• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,534 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,534

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37: Butterfly Wings

Twilight Sparkle had been working tirelessly.

It wasn’t just that their last visit had been so fruitless, though that was certainly part of it. Seeing that alien world, one apparently accustomed to frequent visits—it meant they were close. In the uncountable billions of possible variations, they’d hit a world that other explorers had visited first. That made it a significant signpost, one that promised compatible conditions for life all around it. She spent days making every possible fine variation of its coordinates, checking each equation for balance several times.

Then the new batch of drones came, and she waited eagerly for news of what they had found. She resisted the urge to be personally involved as Princess Cadance never could. She trusted her scientists and technicians. If she couldn’t do that, Flurry was lost forever.

Twilight’s trust wasn’t in vain this time. The message came that another viable candidate had been detected, this time with a positive reading from the life on the other side. A single reading wasn’t enough to prove anything, of course. But this made the first time that a probe had even come back with anything she could test.

There was no chance of the message making it back to Cadance this time. She’d sworn everypony to silence, and after the last time she had no doubt her request would actually be honored.

Twilight didn’t take long to prepare—her spells had served her well last time, and she hadn’t even needed most of them. “You’re gonna go again this time?” Spike asked, as Twilight removed her jewelry from the oil-bath she used to keep the magic from interacting from the environment.

She shook the last few drops of mineral oil back into the tub, wiping it clear with a towel. “I’m not going for Flurry Heart directly,” she said. “I’m just… confirming our preliminary results.” She levitated the card with their test-results over towards Spike, so he could see all the green checkboxes. “Cadance has an army training at Flurry’s Vigil. I don’t think it’s best for her to handle this. It might be a false alarm. Even if it isn’t, we don’t want our first contact with this place to be hostile. We don’t know what powers wait there. They could make us all look weak and feeble. They might be able to kill us with ease, and we’ll be depending entirely on their goodwill and mercy.”

Spike’s eyebrows went up. “You honestly believe that, Twi? You’re an Alicorn. Your friends took down the god of chaos, and half a dozen different invasions and evil ponies. There can’t be anything in that world that’s really dangerous to you.”

Twilight shook her head, then secured the jewelry one piece at a time. It still felt a little oily against her coat, but that wouldn’t hurt anything. She was about to walk into another universe, after all. “It’s probably safe to assume these worlds are like ours,” she said, removing her saddlebags from a hook over the desk and checking their contents. Various testing supplies and survival gear were inside, enough that she could spend the night if she needed to. She didn’t particularly expect to do that, but she needed to be prepared.

We can’t get too excited yet. It could be a false positive. Those laboratory tests were designed for ponies who can barely tell a spell from an enchantment.

“You sure you don’t want me to come?” Spike asked. “I know you don’t want to get anypony else. By the time you did, word would get out, and somepony would probably know something Cadance could find out. But I could go with you. I’m strong, I know almost as much about this universe-stuff as you do at this point! Let me come!”

Twilight opened her mouth to refuse—and couldn’t bring herself to do it. Spike hadn’t lost anyone, he had no personal connection to Flurry. But in a way, that made him ideal. He wasn’t just objective, he was a dragon. Magic would affect them both differently. Maybe if they were lucky, it would make whoever they encountered think they’d come from separate worlds.

She could already see Spike’s expression brightening at her silence. He knew she was about to let him do it.

Before he could start celebrating, Twilight raised a wing. “If I bring you, you’re going to follow every instruction I give exactly,” she said. “It doesn’t matter how strange it seems, or how pointless. It doesn’t matter if you disagree. You stay close to me, and you follow directions.”

“I can do that!” Spike beamed. “I’ve basically been doing that since I hatched, Twi.” He lowered his voice. “Weeks of keeping records, and it’s finally Spike’s turn to go on an adventure.”

They hurried from the castle, using the servants’ passages so nopony would know Twilight had gone. The gate building was already buzzing with activity. That in itself wouldn’t set off too many red flags, even if Cadance had a pony watching with a telescope or something. But she wouldn’t do that, right? She trusts me.

Twilight passed through the decontamination spray, mouth tightly closed against the awful taste. It still burned as it went up her nose, but she fought it back. Spike hacked and coughed a few lungfuls of flame.

Then they were on the other side, where her technicians already had the portal prepared to connect. The thaumic charge on the air lifted her mane, pressing against her horn. Lightning only moments from striking.

“You’re going to make a trip over so soon?” Static Variable said, watching her nervously. “You could send one of us on missions like this, Princess. You know the Love Princess has a squad of royal guards ready to go through that portal the instant you ask?”

“Bloomin’ lunatics,” said somepony else. “They’d probably jump in front of a train if they thought it would save Flurry Heart.”

So would her mom.

“I’m sure,” Twilight said, crossing through the shielded barrier into the observation room. “Let’s get this connected, Static. This doesn’t need to be a big deal.”

It wasn’t a big deal that they were cutting through the universal barrier into realms no pony hoof had ever touched. Except maybe Flurry’s, this time.

“You really think we might be done?” Static asked from beside her.

“I think we might be getting close,” Twilight admitted, patting her satchel with its many environmental spells and bits of equipment inside. She opened the flap with her magic, visually inspecting each piece. The Flurry tracking spell was at the center of them all, placed tightly against where the satchel met her side. Then she hesitated, recognizing the expressions on their faces. “You’re… not excited that we might be done?”

They looked to each other, and for a moment she wasn’t sure if any would be brave enough to object. Finally Static cleared his throat. “I wouldn’t go that far. Your success has been eagerly anticipated. Of course we’re all happy that the royal family might find its missing member. It was a tragedy losing Flurry Heart.”

Silence. Thaumic crystals arced again, ready to fire. Waiting for her. Yet Twilight hesitated another moment. She couldn’t have said why—maybe she just didn’t want to face what would happen if she got there and the spells didn’t verify they were finished.

Her delay worked, at least. Another pony finally stepped forward, lowering his head politely to her. “Princess, we’ve been exploring an entirely new realm of magic here. It will be an honor to have found our target, but… it seems a shame to give all this up? Once we’re done searching, once the little princess is back in the Empire, don’t you think… there might be something worth preserving about all this?”

Without the taxes of an entire city-state paying for all this, it won’t be easy. There are never enough bits in the scientific budget.

“Yes,” she said instead. “I’m sure there’s a great deal worth preserving. There are probably many new friends to make… new kinds of magic to understand, new worlds to explore. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, alright ponies? Don’t plan for our future when Flurry is found. Focus on getting her back with me, please. Once we’ve done that, I’ll support you as we restructure into something more sustainable.”

She made her way to the portal platform, climbing up the few steps over the barriers there. Spike followed at her side, attracting more than a few curious looks. But nopony told him to move—obviously Twilight could see what he was doing, so he must be permitted.

Starlight wasn’t here this time—Twilight couldn’t afford the delay in retrieving her. But that was fine, Static knew how to work the equipment well enough. “Ready, Princess. How long until we send a team after you?”

“Never, again,” she said matter-of-factly. “Anything too dangerous for an Alicorn is lethal to anypony you send. If I don’t report back in an hour, mark the world as critically dangerous and go back to searching elsewhere. Do not retrieve our bodies.”

Spike shuddered, one hand resting on her back. He hadn’t done that in years. “D-do you mean that, Twi? Could we die out there?”

“Yes. Still want to come?”

He didn’t move. She gave him another few seconds, before nodding to Static. “Alright, Static. See you with our results.”

Twilight stiffened, but she was more experienced with the transition process this time, and knew basically what to expect. Eventually the discomfort passed, and suddenly she was somewhere else.

For the second time, Twilight found herself recognizing the environment. Distant mountains rose, not bearing Canterlot’s outline, but standing in the same place. Dense foliage surrounded her, which might’ve easily looked like Ponyville if she could see the ground more clearly.

Spike wobbled and dropped to the ground, breathing heavily. She reached down to pat him on the back, and he started to puke. She pulled her wing back. “You’re still inside my environmental spells… are you okay, Spike? Is that just motion sickness?”

He looked up, belching out a mouthful of sickly green flames. “I, uh… think so. Do you have something to drink?”

She levitated a canteen down towards him, returning her eyes to the forest. She could feel no monstrous spells coming for them. She took a few steps, levitating out her lab equipment and setting to work.

There were no strange birds this time. While she processed the piece of fern she’d chosen, Spike rolled onto his back, settling the canteen down beside him.

Twilight levitated her test tube up to the light, watching as the enchantment on it faded away. The plants would turn brown like they had so many times before. It would be close, but bringing the sample back to Equestria had obviously tainted it.

The tube glowed, becoming bright pink. Flurry’s pink.

Twilight’s heart raced, and she settled the tube in beside her test-kit, levitating out the next bit of her test. She took a few more moments, filling other empty vials with soil, little rocks, and clippings from a few more plants. She wouldn’t be testing them now, but they might be able to tell her all kinds of useful things about this world once she got them back.

Twilight wouldn’t want to waste the magic in the tracking spell—each one of these required something Flurry had owned, and the connection to each grew weaker with time. The filly had been so young that she had contact with precious little in Equestria. By now, she has more of an impact on her new world than her old one.

Twilight held the spell flat in the air in front of her, pouring her own magical energy in and finally casting the spell.

Across a universal barrier, a tracking spell like this would barely wobble. Those faint vibrations could be tracked, as she demonstrated, but only with weeks of work and the best unicorns in Equestria.

The disk spun like a compass needle, pointing almost directly north. Assuming the sun moved the same way in this new world as Equestria’s, anyway.

I can’t get overexcited. Twilight twisted the object back around, fighting against its natural pull. She let go, and it swiveled directly north again.

Something rumbled overhead, barely visible through the trees. Twilight crouched low, spreading her wings protectively over where Spike now sat. A rigid metal structure, passing in a straight line and roaring distantly in its flight. This world’s version of dragons, maybe?

“It won’t harm you,” said a voice, sly and gentle. “It’s thirty thousand feet up. The true dangers are all much closer than that.”

PreviousChapters Next