“Flutters?” asked Jack. “You ok?”

“Hmm?” Fluttershy asked, snapping back to reality.

“What’s for breakfast?” Jack asked again.

“Oh, I made toast," Fluttershy said.

“That sounds great!” Jack chirped as they started down the stairs. He frowned. “On another note, you seem troubled. Is there something you want to talk about?”

"I-I'll tell you at the table," Fluttershy responded.

When they sat down, Jack questioned Fluttershy a second time. "So, what's wrong?"

"Well, I'm a little worried about the Royal Court," Fluttershy admitted as Jack took a bite out of his toast.

Without even swallowing, Jack asked, “why?”

"Please don't talk with your mouth full," Fluttershy requested. "I mean, if you don't mind."

With an audible gulp, Jack downed the toast. "Sorry about that. Why are you worried about the court?"

“It’s just some of them aren’t… well."

“Aren’t what?” Jack questioned before taking another bite of toast.

"Very fond of foreigners," Fluttershy answered quietly.

Swallowing his toast, Jack thoughtfully clasped his chin. "Oh... I see."

Ponyville Station

47 minutes later

Although she knew she wouldn’t be able to accompany Jack into the courtroom, Twilight had agreed to escort Jack as far as the castle. As they settled onto their coach, he took the chance to pick her brain as to the predicament he was in. She was, after all, Celestia's star pupil. It would only make sense that she'd be knowledgeable on the matter. “So, Twilight, what can you tell me about the Royal Court?”

"Let's see here…" Twilight started. "Princess Celestia and Princess Luna founded the Court two years after the defeat of Discord. The goal was to restore and maintain order in Equestria after Discord's chaotic reign. It's made up of four representatives from each class. The four highest-ranking members of the Royal Family, the heads of each branch of the military, the four richest ponies in Equestria, and four ponies elected to represent the peasants. The representatives usually only meet a few times a year and are responsible for declarations of war, controlling immigration, international trade deals, major trials, levying taxes, and setting the annual budget."

"I see," Jack replied. " What else can you tell me?"

“Princess Celestia has been talking about abolishing the court for some time now," Twilight said. "She and a few others have suggested the court is outdated, that it's unfair that the peasants only get a quarter of the representatives when they make up ninety-four percent of the population."

“What can you tell me about the representatives?” Jack asked. “Fluttershy mentioned that some of them might not be too fond of me.”

"Oh," Twilight said in realization. "There's Princess Celestia, of course, and then there's her sister Princess Luna…"

Luna, huh? I hope she's not butthurt about the last time we talked," Jack thought to himself.

"Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is the newest princess, but unfortunately, I don't know much more about her. Prince Blueblood is Celestia's nephew and a purist. He is a strict believer in the system of classes and has even advocated for banning interclass marriage," Twilight continued. "Though, that hasn't stopped him from chasing the flanks of any mare he thinks he has a chance with."

"Well, he sounds pleasant," Jack scowled. "Probably won't be very fond of me."

"I'd say that's a safe assumption," Twilight agreed. "My brother Shining Armor is the Captain of the Princess's Personal Guard. You shouldn't have any problems with him."

“Wait, your brother is on the Court!?”

“That’s right!” Twilight gleefully confirmed. “Shining Armor is my BBBFF!”

“BBBFF?”

“My Big Brother Best Friend Forever!”

"Oh," Jack said. "I wish I had that kind of relationship with my brother," he thought with a brief melancholy expression. Perking up, he asked, “anyway, what about the others?”

"Where was I?" Twilight asked herself. "Oh, Flash Sentry is the Captain of the Navy and the newest member of the Court, apart from Princess Luna, of course. I don’t really know anything else about him. Three Arrows is the Captain of the Army and a highly decorated war hero. He's also known for being one of the most outspoken critics of the class system, advocating granting full citizenship to non-ponies, and decreasing the E.U.P budget."

"Sounds like the kind of guy I could get along with," Jack said hopefully.

"I don't know if I'd go that far," Twilight said. "There are rumors that he can be hard to work with and has no regard for the well-being of those he commands. That being said, him voting in your favor is almost guaranteed."

"Well, that's a relief," Jack commented. "Continue, please."

"Spitfire is the Captain of the Wonderbolts," Twilight explained. "She's generally seen as more moderate among the representatives. Fancy Pants is the owner of the Equestrian Trading Company and probably the only business class pony who will look on you favorably. Filthy Rich is the owner of Rich's Barnyard Bargains and your classmate, Diamond Tiara's father. He's also a prominent pony supremacist, a leading figure in the Equish only movement, a proponent of banning public education, and an advocate for raising tariffs on foreign goods."

"If he's against public school, then why does he send his daughter to one?" Jack asked in confusion.

"There isn't a private school in Ponyville," Twilight explained. "From what I've heard, he's been trying to have one built-in Ponyville for a while, but nopony is willing to sell him the land he needs."

“Um-hmm," Jack said. "What about the other six?"

“Cherry Jubilee is the head of the Cherry Clan and owner of Cherry Hill Ranch, the second largest agricultural business in Equestria," Twilight continued.

“Second largest?” Jack questioned.

"Technically, the Sweet Apple Acres is larger, but the Apples renounced their business status over a decade ago," Twilight replied.

“Why would they do that?” Jack asked, tilting his head.

"Nopony knows for certain, except perhaps the Apples, but rumor has it that they did it because they thought the concept of class was unfair to the peasants," Twilight explained.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had this much respect for a rich family in my life," Jack said.

"Well, the Apples aren't really rich anymore," Twilight explained. "Equestrian tax law doesn't treat peasant class businesses kindly. A small shop in Ponyville's marketplace would be taxed 30%, Carousel Boutique and Sugar Cube Corner are taxed 45%, and Sweet Apple Acres is taxed 60%. Business-class ponies don't have to pay taxes for their businesses."

At this point, Jack had extremely mixed feelings about Equestrian society. In many ways, it was better than America with competent disaster relief, no concept of genocide, and from what he'd seen so far, the ponies had accepted homosexuality, and males and females had been treated as equals for as long as they'd been civilized. In other ways, it was about the same, if not worse. There was an almost caste system like the concept of class and a clear presence of racism and xenophobia throughout all levels of society. As bad as those things were, this was the first time he'd felt his blood start to boil at Equestria's system. He was no road-hating libertarian and understood the absolute necessity of taxation. Even so, taxing the common people this much while allowing the richest in society to pay nothing? There was no excuse!

He took in a deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. As bad as this was, there was nothing he could do about it. "Continue," Jack said.

“Hoity Toity is the owner of the Equestrian Fashion show," Twilight continued. "He tends to vote in line with the other business-class representatives, which brings us to the peasant class representatives. Lyra Heartstrings is a mythology expert obsessed with obscure myths." Twilight explained before adding. "Especially humans. She's also a talented lyrist, but she doesn't play very often."

Jack recognized the name Lyra Heartstrings. "I think Spike mentioned her the other day. I assume I don't have anything to worry about with her?"

"I'd say she's a sure thing to vote in your favor," Twilight answered. "As for the other three. Apple Fritter is a member of the Apple Family from Fillydelphia. Cherry Berry is an inventor specializing in aviation, and Time Turner is a scientist.”

“So, it sounds like the ones I need to worry about most are Blue Blood, Filthy Rich, Cherry Jubilee, and Hoity Toity," Jack noted. "And maybe Princess Luna as well.”

Outside the Royal Courtroom

5 hours later

"Good luck," Twilight called as Jack entered the chamber.

"Thanks, Twi," he said as the doors closed behind him. "I'll need it," he thought with a gulp.

Walking past the sculpture in the room's center, he nervously walked up to the four boxes containing representatives and sat down.

"Welcome, Mister Jager," Celestia greeted. "Please make yourself comfortable."

“Thank you, ma’am,” Jack said.

“As you know, the Royal Court has been made aware of your circumstances, so there is no need for you to hide anything from us," Celestia informed. "For the Court’s records, your full name is Jack Delano Jager. Is this correct?"

"Um, technically, my full name is Jackson Delano Jager Jr.," Jack corrected.

"Noted," Celestia said as she and the other representatives scribbled on their scrolls. “I assume you have some idea as to why you’ve been summoned?”

“You’re making a final decision of what to do with me, right?” Jack asked.

"That is correct," Celestia confirmed. "Based on reports of your magical prowess, the Court has come to three possible decisions. You can either be granted citizenship on the condition of military service as proposed by Flash Sentry, regular citizenship as proposed by Princess Cadenza, or Banishment as proposed by Filthy Rich. Each representative who has given a proposal shall be given a chance to argue its merit. Then each representative will ask you a question to help them reach their decision. After the questions, the representatives shall cast their votes, and we shall reach our decision," Celestia informed. "Do you have any objections, Mister Jager?”

“Yeah…” Jack started. “Come on, Jack, play it cool. Do you really think an objection is going to help you?

“What was that?” Celestia asked.

"No, ma'am, I do not." Jack sighed.

"Then let's begin," Celestia stated. "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, would you care to get us started?”

"Yes, Princess Celestia," Cadenza said. "Fellow representatives, here before us today, we have somepony who needs our help. We have no reason to feel threatened by him, as some would have us believe," she started, prompting a scoff from Filthy Rich. "In fact, he has shown himself more than willing to put his life on the line to protect our citizens. While he has proved skilled in combat, the idea of forced service is ridiculous," she continued as Flash Sentry rolled his eyes. "Why should he be forced to risk his own life for us when he still has family back home? Equestria is a nation founded on the idea of harmony, on helping out those in need. As such, I believe it is our duty to offer Mr. Jager refuge until such time as he can be sent home."

"Thank you, Princess," Celestia said. "Captain Flash Sentry, state your case, please."

“Of course, Your Highness," Flash Sentry replied. "Based on numerous reports, we have learned that the human is in possession of a powerful magic. Using this power, he has briefly held his own against a timberwolf, an ursa minor, and even a dragon. While it is true that he was unable to defeat them, I believe that given the proper training, he would be a valuable asset to Equestria’s military might.”

"Thank you, Captain," Celestia said. "Mr. Rich, it’s your turn.”

"Ahem, I have said time and time again that Equestria is a nation of ponies and should remain as such," Filthy Rich began. "Something that isn't a pony can never understand our culture and, as such, can never be loyal to Equestria. Nonponies bring nothing but crime to the communities they inhabit. It's only natural, after all. Ponies are an inherently peaceful and civilized species, while other species are inherently violent and primitive. This is why non ponies have never been eligible for full citizenship. The ape in front of us is no different than any other non-pony. On his first day of school, he violently lashed out at my daughter, leaving her emotionally scarred. I implore my fellow representatives to do the right thing and banish him to somewhere he can no longer cause harm to us ponies."

"Thank you, Mr. Rich," Celestia said. "Now that the opening arguments are out of the way, I will begin the questioning. Are you ready, Mr. Jager?”

"Yes, ma'am," Jack nodded.

“How are you adjusting to Equestria?” Celestia asked.

Jack pondered the question for a few seconds. "Had you asked me that three weeks ago, I would have said terribly, but now I'm actually starting to like it here."

“Art thou still plagued by thine nightmares?” asked Luna.

"Somewhat, but they aren't nearly as bad as they used to be," Jack answered. "I would have expected you to know that already. After all, isn't the dream realm 'your domain,'” he added mockingly.

"We see thine attitude hasn't improved in the slightest," Luna glared. "We haven't been paying attention to thine dreams as of late."

"Are you in love with anypony?" asked Cadenza.

"Erm, when you say anypony, do you mean people from back home or people in Equestria?" Jack asked.

"Both," Cadenza answered.

"I hope you don't take any offense at this, but I don't think I could ever fall in love with anyone who isn't human," Jack replied. "As for back home, not for a long time."

“Tell me about your heritage," Blueblood pompously demanded.

“Pardon?” asked Jack.

"Your class," Blueblood elaborated. "Your status in society."

"I'm just a student from a working-class family," Jack admitted.

"In other words, you're just a peasant," Blue Blood said, holding up his nose.

“Has Twilight been giving you any training to help you control your power?” asked Shining Armor.

"Very little," Jack admitted. "She determined that my magic is a defense mechanism triggered whenever I'm in danger. Since she wasn't willing to put me into any dangerous situations, we've mostly been trying to find a way to activate my power without any danger."

"That's my LSBFF for you," Shining Armor said with pride.

“Do you have any combat experience?” asked Spitfire.

“No, I do not," Jack answered.

“Do you have any training in combat or other skills relating to survival?” asked Flash Sentry.

“I did a lot of target practice at the shooting range near my apartment. I’ve also gone to a camp where I learned how to sail, was a scout for a couple of years, and had to learn to use a tourniquet for my job.” Jack answered.

“Tell us about your world view,” instructed Three Arrows.

"Well, I consider myself to be a Liberal," Jack explained. "I believe that the job of a government is to protect its citizens' rights, that all of those citizens should be treated equally, and that there should be a strong social safety net to protect people from poverty.”

“We’ve all heard Mr. Rich's side of the story," Fancy Pants said. "Care to give us your side of the incident with Diamond Tiara?"

"I was out of meds and had a bit of a meltdown," Jack admitted. "However, unlike what Filthy said, there was nothing violent about it. All I did was yell at her."

"What exactly did you do in human society?" asked Cherry Jubilee. "What skills do you have to make yourself useful?"

"I was a maintenance worker," Jack said. "I mostly cleaned bathrooms, mowed lawns, and emptied trash, but from time to time, I'd do construction, repair, and ditch digging."

"It is my understanding that you eat meat," Filthy Rich said. "Could you elaborate as to the kind of animals you eat?"

“Sure, but first, I'd like to point out that many species that are sapient in this world aren't in mine," Jack said carefully. "I eat cow, pig, chicken, turkey, deer, alligator, frog, fish, and shellfish, among other things."

“Did you say cow!?” Hoity Toity gasped.

“Yes, but as I said, they aren't sapient in my world," Jack said. "I would never eat a cow in Equestria."

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Lyra Heartstrings blurted, “CAN I TOUCH YOUR HANDS?!!”

"I'm sorry, what now?" Jack asked with his head tilted. "I knew she was obsessed with humans, but I wasn’t expecting this.

“Can I touch your hands?” Lyra asked again.

"No!"

“But I…”

"He's answered yer question, Lyra. It's mah turn now," Apple Fritter said. "What kind of agricultural products is yer homeland known for?"

"I don't know much about agriculture," Jack admitted. "But I would assume wheat and corn are the primary agricultural products of my country."

“What kind of education did you receive?” asked Cherry Berry.

"I finished high school and three years of college," Jack answered. "I had just finished my third year of university when I came here."

"Final question," said Time Turner. "What would you say were your best and worst subjects?”

“My best subject would have to be history since it’s my major," Jack answered. “As for my worst subject, I’d have to say math.”

For the next fifteen minutes, the representatives quietly compared notes as Jack nervously pondered what they might decide.

"I hope everypony has had time to take everything into consideration," Celestia finally said. "I would like all those in favor of regular citizenship to raise your hooves."

Cadenza and all the peasant delegates raised their hooves.

"That's five in favor," Celestia noted, "Those in favor of Banishment raise your hooves."

Only Blueblood, Hoity Toity, and Filthy Rich raised their hooves.

"That's three in favor," Celestia noted. "Those in favor of citizenship on the condition of military service raise your hooves," she said as she raised hers.

The remainder of the ponies raised their hooves.

"We have a clear majority for citizenship on condition of military service," Celestia said. "Motion passed."

Outside the Courtroom

30 minutes later

Once the decision was made, the representatives cleared the room faster than Jack's family after he ate fiber gummies. Shining Armor went to speak with Twilight, who was still waiting outside while Jack marched up to where Celestia had begun a conversation with Three Arrows.

"I have the utmost respect for you, Princess," Three Arrows said. "But I can't help but feel like the Royal Court isn’t fair to the peasants.”

"We have discussed this before, Captain," Celestia said. "I agree that it is unfair for ninety-four percent of the population to have fewer representatives than the other six, but what would you have me do about it?"

"Maybe the human might have some idea," offered Three Arrows. "Perhaps we should ask how his government operates?"

“Hey, Celestia!” Jack shouted as he walked over. “Why did you vote for me having to join your military!!? What gives any of you the right to force me into your army!!?”

Celestia gave him a look of understanding. "I'm sorry, Jack. Believe me. I don't want to force you into service."

"Then why did you?" Jack snapped.

"Because you need training," Celestia answered, looking him in the eye. "Those who aren't used to magic have a tendency to lose control. Twilight is right not to put you in danger to activate your magic, but can you imagine what would happen if a false alarm set off your magic? An innocent pony could get hurt. The humans I met in the past could control their magic at will, and I have no doubt that with the proper training, so can you."

As much as he hated the idea of military service, Jack had to admit Celestia's logic was sound. "I see," he said reluctantly.

"We do have a question for you," said Celestia. "If it's not too much trouble."

"Ask away," Jack said.

"Me and the princess believe the current system to be unfair to the peasants," said Three Arrows. "We were wondering how your government operates?"

"Oh, well, I'd be happy to explain," Jack said.

Jack spent the next 15 minutes explaining the three branches of the American Government, their checks and balances, and the Constitution. Celestia and Three Arrows seemed intrigued by the concept and thanked Jack as he headed back to the train with Twilight.

"This could be a good starting point," Three Arrows said once Jack was out of sight.

"I agree, but it would need some modifications to work here," Celestia said.

Everfree Forest

Having observed Jack for several days, Oni-Hime was ready to report to her father. Without cell phones or the internet, long-distance communication was hard for those in the world of Equestria. Luckily for Oni-Hime, she had several other spells besides her Seduction Curse. Unfortunately for her, the spell she planned to use required a body of stagnant water. Seeing as there wasn't anywhere inconspicuous, she could cast it in town. She found herself searching the forest. Fortunately for her, there was a small pool in the forest far enough from town that she wouldn't be bothered, but not so far as to be an inconvenience. She stepped up to the water's edge and dipped a hoof inside. "Mizu setsuzoku.”

"Ja? Oni-Hime, ist das you?" asked a voice from the pool.

“Hai, Otō-san, it's me," Oni-Hime answered.

“have you found the human?” Blutknochen asked.

“Hai! His namae is Jack.”

“Ich verstehe," Blutknochen replied. "Was else have you learned about him?”

"He's been adopted by a pegasasu namae Fluttershy and currently attends the local school."

"Wunderbar," said Blutknochen. "Ich want you to get closer to Herr Jack."

“How should I do that?”

“Enroll in the School," Blutknochen instructed. "That way, you won't have to hide in the shadows to observe him."

“Kashikomarimashita, Otō-san!”

Author's Note:

Not my best work, but not my worst work either.
Next Time: Oni-Hime shows up as a new student at Ponyville's School. She quickly makes 'friends' with Diamond Tiara, who has recently got her cutie mark and is bullying all the students who haven't. Meanwhile, Jack tries to help Apple Bloom, who is determined to get her cutie mark before Diamond Tiara's Cuteceneara. However, his efforts to help are constantly thwarted by the Oni-Hime and the colts from his class.
Ps. I'm still looking for an editor.

PreviousChapters Next