• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,528 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,528

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56: Final Countdown

Twilight's eyes darted between the soldier and his weapon, eyes narrowing. If it were anything like the ones the other humans used, it couldn't be terribly threatening. But killing one of the guards here would not improve their odds to negotiate a peaceful release.

"We're not a threat to you," she said, turning her hands toward him. Her other friends all followed suit, freezing in place. "We've come to talk about the baby you're holding downstairs. Nopony has to get hurt."

Twilight couldn't possibly miss the recognition on his face. He tried to hide it, gesturing angrily with the gun. "The three of you, by the gate. Any sudden moves, and I shoot you. Get where I can watch you, then I'll call down."

Twilight did, moving slowly towards the wrapped-chain gate that separated the top of the hill from the wilderness around it.

"I don't see the point of this," Rainbow muttered. "It's not like we're leaving without Flurry. When do the hooves fly?"

Twilight stiffened at the expression, but forced herself to remain calm. "Any creature who takes hostages has shown how far they will go," she said. "By definition, they threaten the lives of an innocent creature. Many are willing to kill their victim, rather than let them escape."

Rainbow paled, but didn't object further. Applejack, by contrast, only watched. She looked between the alien and his little security shed, maybe noticing the same thing Twilight did. There wasn't anyone inside.

"You reckon that thing is dangerous?" Applejack asked. "I could take him, even stretched out and monkified. Say when."

"We're talking first," Twilight whispered back. "There's a chance they'll try to move Flurry again, but not without getting past us."

"Quit that," the alien said. "Don't think I can't see you whispering over there. Stand still, I promise I can still kill one of you with my phone in the other hand. You don't want to risk it could be you."

"Don't need to be so unreasonable about it," Applejack called. "We're waitin'."

He lifted something small and rectangular from his pocket, the same shape Twilight had seen from several of the aliens in their world. He touched it a few times, then held it up to his head. "Yes, Akiko. Perimeter alert. Three, uh... fucking weirdos just showed up, want to talk about a baby with whoever is in charge here."

He paused, as though actually speaking to someone. Obviously he is, somehow. We underestimated how much magic they would have protecting Flurry.

"Right, ma'am. I'll tell them."

He held the object out towards them in one hand, stretching it as far away as he could. At the same time, he kept the weapon trained on Twilight's chest with his other hand. "You want to talk to our boss? She's waiting."

"Finally," Rainbow said. "We don't have all day here."

Twilight glared sideways at Rainbow, before stepping forward with her hand outstretched. She took the rectangle, then looked back at the guard. He retreated a few nervous steps, out of reach. Whatever he heard made him more afraid of us than he was before. Why?

She opened her mouth to ask how the magic worked, but then the box started talking, and she didn't have to.

"Don't waste my time," it said, in a voice so similar to Twilight's own that Rainbow and Applejack shared a confused glance. "Whatever Order you're from, there's nothing you could offer me worth more than the specimen. I'm not beholden to your authority. I won't be intimidated away from my research. I promise that any attempt to penetrate my sanctum by force will result in the destruction of your target. You may kill me, but you may not have the specimen."

Applejack pawed angrily at the ground. The gesture did seem somewhat strained with alien shoes instead of hooves to do it with.

She's open with her threats. She isn't even pretending to kindness or decency. It was exactly the worst kind of enemy. Now why did she sound so much like Twilight?

"We are not from an Order," she said. "My friends and I represent the universe she was taken from. Return Flurry Heart to us, and you may name your price in exchange."

The guard laughed, and his aim suffered for it. The voice in his magical device did not.

"Any price I wish?" asked the speaker. "Powers from another universe... How did you follow her here? There are infinitely many possible worlds. Even the finest tracking spell would leave thousands to search."

"There were thousands to search," Twilight said. "The foal you have hostage is the heir of an empire. Her mother would rather negotiate her peaceful return. You walk away from this with magical wealth, and she gets her daughter."

There was a much longer silence this time. While the voice didn't answer, Twilight heard something moving under their feet, something strained and mechanical. But she couldn't identify it, and soon enough the sound faded.

"The simplest exchange would be another of her species, but I realize I already have that. There's no reason for this to come to violence, when we can resolve this like civilized folk. In exchange for the heir, I wish for... Aperion. Do you know of it?"

Her friends looked baffled, as of course they would. Twilight was far more confused by the tone, and why an alien world would use the same terms for so much magic. "We could not make very much, or very quickly. How much?"

"We could negotiate installments," the voice answered. "I wouldn't return the hostage until I was paid, but until then... I would let you send inspectors, to verify her health, and even to stay and help care for her if you wish. Say, one kilogram. That's the mass of one liter of water if you—" She stopped abruptly. "Foolish, that's just another unit in our measurement system."

Twilight didn't know how much a liter was, but from the tone the speaker used, she didn't need to know. To her knowledge, only Starswirl had ever created the strange meta-material, in quantities so low that he had invented a microscope to observe them.

Even if the Crystal Empire devoted itself to making nothing else, it would take years. "Your request overestimates our abilities," Twilight said. "Faust-steel isn't something we can make like you ask. But we could offer you many other things in exchange. Gold, gemstones, thaumic crystals. Crafted spells, airships. The Crystal Empire is wealthy."

She said she had her own subject. That's the alien who helped Flurry. We can't leave them behind. "And... we can't leave our own kind imprisoned here. We would need the baby's caregiver as well."

The silence stretched on even longer this time. While they waited, a door in the mountain opened. A dozen humans appeared from within, pouring out. Every one of them aimed their weapons at Twilight and her friends.

"Or..." said the rectangle. "I could acquire a few more subjects. A native of your universe old enough to speak will be a far more useful specimen. Don't bother threatening me—I know how hard the universal barrier is to cross. The Body Invisible won't tolerate an invasion." The device clicked, then went silent.

Twilight had only moments to process what to do. If they didn't surrender, would the unknown enemy who waited below kill Flurry?

No, not if she was so unwilling to trade with outsiders. She'd threatened that option if they tried to fight their way in.

But what if we don't have to fight our way in? Their enemy had given them a far simpler option. She wanted new specimens. That alien had no idea what she was dealing with. "We surrender!" Twilight yelled, holding her hands higher over her head.


Kyle had high hopes for her grandfather's capabilities now that he had been restored. Taking away the spell wouldn't make him a good person—he'd probably never been one, or anything close. But he was skilled, and he cared about his family. She could ask for nothing more.

Then came the buzzing and grinding sound of the interior gate opening. Kyle considered briefly passing Fay to her sister before investigating it—but Kara didn't really have anything she could do to keep Fay safe. Akiko had magic, and Kara just had her size.

"Together," she said, resolved. "No more letting them walk all over us."

Kara nodded her agreement. She touched one hoof to Kyle's shoulder. "If we have to fight?"

Kyle's horn lit up, as she prepared her simple attacking spell. Without instruction, Fay settled on her back, pressing herself flat. "You know how afraid we are," Kyle whispered. "You're in the right place. Stay with me, Fay. I'll protect you."

She led the way into the office, and wasn't surprised to find Akiko waiting there, with a bundle under one arm. There were no guards, no soldiers—not even Grandpa.

"Glad to see you're both doing well," she said. "It's come to my attention that my position here may be untenable. If we're going to get you out of this safely, I need you to follow me."

"Where's Grandpa?" Kara asked, with a tone of forced casualness. "He said he was gonna talk with you. If we're in danger, shouldn't he be helping us?"

Akiko's face twitched. "He's been indisposed. Ordinary people don't react well to magical exposure, even if they understand the power of magic on an intellectual level. He'll need time to recover—too long to help. But he left me instructions to get you all out of here safely. Follow me."

She pointed through the opening behind her, into her lab. There's no exit down there. There's only one way out, and it opens at the front of our enclosure.

Kyle followed. It didn't matter how confident Akiko sounded, though she made no obvious signs she was lying to them. "Where will we go?" she asked, following Akiko. She slowed near her computer, before levitating it up into the air beside her. "Another safehouse?"

"Something like that," Akiko said. "We'll ride you there safely, don't worry." Her eyes lingered near the laptop, but she ultimately just shrugged and started walking again. She put her back to the two of them, apparently convinced. It's now or never.

We're getting out, all right. Just not with you. Kyle conjured the weaker of her two attacking spells, aiming it squarely at Akiko’s retreating back.

Sirens began to blare, and lights started flashing. Kyle's spell flashed and glowed through the air, leaving a nimbus trail of purple light leading directly back to her.

The bundle under Akiko's arm flashed and glowed, surrounding her with an envelope of force in an eyeblink. The spell struck it, echoing like a gunshot all around them. But she didn't fall, didn't even flinch.

Kyle ground her teeth together, and stopped restraining herself. She called on the stronger force spell, the one that went off like a gun. This time a bubble of light solidified around Akiko, briefly obscuring her as the attack struck. Fay whimpered and started to sniff, obviously frightened.

Akiko spun slowly in place, tossing aside the cloth concealing what she had brought. It was a spell, a complex mechanism of wire and crystal about the size of a softball. She held it by a precision grip milled around the outer edge, protecting her fingers from the glowing orange filaments deeper within.

"If you're quite finished," she said, her tone only annoyed. She took a single step towards them, holding the sphere out in front of her this time. "Practicing magic in secret was one thing—I might not have noticed. But undoing my work right in front of me? Monday taught you well."

How do you know that name? Kyle lashed out again, one final, desperate strike. The air chilled around her, a few nearby lights exploded, and force shot out of her horn like a lance.

This time Akiko reacted. She flicked her hands through the air in a swift, purposeful movement—and vanished, dodging out of the way of the attack. It struck the cement wall behind her, cracking instantly. The damage spread several feet in all directions, before the chunks sloughed off the wall.

She reappeared a second later, slightly to the left. She removed one hand from her pocket—not with a gun, but something worse. A radio. She held the button down, then spoke loudly enough for them to hear. "I'm coming down to the lab. If I don't arrive in three minutes, kill the captured mage. Then collapse the entrance."

"Understood, ma'am," answered a brusque voice. "What about the crew coming down from the surface, with the intruders?"

"You heard my orders," Akiko said. "If you don't see me in three minutes, detonate the entrance."

"Yes ma'am," the voice answered.

"So you see," she said, pocketing it. "Attack me again if you wish. But it isn't just my life you're taking. Your erstwhile instructor will die, then you'll be trapped down here to waste away. I suggest you follow me: it's a long way to walk."

"How do you know about Monday?" Kyle asked, not even trying to restrain her anger anymore.

"My perimeter guards caught her yesterday, sneaking onto the grounds. Brought down two men before I was able to intervene. I assure you, the security force is eager to even the score with her. But cooperate, and no one dies. Come with me."

Kyle had no choice but to follow.

PreviousChapters Next