• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,528 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,528

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Transit Crew

Kyle wasn’t sure what she would’ve expected from a grocery truck used to transport animals that shouldn’t exist. Maybe there would be a makeshift stable inside, with harnesses to contain them like dumb animals.

It seemed the opposite was true, and barely anything had been done to accommodate them for the trip. There was shiny metal on the walls and floor where shelves running down either side of the truck looked freshly removed, but otherwise it hadn’t been altered at all. A large pile of moving blankets was shoved up against the back, near where a faint curtain of warm air wafted in through the climate control. At least they wouldn’t be freezing in the back of the truck during the whole trip.

“How long is the drive?” Kyle asked, as soon as she’d made it to the end and settled onto her haunches on a blanket. There were no restraints at all in here, no seatbelts, no chairs.

The men only grunted in response. Well, one of them did. The rest only pretended not to hear, and started loading suitcases between them and the doors. These weren’t being left to slide around wildly in shipping, they’d brought straps and tie-downs and they went to work with both.

Fay babbled unhappily, waving one hoof through the air in front of her. She’d seen that gesture before—the baby didn’t like the dark.

Kyle nodded sympathetically, then concentrated on her illumination spell. She’d been up so late by now, and only used it twice—but the light seemed so simple to her now that she wondered how she hadn’t figured it out on her own already. It felt like reciting the multiplication tables she’d memorized in grade school. “How’s that?”

Fay squealed with delight, sounding wide awake now. She poked Kyle in the face with a hoof, obviously reaching for her horn. Without success, as Kyle pushed her just out of reach. She wasn’t sure what touching that organ during an active spell would even do. Maybe if I’m not careful I’ll hit Fay with too much magic and accidentally change her into a real baby.

At least then they wouldn’t be running out of diapers.

Dad appeared in the back of the truck as the moving crew were finishing up. There was no furniture, barely any boxes. Kara had been right about this—they weren’t planning on moving out. “Sorry this isn’t more comfortable,” he said, stepping over the suitcases. Both arms were full of blankets and pillows, nearly covering him completely. “It’s a long drive north, thought you might want some of these.”

Kara approached him, though of course she had no way to actually take the offered blankets. It was a moot point, because Dad didn’t let her get that close. He lowered the bundle to the floor of the truck, then took a few steps back.

“They won’t say how long the drive is,” Kara muttered, annoyed. “Do you know?”

Dad nodded. “We won’t make the whole thing at once. We’ll have to stop to let you all, uh… use the facilities. It’s about ten hours of driving if we never stop.”

Kyle brushed aside his morbid curiosity over what they would have to do with real farm animals, that couldn’t be asked to please not drink too much before and then hold it during the drive. She dismissed the question—Dad wouldn’t know, and it didn’t really matter. The answer was probably gross anyway. “Fay isn’t going to be happy about that,” she said instead. “She’s never driven before, and she hates the dark. She’s already made both of us into horses, so what does she do next?”

The thought was terrifying enough that they were both silent. Kara broke the silence, annoyed. “Just grab that big propane light.”

Alan shook his head again. “Confined space, and it might fall over while we’re driving. But there are trailer lights up there, I’ll just ask the driver to turn them on when we start. Probably just wanted to make it easier for you to sleep.”

Kyle probably would, if only because she’d stayed up so long without even a few moments to rest. But if Fay was unhappy, that alone might make the trip impossible. “Some light would be great,” Kyle said again, more subdued this time. “Just get that on for us, and we’ll focus on… preventing a disaster back here.”

“Good.” Dad backed away, looking as exhausted as Kyle felt. “We can only rely on the family for so much hospitality.” He lowered his voice, obviously just intended for them. But just because Kyle couldn’t see the movers didn’t mean they weren’t listening. “You know the family. We need their help, so we don’t have a choice about going there. But that help will come with a price.”

Kyle shivered, but didn’t get a chance to say anything else before Dad slipped past the luggage and down to street level. A few moments later and one of the movers appeared, slamming the back of the truck closed. She heard the sound of a lock clicking into place seconds later. There would be no getting out until the trip was over—unless Fay did something incredibly stupid.

“All this because you found an animal out in the woods,” Kara muttered. Her voice wasn’t exactly angry, but she wasn’t trying terribly hard to be nice either. “Too bad you didn’t go to the game with us.”

Fay probably would’ve died if nobody came for her. Either that, or maybe she’d have exploded like a supernatural atomic bomb and taken the rest of us with her.

The baby squeaked curiously, drawing her attention towards her. She squirmed and wiggled in her grip for a few seconds, fighting against the cloth Kyle had wrapped her in. But Kyle hadn’t expected the drive to be simple.

Fay rose to unsteady hooves, wobbling on the pile of blankets. Kara dragged over the others their father had brought, piling up the pillows nearby into an ineffectual wall.

The lights came on a moment later, a steady glow from the ceiling that didn’t quite approach enough to make Kyle comfortable. She hesitated for a moment, then stopped her glowing spell.

Fay reacted instantly, making a few unhappy sounds. “I guess you like the magic?” Kyle scooped her back up, trying to soothe her. “Sorry, I can’t keep that up for ten hours.”

The engine rumbled from somewhere not too far away, then they began to move. Fay tucked her head into Kyle’s chest, squealing in sudden fear and surprise. But there was nothing she could do but hold her with a wing as they pulled out of the driveway and onto the road.

“Ten years from now, when this is over and we’re grown up… there are gonna be some stories,” Kara muttered. She settled down onto the pile of blankets, covering her head with a pillow. She kept talking, voice muffled. “I thought I’d have the best blackmail ever. If you ever got too rowdy at parties or wanted to date a girl I hated, I could threaten to tell her you’d been a horse for a few weeks. Now, though… it’s not fair.”

“We did everything else together,” Kyle whispered. Most of her attention was for Fay, but so far the baby didn’t seem like she would do anything apocalyptic. Maybe she would actually make it through the trip without exploding on them. “Until freshman year. Something was going to bring us back together again.”

Even in the dim light she could see Kara’s head snap up to glare at her. “You could’ve kept this one, thanks.” She rolled to one side, apparently oblivious of how not-wearing-anything she was. “You think the creepy girl was trying to make your little bomb go off? You keep poking an alligator enough times, and it bites. That seems like something some evil scientists would want to test. What are the limits of our new mysterious weapon? How can we use it against our enemies?”

Kyle shook her head reflexively. “I don’t see what good it is to have a bomb that mostly just makes people into horses. That’s most of what she’s done. Which probably means they would’ve known that was a likely outcome. But it really could just be incompetence.”

Kara shrugged, somehow still visible despite the strange way she reclined. Probably a horse thing. “I don’t really care why they did it, I hate it. The family could help when it was just you, and I could keep living my life. Not anymore.”

The ground rumbled and shook as they twisted to one side, then down. We made it to the freeway. Just ten hours to go, but ten hours to where?

“I heard from Monday again,” Kyle said. In her arms, Fay had stopped squirming. One glance told her that she was already returning to sleep. Maybe the trip wouldn’t be as bad as she’d feared. “They gave me a chunk of a book this time, filled with all kinds of magic stuff. Before they give me any more, they want me to come up with my own spell.”

Kara jerked suddenly upright, dislodging several pillows and even making Fay twitch briefly in surprise. “You just thought you’d mention that now?”

“You were asleep! Besides, I’ve been reading it. Getting you up to give you the news would mean less time studying. You should be happy.”

Kara was silent for another moment, interrupted only by the constant rumble and roar of the highway underneath them. Kyle had never ridden in one of these before, and now she never wanted to again.

“I assume this time you got the missing pieces to change us back?”

Kyle chuckled. “Nothing even close. If I had to guess, changing people into different things must be some real expert-level stuff. Monday didn’t even think it was possible before, remember? They said it would wear off, and wanted me to wait until I started changing back.”

“Then I hope you’re ready for hard work,” Kara said, tapping one hoof loudly against the metal floor. Even if she wasn’t transparent anymore, it sounded like knocking a coke glass up against a car. “I’m guessing we won’t be doing much homeschool stuff up at our mysterious grandfather’s mysterious estate. A problem like that would just go away. That means you can focus on magic full time.”

“Sure,” she answered, settling onto her side. There was no helping how exposed she felt barely fitting in this awful truck. All she could do now was wait it out. “All the time I’m not getting probed by evil doctors or taking care of Fay, I’ll be right on it.”

PreviousChapters Next