• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 48: Party of One (Last Edited: 4/5/2023)

November 1, 2020

Bon Bon’s Confectionary

Apart from Sugarcube Corner, Bon Bon’s Confectionery was the most popular spot in Ponyville for those with a sweet tooth. Unknown to its patrons there was a secret room under the store that Bon Bon wouldn’t even let her best friends know about. Though, to be fair her friends didn’t know her real name either. This room was hidden behind a door that would only open in response to her unique hoofprint.

Identification Special Agent Sweetie Drops,” stated a disembodied voice as the door scanned Bon Bon’s hoof.

The door opened and Sweetie Drops entered the room. She walked past shelf after shelf filled with various gadgets and disguises such as grappling hooks and sunglasses until she found a drawer labeled magical receivers. Sliding the drawer upon she pulled out a small, enchanted object resembling the chocolate balls she’d given Jack the day before. She’d been hoping to measure the intensity of his chaos magic.

Clicking a button on the device she watched as a holographic panel projected from within.

SUBJECT: JACKSON DELANO JAGER JR

MONSTER SIGNATURES DETECTED IN PROXIMITY: 3

DESEGNATE: DRACONEQUUS 9999 MI, DEMON PONY 567 MI, Dragon 124 MI

Draconequus and dragon signatures were of no surprise to Sweetie Drops. She’d been warned that Jack’s magic signature would be read as Draconequus owing to the lack of human signatures in the system and close similarities between the two species' magic. The dragon of course would have to be Spike. The MI of Jack’s power was off the charts. A worry to be sure, but Sweetie Drop’s attention was caught by the second signature on the list.

“That’s impossible!” Sweetie Drops exclaimed. “The last demon pony was supposed to have been killed in Kyotack almost three hundred years ago. How can one be here?”

Rushing to a dusty bookcase, Sweetie Drops tore down a monster encyclopedia labeled A-F on the spine. Flipping to the center she searched for the entry. “Cockatrice, Cragadile, Cu Sith, Cyclops, Dahu, Demon Pony.” Reading aloud she continued, “Demon Ponies were once abundant in Neighpon. Believed to live up to 3000 years, they were an all-female species who reproduced by seducing males from more civilized races. Neighponese folklore holds that once the mating ritual was completed the males would be left to die or sometimes eaten. In their true forms, they had sharp teeth, extended bat-like wings, spike-like protrusions from their front hooves, and a thin whip-like tail with a spike at the end. They were fairly capable of disguising themselves as thestrals however, with only their tail spikes visible to give them away. The last confirmed Demon Pony was killed in Kyotack on April 16, 703 AYP, but there have been rumors of a daughter surviving the attack. It is unknown if this daughter is alive or if she ever existed, to begin with.”

It may not be what she was assigned, but Sweetie Drop’s decided it was worth looking into. Besides for the MI readings to be so strong, there must’ve been physical contact between the two.

Fluttershy’s Cottage

As was tradition for Jack on the day after Halloween, he was now gorging himself on his sack of candy. While he was enjoying himself immensely, Fluttershy and Angel looked on with worry and disgust respectively.

Just as Jack was about to scarf down his eighth chocolate bar, there was a knock on the door. Fluttershy opened it to find an exhausted Pinkie, singing with her pet alligator Gummy on her head as Sakura irritably stood behind her.

“It won't be the same without you,” Pinkie panted, “So we hope that you say yes. So, please, oh please R.S.V.P., And come, and be our guest!” Exhausted she collapsed after the last line.

“Oh, my,” Fluttershy said. “Are you alright, Pinkie?”

“I-I’m fine,” Pinkie wheezed.

Fluttershy invited Pinkie and Sakura inside and went to grab them a snack.

“What’s all this about, Pinks?” Jack asked.

“It’s…” Pinkie panted. “It’s Gummy’s birthday today. I want you to come… to the party.”

“Your alligator?” Jack asked, glancing at the reptile on Pinkie’s head.

“That’s right,” Pinkie said with a nod.

“Oh, we’d be happy to go!” Fluttershy said as she arrived with a daisy sandwich and a glass of water.

Sugar Cube Corner

A few hours later Jack and the Mane Six converged on Sugar Cube Corner for the party. The bakery was decked out for the occasion. There were streamers, a tub for apple bobbing, a punch bowl, and a record player playing party tunes.

Rarity made her way over to the punch bowl, while Applejack and Rainbow Dash went to bob apples, and Twilight and Fluttershy jammed out by the record player. Jack on the other hand noticed Sakura in the corner looking glum.

Grabbing two cups of punch he went to talk to her “How’s it going, Saki?” Jack asked.

“I’m ok, Jack-sama,” Sakura answered half-heartedly. Ever since the night before she’d been conflicted about her orders. “Naze? I’ve never questioned Oto-san’s orders before. Kawaī stallions have always been a distraction, but something’s different about Jack-sama. Maybe it’s just that we both know what it’s like to be rejected by those around us. My element is Yokubō. I can’t possibly be Ren'ai-chū.

Jack was confused. Sakura seemed to be hiding her face from him. It was strange, but he didn’t know whether to pry. Instead, he found himself staring at her, her purple mane, her pink fur, her cutie mark. Now that one was interesting, he’d never taken much time to think about those marks on the ponies' flanks before. He knew they were representations of a pony's special talents and that they magically appeared once a pony figured out their purpose in life, but he’d never really pondered on what any individual mark meant. Some were obvious of course, the Apple family all had apples in some form or another, but the mail mare had a bubble cutie mark. He’d not the foggiest clue what that meant, nor did he know what the flaming hearts on Sakura’s flanks represented.

He might have stared for another few minutes if he didn’t remember exactly what area of the body he was looking at. Whipping his head away he inhaled his punch in a single gulp, as his cheeks flushed the color of ripened bell pepper.

Desperate for anything else to pay attention to his eyes locked onto Rarity spitting her punch into a potted plant. “Now that’s unusually unladylike of her,” Jack thought. His gaze drifted to the table where Gummy had submerged himself in the punchbowl. “Pfffft!” he spat the punch out at once, wiping his tongue with his palms as if to remove the flavor. The small gator hadn’t been in the bowl when he got his cup, but there was no telling if this was the first time he’d been there.

“C'mon, everypony!” Pinkie shouted as she and the other ponies gathered around Gummy. “Gummy wants to dance! Go, Gummy! It's your birthday! Go, Gummy! It's your birthday!”

Not knowing what else to say to Sakura, Jack went to dance with the others for the next few hours. When the party was over the Sun had long since set.

“Hoo-wee!” Applejack exclaimed as they left the building. “Ah am beat! I haven't danced that much since... Well, since your last party. Thanks again for the invite!”

“See ya later, birthday alligator!” Rainbow called.

“Bravo for hosting yet another delightful soiree,” Rarity said.

“It's been lovely,” Fluttershy agreed.

“You sure you don't wanna stay?” Pinkie asked from the upstairs window. “There's still some cake left.”

“No thanks, Pinks!” Jack called. “I’m supposed to tutor Scootaloo tomorrow!”

“I think I'm gonna pass too,” Twilight said. “Great party though. We should do this again soon.”

Once they were far enough away Fluttershy asked Jack a question, “How could you agree to tutor Scootaloo tomorrow when we’re supposed to be throwing Pinkie’s surprise party?”

“I didn’t,” Jack answered. “I’m doing that on Tuesday after I vote. I just needed an excuse so she wouldn’t try to keep us there all night. We have a lot of prep for tomorrow and I’d like to get a decent sleep first.”

November 2, 2020

Sugarcube Corner

Pinkie’s party plans hadn’t come to fruition. Sakura hadn’t been in the mood for another party, Jack had agreed to tutor Scootaloo, Twilight had studying to do, Applejack had more work, Rarity had sullied her mane, while Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had to cave sit for a bear.

“Something strange is definitely going on around here, Gummy,” Pinkie said. “Sure Jack had to tutor Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had to house-sit for that vacationing bear, but what are the chances all my other friends would have plans this afternoon too? Rarity has to wash her hair? Applejack has to pick apples? Twilight is behind on her studies and has to hit the books? The more I think about it, the more those are starting to sound like...” staring out the window she gasped “excuses!”

Her suspicions seemed to be confirmed by the sight of Twilight tiptoeing past her window to meet with Jack. At the entrance to Sugar Cube Corner. “That doesn't look like studying... or hitting!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Doesn’t look like tutoring either!”

Pinkie rushed to the stairs and dangled a tin can tied to a string to listen in on the conversation.

“I don't want her to know anything about this,” she could hear Twilight say.

“That could ruin everything,” Jack agreed.

“But... we're friends. What wouldn't they want me to know anything about?” Pinkie asked herself. “She's coming back,” she gasped.

“There you go!” Cup Cake said.

“Thanks, and remember, not a word to Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said shortly before Pinkie gelfelttug on her listening device. “Hey! What's with the tin can?”

Downstairs Jack watched in mild amusement as the string snapped and the can slammed into Twilight’s face. “We better get going before Pinks catches on,” he chuckled.

South Ponyville Residential District

Having left Sugar Cube Corner, Jack and Twilight went to rendezvous with Rarity. Sneaking their way to Carousel Boutique they knocked on the door.

Rarity carefully stepped outside. “She didn't see you at the sweet shop, did she?” she asked.

“I don't think so,” Twilight answered.

“I’m pretty sure she heard some of it,” Jack added.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“Remember that can we saw hanging in Sugarcube Corner?” Jack asked.

“Yeah, why?” Twilight asked.

“What if there were another can tied to the other end of that string?” Jack asked.

Twilight gasped. “Then somepony could… we were right below her room. How much do you think she heard?”

“No clue, but I would think it’d be best if someone were to keep an eye on her,” Jack answered.

“I agree,” Twilight said.

Carousel Boutique

Suspecting Pinkie might be following them Jack went with Rarity to the boutique. His suspicions were confirmed by a strangely placed bale of hay with one of those gag disguise glasses and a certain alligator resting conspicuously atop. With a glow from his hand, the straw scattered revealing the pink mare. She’d just missed Rarity walking inside.

“What are you doing under there, Pinks?” Jack asked.

“Why aren’t you tutoring Scootaloo?” Pinkie asked accusingly.

“Turns out I was mistaken about the date,” Jack said only half lying. “I can come to your party if you’d like.”

Were you now?” Pinkie asked suspiciously. “What about Twilight and Rarity?”

Jack had anticipated this line of questioning and already had an excuse. “Celestia sent asked us to do something sorta confidential, AJ, Flutters, and Dash don’t know about it either.”

“Then why did Twilight specifically say she didn’t want me to know about it?” Pinkie asked. “You said I’d ruin everything.”

“You know how you can be Pinks,” Jack said. “You pop out of nowhere at random times. I’m still finding confetti in places I didn’t know I had from the last time you ambushed me with your confetti canon.” Jack pulled a piece of colored paper from his lower regions for emphasis.

“Oh,” Pinkie said, seemingly thinking it over. “That makes so much sense! We can still make it to Gummy’s after-party if we hurry! Quickly!”

Thinking he’d successfully resolved the situation Jack followed Pinkie to keep her busy while their friends prepared the surprise. Unfortunately, things seldom go as planned and lies have a tendency to fall apart when evidence otherwise comes to light. That evidence came in the form of Rainbow Dash walking by nonchalantly

“Hi, Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow Dash said, before pausing in realization of her error. “Uh-oh!”

Dash rushed off and Pinkie shot Jack a ‘you lied to me’ glare before pursuing.

Knowing that trying to stop her would be futile, Jack retreated to the library to find Spike. Twilight had been working on enchanting 6 phones for the Elements to use, but the process had been slow, and Spike was still the only reliable way to get in contact with anyone.

Golden Oak Library

To Jack’s dismay Pinkie somehow managed to get to Spike first, in hindsight stopping to help Granny Smith cross the street was a poor decision. The old mare neither wanted nor needed the help and wound-up bashing Jack over the head with her bag resulting in the Crusaders who were nearby deciding now was the time to get their trauma surgeon cutie marks. Having spent a good half hour running and hiding from the girls to protect his precious brain matter he rushed to the library as soon as he gave them the slip.

Seeing Pinkie was taking Spike somewhere, Jack decided to cut them off at the most likely location.

Sugarcube Corner

Having put some distance between himself and Pinkie, Jack had some time to prepare. Seeing Sakura sitting at the counter.

“Hey, Saki!” Jack exclaimed, not noticing the glum look on her face as she looked up. “I don’t suppose you’d be willing to help me out with a little something?”

“Nani?” Sakura asked.

Jack explained about Pinkie’s surprise party and the misunderstanding they were having.

“So you think she’s bringing Spike-chan here to force the truth from him?” Sakura asked.

“Pretty much,” Jack nodded.

Just then Pinkie busted through the door with Spike.

“Pinks I can explain!” Jack shouted.

“Be quiet!” Pinkie snapped as she began gathering every gem she could find.

“Pinky-sama…” Sakura started.

“I should’ve known you’d side with this Quisling, Sakura!” Pinkie said accusingly.

At first, Jack thought about asking how Pinkie knew the phrase Quisling, the origin of that word as an insult came from Vidkun Quisling who ran the collaborationist government of Nazi-occupied Norway but given the circumstance he refrained. Besides even in a more amicable state Pinkie more than likely would have simply dismissed the question by calling it a secret.

“Wow! Nice spread!” Spike exclaimed starry-eyed as Pinkie laid the bowl of precious stones in front of him.

“It's all yours, Spike,” Pinkie said before she shined a lamp in his face and Gummy clamped down on Spike’s tail preventing his escape. “All you have to do is talk.”

Not understanding the implication Spike began discussing the weather as he reached for the gem bowl. Not having any of it Pinkie swiped the bowl out of reach.

“Isn’t this a little extreme?” Jack asked from the sideline.

“Shove it, Benedict Arnold!” Pinkie shouted, again referencing a human traitor.

“Kowai,” Sakura muttered.

“No, no, no,” Pinkie said pushing the light towered Spike’s face. “Talk about our friends.”

Again, Spike misunderstood and began listing how he felt about their friends.

“Grr!” Pinkie growled. “No! You're not understanding me! I want you to confess!”

“Confess?” Spike asked as Jack frantically motioned for him to zip his lips.

“Confess!” Pinkie shouted.

“I'm the one who spilled juice all over Twilight's copy of Magical Mysteries and Practical Potions!” Spike admitted.

“And?” Pinkie asked.

“And I'm the one who used up all the hot water in Ponyville yesterday when I took a seven-hour bubble bath!” Spike said.

“THAT WAS YOU!!!!!!!” Jack roared. “I outa turn you intuh a pair of boots!”

“Aaand!!!?” Pinkie asked.

“And sometimes... when no one's around... I do this,” Spike pulled over a mirror and began to flex. “Lookin' good, Spike! Lookin' real good!”

Jack snorted having pulled out his phone to film the moment he saw Spike reach for the mirror. “Oh, this’ll so serve you right for making me take a cold shower.”

“No! No! No! No!” Pinkie screamed.

Much like an innocent suspect back in the States the aggressive grilling Pinkie had subjected Spike to was enough to get him to admit to almost anything to make it stop. “W-What do you wanna hear? Tell me what you want me to say, and I'll say it!”

“Tell me that my friends are all lying to me and avoiding me because they don't like my parties and they don't want to be my friends anymore!” Pinkie screamed panting like she’d run a marathon.

Spike cracked and said just that, as Jack buried his face in his palms.

“Aha! I knew it!” Pinkie exclaimed. Her hair deflated like a balloon once it hit her what that meant. “Oh no, my friends don't like my parties and they don't want to be my friends anymore.”

“Pinks no that’s not…” Jack said as Pinkie slid the gems over to Spike and glumly walked into a corner, “not it.”

As Spike left with his prize Pinkie began gathering items from around the shop and started doing something, disturbing. She fashioned them into imaginary friends and began acting as if they were party guests, voicing them like a little girl playing tea party.

“ENOUGH OF THIS!” Jack shouted. “Pinks we aren’t trying to avoid you because we dislike you! Do you have any idea what today is?”

“The day after Gummy’s birthday,” Pinky answered angrily.

“It’s Your birthday, Pinks,” Jack sighed. “We just wanted to surprise you.”

Pinkie stared blankly at Jack for a few seconds before her lips began to twitch.

“Pinks?” Jack asked.

Pinkie’s mane poofed up as her face was engulfed in a smile. “OHMYGOSHICOMPLETELYFORGOTITWASMYBIRTHDAYI’MSOSORRYFORDOUBTINGYOULET’SGO!” she exclaimed bursting out the door.

Sweet Apple Acres

Pinkie had figured out where to go thanks to her following Rainbow Dash to the Apple’s barn earlier that day. When she, Jack, and Sakura arrived they explained what had happened. The girls were disappointed the surprise had been ruined but understood why Jack had to reveal the secret.

As the festivities began, Jack asked Sakura if she’d like to stay for the party, but was disappointed with her answer.

“I’m not in the mood right now, Jack-sama,” Sakura said. “I think I need to be alone for a while.”

“I…” Jack started as Sakura left. “I hope you get better soon. Maybe then you’d like to do something together,” Jack blushed, “just us? I hear there’s a new ice cream stand that opened up near the park.”

“Maybe,” Sakura said holding back a sob.

Sugarcube Corner

Oni-Hime buried her face in her pillow as the waterworks began. Two days that’s all that she had left. Tomorrow Equestria would go to the polls, and the day after was the Gala. She knew what she was expected to do and she was resolved to do it, but that didn’t change the fact Jack likely would hate her for the rest of his life once she’d done it.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. So much has happened since March. I moved to start my new job as an assistant park ranger, I had to get my power steering, tires, a wheel bearing, car battery, and brakes replaced, and I still have a bushing on one of my struts that needs work. I couldn't find a sublettor so I had to pay three months' rent to leave my old apartment, I started donating plasma because I spent all my savings moving and getting my car fixed, and my new apartment cut off the internet because some moron was illegally downloading movies without using a VPN. I'm only able to upload now because I paid to have internet installed for just my unit and am charging my roommates to use it.

Next Time: As it comes time to vote, Sakura struggles to justify her obedience to her father and Sweetie Drops closes in on her.

PreviousChapters Next