• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Everypony Needs a Home (Last Edited: 8/11/2022)

April 16, 1723

Unknown

It was a clear morning in a mountainous Neighponese village. Oni-Hime happily strolled through the streets past the wooden buildings carrying a bucket of water. Her mother had requested she fetch the water, and on a beautiful morning like this, Oni-Hime had no complaints. She breathed in the pleasant scents of spring as she listened to the bush warblers sing their morning songs and watched the barn swallows dart between the blooming plum and cherry trees. As she drew closer to her home, she could see smoke rising from in the distance. She picked up her pace until she could see her house lit up like a spruce tree.

Angry villagers surrounded the flames chanting in Neighponese, "akuma o issō seyo! Mura o jōka seyo!"

“Okaasan!” Oni-Hime shrieked.

August 14, 2020

Everfree Forest

Oni-Hime slowly opened her eyes. She wasn’t in her village anymore. Getting up from her makeshift futon, she fished a scroll out of her bag, unrolling it and revealing a portrait of an older Neighponese mare with the same bat wings and devil tail as her. Reaching back into the bag, she pulled out two sticks and two pieces of quartz. She stuck the two sticks into the ground and began striking the quartz pieces together until the tips of the sticks had lit, releasing a fragrant smoke. Carefully, she then placed the portrait between the two pieces of incense and put her hooves together in prayer. Once her prayer was finished, she disassembled her shrine and poked her head out of her shelter.

Blutknochen was not the least bit happy with what had happened in the human cemetery and rather than speak with her directly via the water pool. He had chosen to send Løgner to discuss his grievances with her.

Looking around the camp, she let out a sigh. “What is Otōsan thinking?” she wondered. “Why would he send Løgner of all ponies? He’s just going to lie about my explanation and make me sound incompetent.”

Oni-Hime let out another sigh as she began the preparations for her breakfast.

Half an Hour Later

As Oni-Hime was finishing her breakfast, Løgner emerged from the brush.

“Hallo, Oni-Hime,” he said.

“Ohayō Gozaimasu, Løgner,” Oni-Hime sighed.

“You know why I’m here, ja?” Løgner asked.

“Hai.”

“Must be difficult having your father so disappointed in you…”

“Damare! Get to the point!” Oni-Hime snapped. “And none of your lies!”

“Ah, ok, Blutknochen isn’t too pleased with your recent bungelen,” Løgner answered. “Was that honest enough for you?”

“And why couldn’t Otō-san tell me this himself?” Oni-Hime asked. "Surely he knows I can't control his every action."

“He’s angry,” Løgner answered. “Part of your job is to keep tabs on Jager. You should have at least warned Morte. Thanks to you, vi have been exposed. Now he has to alter his plans,” he explained with a smirk. “If you don’t find a way to make up for your failure, I doubt you’ll be alive much longer.”

“That’s a lie! Otō-san would never do that!” Oni-Hime shouted angrily.

“How can you tell?” Løgner asked with a smirk. “Maybe I’m lying, and maybe I’m not.”

True to his element, Løgner was probably the best liar in all of Equus. Only Blutknochen could ever truly see through his facade. Nevertheless, Oni-Hime would not let herself believe what her colleague was saying. Her father was the only family she had. He might be cold and stern with her, but Oni-Hime truly believed her father cared for her deep down. Her mother had described Blutknochen as a kind and caring soul, and the demon pony refused to allow that image to be shattered.

“There is en other thing.”

“Nani?”

“Have you gained his trust?” Løgner asked. “The human, I mean.”

“Hai, I believe I have.”

“Vel then, I believe that vil be all,” Løgner said. “Adjø, Oni-Hime,” he said, disappearing into the woods.

Golden Oak Library

Jack hadn't found the time to discuss his training with friends the day before but had promised to go into detail today. As such, Spike and the Mane Six eagerly gathered at the library to hear his story.

“This story is going to be awesome!” Spike exclaimed excitedly.

“About that…” Jack started. “I’m going to need you to leave, Spike.”

"What!?" Spike asked in protest. "Why!?"

“Some of what Jack plans to say is classified,” Shining Armor said officially. “The Elements of Harmony have clearance. You do not. The only reason you even know about Jack being a soldier is because you’re a secure liaison.”

“Aww, that’s no fair!” Spike complained.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure Jack will totally be willing to give you the non-classified version later,” Shining Armor said with a smile.

“Fine,” Spike huffed as he walked out of the room.

Once Spike was out of the room, Jack cleared his throat. “Ok, where should I start?”

“The entire town's already heard the Crusader’s version of what happened in the Lowcountry,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Although, it’s rather obvious that they’ve exaggerated quite a bit,” Rarity added. “Twilights filled us in on part of the story so, we’d certainly appreciate you filling us in on the rest of it.”

“That’s something I’d like to hear as well,” Twilight agreed. “You went off on your own shortly before the revenants showed up.”

Of all the things that had happened, this was the thing Jack was least interested in discussing. He knew mentioning his emotional breakdown at Svan Jager’s grave would bring unwanted questions from his friends. Questions about home...
questions about his family. Pinkie’s intervention had almost put a stop to the dreams, but his guilt hadn’t gone away. To make matters worse, he had a strange feeling that there was something he was overlooking, something big that would prevent him from ever getting the chance to make things right even if he did return home. He just couldn’t, or to be more accurate, he refused to think of what it was, and any line of questioning that might have led him there was unwelcome.

“I was, uh, honoring my ancestors,” Jack answered with a weak smile. “I was visiting the grave of my great great great grandfather when he and all the others around him rose from their graves.”

Jack explained how he fought through the graveyard to reach Twilight and the Crusaders. “When I arrived, I found that Twilight had already collapsed, and the necromancer was moving in for the final blow.”

“What did you do?” Pinkie asked nervously, biting her hooves.

“Apple Bloom said ya wrestled that varmint tuh the ground,” Applejack said.

“Sweetie Belle told me you made him disintegrate with a glare,” said Rarity. “She has quite the imagination.”

“I pulled my gun out and shot him in the leg,” Jack answered plainly.

After some initial confusion, Twilight explained the concept of firearms to the other ponies.

“Ohhhh, it’s that thingy you tried to use on the dragon!” Pinkie realized.

From there, Jack regaled his friends to the best of his ability as to what had occurred, from the terrifying truck drive to him learning to control his magic.

“Mind giving us a little demonstration of this Chaos of Nature?” Rarity asked.

“Sure thing,” Jack said. “But there’s something you need to hear first.”

“Something we need to hear?” Twilight asked, suspecting this might be why Spike was asked to leave.

“On our way back to Ponyville, Celestia told me about the pony who attacked us,” Jack explained. “He’s a powerful necromancer named Morte who works for an organization called the Elements of Chaos.”

Jack explained how the Elements of Chaos wanted to use his magic for an unknown purpose and that they were essentially the opposite of the Elements of Harmony.

“You don’t suppose they could end up attacking Ponyille, do you?” Rarity nervously asked.

“It’s possible,” Shining Armor admitted.

Upon hearing this, Rarity dramatically fainted onto a nearby couch.

"That's why we must be vigilant from now on," Shining Armor said. "We have no idea what they want, what they're capable of, or how to stop them."

“For an organization to be this old, I can’t believe I’ve never read about them,” Twilight said.

“The Princesses have worked hard to keep knowledge of their existence from the general public,” Shining Armor explained. “It’s not that surprising they aren’t in any of your books.”

“Still, there must be some way for us to find more information,” Twilight pondered.

“I think…” Jack began as he remembered the poison joke incident. “I think Zecora might know something. After giving us the antidote for poison joke, she said something about there being devastation if someone found out about me. I think she may have been referring to Blutknochen.”

“We should ask her now!” Rainbow Dash shouted. “If she knows something about the Elements of Chaos, we need to find out!”

“Ah agree!” Applejack said. “If there’s a chance we can learn somethin' from Zecora, we need tuh take it.”

“You’re absolutely right,” Twilight nodded. “I think we should give Zecora a visit.”

Everfree Forest

Upon learning that Zecora lived in the forest, Shining Armor insisted that Twilight stay home to not strain her legs. She reluctantly agreed to this, and Jack left the library with the rest of the Mane Six.

As they trudged through the woods, they didn't notice that Pinkie was falling behind.

She had found her attention being caught by a familiar shudder. “Ooohhh, that’s a doozy!” she thought, looking into trees. Something was calling to her in that direction, and she intended to find out what.

Zecora’s Hut

By the time the rest of the Mane Six and Jack arrived at Zecora's hut, Pinkie was long gone, and they were none the wiser. Jack knocked on the door, and Zecora let them in.

“This meeting is long overdue. Come in. I’ve been expecting you," greeted Zecora.

Everfree Forest

Pinkie Pie continued on through the brush as her shudders gradually increased in intensity.“This is the biggest doozy I’ve ever felt!

As Pinkie stepped into a clearing, the shudders abruptly stopped. Lookin around, she could see a well-built lean-to and a fire pit, still billowing smoke from its last use. “Why would anypony want to go camping in the Everfree Forest?” she wondered as she moved to investigate the shelter.

As she looked into the shelter, she was shocked to come face to face with a young filly, no older than Apple Bloom.

“Anatahadare?” the filly asked.

“Watashi wa, Pinkie Pie.”

“You speak Neighponies?”

“A little,” Pinkie Pie confirmed. “You’re that new student, right?”

“Hai, I started a couple of weeks ago.”

“Where are your parents?” Pinkie asked. “They really should know better than to bring a filly your age camping in the forest.”

“They’re, um..." the filly paused, thinking up a lie, "haikingu.”

“How long do you think they’ll be gone?”

“They should be back in a few minutes.”

"Guess I'll just have to wait here until they get back," Pinkie decided. “What’s your name, little filly?”

“Sakura Blossom.”

“Nice to meet ya, Sakura!” Pinkie said, extending a hoof. "I'll stay here with you until your parents get back."

“Th-that won’t be necessary,” Sakura Blossom stuttered.

“I can’t just leave a little filly alone in the forest,” Pinkie insisted. “That would just be irresponsible.”

“Listen, Pinkie Pie...” Sakura requested.

“Yes?” Pinkie asked.

“I can take care of myself,” Sakura said as her eyes flashed hot pink.

“Nope,” Pinkie stated simply.

Zecora’s Hut

“An ancient evil that has plagued all races, the Elements of Chaos are known to zebras of all faces,” Zecora said to Jack and the Mane Six.

“If they’re so well known, then why haven’t any of us heard about them until now?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“The blame lies on the sisters two, for they have chosen to keep it from you,” Zecora answered.

“You don’t mean?” gasped Rarity.

“The Princesses have been keeping knowledge of the Elements of Chaos from the Equestrian population,” Jack confirmed. “Just like they kept the knowledge of humanity from you. Didn’t you figure that out from what Shining Armor told us earlier?”

“Ah, suppose this is jus' a little hard to swallow,” Applejack said. “Princess Celestia has always been a kind and caring ruler. Ah know yer tellin' the truth and Ah still find it hard to believe.”

“Push that way of thinking aside,” Zecora requested. “I have more knowledge to provide.”

“We’re all ears then,” Jack said.

“While I cannot recite each pony’s name, I can reveal their claims to fame,” Zecora said.

“So, you’re saying you don’t know their names, but you can tell us what they're good at?” Jack asked, unsure who to interpret what had just been said.

Zecora nodded. “When it comes to evil, he’s among the worst, for he’s responsible for all things cursed.”

She must be talking about Blutknochen,” Jack noted.

Zecora continued. “Her comrades without remorse she'll betray. Her illness is her mainstay.”

“She doesn’t sound all that tough,” Rainbow Dash stated cockily.

“Of lies and deceit, he is the king. Your mind to him is a puppet’s string.”

“This one sounds like a real troublemaker,” Applejack said to herself.

“Greed’s turned his blood to green from red, and now he’s master of the dead.”

“That must be that Morte ruffian who attacked Twilight and the girls,” Rarity said with disgust.

“Easily roused his wrathful ire, be extra wary of his hellfire.”

“He, um, sounds kind of scary,” Fluttershy said quietly.

“On the heart, she’ll take a toll. Love and lust are hers to control.”

Oni-Hime’s Campsite

It had been almost 15 minutes, and Sakura Blossom’s parents had yet to show up. Pinkie Pie was beginning to worry. She couldn’t very well leave the young filly there, but her friends were no doubt starting to notice her disappearance.

While Pinkie weighed her options, Sakura frustratingly thought of ways to get rid of the nosy earth pony. Not paying attention, she bumped into the wall of her shelter, overturning her bag, revealing her mother's portrait and several sticks of incense.

Pinkie had done some research for a Neighponese-themed party and knew exactly what she was looking at when she saw the portrait. That’s when it finally dawned on her. “This isn’t a campsite. She’s been living here on her own!

Sakura stared wide-eyed like a deer in a headlight.

“Your parents aren’t coming, are they?” Pinkie asked.

“Of course they are!” Sakura bluffed.

“That’s your mother, right?” Pinkie asked, pointing to the portrait.

Realizing there was no getting out of it, Sakura Blossom sighed. “Hai.”

“Have you been living here on your own?” Pinkie asked.

“Hai,” Sakura admitted.

Pinkie Pie put a hoof up to her chin and closed her eyes in deep thought. “EUREKA!” she shouted as Sakura watched with a large sweat drop on her head.

“You could come live with the Cakes!” Pinkie exclaimed. “They have a couple of empty rooms, and I’m sure they wouldn’t turn you down if you agree to help out around the shop.”

Everfree Forest

Having gotten what little information they could from Zecora, Jack and the Mane Six were on their way back to town.

“That wasn’t much help,” Rainbow Dash huffed.

“Oh, I don’t think that’s true,” Fluttershy said quietly. “Zecora gave us all the information she could, and we should be grateful.”

“Besides, Ah’d say the information Zecora gave us was plenty valuable,” Applejack agreed.

“Indeed, cryptic as she may be, I’m sure she was revealing their abilities,” Rarity said.

“I wrote everything she said down,” Jack said. “I’m betting Twilight could make more sense of it.”

“It seems a bit quiet, doesn’t it?” asked Rarity.

“Yeah,” Jack said. “I haven’t heard an annoying question, pun, or song the entire trip, and there’s been a pleasant lack of confetti projectiles being launched at me. Wonderful, ain’t it?”

“PINKIE!” the Mane Six shouted at once.

“She went off into the woods like two hours ago,” Jack said. “You’re just now noticing she’s gone?”

“You saw her leave, and you didn’t tell us?” asked Rarity with a glare.

“Pinks’ an adult, and you didn’t ask,” Jack responded. “She’ll be fine.”

Oni-Hime’s Campsite

“You have all your stuff, Sakura?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Hai.”

Sakura had given up trying to weasel her way out of this. Pinkie Pie wasn’t falling for her curse, and she couldn’t very well kill her as that would undoubtedly draw a search party into the forest. Besides, an actual bed would be a nice change.

“Then let’s go!” Pinkie cheerfully shouted.

A few minutes later, the two reached the trail and could hear Pinkie’s friends calling out for her.

“I’M HERE EVERYPONY!” Pinkie shouted.

Rainbow Dash was the first to the scene. “Are you alright, Pinkie?” she asked as she burst through the trees.

“I’m fine, Dashie,” Pinkie replied.

“I told you she’d be fine,” Jack said as he and the other ponies caught up.

“Pinkie?” Rarity asked upon seeing Sakura. “Who’s this?”

“What are you doing out here, Sakura?” Jack asked.

“Ā, Konnichiwa, Jack-Sama,” Sakura greeted.

“Everypony, I want you to meet Sakura Blossom,” Pinkie Pie introduced. “She’s been living alone in the forest.”

“WHAT!” everyone, including Jack, exclaimed.

“That’s awful!” Rarity gasped.

“You poor thing, that must’ve been terrifying,” Fluttershy agreed.

“What about her parents?” Applejack asked.

“I don’t have any,” Sakura admitted sadly.

Jack and the Mane Six offered words of sympathy, and they headed back to Ponyville. Once they reached town, they parted ways as Pinkie took Sakura to the town hall to get all the adoption paperwork handled.

Author's Note:

Well, this took me long enough.
Next Time: The day after taking Sakura Blossom, Pinkie Pie begins exhibiting behaviors that defy logic and reason, and despite her injuries, Twilight decides she must get to the bottom of it.

PreviousChapters Next