• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,509 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,509

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: The Lodge

Edgar loomed over Kyle. For a few seconds she was struck by just how tall he was. Of course Dad was about the same height, but he never felt half as intimidating. Edgar, though…

She recognized him perfectly, but even so there was something strange and out of place about seeing him so close. He was supposed to exist in angry letters and half-heard phone calls, not the real world.

“You’re not terrified of us?” Kara asked, sliding past Kyle without slowing for a second. She spoke with her same cheerfulness, though Kyle couldn’t imagine what there was to be excited about. What about everything you left behind? Did you stop being upset? “We’re crazy animals that sound like your family. That should be weird.”

Edgar chuckled amicably, though he didn’t actually come closer to them. He remained safely in the shadow of the bunker. “It is every bit as weird as you suggest it should be,” Edgar agreed. “And more I haven’t yet. But that’s partly the benefit of coming here, Kara. You’re here to take advantage of the expertise of others, just as I often do.”

You didn’t even blink. His moving people had barely slowed down either. They all seemed to know there was something supernatural going on, except Kyle and Kara themselves. “Have you seen magic before, Grandpa?”

Edgar’s smile widened. “Why don’t you come inside? My people will worry about unloading your possessions. I’ll show you to where you’ll be staying while you’re my guests.”

Fay hadn’t started screaming, anyway. She hadn’t reacted with the same kind of fury she’d shown their doctors, either. Maybe she was just tired from the trip, and happy to be out of such a confined space.

Or if I’m trusting her to gage the people I’m around, maybe she doesn’t think Grandpa is so bad. He was family. Maybe being sinister was just something that happened once you made too much money.

Edgar stepped aside, showing a ramp leading down. It seemed like a recent conversion, because it was steep enough that anyone in a wheelchair would probably only get one attempt.

Kara was the first through the doorway. “Mom and Dad are already down there?”

“They’ll meet up with you later,” Edgar said noncommittally. “You both have been with that creature long enough to know how dangerous she is. My son and his wife are undergoing a brief quarantine. They’ll join you as soon as I can be certain that they won’t hurt any members of my staff by exposure.”

Kyle hesitated near the doorway, glancing down the mountain. She felt a brief, overwhelming urge to turn and gallop away as fast as she could. It didn’t matter that there was barbed wire and probably lots of other dangers she couldn’t even see yet. Could the unknown be worse than the danger right in front of her?

She didn’t run, though. Even if she could survive out in the woods by herself, she couldn’t do that and care for a baby at the same time. More importantly, she couldn’t leave Kara behind.

It’s probably just animal instinct. Horses would rather run than be inside.

She followed Kara, and heard the grinding of metal as Edgar settled the heavy blast door shut behind them. It locked into place with a resounding click, and he followed at an energetic trot.

For all the intervening years, Grandpa could keep up with them easily, and didn’t seem winded by the bottom of the ramp. He did have a cane—polished white, with a metal handle always concealed in one hand. But he didn’t lean on it so much as gesticulate with it when he spoke.

“I’ve done everything I could to make this comfortable, spared no expense. Finding somewhere far enough from other people to keep everyone else safe while we’re trying to help you… that was tricky.”

The little entrance ramp led them through several rooms of old equipment, all in various stages of decay and covered with plastic.

Then they reached a vast open space, so high that every hoofstep echoed. Their hooves settled on plastic grass, passible enough that she made it a few strides before even realizing it was fake.

Soon enough they reached a plastic barricade, easily ten feet tall and thick enough to stop a determined hockey player. It opened automatically as Edgar got close. “The living area is past here. Not that I have any doubt about the two of you now, but I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first heard about this.

“Don’t worry though, the accommodations will be comfortable. As spacious as we could manage, while still maintaining a way to conceal you from the world at large.”

You know there are others looking for us. You might be one of the people Monday was warning me about.

The other side of the barrier had an apartment of sorts, easily twice the size of the wing they’d left behind. There were bedrooms, a common living area with various entertainment devices, and a huge open area with more fake grass.

It would’ve been fantastic housing, except for a single central flaw: it was all completely open. Aside from a bathroom door, the actual walls were made of clear plastic, letting Kyle see from one side to the other at a glance.

At least I can piss in peace.

“Well this doesn’t scream ‘demented mad scientist’ at all.” Kara took a few steps past the plastic barricade. Maybe she was trying to process the same bizarre mismatch of different worlds that confused Kyle so much.

The kitchen was lavishly furnished, right down to one of those fancy new soda machines that assembled thousands of possible flavors. There was a little theater off to another side, with cloudy plastic that cast the section in shadow. There was a table-tennis section, a gaming setup that made Kyle’s mouth water even from afar.

You just asked a dozen people what kids like and bought all of it, didn’t you?

“I know it’s a little frightening. Those clear upper panels can be swapped with opaque ones, once we’ve determined the extent of… well, that’s not my field.” He walked right through into the large exercise area, tapping his knuckles against one of the walls. “As soon as we know the two of you are safe, we can begin rotating some of this out. There’s only so many readings and observations we can take before the hard work of curing this must take place on our end, instead of yours.

“But please, be patient with the discomfort for a little while.”

He said it so politely, so friendly. But would that smile crack if Kyle tried to refuse?

She might not remember much about dealing with the family, but one thing still remained prominent. So long as we don’t step out of line, so long as we cooperate, he’ll give us everything we ask for. As soon as he feels like we’re disloyal, we’re screwed.

“It’s creepy as—”

Kyle shoved Kara, hard enough to interrupt her. “It’s going to be uncomfortable to be on display like this. But if you think it’s going to be useful for finding a cure. I just don’t understand how anyone could cure this. We’ve been transformed. There’s no drug to cure being a horse. I’ve heard about gene therapies to cure lactose intolerance, but this has got to be way harder.”

She glanced briefly back over her shoulder, but there was little to see from Fay. The foal had her eyes closed, and seemed to be sleeping.

Kara shoved her back, glaring daggers. But she didn’t actually interrupt. So you’re still you down there. You’re not about to shut up and just let it all happen.

“You’re absolutely right,” Grandpa said. “There’s no medication I could arrange for you to fix this. There is no instrument of conventional medical science that could restore you. But that shouldn’t be terribly worrying—there is much that medicine cannot do. Modern medicine did not change you, so it will not be required to restore you.”

He retreated a few steps, gesturing back across the glass. “The team I’ve arranged for this task will not be in the same bunker, but in a facility just down the hill. Exposure is a terrible risk, as both of you learned firsthand. But they will make periodic trips, and consult with you virtually whenever they have something useful to contribute.”

Kyle’s tongue burned with curiosity. She probably would’ve kept her mouth shut anyway, letting Grandpa believe they were just blindly grateful for the rescue and ask another time. You think this is dangerous, but you came yourself to welcome us here. Some part of you has to care.

“You’re talking about magic, aren’t you? That’s what changed us. You must have some… magic people working for you.”

She thought about repeating some of the new words she’d learned from Monday’s messages. What was it they called themselves, Willworkers? But she stopped at the last moment. At least until Grandpa had given them more reason to trust him, she would keep quiet about that.

“I can’t think of anything else to call it,” she went on, nodding towards the one on her back. “Transforming me like this. The way I can move things with my mind. I know the word probably sounds stupid…”

Edgar leaned on his cane, looking thoughtful. “I’m not one to balk at semantics, child. The word is… effective enough at describing what you’ve seen. And yes, you’re right to suspect the powers that creature manifests reach beyond the physical. They are supernal, with power of a magnitude so great that few could appreciate it rationally.

“I wouldn’t have believed it myself, a decade ago. Look at the long history of mankind, and you’ll see pretenders to the unknown or the divine just as long. The ‘magic’ is always one donation away. Just a little more faith, and anything is possible.”

He laughed, then marched right back past them, into the kitchen. He began opening drawers with the cane, one at a time. The space was well stocked, with a fridge full of produce as well as shelves with plenty of junk food.

“Then events led me to change my perspective. The specifics don’t matter to you right now. Let’s just say that supernatural abilities don’t mitigate physical needs. I have certain friendships, and resources at my disposal. I make those available to those who appreciate my patronage, and in return they grant me the use of their services.

“Now the talents of many turn towards helping you. Magic is a crude word, but it’s enough for today. Why don’t you let me show you the rest?”

“Do you think we can do magic too?” Kara asked, as soon as Edgar had finished taking them through the bedrooms. There was no attempt to separate Kyle from the baby either, but a crib placed right beside one of the beds.

It would’ve been perfect, if they weren’t locked underground under bright lights and who knew how many hidden cameras.

“I suspect so,” Edgar said. “My first examination of your brother was not detailed enough to confirm. But the next ones you meet will be more than just doctors. I should give you a chance to settle in. Your belongings should be here in a few minutes. Expect a call from your parents later this evening.”

He backed away, through the plastic divider. It slid automatically back down into place behind him, vanishing back up the ramp they’d taken down here.

Could be worse. At least he didn’t put us in a stable.

PreviousChapters Next