• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,513 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,513

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Devil's Deal

Kyle wondered just how long her family would keep her out in the stables.

Even with the redecorating, they were still entirely on their own, separated so completely that she wouldn’t see anyone unless they chose to seek her out. That was probably an advantage for Dad, but not so much for her own sanity. Or the baby’s either, for that matter. After her third day, she could tell that Fae was starting to get agitated by the confined space. She pressed to go outside more and more, and whined incessantly if they stayed inside for too long. Kyle knew better than to ignore her anger.

At least her family took care of her other needs. Now that everyone knew about her, she didn’t have to survive on whatever scraps Kara could scavenge from the crisper drawer. It was something.

“We’re doing everything we can,” Mom said, when she asked about it. “We’re making arrangements, Kyle. We’ll let you know as soon as we figure things out.”

“What is there to figure out?” she asked, pushing Fay gently back from the doorway. The longer she stayed in one place, the more the baby seemed interested in other people. Not that she ever got far from Kyle, but… “There’s no one who can fix this, except maybe Fay. And she hasn’t yet.” Maybe me too, but let’s not promise that now. She’ll expect me to keep it, and I don’t even know if I can.

Mom only shrugged noncommittally. “I’m not going to close any doors before we investigate what’s waiting on the other side. Maybe there’s a way to fix things that you didn’t think of. I’m not waiting for the alien to fix the damage it did. If we had anything to do with it, I would feel happier if it was far away from you. There’s no telling if she won’t cause more harm.”

“No!” She didn’t even think, didn’t have to. “I’d love to give her back to her mother, but Fay doesn’t have anyone else. If you took her away, she’d be…” She bent down, holding the child in her magic. “Look at her. You couldn’t abandon her, could you?”

Mom hesitated, but wasn’t able to answer the way she wanted. “We wouldn’t do that. It would be nice if her mother returned to fix the mess her daughter made. I’d like my son back.”

“I’d like my me back,” she countered. “If you see any giant horses with horns and wings, you call me. I’ll keep an eye on the backyard.”

And maybe take a few more hikes. She couldn’t help but think back to the place she’d found the baby, abandoned on a hillside. Maybe there was some clue about her that she hadn’t connected yet, some fact that could help fix this.

“Wait, Mom! I forgot about something. Up in my room… open my backpack. There’s a shard of blue glass in there. The baby was wrapped up in it, like a giant spiky flower. Maybe there’s a clue we can use?”

Mom turned back around, folding her arms. “Your father isn’t going to be happy you didn’t share that with us sooner.”

“I had other things on my mind!” she snapped back. The baby squirmed and shoved against her chest, squeaking for attention. Or… maybe that was fear? She could apparently sense her frustration with her mother’s reaction. “I don’t know if you noticed.”

“That’s Kara’s schtick,” Mom interrupted, smiling faintly. “You can’t pull off sarcasm like your sister. But… I’ll look into it. With biohazard protection, just in case. Maybe that’s how you caught this in the first place.”

She hurried back to the house, breaking into a light jog as soon as she was further away from Kyle. She watched her go, sighing deeply. “How am I supposed to fix this and care for you at the same time, Fay?”

She turned the baby around, sticking her tongue out and imitating her. That made Fay giggle, forgetting all her anger with Kyle. She was just a baby, and not terribly difficult to amuse so long as she didn’t do the same thing for too long.

But Fay wasn’t the only one losing her mind stuck in a tiny room—Kyle could only pace back and forth and stare at a laptop she could barely use for so long before she wanted to go outside. Even if she didn’t have many friends, or anywhere to be—stuck in the same room was a bit much for her.

Thankfully, they still had the grounds. Fay liked to run, even if she didn’t know what she was doing and probably would’ve fallen on her face more than once without Kyle there to catch her. Not only that, but the grounds never seemed to lose their appeal to her. They could look at the same statues every day, so long as they didn’t look at them for too long. Fay didn’t so much want the novelty, she just wanted attention.

“I wish you were a few years older,” Kyle muttered, settling down on her haunches beside the fountain. Once it had been in the center of a little hedge maze, but those took work and this one had been abandoned when she was still in preschool. Now there was only a thin layer of brown water collecting near the bottom, with green residue coating much of the interior.

The statue in the center was much too old and disfigured to judge—another cavalryman, by the roughly horse-shaped outline. “If you were bigger, you could just answer all our questions. You wouldn’t have needed to change me to get the care you needed. We could take you back to your family.”

Fay babbled in response, balancing on the stone bench. There was a fall to either side, but Kyle didn’t worry. So long as she didn’t take her eyes from her, she could catch Fay easily.

“You must miss them. Maybe that’s why you’re so sour if we sit around for too long. You start remembering them. Unless you were grown in a test-tube somewhere. It could still be that, even with… all the magic.” Realistically, it probably couldn’t be. But some part of her wanted to hold on to her rational explanation for everything, even if present evidence suggested otherwise.

Fay offered her no answers. At least she was in a good mood today. Something to distract Kyle from her life unraveling around her.

Maybe my anonymous helper will jump in to save the day. Once they figure out that I’m not lying to them, they might be exactly what I’ve been waiting for. Or maybe they represented the very danger that they’d been warning about, and their apparent sympathy was only a ruse to extract further obedience. Or maybe she was just being screwed with as elaborately as any other internet lolcow, by trolls with no idea they were actually dealing with the real thing.

Whichever the case, she did hear back from her mysterious benefactor later that day. She checked the disposable address the same way she did every afternoon, once Fay was down for a nap. No one had discovered the address yet, so she didn’t have to deal with a barrage of spam.

“Horse girl.

“After examining your message, I’m reasonably confident you’re telling the truth. I’m still trying to process exactly how this has happened to you, since your story doesn’t conform with any of the existing methods that might’ve left you this way. The Hidden Masters don’t seem to be involved—or if they are, their touch is so subtle that you haven’t detected it. I know I can’t, given the photo.

“I know you’ll want more help. I wish I could do more now, but I can do something. Swear to never divulge what I share with you with another human being. Do it in the following way:”

What followed was a… ritual, there was no other word for it. Symbols she had to draw on something flammable, then touch with a little blood and burn, after speaking her promise aloud.

“That will do jack shit for you if this is all a joke. Most people are sleeping deeper than three weeks of Xanax and a few fifths of whisky. But if those images are true, then you’ll have enough magic to spark it. It’s an oath, so don’t fucking break it. That’s your first magical lesson, free of charge. Magic is a promise, and if you want it to serve you, keep your promises.

“Prove you’re worth anything, and we’ll probably have to do more than email. I won’t lie and tell you I’m doing this out of the goodness of my heart. If this works out, and you live through this mess, you’ll owe me. Magical favor from a creature like you—it’ll be worth something a century or two from now. But our interests align in the meantime. You have to live for me to cash in. So do what I say, and you live.

“You don’t need to reply to this message. When you’ve done it, I’ll know, and I’ll send you the first few lessons. Study well, and get back to me when you master the basics. Or don’t do what I said, and you won’t hear from me again. I don’t have time to waste with skeptics—sleepers have no reason to believe in magic, and I don’t blame them. But you do, if you weren’t lying.

“Good luck.”

Kyle stared at the diagram for a long time, trying to wrap her mind around the shapes. It certainly looked like it could be the design for a magical spell. The language was vaguely Arabic, with an angular style more like runes. Stranger still, it just wasn’t there when she tried to take a screenshot. Even using her phone, the picture blurred beyond recognition.

The hell?

But at this point, Kyle couldn’t exactly say that one impossible thing was more impossible than being an adoptive horse mom. She was surrounded by evidence of things that shouldn’t be possible.

None of the supplies she’d need were in the nursery in any case. So she waited, until Kara made an appearance after school, with the evening’s dinner delivery.

“Hey horse.” She slipped through the door, offering a carboard box of fresh produce. Washed this time, instead of right from the farming store. So… that was an improvement. “Any exciting developments?”

“Promise not to tell Mom and Dad?”

She grinned in response. “You know I’m good for it, Kyle. Whatever you’re thinking.”

She did know. It didn’t matter that they were older now, and Kara was better than her in every way. A lifetime of closeness couldn’t be erased by more recent failures.

She told her, recounting her desperate pleas for help. She had to explain the steps she’d taken to hide her identity, since Kara had never really understood anything that technical. Then she went through the conversation—the person she’d taken seriously, and their promise of help. Complete with a bizarre demand of a ritual.”

By the time she finished, Fay was up again, and demanded her attention. She bounced the foal up and down, delaying her desire for food as long as she could, even knowing full well what she wanted.

“That’s… I’d say it was stupid and silly, but you’re a horse holding a horse magically in the air. Guess we don’t know as much as we thought we did.”

Kyle nodded, waiting for her to get past that point. She’d already thought about that—it was the obvious place to start. But then she got past it. “Let’s think about it both ways. They… kinda built the proof right into their email. There’s no reason this stranger should know that you burned a weird symbol. If anything happens, you’re good.

“But if magic is real, then… you don’t know what you’re doing. They admit right there in the message that they expect things from you later. Maybe you’re, like…” She trailed off, waving a hand through the air. “I dunno, what happens in those nerdy books you like?”

She flushed, ears flattening. Fay seemed to notice her discomfort, spinning around to glare at Kara. Nothing approaching the anger she could somehow show, but clear disapproval. “Lots of things. I guess it could be a trick. But what if it’s not?”

Kara sighed, slumping into the oversized cushion. “You sure you don’t want to ask Mom and Dad about it? They might have some advice.”

She laughed in response, so energetically that Fay copied her and started giggling too. It didn’t matter if she didn’t understand. “Their advice will just be taking my computer away, maybe burning it instead. I’m not telling them.”

Kara shrugged, defeated. “Well bro, what will you do?”

A few minutes later, the sheet of paper was burning.

PreviousChapters Next