• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16: Oni-Hime (Last Edited: 7/17/2022)

July 13, 2020

Friendship Express: On route between Manehatten and Ponyville

Oni-Hime watched the landscape of Equestria pass her by with an exuberant smile. The trip from the Eastern Continent to Equestria had been the most fun she'd had in decades. While her fellow elements were of little appeal to her, she had already met several outsiders that had caught her interest. From the sexy Griffoness in Griffonstone to the macho earth pony stallion in Manehatten, it was becoming very hard to focus on her mission. She very well might have abandoned her mission entirely if it weren't for two things.

For one, despite being 415 years old, she didn't look any older than a school filly. This childish appearance was off-putting to anypony she would try flirting with, to say the least. A few decades ago, her size wouldn't have been a problem, but it would seem that tastes among the outsiders had changed since she last visited civilization. As it stood, her Yūwaku, no Noroi (Seduction Curse), only worked on those who already had some attraction to her, even if it was only on the subconscious level. Then there was her father. Blutknochen was the only family she had left. As such, she was fiercely loyal to him and would sooner die than disobey his wishes.

I wonder what this human will be like," she thought to herself.

Apart from Morte, Blutknochen hadn't allowed any of the Elements to see the comatose human that had been recovered from the experiment. She knew from the stories she'd heard that humans were a kind of ape with powerful magic, but she knew little else. She was still with her mother during Blutknochen's last successful experiment and had only ever seen objects pulled from his less successful ones. Bizarre objects indeed, many like nothing she'd ever seen, and over time they only got stranger. Blutknochen claimed this was due to the humans being unable to use their magic in their home world. The lack of magic meant they had to get creative with their technology.

Golden Oak Library

Jack was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the town had recovered from the parasprite attack. Sure, there was still a ton of repair work left to do, but for the most part, everyone seemed to be going about their day as if the attack never happened. He couldn't help but compare this to how America responded to disasters. Puerto Rico still hadn't fully recovered from Hurricane Maria, and it had taken years to rebuild New Orleans after Katrina.

A guard unit had dropped off his prescription earlier that morning, and currently, he was on his way to return a book on common animal diseases that Fluttershy had checked out weeks earlier. This was one of several errands he had agreed to run for his adoptive mother by the end of the day. As he walked up to the library's entrance, he couldn’t help wondering what strange thing would happen next.

Knocking on the door, he heard Spike answer from the other side.

“Just give me a few seconds! I’ll be right there!”

After almost two minutes, the door opened, and Spike walked out. "Oh, hey, Jack. What brings you here today?"

"Just returning this," Jack answered, handing the book to Spike.

"Thanks, I'll tell Twilight you dropped by to return it when she gets back," Spike said as he snatched the book.

“What’s got you in such a hurry?” Jack asked before Spike could close the door.

"Twilight left me with a ton of chores to do," Spike explained. "I wish I had time to hang out, but I really need to get back to work."

"I get it. I'm doing some chores for mother as well," Jack replied as a thought occurred. "Hey, why don't we help each other out. That way, we can do our chores and hang out."

“That’s a great idea!” Spike exclaimed with a grin. He then took on a quizzical look. "I've been meaning to ask. You've been calling Fluttershy mother for almost two weeks, right?"

"Yeah," Jack answered. "Why?"

"What changed?" Spike asked. "I mean, back on the mountain, you said you didn't see her that way."

Jack carefully considered the question. He couldn't tell Spike about his agreement, could he? No, there wasn't really any convenient way to avoid the topic of his origin. Then it clicked. "I guess I gave our conversation a bit more thought," he lied. "I mean, she took me in when I had nowhere else to go. She provides me with food, clothes, and shelter. What else would I call her?"

Ponyville Station

The Friendship Express slowly entered the station. Once the train came to a stop, the passengers flooded onto the platform. Among them was Oni-Hime. As she got out of the coach, she immediately set eyes on a porter moving a crate of cider toward a freight train.

“Kon'nichiwa, Oji-san!” she called, running up to the porter.

"I'm in the middle of something right now," he grunted. "Go bother somepony else."

Oni-Hime moved to where she was almost rubbing against the stallion. “Come on. Surely you can spare some time for me?” she pouted.

"Listen, kid, I don't have time to help you!" the porter said, looking her in the eye. "Beat it!"

Kanpekina!” Oni-Hime thought as her eyes glowed hot pink. “I’m a little lost. Could you please help me?”

"I just told you I'm busy!" the porter growled. "If you need help, go to the visitor center across the street.”

I don't understand why this isn't working. I used to be able to control any stallion I want. I could even get some of the mares to do things for me," Oni-Hime thought. “It can’t be that I’m not attractive, can it? My body hasn’t noticeably aged in almost rokuju-nen.”

Come on, kid, leave me alone," the porter said.

Oni-Hime bowed. “Gomen'nasai."

Golden Oak Library

“So, what do we need to do first?” asked Jack as Spike returned the book to its shelf.

"Twilight wants me to catalog all the book returns and put everything back on the shelves," Spike explained. “Let’s see here, Common Diseases in Animal Companions, checked out by Fluttershy June 23 at 1:34 PM. Returned July 13 at 11:28 AM.”

“Where are the others?” Jack asked.

"In that bin by the door," Spike said, pointing to a green bin.

"All right, let's see here," Jack said as he walked to the bin. "Obscure Legends Volume 7: Humans, checked out by Lyra Heartstrings June 13 at 8:51 AM. Returned July 13 at 10:47 AM.”

“Lyra?" Spike asked. "That's unusual. She usually rechecks that book out right after returning it."

"It doesn't really look all that long," Jack noted.

"She's read it at least a hundred times now," Spike explained. "She's obsessed with human myths."

“That's a little unsettling," Jack said.

"I'm surprised you haven't met her," Spike said as he pulled out the next book. “I’d have thought she would have jumped at the chance of meeting you.”

“Maybe she’s been busy?” Jack offered.

"Well, she is on the Royal Court," Spike agreed. "Let's see here, The Best Party Ever, checked out by Pinkie Pie June 17, at 4:20 PM. Returned July 13, at 4:20 AM.”

After 15 minutes of cataloging, Jack and Spike chose to do Fluttershy's shopping next.

Outside of Ponyville Station

Oni-Hime walked out of the station, feeling annoyed that her power wasn't working. The visitor's center was right across the street from the station, so that would be her next stop. Walking inside, she spotted the receptionist at the desk. “Sumimasen, Ojō-San?"

"Hello there, young filly," said the receptionist. “How may I assist you?”

"I'm looking for somepony," Oni-Hime said.

“Is it somepony who works here?” asked the receptionist.

"I don't think so," Oni-Hime admitted.

"I can't help you find an individual pony, but you might have more luck checking the registry at the Town Hall," the receptionist explained.

“Where’s that?” Oni-Hime asked.

"It's in the center of town," the receptionist said, reaching into her desk. "Would you like a town map?”

Oni-Hime nodded and took the map. “Arigatou," she said with a bow.

Ponyville Market Place

Jack and Spike were bartering with a middle-aged shopkeeper for five large bags of birdseed. The keeper in question had grown used to taking advantage of Fluttershy's kindness and ripping her off.

"Well, I'm not Fluttershy, and I say fifty bits per bag is a rip-off," Jack fumed.

"Twenty bits per bag, that's fair," Spike added.

“What if I knock it down to forty-five?” the shopkeeper offered.

“Do I look like knocking the price down by five bits will get me to buy it?” asked Jack indignantly.

"All right, all right," the shopkeeper said. "Thirty-Five bits, final offer."

“Deal!” Jack said as he forked over the bits.

"Pleasure doing business with you!" the shopkeeper called as Jack and Spike left. "Foals these days," he muttered when he was sure they were out of earshot. "They're becoming even harder to rip off than their parents."

“What should we do next?” Jack asked Spike.

"Twilight needs some more quills," Spike said. "Quills and Sofas is just across the street from here."

Ponyville Town Hall

Oni-Hime had arrived at the town hall and was now searching for the town registry.

"Where are you going, young filly?" asked a blue mare.

"To the registry," Oni-Hime responded.

“Do you have permission?”

“Permission?”

"Yes," the mare confirmed. "You'll need to tell the mayor who you're looking for and get permission to enter the registry."

"I did not know that," Oni-Hime admitted.

"Don't worry about it," the mare said warmly. "Would you like me to take you to the mayor's office?"

"Hai," Oni-Hime said, bowing her head. "That would be a lot of help."

The mare led Oni-Hime down the hall to the Mayor's office.

The mare knocked on the door. "Miss Mayor, there's somepony here to see you."

"Come in," Mayor Mare said from behind the door. "Thank you, Diamond Mint," she said once they were inside. "I'll take it from here."

"What can I help you with?" the Mayor asked as Diamond Mint left.

"I would like to enter the registry," Oni-Hime answered.

"Who are you looking for?" Mayor Mare asked.

"The human," Oni-Hime answered.

Mayor Mare gave her a skeptical look. “And what is your relationship with him?”

"He's an old friend of mine," Oni-Hime lied.

The Mayor narrowed her eyes. "Really? Well, I can't just let you in to go look for 'the human.' What's his name?"

“Well, I… his name… his name is…” Oni-Hime stuttered.

"If you don't know who you're looking for, I can't help you," Mayor Mare sighed.

"Oh, come on," Oni Hime said as her eyes began glowing. "Surely, you can make an exception."

Mayor Mare looked at her, completely unfazed. "The answer is no."

"Wakarimasu," Oni-Hime said, glumly walking out the door. "What’s going on here? I know my power doesn’t usually work on mares, but I haven’t been able to get it to work on anypony here.”

Quills and Sofas

“So, this store exclusively sells quills and sofas?” Jack asked Spike as they browsed through the store’s selection of quills.

“Yeah, why?” asked Spike.

"No reason particularly. It just seems like an oddly specific combination," Jack replied as he looked at a quill made from an egret feather.

"Yeah, but it seems to work for them," Spike said.

"I can see that," Jack said as he looked around at all the ponies in the store.

"That should be enough," Spike said as he grabbed a few quills. "Now, I just need to buy some groceries, and I'll be done!"

"That's great," Jack said. "But why don't we go do Fluttershy's gardening first. That way, we don't have to worry about anything spoiling."

"Good idea," Spike chirped.

Ponyville Town Square

Oni-Hime walked out of the Town Hall. “I don't understand. Am I doing the spell wrong, or am I just not attractive to these ponies?” she thought in melancholy.

Feeling a little hungry, she made her way across the street to Sugar Cube Corner, where she ordered a blueberry cupcake. While she was waiting, she saw five colts sitting around a table.

"I'm telling you, Jack is the reason why none of the fillies in our class will give us the time of day," said Snips.

"I don't get it," said Snails. "How could Jack be stopping them from paying attention to us?"

"It makes perfect sense to me," said Rumble. "My brother is always talking about how mares are more interested in foreign stallions.”

"Is that really how it works, Rumble?" asked Pipsqueak. "I mean, I'm from Trottingham, and I'm not really all that popular either."

“Maybe it's because they think he's cooler, Pip," said Featherweight. "I mean, I can't be the only one who'd never even heard of a human before he showed up."

"Exactly my point, Featherweight!" agreed Snips.

Human?” thought Oni-Hime.

“What exactly are we supposed to do about it?” asked Pip. “If they like…”

"Sumimasen?" Oni-Hime interrupted. "I couldn't help noticing you were talking about the human."

"Even more proof," Snips said bitterly. "The only time fillies want to talk to us is to ask about Jack."

“Gomen'nasai,” Oni-Hime fake sobbed. “I didn’t mean to make you angry.”

"Look what you did, Snips!" exclaimed Rumble.

Once she had their full attention, Oni-Hime unleashed her curse. "I don't suppose you strong, handsome, colts, would be willing to help a poor lost filly out?"

“I’d love to!” all the colts said at once.

“Subarashī!” Oni-Hime exclaimed. “So, my power works on foals, but not on adults.

“What do you want us to do?” asked Featherweight.

"First, I'd like your names," Oni-Hime said.

"I'm Snips!"

"Snails!"

"Rumble!"

"Featherweight!"

"Pip!"

"Could one of you explain why none of the older stallions seem to have any interest in me?" Oni-Hime asked once the colts were finished with their introductions.

“Because that would be…” Pip started.

"It would be ille…” Rumble interrupted.

The five colts all tried to answer her question, only to wind up interrupting each other. The endless stream of interruptions inevitably led to a fight, and the bakery was engulfed in chaos.

“I’m trying to talk here, eh!” Snails shouted, shoving Snips away from the table.

“Quit interrupting!" Featherweight cried as he tried to do the same to Rumble and Pip, only to end up falling out of his chair.

“You colts should be ashamed of yourselves fighting like that!" Cup Cake shouted from behind the counter. "Your parents will hear about this!"

“Colts!” Oni-Hime called, standing in the doorway. “Maybe we should take this somewhere else?”

“Right away, err…” started Snips.

"Sakura Blossom," Oni-Hime lied. She led the colts outside. "This time, answer my questions one at a time," she instructed, pointing to Pip. "Pip-Chan, why aren't the older sutarion showing me any interest in me?”

"Because it's a crime for adults to be special-someponies with foals," Pip answered.

That would explain why my power doesn’t work on them," Oni-Hime realized. “My childish body is making them fear arrest. The law must have been passed several decades ago for it to be enough to prevent my spell from working.”

"You should be careful," said Rumble. "My parents are always telling me that it's dangerous to talk to adults I don't know.”

“Why?” asked Oni-Hime.

"Because they might be foal-fiddlers," Rumble answered.

“I see…” Oni-Hime replied. “This could be useful," she thought. "Arigato, Rumble-Chan!" she exclaimed with a smile.

“Oh…um… your welcome," Rumble blushed.

"Alright then," Oni-Hime said as she pointed to Featherweight. “What can you tell me about the Human, Featherweight-Chan?”

“You mean Jack?” Featherweight asked.

"Hai, I do," Oni-Hime nodded.

"He moved to Ponyville about a month ago," Featherweight answered. "He says he's the only human left, and the rest of his kind were wiped out by a plague. He also takes some kind of medication. I don’t really know anything else about him, though.”

“Interesting," Oni-Hime said. "What about you, Snails-Chan?"

"Well, I know he doesn't eat ponies, eh," Snails dopily answered."

I guess I'll have to be more direct," Oni-Hime thought. “Do you know where he lives, Snips-Chan?”

"Well yeah, he lives with Fluttershy in the cottage by the forest," Snips answered.

“Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita!” Oni-Hime exclaimed, blowing Snips a kiss. Rushing off, she left him a blushing mess as the other colts gave Snips jealous glares and muttered about how it should have been them.

Fluttershy’s Cottage

20 minutes later

Oni-Hime made her way up to the isolated cottage. There didn't seem to be anyone home, but just to be sure, she gave the door a few knocks. After waiting for thirty seconds, nobody answered. "Shikata ga nai," she said to herself. At least she knew where to find him now.

She was about to leave when she heard voices from behind the house.

“I never knew weeding was so easy.”

"That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to pull up the roots, not just the stem."

Oni-Hime slowly crept to the backyard and hid in a bush. Peering through the branches, she spotted a baby dragon holding up a piece of sedge being lectured by a strange creature she'd never seen before.

"If you don't pull out the roots, it will grow back in a day," the creature scolded.

"That must be the human.” Oni-Hime deduced. As she continued to watch, one thought came to her mind. "He will be mine!”

Author's Note:

I had a bit of writer's block for a while, but I managed to get it out on time.
Note: Winter Wrap Up will not be the focus of the next chapter as that would require a significant time skip. Instead, I will be doing another original chapter, and Winter Wrap up will be moved to season 2.
Next Time: Jack travels to Canterlot at Princess Celestia's request, where the council comes to a final decision about how to integrate him into Equestrian Society.

PreviousChapters Next