• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,528 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,528

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Packed

“You’re kidding,” Kara said, her voice far less respectful than Kyle had ever seen it. “You can’t really be suggesting that we’re moving in the middle of junior year.”

Mom only sighed, reaching over to rest a hand on Kara’s shoulder. “Sweetheart, I know how much you care about… everything, but I think you need to look in the mirror for a second. Staying here isn’t going to help fix you, or anything else for that matter. I think it’s safe to say that praying for a miracle has failed. The only option left is to try and make our own. Your grandfather—”

“Sent assholes to do this to me in the first place!” Kara yelled, backing away from her. “This is stupid! Going over there isn’t going to do anything but give them more of a chance to poke us like we’re science experiments! The only one who can fix this is the baby, and she’s terrified of them!”

Mom retreated from the doorway, her hands up defensively. Kyle could hardly blame her—Kara was bigger than she was, and looked about as sturdy as a block of granite. Even if she didn’t have mythical powers, she could still be terribly dangerous. And for all they knew, she did have mythical powers.

“This isn’t a discussion,” she said, remarkably brave despite the clear differences between them in ability. “Kara, your father and I are just as upset about this as you are. But think about what would happen if that—creature—did something large enough for the neighbors to notice? Or if one of your instructors wants to come here and check on you. It’s only a matter of time before your absence raises suspicion. We would have to make the trip even if there wasn’t hope for a cure, and there is. A slim hope is better than anything you have in that wing.”

She spun around, vanishing into the house before Kara could keep arguing with her.

Kara scraped at the floor with one hoof, nostrils flaring. But no amount of anger was going to change just how right they were. Kyle might have no friends, and might make no impression on any of his instructors. But Kara was vital to half a dozen teams. She was so loyal she would probably still be at practice if Mom and Dad let her.

Kyle reached over, extending a wing over her shoulder. She was bigger now, all those feathers had to be good for something. She didn’t say anything—she knew better than to try and comfort Kara when she had nothing good to offer. She just stood there, until her sister gave up and slumped against her, fighting back tears.

“Aren’t you going to tell me she’s right?” Kara whispered, her voice cracking. “Of course we have to run away, right? It’s the only way or whatever?”

She shook her head. “This is worse for you than me. I’m sorry you got dragged in.”

Kara cried for a few moments more, and might’ve continued breaking down if it wasn’t for Fay. She’d apparently just noticed them there, and decided on that moment to approach.

Through means that Kyle herself still hadn’t mastered, the baby took off effortlessly, flying up to Kara and holding something towards her. The stuffed ferret, taken from the nursery they’d set up in an empty storage closet.

You understand the pain of others and you want to help. Damn you’re terrifyingly smart.

Kara only chuckled, pushing the baby away. “Th-that’s enough,” she said, stifling a laugh. “That’s nice of you, kid. But I think you need that more than me. You’re gonna hate where we’re going.”

Fay showed no sign of recognition, only giggling at the attention. She did seem relieved to take back her toy, zooming back with it into the nursery. “Guess we should pack or something,” Kara went on. “She didn’t actually say what we’re going to do about that. Move out in one day…”

“They must plan on coming back.” Kyle wasn’t sure it was true, but it made her feel better. It wasn’t like she could imagine the family wanting to move completely into Grandpa’s life again, where they’d be subject to his strange whims. It was probably just for the duration. Once they changed back, they’d come back to their lives here.

Assuming they ever could get their old lives back. Kyle’s success with one spell didn’t mean Fay’s work could be easily undone.

“I’m gonna go inside and grab some stuff,” Kara said. “They can’t honestly expect me to just wait here and get onto a truck tonight like it’s nothing. But you probably shouldn’t bring Fay back inside. After what she did to me… they’ll freak out.”

Kyle considered for a few moments. Under any ordinary circumstances, she could think of a few things she’d want to prepare for a long trip. But she didn’t wear clothes anymore, and anything she really needed would be out in the nursery or in her wing already. It didn’t even seem possible to bring the artifacts of her old life along. The laptop was the only exception, and she already had that.

“I don’t need anything. Maybe a bag I can throw the rest of the diapers in, along with some bedding for her. I already have everything I need.”

Kara nodded, slipping back out the way she’d come. Probably she would be using this as an excuse to yell at Mom and Dad a little more, maybe even try to convince them to change their minds. Kyle didn’t expect anything of it. When she returned with a suitcase an hour later, smelling like sweat and anger, Kyle wasn’t the least bit surprised.

The next message from their mysterious benefactor arrived around nightfall. This time there was no request for her to wait while they got something ready. The message followed with a document at least two dozen pages long, each one apparently scanned from an ancient-looking book.

“You’ve demonstrated that there is at least some reason to suspect your new species is capable of the same spellcasting mortals comprehend. To fully resolve that question, we will need a more comprehensive test. I’ve sent you the vocabulary of magic commonly reached by the novices in the craft, as well as those who either do not aspire or lack the talent for greater achievement. I do not give you a spell this time, but wait for you to create one of your own.

“Take the pieces I have given you, and use them to construct an artifice that accomplishes something useful. When you have successfully cast this spell, send me an image of your creation as well as an explanation of what you’ve done and why.

“I would normally wait years to trust an apprentice with this, but something tells me you will not have years. I have already heard a rumor of a long-extinct creature reappearing somewhere on the eastern seaboard of the United States. That is not terribly specific, but I also doubt any who discovered you would wish the more specific descriptions of your location to escape before they could catch you.

“One final word of advice: if it seems you’ve met someone with abilities you don’t understand, your best bet is to frighten them away. Willworkers of every school prefer prudence to extreme daring, or they would be dead by their own art already. Frighten them and flee, if you can. If this is not possible, then do not hide and wait for rescue. Anyone with the power to catch you is beyond any help I can offer.

“Monday”

It was hardly the most encouraging message Kyle could’ve received. At least we’re already moving. Assuming Monday didn’t just make up those rumors to frighten us into compliance.

But the longer she was in touch with Monday, the less suspicious Kyle felt. A light spell might be basically useless, but all these parts… As she skimmed through the document, it felt like she’d just been handed an authentic 1950s chemistry set. There were detailed explanations for each symbol and pattern, but no adult supervision while she did whatever she wanted.

A cursory inspection did not lead her to any “transformation” rune, or any approximation of it. But she wouldn’t let that weigh her down. These twenty pages alone might make for weeks of experimentation. Here were variables she could use to scale a spell’s effects. Here was a way to apply a vectored force based on energy input. Here were symbols she could use to make measurements about a substance’s composition.

This came from an introduction-level course for a science I don’t understand, she realized, when she’d printed off the textbook-like pages. Her printer did a terrible job, but there was no telling when she’d have the chance to sit down with her laptop and study where she was going.

Not that night.

She had only just finished packing her garbage away when she heard the sound of an oversized engine down the drive, and boots crunching on gravel. A glance out the front window proved it wasn’t just a moving van, but an entire semi-truck with attached trailer. It wasn’t rented either, but covered with branding and images from a local grocer.

Four men in generic blue overalls exited the cab, each one wearing gloves and winter gear that obscured their faces. They went for the proper entrance to the house. Kyle watched the front door open and the crew step inside.

She left her bag by the door, then slipped into the makeshift nursery.

Nothing as nice as what Fay had out in the old stable, though the bed itself was inside. The baby squirmed as she came in, shifting before finally sitting up in bed. She watched Kyle wearily, obviously fighting her tears. However magical she was, she still seemed to need as much sleep as any other baby. She wouldn’t be awake for long.

“Sorry, sweetheart,” Kyle whispered, lifting her out of bed and wrapping her in one of the altered blankets. “We’re about to do something you’ll hate. Just be good, okay?”

She showed no sign of recognition, but at least she wasn’t fighting. She let Kyle wrap her up without objection.

By the time Kyle emerged, Kara was already up, fighting to get a pair of suitcases over to the door with her mouth. “You think it’s weird that they didn’t get a farm truck?”

She shook her head in response. “There’s a lot of holes on those. What will people think when they see us?”

Kara giggled tiredly. “I’d love to see that. Maybe I’d take some pictures… except I can’t. No hands.” She let go of the bags, looking expectant. “Come on, big brother. Could you help me with these?”

“I thought you were the older twin,” Kyle countered, her voice soft enough that she didn’t provoke the baby. It wasn’t that hard really, as long as she kept from getting too loud.

“A few minutes older, yes. But not bigger. Now come and help me.”

She did, though moving her suitcases and holding a bundle of horse-baby at the same time was a fresh strain for her concentration.

The front door banged open abruptly, fast enough that the baby jerked awake again, making a few nervous squeaks and trying to shield her eyes with her wings.

Two of them carried flashlights, the other two just wore moving gloves. “In the back,” one of them said, though his voice caught as soon as he got a good look at them. “O-oh… damn. It really is animals in here.”

“Not by choice,” Kara said, sticking her tongue out. “We’re still people, or almost.”

The man grunted in response. “Alright then, almost people. Get all the way into the back of the truck. These things yours?” he glanced down at the small pile of bags. “Horses with suitcases. I’ve seen everything.”

“Not yet you haven’t,” Kyle said, trying to soothe Fay with a gentle stroke from her hoof down one side. “Not until you piss her off too badly, and she decides to blast you like she did us. You should keep your distance.”

They did, backing away from the three of them as they made their way out the open door and into the crisp night air.

PreviousChapters Next