• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,528 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,528

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Sight Unseen

Kyle didn’t actually know she’d be able to reverse her transformation—she didn’t know much of anything anymore. Even what she thought she’d known about the basic rules of the universe were clearly wrong, which left her with very little to go on. What did she have left? Kara was convinced, and her mom still loved her. The jury was still out on Dad.

That wasn’t a lot to go on.

She didn’t hear from them again that night, though at least Kara did bring her the remaining contents of the crisper drawer. “I’m going to need more than this,” she said. “Look, Dad doesn’t want to talk to me, that blows… but I still need to eat.” She twisted slightly to the side, showing off just how massive she’d become. “Just look at this thing. I must weigh five hundred pounds.”

“That’s not something to brag about,” Kara said, though even her sarcasm sounded a bit forced this time. “I’ll tell Mom. She won’t want to let you starve. And the baby…”

“Fay,” she corrected. “She’s a person with a name. Even if she’s… caused all these problems. She doesn’t understand.”

“Oh, sure.” Kara rolled her eyes. “Make excuses. That doesn’t seem healthy, but what do I know?”

I never thought I would. Fay wasn’t even hers biologically, but it still felt like she was. Probably just some alien mental reprogramming, but she couldn’t just tell herself that and make the pressure go away.

Kara left her alone, and she finally put Fay down in the crib. As terrifying as the stable’s transformation had been, she couldn’t really feel that upset with the baby about it anymore. It wasn’t like her family was using the space, and having somewhere that didn’t feel like camping in a dirty shed was nice. It would be nicer to just go inside, but maybe that’s not such a good idea. If Fay keeps changing things, there won’t be much of our house left.

She checked her thread one last time before heading off to bed, hoping for some miraculous new wave of responses. There were several new messages, and few of them seemed that interesting. Most of it looked like more roleplaying, or at least indulging the more interesting posts. Some stupid references to Sonichu and the dimensional merge, more Internet garbage and lots of racial slurs.

But there was one message that stood out, and she could see instantly why. It had the same ID as the first reply that had caught her attention. She leaned in close, biting her lip as she read.

“Back again, and I’m a little sick of these people fucking with you. But there’s an element of truth to some of the mockery. Creatures like that one, and perhaps you as well, are not natives of our world. There’s nothing inherently dangerous about magic, but most people won’t be willing to accept it. There are no organizations of any size that can help you. Each of us gets our power from somewhere outside too, and what we can do with it is limited as a result.

“You might be the most powerful spellcaster in the world, OP. If you’re not, then that baby is for sure. Just stay alive and figure your shit out. Don’t swear any contracts with people you don’t trust. Never trust a fairy.

“If this isn’t the most elaborate joke in forum history, send a message to this disposable email address with some proof. I’ll share what I can about magic with you—but there’s not really anything left. Like I said, all the old mystery schools are gone now. Nobody believes in this shit anymore, and we’re basically on our own. I’ll do my best to help if I can.”

Then was the email address. That address was probably getting bombarded by dick pics and worse by now, maybe some garbage photoshop of her original image.

If she’d been a little less savvy, she probably would’ve left the message and forgotten about whatever it asked. But Fay was never going to change her back. Whatever instinct had made her transform her in the first place wasn’t going to go backwards. If she wanted to be herself again, she’d have to do it manually.

Kyle whipped up her own disposable account, and used it to send a few new photos. She put the thread on her screen behind her and posed in front of it, the same way many “proof” posts were made all across the board.

It was a foolish hope. Obviously it was just an elaborate joke, or someone who thought this was another Cicada-style ARG. But even a vanishingly small chance that she might learn something useful was much too alluring to pass up. She sent out the pictures as before, then finally shut the screen and fumbled with the bed. At least now that Mom and Dad know about this I can get my blankets from the house. If I’m going to be an animal anyway, at least I don’t have to be miserable.


She woke bright and early the next morning, to an abrupt pounding on the door. Loud enough that Fay stirred in her crib, moaning with annoyance at the interruption. She’d heard that angry knock before a few times, and there was no mystery about the source.

“Yeah?” She sat up, tucking her tail to cover up what she could. At least she didn’t spend several minutes not understanding what her body was or how it worked, so there was some improvement there. I guess I’m adapting, but is that a good thing? It didn’t really feel that way.

She hadn’t locked the door the night before, so there was nothing to stop him from coming in. The door banged open, and there was her father on the other side, along with Mom. Kara wasn’t there, though it was early enough that she was probably still asleep. Like I should be. I’m already a petting zoo, you could’ve at least given me until eight.

She rose into an awkward standing position, wings splayed to either side. “Decided to come in?”

“Wanted to confront the evidence directly,” Dad said. His eyes skimmed across the room, lingering on the strange light-fixtures and the oversized furniture. He reached cautiously towards the switch, watching the metal shutters open around it.

“Insane,” he muttered, staring at Kyle. “You’re… you’re Kyle? My son?”

She nodded weakly. “I was. I’m not sure what I am right now. But I still have… all the same stuff in my head. The same memories. I’m the same person, just…”

Fay began to fuss in the crib behind her. Those upset sounds would turn into sobbing if she waited much longer. But she resisted, holding still and meeting her father’s eyes. If she couldn’t win her family’s support now, then she was utterly doomed.

“They both believe it,” Dad said. His voice was somewhere between surprise and disappointment. “I wouldn’t if they… but what else am I supposed to think?”

“No idea,” she said awkwardly. “I don’t want it to be true either, Dad. I was just fucking hiking. I found a little baby animal and it looked weird enough I thought I would bring it to animal control.”

Fay squeaked, then started to cry. She couldn’t wait any longer—not just because of how painful that crying was, but there was very real fear as well. Last time she’d changed the stable, what would she ruin next?

She turned away, hurrying to the crib and lifting the baby out. Now that she was focused on the child, her “magic” came almost effortlessly. Just a little focus and the baby was out. She held Fay up against her front, rocking back and forth. “Hey, sweetie. It’s okay, this is just my family. They’re not going to hurt you…” I hope.

She turned, carrying Fay back with her horn glowing. At least her words were having an effect on the child—Fay stopped crying, watching everything with wide, intense eyes. You didn’t flip out for Kara, don’t freak out for them either.

“That’s it,” Mom whispered, retreating slightly behind Dad’s shoulder. “The creature you found. The one that… mutilated you.”

She nodded weakly. “I don’t think she meant it. But yeah. This is her. I’m calling her Fay. She didn’t have a collar or anything when I found her.”

“It’s wearing a diaper,” Dad said flatly. “Why?”

How could she explain that? “I found her that way,” she said. “I think… well, I’m still smart, I can still talk, right? Right now my working theory is that wherever she comes from, this is what life looks like. Horse… things. Either that, or the ones who made her didn’t want her to pee on the carpet. I don’t want her to do that either, so… diapers it is.” She nodded towards the shelf. “When she changed the stable here, she gave us plenty to work with for awhile. But obviously the size and shape are pretty different from anything that normal people would use.”

For another minute the two of them were silent, watching her care for the baby. Eventually Alan broke the silence. “What do we do about this, son? What are we supposed to do to help you?”


She chuckled. “I have no fucking idea, Dad. I’m hoping—maybe Kara told you this already—but I’m hoping that I’ll be able to copy her powers with enough practice. I look just like her, see? Wings, horn… everything checks out. If I practice, maybe I can change myself back.”

Mom made a dissatisfied sound, before Dad nodded weakly. “That’s a poor plan, Kyle. But I’m not sure… This shouldn’t be possible. We want to help you, but there aren’t a lot of options. You’re… a horse. There’s only so much we can do.”

“Food,” she added hastily. “And making it so I don’t fail all my classes would be good too. Kara said something about homeschool? That sounds like a good idea. While I…”

Fay was moving her lips, squirming towards her. She was hungry, but somehow she didn’t think that letting her parents see that was a good idea. “While I keep this baby from wrecking anything else.”

“We can do that,” Mom said. “That’s something, isn’t it Alan? We can… do something.”

“We might do more,” Dad said awkwardly. “There are… people, we could call. Get a doctor to look at you. Your mother’s family has… people. Discrete people. We don’t even have to tell them who you are.”

“Sure.” She didn’t hesitate. “Just don’t…” Fay started moaning. If she wasn’t seen to soon, she’d be crying again. “Don’t try to take the baby away. I don’t want anyone else to go through what I am.”

PreviousChapters Next