• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,527 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,527

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: New Duds

Okay, maybe it only felt that way. A single burning wave of heat rushed through his body, dropping him to the ground in an instant and completely overwhelming his senses. He didn’t scream, because he was far too stunned for that. He didn’t kick or struggle. He barely even breathed.

For a few seconds he lay on the floor, utterly insensate. His body came slowly back into alertness, like an old computer warming up overworked circuits one system at a time.

He was on the floor, he could tell that from the distinct rub of carpet against his skin. There was something wrong, like someone had wrapped him in a sheet that made the floor further away than it should’ve been. What happened to me? Had he tripped on something and banged his head against his dresser? Was this what a concussion felt like?

He wanted to curl up and go to sleep, wait for the pain to pass and for his senses to put themselves back together. But there was desperate crying nearby, crying that needed his attention now more than ever. It didn’t even enter his mind that he should’ve remembered that voice, and that it belonged to what was otherwise just an animal to him. All that mattered was that she was crying, and that he needed to help.

“I’m… coming…” he croaked, wincing at how strange his voice sounded in his own ears. He must’ve really banged his head for it to echo that high-pitched. Maybe he should call 911 and get an ambulance on the way before he found whoever was crying.

His vision came back abruptly, cloudy and out of focus at first. There was the familiar bedroom floor, and the bed rising above him, and… bits of torn rag? Like a scarecrow had ended its life in a paper shredder all over the floor. But he couldn’t feel sympathy for it, because of the sudden barrage of other inconsistencies.

Why was there a pink lump right under his eyes that moved when he did? Why did his fingers and toes still feel completely numb? How could he feel the dresser pressing up against his shoulder, with a leg simultaneously touching the bookshelf eight feet back?

“Something was… something was happening…” He groaned, tried to sit up, and found his spine unwilling to cooperate at first. But if he ignored the persistent discomfort in his lower back, he could finally sit up.

And immediately wish he hadn’t.

His entire body was… replaced. His clothes were completely gone, transformed into the rags that coated the floor. His naked body was entirely covered in fur. There were gangly legs trailing down from his chest, bending inward and ending in flat stubs. And what he saw trailing away made even less sense. The barrel of an animal, with nothing even resembling human anatomy the further he looked. That had to be a tail further down, in two different shades of blue. Matching the strands of hair that hung suddenly over his face as soon as he looked.

It all came crashing back—the alien creature he’d rescued in the woods, and her increasingly paranormal abilities. An innocent-looking creature, desperately in need of help… that changed into a monster as soon as he couldn’t get her what she wanted. It felt like she was going to kill him… and in a way, what she’d done was almost worse.

If she can do it, she can undo it. Take a deep breath, Kyle. You’re not dead. He did, though the further down he looked, the less confident he was that his present situation was any better than death.

And she was still crying. A constant, droning yell that echoed all around him and made it difficult to concentrate on anything else. The monster-baby was more disturbed than ever. No matter how angry he felt he deserved to be, the need to care for her was stronger. He had to help, even if he wanted nothing to do with her right now.

Take it slow. You have to calm her down to change you back. Figure it out, Kyle. You can do this.

He would have to figure something out, and fast. If his parents had gone to the game to see Kara do her cheer thing, he had another hour or so before they got home. Two if they went out to eat after.

“Alright, baby-thing… I need you to fix this now.” He tried to stand, and this time his spine rebelled completely, flinging him forward. He caught himself on his hands, but instead of uncomfortable the sensation felt natural. Without thinking, his back legs slid into place, and he stood up properly, staring at his reflection in his bedroom mirror.

It wasn’t just that the baby had made him into a horse—he was like her, only older and more mature. There were wings at his sides, and a horn so long that he could probably poke the ceiling with it if he jumped. Unfortunately he was also positively gigantic—like a fair pony had wandered into someone’s bedroom after giving rides. At least the scraps of shed clothing had plenty of other dirty laundry to get lost in.

Kyle did his best to ignore the feminine sound of his voice, looking down on the horse-creature. “Hey, uh… baby? Do you think you could put me back to normal, please? I’m not supposed to be… any of the things you did to me right now. Please?”

The absurdity of the situation struck him like a weight. Here he was asking a crying infant to fix something for him. Just one more thing for the list of things that didn’t make sense. At least it wasn’t physical confusion with his body, which he could barely control. His arms—forelegs—didn’t bend in the ways he expected, and having constantly numb fingers certainly didn’t help

The baby looked up at him from the edge of the bed, and stopped crying abruptly. Her eyes went wide, and somehow Kyle could feel both confusion and relief from her. She didn’t know what she’d done? Or she didn’t consciously know. In any case, she started clambering towards him, close enough to the edge of the bed that she might’ve gone tumbling.

Kyle turned sideways, blocking her with the side of a now-considerable body. The boards creaked and strained in protest with each step—but this house was built to an older standard, and he wasn’t quite as big as a real horse. Or maybe he was just too young to be fully grown?

The baby didn’t slip off to get lost in his dirty laundry, so at least he’d done something right. “Now that you’re calm, I need you to do… whatever you did before. It hurt, but… just put me back to the way you found me, okay? Reverse this, before anyone gets home and thinks a wild animal got into the house.”

Though realistically speaking, he didn’t think anyone would be mistaking a pink and blue winged horse as wild. Though as he considered it, an even darker fear entered his mind. Maybe the reason this baby acted smarter than a baby animal was that she was a human baby, or had been. Maybe it wasn’t intentional at all, but some kind of… disease, and now he was infected too. And once his family got home, it would spread to them.

His eyes lost focus as a nightmare scenario ran through his mind, of himself as the catalyst for the end of civilization. Obviously horse-monsters wouldn’t be able to run a civilization, that was given. Once it spread to everyone, they would be galloping though the fields within a generation. Unless there won’t be another generation.

He felt the pressure suddenly, causing such a strange cascade of sensations that he was frozen in place for nearly ten seconds straight, struggling to process what the little horse was doing to him. There was a slight pulling sensation, and a sudden relief of pressure he hadn’t even been able to explain before. He might not have been able to figure out what was going on at all, except for the sound.

The baby was nursing. Whatever relief might’ve come from not being able to see behind himself and know faded in an instant of absolute clarity. I’m not a guy. It isn’t just a voice thing.

Something visceral wanted him to spring away in horror, maybe scream at the monster that had done this to him. She was right there, entirely within his power—yet he didn’t move. There were other instincts too, foreigners in his body, but stronger all the same. He needed this. It was the thing the baby had needed, and the milk he’d tried downstairs hadn’t been able to provide.

So he didn’t run, and he didn’t scream. He suppressed his anger, until what began as a roar of indignation faded. He was just as upset, he just… couldn’t imagine expressing it the same way.

I’m probably being mind-controlled. This is even more insidious. Be furious, act. But just thinking those words didn’t make him feel them. The anger just wasn’t sincere.

“I understand how… desperate it can feel to be hungry. Today wasn’t your day. Ditched in the woods all by yourself, having to rely on a loser like me for help. But I’m still going to need you to reverse what you did. When you’re… when you’re done back there, I want you to change me back to normal.”

He was still talking to a baby. A very smart baby, perhaps… but could a baby have the wherewithal to change him back?

He couldn’t have said how long it took the baby to finish—the strange location of his anatomy didn’t make it easy to check on it. But eventually she let go, squeaking weakly in satisfaction.

Kyle turned, glaring down at the creature resting on his bed. “I need you to change me back now,” he said, gesturing up at his own portrait on the wall. A soccer picture from several years ago, when he’d been in the same league as Kara. But it was the only picture of himself he kept up. It was the only year he’d ever won anything. “Like that, see? Only older. I don’t want to be twelve again. But you get the idea.”

The baby did not get the idea. For a few seconds she watched, babbling incoherently to herself. Then she stretched, curling up on the bed and spreading her wings. While it would have a hard time fitting Kyle anymore, she had no problem finding enough room. She closed her eyes contently, and was soon sleeping peacefully.

Just seeing that, after the baby had been so distressed all day, pushed aside all his discomfort and fear.

For a few seconds.

The baby asleep didn’t actually mean things were better for him. If anything, he was now in deeper, since the one who had done this and might be able to reverse it was now asleep.

At most, I have an hour and a half until my family gets back. Even so, he didn’t wake up the baby. Something about her resting there made her seem like she shouldn’t be disturbed. Or maybe it was more alien mind-control? How would he know?

Maybe I can do it myself? I look the same as she does. Probably in more ways than he wanted to think about.

Kyle crept away from the baby, made easier by the thick carpet and miles of dirty clothes. He reached the door, then shoved it closed with his shoulder. Locking it was a little harder—he could reach up a leg towards the lock without too much trouble, but getting the mechanism to turn took patience. But the hoof wasn’t just a flat slab, there was tough skin underneath, almost as sensitive as his fingers had been. If he moved very slowly, he could still twist the lock around.

At least this old house had one thing going for it: size. He moved into the nearby sitting room, where he could pace and think without disturbing the sleeping child. His pacing amounted to a few steps then a sharp turn in the opposite direction, dodging the moldering old couch. Even large spaces transformed into small ones when you were almost seven feet tall and probably even longer than that.

Alright Kyle, think this through. You’re an… alien. The baby transformed you into its food source. No one will recognize you, no one will believe you. What do you do?

He could call the police, and they’d never believe a single word of this. Maybe if he was lucky animal control would drag him off. The same fate he’d imagined as the most humane thing he could do for the baby was now his own nightmare.

Option two, try to convince Mom and Dad anyway. He still had his memories—he knew their family vacations, where Kara kept her diary. He knew the combination to the hide-a-key and which bush it was hidden in. He knew their birthdays and favorite foods. If they listen to you. If they can even understand you.

“It still… sounds like I can talk…” he muttered. There was that voice again, a little higher than Kara’s and strangely more musical. But just because it sounded right when he was a horse thing didn’t mean it would be something his family could understand. In all the movies, animals could understand each other but never talk to people. Would it be the same for him?

He slumped onto the ground, his weight making the old boards strain to hold him.

I’m fucked.

PreviousChapters Next