• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: Luna Eclipsed (Last Edited: 4/4/2023)

October 30, 2020

Canterlot Castle: War Room

The special agent to be assigned to Jack's security was one of Equestria's best, from the former elite monster-hunting unit. Celestia had made certain to go over her record before enlisting her.

"I went undercover for a reason you know," the agent said to Celestia. "If the bugbear…."

"It's been four years since the bugbear escaped Tartarus," Celestia said. "I'm not asking you to come fully out of retirement. Just keep an eye on Jack. You only need to drop your cover if he succumbs to the chaos. In which case, all I ask is you do what needs to be done."

"If that is what you wish, princess," the agent said with a bow.

"Good luck, Special Agent Sweetie Drops," Celestia said as the agent walked to the door.

October 31, 2020

Fluttershy's Cottage

Jack had been looking forward to Nightmare Night. From what he'd read it was almost exactly like Halloween only with Princess Luna's alter ego Nightmare Moon serving as a vengeful spirit-type character that must be appeased with a portion of each trick-or-treater's haul.

Jack had gone trick or treating up to the age of 16 much to his parent's dismay, and only really stopped because most of his neighbors stopped giving him candy. Now he was a kid again and could get as much free candy as he pleased. He'd already created a detailed map of the town for him and the Crusaders to use and pulled some strings with the E.U.P. to obtain a costume. A simple Guy Fawkes mask and a hoodie. Apart from Twilight, it was unlikely anyone would know what he was supposed to be, but he figured that might somehow get him more candy.

As he put up his mask he heard a knock on the door, "I'll get it!" he called to Fluttershy, expecting the Crusaders.

To Jack's surprise, it wasn't the Crusaders at all. It was Lyra's friend. "Oh, heeeey…." Jack began not remembering the mare's name.

"Bon Bon," the mare said, reminding Jack of her name. "I was just wondering if Fluttershy might be interested in some sweats from my shop, to give out for nightmare night."

"She doesn't really care for Nightmare Night," Jack said, pointing to where Fluttershy was cowering behind the couch. "It's just the candy shop mare, Mother," Jack called.

"T-tell her t-to go away," Fluttershy stammered. "I m-mean if th-that's all right with her."

"I don't think she'll be interested," Jack said.

"I understand," Bon Bon said cheerfully. "Take this free sample anyway," she offered, holding out a box of chocolates. "I'm sure you'll still be collecting candy tonight."

"Oh, well thank you then!" Jack replied, gleefully dumping the chocolates into his pillowcase.

"I'd almost think you'd already visited a few houses," Bon Bon remarked, having noticed the large bulge at the bottom of Jack's candy sack.

"I may have been stocking up for a few months," Jack admitted.

As a kid, Jack would begin stockpiling candy in his pillowcase as early as July. His parents figured he'd just learned the value of saving early, but the truth would have been easy to see if they had connected it to his obsession with sorting each piece of candy by brand whenever he finished trick or treating. Just one of the many quirks of his autism. One his meds did little to stifle.

"Well, I'll be going now," Bon Bon said, waving as she turned to leave.

As the door closed, Jack rushed to where he had left the mask and put it on just in time for another knock.

This time it was Sakura and the Crusaders. Sakura was dressed as a geisha, Scootaloo a werewolf, Sweetie Belle a vampire, and Apple Bloom Frankenstein's bride.

"What are you s'posed tuh be?" Apple Bloom asked.

"We are Anonymous," Jack answered in his most robotic voice. "We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us."

"Huh?" The Crusaders and Sakura asked at once.

"It's a human thing," Jack explained. "You wouldn't get it."

"Okay," Scootaloo said with a shrug. "You ready to get some candy?"

"You know it!" Jack exclaimed.

"We should at least go to the party first," Sweetie Belle said.

"Yeah, Ah promised mah sister Ah'd help her set up the apple-bobbin' station first," said Apple Bloom.

"Oh yeah," Scootaloo said. "I think Rainbow Dash will be there so, I'm in!"

"Ara ara," Sakura said slyly. "I guess me and Jack-sama will have to go on our own then."

The Crusaders responded with sour pouts, although Sweetie Belle's face betrayed a sense of worry, much to Sakura's satisfaction.

"I'm ok with checking out the party," Jack said.

"Kuso," Sakura muttered under her breath.

Ponyville Town Square

The town had gone all out. There were games, everyone was in costume, and Mayor Mare was about to give a speech. Apple Bloom had finished helping her sister so they decided to give listen.

"Thank you, everypony, and welcome to the Nightmare Night festival!" Mayor Mare exclaimed her clown outfit preventing Jack from taking anything she had to say seriously. "Now, all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of... Nightmare Moon!" she announced cackling maniacally at the words Nightmare Moon.

"I'm glad to see the town's become so accepting of Zecora," Jack commented.

"Ah know," Apple Bloom agreed. "Hard tuh believe ponies were hiding frum her jus' a few months ago."

"Follow me, and very soon, you'll hear the tale of Nightmare Moon," Zecora said ominously, the fake spiders in her mane adding to the general spookiness of her request.

Edge of the Everfree Forest

Zecora led them to an old statue at the edge of the forest depicting an alicorn, that Jack assumed must depict what Luna looked like when she was Nightmare Moon.

"Listen close, my little dears, I'll tell you where you got your fears of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary," Zecora said blowing a pile of glowing green dust from her hooves. "Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary."

The dust formed into a three-dimensional image of Nightmare Moon which slammed into the crowd eliciting gasps from the ponies.

As the glowing dust obscured everyone's vision Zecora continued. "Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves from her searching eyes."

Pip and another foal let out a scream after seeing what they thought was a face through the dust. As they ran off Zecora poked her head through and the dust cleared.

"But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: to gobble up ponies in one quick swing!" Zecora continued manipulating her dust apparition around to the terror of all foals and Pinkie Pies present. "Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!" She exclaimed as the apparition vanished.

"Uh, Miss Zecora, if we wear costumes to hide from Nightmare M so that so she won't gobble us up, how come we still need to give her some of our candy?" Pip asked.

"A perfect question, my little friend," Zecora said. "For Nightmare Moon you must not offend." Blowing the apparition back into existence she watched as it bore down on the foals. "Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!" She exclaimed as the apparition pounced and dissipated again.

"Everypony!" Pinkie screamed. "Just dump some candy and get out of here!"

Pinkie and the foals dumped portions of their stashes next in front of the statues but as they were about to leave there was a crack of lightning. The wind picked up as athestrall-drawnn chariot burst through the clouds.

"It's Nightmare Moon!" Pinkie Pie gasped. "Run!" she cried as she and the foals stampeded away.

Jack and Twilight followed the chariot till it landed in the square and revealed it was indeed Princess Luna.

The town's ponies began to bow, but Twilight thought it best to approach. "Princess Luna!" she exclaimed before Spike gestured for her to bow.

"Citizens of Ponyville!" Luna boomed in the Royal Canterlot voice as the ponies whimpered in fear. "We have graced your tiny village with our presence so that you might behold the real Princess of the Night! A creature of nightmares no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration!" she continued as the ponies slowly scootched away. "Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!"

"Did you hear that, everypony?" Pinkie asked in terror. "Nightmare Moon says she's gonna feast on us all!" she and the foals shrieked in terror and ran as fast as their legs would take them.

"God damnit, Pinkie!" Jack shouted after her. "That's rude as FUCK!"

"What? No, children, no! You no longer have reason to fear us!" Luna called. "Screams of delight are what your princess desires, not screams of terror!" she stomped her hoof hard at the word terror, eliciting a whimper from a nearby pony. "Madame Mayor, thy Princess of the Night hath arrived," she announced to the mayor who also whimpered in fear. Indeed, anypony so Luna would so much as look at cowered as if she were about to eat them.

"What is the matter with you?" Luna asked. "Very well, then. Be that way. We won't even bother with the traditional royal farewell," she said, leaving with a huff.

Jack watched as Twilight and Spike went after Luna. All his other friends had left. All except for Sakura.

"Aren't you going to run with the rest of them?" Jack asked.

"Nani?" Sakura asked. "Why would I do that?"

"I guess you know would what it's like too," Jack sighed. "To not fit in, I mean."

"Hai," Sakura nodded.

"I don't have anything quite on the level of what you went through and certainly not what Luna's going through but seeing the way they rejected her friendship without a second thought, brings back memories," Jack chuckled.

January 16, 2007

Beech Hill Elementary

It was Jack's first day at his new school. He had started the first grade at a different school but transferred over the Winter Break. He hadn't really had time to make friends at his last school, having only been there a few months, but this time he was determined.

"Class, this is Jack," the teacher introduced. "He'll be your new classmate, so be nice to him."

"Hi I'm Jack, I like Pokémon, and Harry Potter, and Star Wars, and I HOPE WE CAN BE FRIENDS!!!" Jack partially screamed.

Later at lunchtime, Jack attempted to get in with a group of his classmates playing their Nintendo DSs which they'd hidden from the teachers by holding them under the tables. Jack didn't have a DS but he did have a Game Boy Advance and figured he could make friends.

"Uh, can I sit..." Jack began, taking out his Game Boy as he approached the table.

"No," one of the children said.

"Oh, ok…" Jack said frowning in disappointment.

By recess, Jack still hadn't had any luck. Pulling out his Gameboy he found a tree out of sight of the teachers and started to play Leaf Green. He'd beat the Viridian City Gym on the bus that morning and was intent on challenging the Elite Four. As he got comfortable, he pulled a stick of gum out of his pocket which, unfortunately, brought him some unwanted attention.

"Where'd ya git the gum?"

Looking up Jack could see it was one of his classmates talking to him. Bo Williams was massive as far as first graders went and had moved into the area only a few months before Jack. He'd lived in a rural area close to the small town of St George before, so his southern accent was quite a bit thicker than most other students.

"Uh, the teacher said I could have it since I chew my shirt otherwise," Jack answered. "Want some?" he offered, hoping to finally make a friend.

"Yeah," Bo said with a malicious smirk. "Ah'll take all of it."

"All of it?" Jack asked. "I can't…."

"Ah weren't askin', freak," Bo snarled, grabbing the collar of Jack's shirt in one hand and raising a fist in the other. "Or maybe ya'd rather Ah break yer nose."

Click.

"Let him go or I'm telling," said a thin boy with brown hair and blue eyes.

"They didn't believe ya last time, Bryce," Bo said. "Ah'll just tell them yer lyin' and say my ma and pa taught me beating other kids up is a sin and I'm a good Christian."

"Which is why I brought this," Bryce said holding up the camera he had with him.

"Why you!" Bo shouted letting go of Jack as he turned to grab at the camera.

Bryce was too fast for him though and Bo's hands clamped on empty air. By which point Bryce was already making a b line for the nearest teacher. As Bo started to chase, Bryce dropped a piece of paper on the ground. Curious Jack went to pick it up. Unfolding it in his hands he read….

Meet me in the playset next to the sandbox. I'll be under the loop slide.

Not wanting to wait around for Bo to come back, Jack sprinted to the spiral slide. 5 minutes later Bryce arrived.

"You alright?" Bryce asked. "Bo was about to cave your face in. You really shouldn't go places the teachers can't see by yourself. You'll make yourself a target if you don't have any friends to back you up."

"I don't have any friends," Jack said. "I've been trying to make some since this morning, but I guess I'm too weird," standing up to leave Jack said, "thanks for the help."

"Where are you going?" Bryce asked.

"I wouldn't want to bother you," Jack said. "With my weirdness and all."

Bryce burst out laughing. "So what if you're weird?" he asked. "Weird is good. I think you'd be a great friend."

"You mean?" Jack asked.

"Uh-huh," Bryce nodded. "Wanna play video games while we still have time, friend?"

"But I don't have a DS," Jack said.

Bryce pulled out a blue Game Boy Advance SP. "Neither do I. By the way, what was Bo trying to take from you anyway?"

Jack pulled out a stick of gum. "The teacher said I could bring gum to class since I chew my shirt."

Bryce's eyes lit up. "I think I know a way to get you way more popular and get us both money for DSs."

Present Time

Ponyville: Town Square

"Bryce and I weren't the closest of friends after that, perhaps close acquaintances would be a better description, but with our gum dealing operation as successful we got our DSs by October of that year and I was grateful to even have a friend at all," Jack said. "Eventually we became friends with Shawn and Chase and our own friendship grew from that point. I never really fit in with any other humans, but now I have more friends than I ever thought possible."

Sakura sniffled quietly. At first, Jack thought she was catching a cold, but then the waterworks began. "Gomen'nasai," she sobbed. "Anata wa ōku no koto o keiken shite kimashitaga, mada ōku no koto o keiken suru hitsuyō ga arimasu."

Jack's story had tugged right at Sakura's heartstrings. She rarely felt true sympathy for anyone, even those she was attracted to, but Jack had been like her at one point, to a degree anyway. But he'd overcome his inability to make friends and become so happy. Then he'd lost it all but was given a second chance, and Sakura knew she'd be the one to take that chance away from him. She'd kept it together enough to keep her apology in neighponese. With any luck, he wouldn't pry.

Not knowing what else to do, Jack pulled Sakura into a tight embrace and let her cry into his shoulder. "She's so soft," Jack thought to himself. Feeling the need to make her feel better, he decided to hold her as long as he needed. But there was another thought in his head. "She smells nice."

The embrace lasted less than a half-minute before Jack let go, but it seemed to have calmed Sakura down.

"Better?" Jack asked.

Sakura nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"I'm gonna go talk to Luna now," Jack said blushing ever so slightly at Sakura's smile. "Why do I feel so funny?" he wondered.

"I'll just go home now. Goodnight, Jack-sama," Sakura said, wiping the remaining tears from her eyes. "I mustn't lose focus, Oto-san's goals must be my sai yūsen."

Edge of the Everfree Forest

It wasn't hard to find Luna. All Jack had to do was follow her thunderous voice. He found both her and Twilight by the Nightmare Moon Statue.

"What's up, Twi?" Jack asked.

"I was just about to help Princess Luna learn to make friends," Twilight explained. "She didn't have much time to practice socializing during the millennium she was banished to the Moon."

"That's great!" Jack said. "I was thinking the same thing!"

"Thou would help us?" Luna asked. "Our past interactions haven't been the most cordial, young human."

"I can let bygones be bygones," Jack shrugged. "Maybe try using my name next time. Most don't care to be addressed by their species."

"But as a princess, we must remain formal when addressing our subjects," Luna protested.

"The recent change in governance should be enough to demonstrate how things have changed since your banishment, Luna," Jack said. "If you want people to like you, you should treat them as equals."

Fluttershy's Cottage

"Don't worry, Princess," Twilight said as they crossed the bridge into Fluttershy's yard, "Fluttershy can give you some great pointers. She's delicate and demure with the sweetest little voice."

Not long after knocking on the door, they could hear Fluttershy practically screaming "Go away! No candy here! Visitors not welcome on Nightmare Night!"

"It's fine, Mother!" Jack shouted. "Twi just stopped by to ask a favor!"

"It is you," Fluttershy said as she timidly opened the door. "Ah, and Nightmare Moon." She gasped, "Nightmare Moon?" before yelping and slamming the door behind her.

Twilight chuckled nervously. "Wait right here," she said before going in after Fluttershy.

Several crashes could be heard from inside before Twilight pushed Fluttershy out. "Fluttershy... you remember Princess Luna?"

"Charmed!" Luna boomed.

Fluttershy bolted back inside before Twilight telekinetically dragged her back out. "Likewise," she squeaked.

"Twilight Sparkle hath spoken of the sweetness of thy voice," Luna bellowed. "We ask thou teachest to us to speak as thou speakest!"

"Okay," Fluttershy whimpered.

"Shall our lessons begin!?"

"Okay."

"Shall we mimic thy voice!?"

"Okay."

"How is this!?" Luna boomed.

"Perfect, lesson over!" Fluttershy exclaimed attempting to escape, only to be cut off by Twilight slamming the door in front of her.

"A little quieter, princess," Twilight instructed.

After a few tries, Luna managed to lower her voice to a normal volume. Excited by her success she lifted Fluttershy up and shook her with joy. "I thank thee, dear Fluttershy! Our normal speaking voice shall surely win us the hearts of thy fellow villagers."

Just then Pinkie Pie arrived with the Crusaders and other trick-or-treaters.

"Fluttershy! You've gotta hide us! Nightmare Moon is here and..." when Pinkie saw Luna holding Fluttershy she screamed. "Ah! She stole Fluttershy's voice so she can't scream when she gobbles her up!"

Pinkie and the foals turned tail and bolted for town.

"Nay, children, wait!" Luna boomed. "I mean... nay, children, no, wait," she said normally.

"Don't worry about it, Luna," Jack said comfortingly. "I know three fillies who can at least be reasoned with."

Ponyville Town Square

As Jack walked through the square, he could see he was being trailed by a black cloud. Rainbow Dash had been kicking lightning bolts at ponies all night, getting a kick out of their startled shrieks.

As Jack led her past a tree, he used his magic to launch the leaves at the cloud like a barrage of flak.

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash shouted as her cloud was ripped to shreds around her.

"Have you seen Crusaders anywhere?" Jack asked.

"They're with Pinkie by the clock tower," Rainbow Dash answered. "How'd you know I was there?"

"Last I checked, storm clouds don't stalk people," Jack answered. "See ya, Dash!"

Ponyville Clock Tower

Jack found them with no problems. "Hey Girls!" he shouted.

"Jack!" Apple Bloom exclaimed.

"Where've you been?" Scootaloo asked.

"Did you get any candy?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"I was with Twi and Luna," Jack answered.

Having overheard this Pinkie gasped. "How did you escape?! Is Twilight alright?!"

Jack didn't want to deal with Pinkie's crap. As far as he was concerned it'd be more logical just to ask the Crusaders to help make Luna feel better. However, he didn't always act in accordance with his own logic, especially when he was angry. "She's not a monster!" he shouted.

Pinkie seemed taken aback by this. "Well, duh, the Elements of Harmony turned her good. I was there the whole time!"

"Wha…?" Jack stammered. "Then why are you treating her like one?"

"It's fun to be scared sometimes," Pinkie said.

"Really?" Jack asked.

Pinkie and the foals nodded affirmatively.

"I need to tell Twilight about this," Jack said.

Edge of the Everfree Forest

Once she knew what was happening Twilight came up with a plan. She had Jack get the foals to make offerings to the Nightmare Moon statue while she went to collect Luna. Fortunately, Luna had gained the trust of the other townsponies and was enjoying Nightmare Night festivities such as pumpkin catapults and apple bobbing.

As Pip dropped the last offering in front of the statue the wind picked up and Luna's disembodied voice bellowed, "Citizens of Ponyville! You were wise to bring this candy to me. I am pleased with your offering. So pleased that I may just eat it... instead of eating you!" Luna popped into existence where the statue had been standing using the terrifying visage of what Jack assumed she must've looked like as Nightmare Moon.

The foal ran away in fright and Luna returned to her normal form in disappointment. "I am not certain that did what you meant for it to do, Twilight Sparkle."

"Just wait," Twilight said.

"For what?" Luna asked. "For... for them to scream some more?" she stopped feeling a tug on her main.

"That was great," Pip said. "Could you come back next Nightmare Night and do it again?"

"Child, Art thou saying that thou... likest me to scare you?' Luna asked.

To Luna's immense joy, Pip said yes. She eagerly agreed to come back the next year and Pip scampered off to tell the other foals the good news.

November 1, 2020 AD

Ponyville Town Square

When midnight came it was time for Luna to leave.

"I guess I'll be seeing you at the Gala?" Jack asked

"Unfortunately, we have been asked to attend a diplomatic summit in Saddle Arabia," Luna said.

"We shall need to leave tomorrow to make it in time for the ceremony of Al-Qamar."

"The ceremony of the Moon?" Jack asked.

"Thou speak Saddle Arabian?" Luna asked.

"No," Jack answered. "In my world, there are people known as Muslims. They follow the teachings of a man known as Muhammad who lived over 1300 years ago. Muhamad's followers wrote a book of his teachings called the Quran. One chapter is titled Al-Qamar. It depicts Muhamad splitting the Moon in two to demonstrate the power of God."

"The Saddle Arabians tell a similar story," Luna said. "It's interesting how many parallels there are between our realms."

Fluttershy's Cottage

Once Luna left it was time for Jack to go home. It was after all a school night.

He'd managed to accrue a moderate amount of candy despite his late start and he'd sorted it all according to type before going to bed. They were all lying on the floor except for a single chocolate ball from the box Bon Bon had given him. As if it had a mind of its own it had rolled under Jack's dresser and was emitting an ever so faint glow.

Author's Note:

This month has been hectic. I finally got a park ranger job though! YAY! I'll be moving to the Georgia border sometime in April or May. I just need an apartment. I found a dorm styled on for 415 a month. I just need my therapist to write me a letter stating that my cat is an ESA (I do have autism and the cat really does help me stay calm please don't bitch at me in the comments about how I'm just trying to get around the rules.) I'm pretty sure I've found a sublettor and they will be coming to look at my apartment this week.
Next Time: Pinkie Pie begins to lose her mind when she suspects her friends are avoiding her party.

PreviousChapters Next