• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,527 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,527

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Gatecrash

Twilight prepared for two full days before making the first crossing herself.

It wasn’t just that the world on the other side might’ve defied the readings of her probe, though that was certainly possible.

“You’re one of the best spellcasters in Equestria, Twilight. Can’t you just go and adapt?”

Twilight crouched low over the complex mechanism she was soldering, a necklace of two interlocking pieces of gold. Less than a year ago, such a valuable piece of spellcasting hardware would have been entirely out of reach, no matter how necessary she might think it was.

But Twilight’s world was different now.

“It isn’t enough to know the spells myself. A single step into another world could bring dangers so quickly, you could never react. It might make magic more difficult, stranding you on the other side forever.”

She tapped the necklace with a hoof, grinning proudly. “This should equip its wearer and anyone she’s with for almost anything. Poison atmosphere, dangerous diseases, temperature fluctuations, hostile weather. Hostile creatures, plagues of locust…”

“Locust?” Spike raised an eyebrow. “Don’t you think that’s a little over prepared?”

She only shook her head. “There’s no such thing. Remember how much faster than any other ponies we’re already being here. We’re exploring a parallel universe within a few days of discovering it.”

“Maybe.” Spike backed away. “At least if you’d gone a little quicker, she might not be here.” He pointed towards the open window, tensing nervously. Twilight hadn’t even looked, but she turned just in time to see a familiar carriage touching down not far from the castle.

The poor pegasus driving it collapsed right where they stood, like they’d been flying nonstop all night.

Oh buck.

Cadance wasn’t as good with casual teleportation, but even so she had very little time to prepare. She’s here. How did she know?

“Twilight!” She burst into the lab a few minutes later, banging the door open against the wall.

Cadance barely even looked recognizable anymore. Her mane was cut short, trimmed away to the length of the military buns used by female guardsponies. Her eyes were perpetually bloodshot, and the smell of crystal perfumes was missing.

At least she hadn’t dragged Shining along for a scientific expedition where he could do nothing to help.

“You’ve found the place?”

Twilight settled the heat-crystal into its holster on the table, dropping the filament. “No. A probe brought back a sample from a compatible world space. But my tracking spell can’t establish a match conclusively. The recall spell… wasn’t finely tuned from the factory. The sample was badly burned by Equestrian magic, and the probe was lost.”

Cadance’s eyes twitched, her wings half-extending. It was a familiar posture, one she’d learned after years of friendship with Rainbow. It was the stance a pegasus used who was about to lunge at something. Cadance didn’t, though her eyes were wild enough that it was hard to say she wouldn’t. “So what did the next drone say?”

“There is no next drone. Manehattan is still scaling up production. The one we lost was a test of their process, and… clearly it wasn’t precise enough.”

Cadance advanced on her. “Yet you wouldn’t leave my daughter waiting if you had thought you found her. I’m sure you were about to write me.”

Twilight remained in her seat. Cadance’s mental health was terrifying enough, but she wasn’t going to start feeling afraid of family. It wasn’t her fault she was so upset. If Twilight had a foal, she’d probably be just as hurt. “I intended to go myself and verify what the probe found. If it was right, I would’ve told you to join me at Flurry’s Vigil. If not…” She shook her head. “Look at you, Cadance. I didn’t want to get your hopes up for nothing.”


Cadance kept glaring at her for a few moments more, puffing up her chest indignantly. But then the front dissolved, and she collapsed where she stood. “You haven’t found her.”

“Not yet.” Twilight rose from her seat, stretching a wing over Cadance’s shoulders. “I will tell you when I’m there. But I can’t imagine what it would be like to hope every time we make some slight breakthrough, only for it to be something else over and over. I’ll tell you the moment I get close. That was always my intention.”

Cadance sobbed for a few seconds, burying her face in Twilight’s wing. Her breakdown lasted only for a few moments, though. She pushed away, rising back to her full height. “You were going to go and check for yourself? How soon?”

Twilight’s cautious plans dissolved. How could she tell a mother with a face of smeared makeup and tears that she was waiting a few more days to concentrate the magic?

“Tomorrow morning, after a full night’s sleep. I can’t help Flurry if I get trapped beyond the Veil of Stars, or killed by some monster beyond time.”

“Tomorrow morning,” Cadance repeated, gritting her teeth. “Then I’ll be coming with you.”


On the surface, having another Alicorn to accompany her was beyond Twilight’s wildest dreams for mission preparation. Two of them could accomplish spells that a single one never could imagine.

But they weren’t traveling to take the Elements of Harmony and fight some unknown danger. There was an infinite expanse of worlds beyond Equestria, and no telling what waited in any of them.

All they really had to do was step across, bring a tracking spell, and learn whether they were in the right place. It might not even take ten minutes.

But Cadance hadn’t come to her position through the arcane, as Twilight had. To some extent, her ascension had been by birth, the long bloodline of the Crystal Empire resurfacing in the children of its ancient refugees.

Cadance had power, but nearly as little experience using it as Trixie had with the Alicorn Amulet. Making creatures fall in love was an incredible power, but also totally useless to their mission.

Still, she could come up with no tactful way to refuse her. Suggestions that there might be ponies better suited to the task went entirely ignored. Asking if Cadance would rather pick one of her magical experts, or even a soldier from the Crystal Guard, were similarly rejected.

Morning came, and Twilight stood at the threshold of her transport spell with nervous anticipation bubbling in her chest and spoiling her appetite.

The portal had been moved to a large enclosure behind the castle, a dome of glass held up by a thin spiderweb of crystal. A shield as powerful as the defenses around Canterlot during the changeling invasion glowed around the dome, and fences ten feet high were placed at another five hundred feet out. Twilight might have to do her experiments in Ponyville thanks to proximity, but that didn’t mean she was taking the safety of its residents casually. This was still her home.

The dome itself was relatively empty, with rings of decreasing safety marked in bright paint leading to where the portal would form in densely wrapped wire and little crystal studs.

The machines already hummed as Twilight finally stepped into the innermost ring. In addition to the necklace, Twilight wore heavy boots and a whole saddlebag of scientific equipment. She was the first pony since Clover to set hoof somewhere totally alien.

Or maybe the second, since Cadance was beside her. The other Alicorn had changed almost nothing since the day before, except that she’d borrowed a set of crystal armor from one of the pegasi who flew her here. It fit oddly, though she levitated the spear beside her through a series of skillful twists.

Did she learn that from Shining? Instead of studying more about magic, Cadance had spent the last month learning how to fight.

“Are you ready, Twilight?” she asked, smacking the butt of her spear against the cement. “I don’t want to keep Flurry waiting.”

Twilight nodded. It was a lie, but it didn’t feel like a longer delay was going to make much difference. She’d done everything she could with the time she had. Unless she developed the bravery to send Cadance away while she spun a glittering crystal spear beside her face, she should probably just get this over with.

“Spike, how do we read?” she asked, circling slowly around to face the controls.

There were half a dozen other creatures in here, though only two mattered to her. Starlight and Spike were the only ones she trusted to operate the portal when her own life was at stake, instead of a fancy bit of gold clockwork.

“Worldgate cohesion is green,” Spike said. “I think that’s what all these lights mean.”

Starlight glanced down over his shoulder. “Looks like we have safe temperature on the other side, plenty of air, and no physical obstructions within range of the portal. Ground level should be less than a hoof, so expect a drop.”

Twilight reached down, twisting her necklace until the little carved clock icon glowed in the selection window. “I’m preparing for a ten-minute trip. If we aren’t back by then, use a recall spell. But don’t send a recovery team. Anything that could kill two Alicorns might…”

Starlight raised a hoof to silence her. She understood the danger, even if Cadance obviously didn’t. “I understand, Twilight. We’ll keep Equestria safe.”

“I’m coming for you, Flurry,” Cadance whispered, mostly to herself. “Just a little longer.”

Twilight felt the spell take her a second later, and her stomach dropped abruptly out of her chest. It was a little like the Mirror Portal, without any of the careful engineering to transform the one stepping through. Twilight squinted her eyes shut, and tumbled blindly through the void.

PreviousChapters Next