• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 5,018 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 5,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: What the Oppressed see as Equality the Privileged see as Tyranny (Last Edited: 10/2/2022)

September 2, 2020

Canterlot Castle: Royal Court Room

Blue Blood sighed as he entered the courtroom. "Why would Auntie Celestia call an emergency meeting now?" he wondered. "Sure, the arson attacks on the frontier are somewhat troubling, but the E.U.P. should be able to handle that on their own." Climbing up to the nobility box, he took his seat next to Princess Luna.

Once all representatives were seated, Celestia made her opening statement. "I know many of you are curious as to why we are gathering today. For nearly a millennia, this court has met exactly like this. The exact same procedures, the exact same powers, and the exact same structure. All of which I have come to see as outdated."

The normal silence from non-speaking representatives was broken as the room erupted into confused murmurs from those outside of the Order of the Yellow Rose.

"I recently came across an outline for a different form of government," Celestia continued once the murmurs had died down. "One made up of representatives elected by the population as a whole, where everypony has the exact same rights guaranteed to them, one where the concept of class would be eliminated from all matters of the state. With some modifications, I have used this concept to draft a proposal to reorganize our government. Each of you shall receive a copy of my proposal to go over in the next ten hours before we put this to a vote."

With a flash of Celestia's horn, 15 stacks of documents appeared in front of each of the other representatives.

As the hours past most representatives outside the order read the proposal with a mix of rage and dismay.

"She wants to allow nonponies full citizenship!?" Hoity Toity fumed.

"E.U.P. recruitment is to be open to all ponies, and all special status for soldiers is to be revoked," Flash Sentry read. "This is outrageous!"

"Schools will be open to all students regardless of species," Filthy Rich read. "I will not have my daughter studying alongside filthy cows and thuggish minitours!"

"All businesses will be taxed at the same rate regardless of the class status of the owner, and all employees must be paid a minimum wage of at least 20 bits," Cherry Jubilee read. "How am I meant to pay the additions to my plantation house now? And what's this about interclass marriage?" She cast a quick glare at Cherry Berry.

"The executive role of head of state and government shall be given to a president elected for no more than two terms of four years via popular vote among all adult Equestrian citizens choosing to cast ballots," Blue Blood read, gritting his teeth. "Legislative authority will be granted a body of two chambers, a lower House of Representatives elected from 87 districts whose boundaries are to be drawn to represent approximately 100,000 residents each, and an upper Senate drawing two senators from each province. Judicial authority will be granted two a Supreme Court of twelve judges appointed by the president for life. The role of the diarchy will be limited to ceremonial duties, including but not limited to the raising and lowering of the celestial bodies and diplomatic visits."

After ten hours of careful study, it came time for the vote. The more conservative candidates were frustrated at having their day wasted, but they were confident there was no chance of the proposal passing.

"Auntie Celestia's gone crazy!" Blue Blood thought. "Why else would she propose such a worthless idea as if it might pass?"

"This proposal reeks of Three Arrow's idealism," Flash Sentry thought. "The Iron Front may be a war hero, but he's gone soft. He should have retired years ago."

"What a waste of an afternoon," Filthy Rich thought.

"I'd rather be overseeing my production plants than dealing with this nonsense," Cheery Jubilee thought.

"I could call in my favor from Shining Armor," thought Hoity Toity. "But what would be the point? It's not like he'd ever go for this nonsense."

Shining Armor stared at the document in front of him intently. Usually, he would have rejected such a proposal without question. But something was bugging him.

"To me, it's just a job some people choose to have."

"I don't understand," Shining Armor muttered as Jack's words echoed in his head.

"I didn't really expect you to."

"Was he right?" Shining Armor asked himself. "Is soldier really no more than a job? This proposal goes against everything I grew up believing, so why am I so conflicted?"

Princess Celestia cleared her throat. "Would anypony like to make a statement before we vote?" she asked.

No one said a word.

"Excellent," Celestia said. "All those in favor of the proposal raise your hooves."

All three princesses, all four peasants, Fancy Pants, Spitfire, and Three Arrows raised their hooves.

"I do believe that we have a majority," Celestia said as the conservatives looked on in shock. "This meeting is adjourn…"

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!" shouted Prince Blue Blood.

"Hold your tongue, Blueblood," Three Arrows sneered. "The matter has been decided."

"This is your doing!" Flash Sentry accused.

"I'm quite certain I don't know what you mean," Three Arrows denied.

"You've been spouting your ideals to the princesses for years now," Filthy Rich said. "I'm not sure what you did to trick them into supporting this nonsense, but I assure you it won't stand."

"Come on now, Y'all lost fair an' square," Apple Fritter said. "There's no sense in actin' like spoiled foals."

"How dare you speak to your betters like that!" Hoity Toity hissed. "Your family is a disgrace!"

"Why don't you leave her alone?!" Cherry Berry shouted. "What makes you so much better than the Apple Family?!"

"The same thing that makes you inferior to the rest of our family," Cherry Jubilee shouted. "Associating with peasants! Although I suppose you're far worse than she could ever be, considering you bucked one! A mare of your status, and you threw it all away for some lowlife!"

"SILENCE!!!!!!" Luna roared in the Royal Canterlot Voice.

All bickering came to an abrupt stop.

"As of this moment, there are no peasants, nor are there any nobles," Celestia stated. "Business ponies and members of the E.U.P. will no longer receive any special treatment. This court will exist as the governing body of Equestria until November 3 when we hold elections for the new government."

September 3, 2020

Ponyville Town Square

The Sun had only risen an hour ago, and yet every resident of Ponyville had been summoned to the town square. This was unusual outside emergencies, and the ponies nervously whispered to each other as they waited for the mayor to come out of the town hall.

"What do ya s'pose the mayor wants tuh tell us?" Apple Bloom questioned.

"Ah'm not sure, but Ah reckon it ain't anythin' good," Applejack answered.

"Eyup," Big Mac nodded.

"Ooh, my joints are stiff," Granny smith complained.

"Are we being attacked?" Sweetie Belle asked nervously.

"Of course not, darling," Rarity said. "If we were under attack, they'd have asked us to evacuate already."

"I can't see!" Scootaloo complained as she tried to look over the crowd in front of her.

"Let me help you with that, squirt," Rainbow Dash offered, letting Scootaloo climb on her back.

"Thanks, Rainbow Dash!"

The mayor finally walked outside and up to the podium. "I'd like to thank everypony for being here today," she said nervously. "This morning, I received a letter from Princess Celestia regarding yesterday's meeting of the Royal Court. I have been instructed to inform you that as of last night, the class system has been abolished. From now on, all peasants, soldiers, business ponies, and nobility will be treated as equals under the law."

A few in the crowd erupted into cheers, but most of the residents stayed silent. Ponyville was unusual as far as Equestria went. The only ponies in the town who weren't peasant class were the Riches and the Spoons, who were business ponies, and Twilight Sparkle, who was military class thanks to her brother's position in the E.U.P. As far as peasants went, the average Ponyvillian was wealthy and well-off. Sure, taxes were a pain, but no one had any real trouble paying them. There were no slums like in Canterlot, nor were there any sweatshops like in Manehatten or Cloudsdale. To most in the town, this information made little difference.

"Furthermore, the princesses will be stepping down as rulers of Equestria, and the Royal Court will be dissolved," Mayor Mare announced. "Elections will be held on November 3 for a new government. All Equestrian citizens above the age of 18 are encouraged to vote."

"No way," Spike gasped.

Twilight stood with her mouth agape.

"Oh my," Fluttershy said meekly.

"I didn't think the order would act so quickly," Jack thought. "I hope they know what they're doing."

"What do you think this will mean for the foal?" Cup Cake whispered to Carrot Cake.

"I'm not sure, honey," Carrot cake whispered back.

"I knew there would be a doozie today!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Oto-san will want to hear about this," Oni-Hime thought to herself.

Apple Bloom looked up to her family. "Does this mean Ah don' have tuh suck up tuh Diamond Tiara every time the Riches come to us with a business deal?"

"Eyup," Big Mac nodded.

"Ah think we might have a bit more negotiatin' power now," Applejack said.

"We've been strugglin' to get by ever since we lost our business class status," Granny Smith said, a tear in her right eye. "Ah jus' wish Bright Mac an' Pear Butter could have seen this. It's what they always wanted."

As Celestia walked down from the stage she found Shining Armor waiting for her and greeted him with her usual warm smile. "It's good to see you, Captain. I hope you enjoyed your vacation. Do you have questions about the election?"

"I do, but that can wait," Shining Armor answered. "I'm worried about these arson attacks. I was thinking it might be a good idea to build a garrison here in Ponyville."

"I understand your concern, Captain, but these attacks have all been on the frontier," Celestia dismissed. "I think it would be better to increase security there."

"But..." Shining Armor objected before thinking better of it. "I understand."

September 4, 2020

Canterlot: Blue Blood's Estate

It had been two days since the vote. While the Order of the Yellow Rose had celebrated their victory, most of the remaining representatives were still sore. Blue Blood had taken it upon himself to invite the dissatisfied representatives to his estate, a 20,000-square-foot Tudor-style mansion. Once they were all gathered in the dining room, they began their discussion.

"This is ridiculous!" Filthy Rich shouted. "The commoners can't possibly govern themselves!"

"The Princesses have gone mad!" Hoity Toity agreed. "Not only do they intend to hand this country over to the peasants, but she intends to open our borders to griffons, dragons, zebras, and…" he shuddered, "minotaurs!"

"The taxes they're proposing are ridiculous!" Cherry Berry spat. "Fifty percent for anypony who makes more than 500,000 bits per year? Our businesses are the foundation of the Equestrian economy! And the peasants only have to pay between ten and thirty percent? Most of them will be taking more out in government hoof-outs than they give back. If anything, their taxes should be raised, not ours!"

"I never thought anypony would ever take Three Arrows nonsense seriously," Flash Sentry muttered. "We can't possibly let this stand!"

"Yes, Auntie Celestia has taken this too far!" Blue Blood agreed. "But what exactly can any of us do about it now?"

"Master Blue Blood, there's somepony waiting for you in the foyer," said a butler who had just walked in.

"Why in Tartarus are you telling me this?" Blue Blood seethed. "I told you there were to be no visitors today. And what in Celestia's name is wrong with your eyes?!"

There was indeed something off about the butler's eyes. They were glassy, not unlike those of someone who had spent their entire life in a cult compound. "I really must insist that you greet this guest, Master Blue Blood."

"You insist?!" Blue Blood repeated indignantly. "You are nothing but a servant! How dare you insist I do anything! Get out of my sight!!!" he shouted, pointing at the door. "You're fired!"

The butler didn't so much as flinch. He simply stood in place, staring blankly. It was almost as if he were possessed.

"Nå nå," said a skinny green stallion as he entered the room. "Don't be så harsh. He's not exactly in control over himself at the moment."

"Who in Tartarus do you think you are, barging into my home without permission?!" Blue Blood asked furiously.

"Call me Granlogg," the stallion introduced. "Please forgive my intrusion. I read about what happened with the Royal Court and thought you might be interested in a way to retain your power."

"How could you possibly help us with that?" Filthy Rich asked.

"My boss har a great deal of knowledge of what's been happening in dette landet, and many powerful friends," Granlogg answered. "Did you know that Prinsesse Celestia and Kaptein Three Arrows have conspired with the commoners for years? They even created a secret society they call the Order of the Yellow Rose."

"I've never heard of such an organization," Flash Sentry said. "How could you possibly have intel on Three Arrows that I don't?"

"I have my ways," Granlogg said, his eyes briefly changing from amber to yellow.

"Assuming we were to believe you, what's the catch?" Hoity Toity asked.

"No catch," Granlogg answered with a smirk. "Maintaining the status quo works out in my boss's favor. All he asks is you follow his plan."

Author's Note:

Honestly, I'm not sure I did the best job building up to this chapter. I think I could do to add more to my previous chapters to show the conservative representatives' motivations better. On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure I am going to need a root canal at this point, and I'm also going to have to get the struts and sway bars replaced on my CR-V because my suspension is shot. The root canal and the car repair together will cost me $3000 at least, so I'm working extra hours to pay for it. Needless to say, this is cutting into my writing time.
Next Time: When Rarity is kidnapped by Diamond Dogs, Jack and Spike must lead a mission to rescue her.

PreviousChapters Next