• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42: You Have to Believe Me! (Last Edited: 1/24/2023)

October 14, 2020

Fluttershy's Cottage

Jack's eyes shot open to the usual submarine alarm of his phone. 9:30 AM. That was the time. Rolling out of bed, he slowly got ready for his day.

He wouldn't normally get up so early, but he preferred to get his training out of the way by lunchtime. Things were getting intense in Equestria's political sphere, and you couldn't go five feet into town without your eyes being assaulted with attack ads. It was like an offline version of a 4chan board or r/The_Donald, and Jack despised every minute of it.

No sooner had Jack sat down for breakfast was there a knock on the door. With a grumble, he moved to answer. To his surprise, Cherry Berry was waiting for him.

"Hello, Jack!" Cherry Berry greeted.

"Uh, hey, Cherry Berry," Jack greeted. "What brings you here?"

"I was hoping you might be interested in joining the Liberal Party's canvassing campaign here in Ponyville," Cherry Berry answered.

"You mean like, going door to door?" Jack asked.

"That's right," Cherry Berry answered.

"I really should get my training out of the way," Jack thought. "Then again, this could be interesting."

"Well?" Cherry Berry asked.

"Oh, why the Hell not," Jack decided.

Carousel Boutique

Sweetie Belle hadn't come out of her room in days. Sakura, or rather Oni-Hime, had to have figured out that it was her. What would she do to her? She had already attempted to kill Rarity.

"Sweetie Belle, darling, I'm coming in!" The door creaked open, and Rarity slipped inside. "Mother and father are worried sick about you. You've been in here for almost a week. You've missed classes, the Crusaders have been by at least three times, and the ponies in town are starting to talk. You simply must tell me what's wrong."

Without warning, Sweetie Belle bolted out of her bed and practically tackled Rarity in a tearful embrace.

"There, There," Rarity cooed, gently rubbing her sister's head. "Your big sis is here for you."

"She-she's going to kill me," Sweetie Belle sobbed.

"What?" Rarity asked. "Who?"

"Sakura," Sweetie Belle answered.

"Why would Sakura want to kill you?" Rarity asked.

Rainbow Dash’s Cloud House

"Rainbow Dash!" Jack called for the tenth time.

"I don't think she's home," said Cherry Berry.

"I guess not," Jack agreed.

As they turned to leave, a Rainbow blur flashed down from the top floor of Dash's cloud house.

"S'up, Jack?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Not much, Dash," Jack answered. "Me and Cherry Berry were just doing a little canvassing."
"Huh?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"We're trying to convince ponies to vote Liberal," Cherry Berry elaborated.

"What were you doing up there, Dash?" Jack asked. "I've been calling for like five minutes."

"None of your business!" Rainbow Dash snapped, blushing profusely.

"Alright, alright," Jack said. "What you do in your own home is your business."

"So what issues would you say are most important to you, Miss Rainbow Dash?" asked Cherry Berry.

"Does me getting into the Wonderbolts count as an issue?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"No," Jack answered. "And neither does making everything 20% cooler."

"Horsefeathers," Rainbow Dash cursed. "Well, then what would count as an issue?"

"Well, for one, the tax rate on peasants has always been absurd," Cherry Berry said. "Even though the Class System is being abolished, it's still important to create a fair tax policy that doesn't bankrupt the average pony."

"Say what?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"She means you should pay less in taxes," Jack explained.

"Oh, radical!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Count me in!"

Carousel Boutique

Sweetie Belle had explained everything from the Hydra incident to what she had overheard the other day to Rarity.

"And that's why we need to do something," Sweetie Belle said. "She's going to kidnap Jack at the Gala."

Rarity giggled, taking on a sly grin. "Oh, Sweetie Belle, you have such an active imagination!"

"What?!" Sweetie Belle squeaked.

"I mean, I knew you had a thing for Jack, but to think you'd come up with such an elaborate story," Rarity said.

"That's not it at all!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"Are you sure?" Rarity asked. "You're not the least bit jealous when you see Sakura and Jack together?"

"NO!" Sweetie Belle shouted. "I'm being serious, Rarity. Jacks in danger!"

"Don't be redi…"

Before Rarity could finish her sentence, there was a knock on the door.

"We'll finish this discussion later, Sweetie Belle," said Rarity.

Outside

"This is going well," Jack said, pleasantly surprised.

"We've only been to three houses, Jack," Cherry Berry said.

The door swung open. "Oh, Jack, what a pleasant surprise," said Rarity. "Are you here to see Sweetie Belle?"

"Not today, Rarity," Jack answered. "I and Cherry Berry are canvassing for the Liberal Party.

"Canvassing?" Rarity asked.

"We're explaining what our party will do for you," Cherry Berry said.

"Oh, well, that sounds delightful," Rarity said. "I'd be happy to listen."

"What issues do you find most important?" Cherry Berry asked.

"Well, I've always dreamed of opening a boutique in Canterlot," Rarity explained. "But preferential treatment for the business class has made it impossible."

"Excellent," Cherry Berry said. "As I'm sure you know, the class system has been abolished. However, the Nationalists desire to bring it back, and the Labor party wants to do away with private ventures such as yours altogether."

"Yes, that was the impression I got," Rarity said.

"It is the position of the Liberal Party that aspiring entrepreneurs such as yourself be allowed to do business with minimal interference," Cherry Berry said. "We are committed to upholding the abolishment of the class system. I think you'll find a Liberal-led government preferable."

The conversation went on another few minutes before Rarity decided it was time to check back in with Sweetie Belle. Pleasantly bidding Jack and Cherry Berry adieu, Rarity shut the door behind her and went upstairs.

"Sweetie Belle, darling?" Rarity called as she opened the door to her sister's room.

Sweetie Belle was nowhere to be seen, and her window was wide open.

"Where'd she go?!" Rarity gasped.

Sweet Apple Acres

If Rarity wouldn't hear her out, there was only one other pony in Ponyville Sweetie Belle could turn to. "If I can just tell Applejack!" she thought as she ran down the country lane toward the Apples' house. It made sense, of course. Being the Element of Honesty, Applejack would immediately know she was telling the truth.

"Heya, Sweetie Belle!" exclaimed Apple Bloom, who'd been working nearby. "Long time no see. How've ya been?"

"Oh, hi, Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle said, stopping to talk to her friend. "I've just been a little sick. Is Applejack here?"

"Ah think Applejack is helpin' Granny Smith with a pie," Apple Bloom answered. "Glad yer feelin' better. Ah should be done with my chores soon. Wanna go crusade…"

"Thanks, Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle called as she bolted toward the house.

Apple Household

"And that's how you make an award-winnin' Apple Pie!" Granny Smith exclaimed as she proudly pulled the steaming dish from the oven.

"You've always been proud of that recipe," Applejack chuckled.

"Darn tootin'!" Granny Smith agreed. "This here recipe beat Grand Pear's pear tart ten years in a row!"

The door swung open. "I need to talk to Applejack!" Sweetie Belle shouted.

"Whoa, Nelly!" Applejack exclaimed. "What's the matter, Sweetie Belle?!"

"Jacks in danger!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"Excuse us, Granny," Apple Jack said, gesturing for Sweetie Belle to go upstairs.

Once they were safely upstairs, Applejack began her interrogation. "What's goin' on, Sweetie Belle? What do ya mean, 'Jack's in danger.'"

Sweetie Belle told Applejack exactly what she told Rarity. "Rarity didn't believe me, so I thought that if I went to you, and you'd know I wasn't lying."

"Ah can tell ya ain't lyin', Sweetie," Applejack said.

"That's great!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed. "Now you just have to tell the Princess…"

"Sweetie Belle," Applejack interrupted. "I said I can tell ya ain't lyin', but that don't necessarily mean I believe you."

"Huh?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"One time Apple Bloom tried tuh tell me she'd seen our ma come home," Applejack chuckled. "She weren't lyin' or nothin'. She really thought she'd seen her. We all have dreams. Sumtimes when a dream is particularly emotional, our minds an' even our hearts are tricked intuh think'n it's real, but it's not. No matter how much we want it tuh be."

"But I don't want this to be true!" Sweetie Belle protested. "Why would I want Jack's life to be in danger?"

"Maybe it's not that ya want Jack tuh be in danger," Applejack offered. "It could be that you just want a reason to believe Sakura ain't a good pony. Ah know how you an' the other girls feel about Jack. Ah can't imagine it feels good tuh see him spending time with her."

Utterly defeated, Sweetie Belle apologized for wasting Applejack's time and left. On her way out the door, she passed Jack and Cherry Berry.

"Oh, hey, Sweets, how are you doing?" Jack asked.

Sweetie Belle said nothing, simply walking down the lane to be by herself.

Jack wanted to see what was wrong, but he'd made an agreement with Cherry Berry already, and he wasn't the type to break his word.

Cherry Berry knocked on the door, and Applejack soon answered.

"Howdy, Jack," Applejack greeted. "Howdy, Cherry Berry. What brings the two of ya here tuhday?"

"We're here to tell you what the Liberal Party has to offer," Jack said. "Do you have maybe five minutes to hear us out?"

"Ah reckon five minutes ain't too much," Applejack agreed.

"Excellent!" Cherry Berry explained. "May I ask what issues are most important to you and your family at the moment?"

"Ah s'pose that wouldn't be too much trouble tuh answer," Applejack agreed. "Ever since our business class status was revoked, Sweet Apple Acres has struggled to make a profit. Ah hate tuh say it, but Ah don't really see how abolishing the class system will help much."

"It probably won't," Jack admitted. "The reason most farms have done so well in Equestria has been the privileges enjoyed by the business class families in charge. Outside of cash crops, the free market isn't typically all that kind to agriculture."

"Which is why the Liberal Party intends to introduce subsidies for agriculture," Cherry Berry interjected. "By investing in our agriculture, we will ensure that farmers such as yourself will be more than able to survive price changes, crop failure, or any other challenge that comes your way."

The conversation went on for a few more minutes before Jack, and Cherry Berry moved on.

Sugarcube Corner: Oni-Hime’s Room

At first, Oni-Hime was unsure who'd been watching her conversation with Løgner, but after a few days, it became clear. Sweetie Belle had already been suspicious of her, and the filly's sudden absence was a dead giveaway. She'd instructed Featherweight, Pip, and Rumble to keep an eye on Sweetie Belle's house, so it was only a matter of time before…

"She's on the move!" Rumble reported bursting through the door.

"Where?" Sakura asked.

"Featherweight said she was heading for Sweet Apple Acres," Rumble explained. "Pip's following her now."

"Arigatō, Rumble-san," Sakura thanked, kissing him on the cheek. "I think I'll pay her a visit."

Rushing past Rumble, who was a blushing mess, Sakura bolted downstairs, barely noticing Jack and Cherry Berry as she raced outside.

"Wonder what's got Saki in such a hurry?" Jack mused as he watched her run off.

He didn't have time to think much more about it as a certain pink pony answered the door.

"Hiya, Jackie!" Pinkie greeted. "Hiya, Cherry Berry! Whatcha doin' here?"

"We were just…" Jack began.

"About to try and convince me to vote for the Liberals?" Pinkie asked. "I know!"

"Then why did you ask?" Cherry Berry asked. “Wait, how did you know?”

"It's a…" Pinkie began.

"A secret, right?" Jack interrupted before muttering. "Sounds about typical."

"So, what issues would you say are most important to you, miss Pinkie Pie?" Cherry Berry asked.

"Wowie, there are so many I don't know where to start!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Ooh! Ooh! I know! I've had this itch on the back of my neck for hours, and I just can't reach it!"

"That's not what…" Cherry Berry started.

"Sometimes my party cannons get clogged up because I accidentally load them with cake, and sometimes my ovens catch on fire because I misplace my confetti!" Pinkie continued.

"Pinks…" Jack tried to interrupt.

"Sometimes I have dreams that there are alternate universes!" Pinkie continued. "But not like the one you came from, Jackie. More like parallel dimensions. There's one where I'm an alcoholic, drug and sex-addicted celebrity, one where I'm a gypsy orphan trying to resurrect my parents, and even one where I'm a human!"

"Those all sound like personal issues," Cherry Berry tried to point out.

"You ever wonder if we might just be characters in a story?" Pinkie asked.

"There's no point trying to have a normal conversation with Pinks," Jack said as Pinkie continued rambling. "We should move on to the next house on the list."

Cherry Berry agreed, and they moved on to the next house.

Golden Oak Library

By 4 PM, Jack and Cherry Berry had only one stop left.

Knocking lightly, they waited for Twilight to answer the door.

"It's nice to see you, Jack," Twilight greeted, "and Cherry Berry? What brings the two of you here?"

"We're canvassing for the Liberal Party," Jack answered. "Would you mind telling us what issues are most important to you?"

"I don't think that will be necessary," Twilight said. "I've already decided to vote Liberal. You wouldn't believe the amount of research I've done. On top of reading each party's manifesto, I've read Marx, Smith, Kropotkin, Keynes, Lenin, Mao, and even Hitler."

"I should have known you'd have already made an informed decision," Jack said. "Although, given the option, I would assume the choice wasn't that hard."

"Indeed," Twilight agreed. "The Nationalists want to restore the old order and crack down on anypony who would oppose them. Rule by iron hoof would only serve to bring disharmony to Equestria. Labor wants to eliminate hierarchy entirely. A noble goal, but one that would require an insane level of care and tact to implement. One wrong move, and Equestria would simply stumble into a new form of tyranny. Liberalism has its problems too, but the ideology provides a sense of stability missing in that of Labor, and protection for freedoms the Nationalists would strip us of."

With that, Jack and Cherry Berry bid Twilight farewell.

Ponyville Park

Sweetie Belle sat in the gazebo, ears drooped and shoulders slumped in resignation. Tears welled in her eyes as her chin trembled like the strings of a cello.

"Kon'nichiwa, Sweetie Belle-chan," Oni-Hime greeted from the gazebo entrance. Her demeanor was free of malice, contempt, or even frustration. She was calm. Eerily so.

"Are you here to kill me?" Sweetie Belle sobbed.

"The thought's crossed my mind," Oni-Hime admitted. "But, what would be the point? Nopony believes you," she jeered, closing into where she was only a nose length away. "Not even Applejack." Sliding one of her hooves under Sweetie Belle's chin and propping up her face for direct eye contact, she said, "There's nothing you can do to stop me. Jack-sama will be mine, Equestria will fall, and as for your sister and her friends... a bloody fate awaits those who bare the Elements of Harmony."

Author's Note:

I think this one came out nicely. A bit repetitive at times, but overall I'm satisfied. Work's slowed down quite a bit, and my cat's settled in well, so I should have more time to write.
Next Time: As Sweetie Belle recovers from her encounter with Oni-Hime, the Crusaders go on a journey to learn about how Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark, listening to the stories of the other Elements along the way. Later, Jack and Oni-Hime reflect on their own journeys to discover their talents.

PreviousChapters Next