• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 2,933 Views, 90 Comments

Ace Combat - Battle for Equestria - Lonewolf78



War has broken out between the Solar Empire, New Lunar Republic, and Legion of Discord.

  • ...
5
 90
 2,933

Bonus Chapter: Attack on the Eclipse

Battle group description

Eclipse: Improved Nimitz class CVN
Raven: Ticonderoga class CG
Swordfish: LA class SSN
Cottonmouth: Spruance DDG
Coral: Udaloy class DD
Redler: Perry class FFG
Wichita class AOE



Western Sea
23 miles NW of Las Pegasus
September 27 2017
18:21 hours.

The LRS Eclipse had sent most of it's aircraft out on a bombing mission against the Solar Empire, aside from a few out of service planes and five MiG-29'Ks for area defense of the battle group. Everything was routine until the cruiser LRS Raven made a call.

"Raven to Eclipse: We're picking up ten bandits 150 miles out. Bearing 340, 200 AGL".

"Roger that. Battle stations!" replied the captain.

"Sir that sounds like a profile for anti ship missile launch," commented the Eclipse's radar operator.

"I know," he replied.

All of the ships prepared for the approaching planes, which were more than likely Solar Empire ones as Legion of Discord aircraft didn't operate that far. The five MiG's were vectored towards them.

Then a few minutes later, more bad news.

"Ten more bandits. Bearing 270, angels ten."

"Damn. Get the air force to send a squadron out. We might need help with this one," announced the captain.

Then came the worst news of all.

"Vampire inbound! bearing 340... Sir multiple vampires inbound from 340!"

"Get all defenses active! have our...."

"Raven to Eclipse! more vampires and fifteen bandits inbound from the southwest! Bearing 231!"

"Sir our planes are engaging the bandits on 340."

"That's of little comfort right now," the unicorn replied.

"Con - radio. The air force has a squadron inbound from the east."

"Roger. I hope they get here in time."

The other warships began to engage the anti ship missiles. There was around 30 approaching from two directions so it wasn't easy. Things were going ok, until a slip up happened and the CIWS on the Coral fired on a Standard SAM the the Cottonmouth launched at one.

"It hit the wrong missile!"

The Exocet slammed into the Coral, blowing a huge hole in the side and setting it on fire.

"The Corals been hit! She's listing to port!"

"Con radar. Ten more bandits inbound from 290, 132 miles out".

Meanwhile the MiG's had engaged and shot down four of the bandits that launched the first missile attack, and chased the rest off. They were now over 30 miles away, which allowed the other Solar Empire planes to slip in.

As more Exocets continued to come in, there was more bad news from the Raven.

"Raven to all ships: The ten bandits from the west have launched vampires!"

"Keep the CIWS and RAMs on auto," the captain of the Eclipse announced.

The missiles were anti radiation, and homed in on the signals from the ships and anti aircraft weapons. One of the Raven's arrays was knocked out along with the radars on the other ships in the battle group. A couple of Phalanx CIWS mounts were also hit.

"Dammit we're almost blind! where's those air force planes?"

"Before we lost the radar they were supersonic at 41 miles out," replied the Eclipse radar operator.

"Raven to Eclipse: Our planes are engaging the bandits that launched the anti radiation missiles. And the other group of ten are climbing and continuing on this course."

"They have bombs then," replied the captain.

The MiGs made it back, but soon found themselves outnumbered, and two were shot down. The remaining three did the best they could to stay out of the 12's of the F-2's, but it wouldn't be long before they were shot down too.

"This is Storm Four I can't shake them!"

Then suddenly the bandits broke off, and shortly afterwards exploded.

"Razgriz lead to Eclipse battle group: We have arrived."

"Roger! Get them!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5bkGi1XIEQ

The Razgriz was the NLR Air Force's mercenary squadron. It was mostly made up of pilots who had their own planes, and NLRAF pilots with one off examples of planes the air force tested. Or in the case of the squadron leader, captured. All of the pilot owned planes had custom paint schemes.

"Sparkler: Take half of the team and go help out the navy planes. The rest of you follow me," Thunderbolt said. And they split off to intercept the 15 bandits that were starting their dive on the battle group. The CIWS on the warships opened up and managed to take out four of the Rafale M's, but the rest managed to release their bombs and pull up before three more were shot down by the defenses.

The Coral took a hit, blowing a hole in the center and finishing it off. The Redler took two bombs to the fantail, while the oiler took a hit, setting off a large fire and several explosions as fuel and ordnance went up.

The Eclipse took four hits. Blowing a hole in one starboard elevator, and three more in the deck. Destroying a couple of out of service hornets that were on the deck, and a few more in the hangar deck below. Starting several fires.

"WE'RE HIT!"

"Damage control fire on the flight and hangar decks! Respond immediately!" announced the captain. "XO what's the status of the group?"

"The Coral and Redler are sinking and the crew is abandoning ship. The oiler is on fire and our flight deck is out of commission," he replied.

"Get the fires out and prepare to rescue the survivors."

"They're engaging. Rafale M's", Gusty announced.

"Send them to Tartarus," replied Thunderbolt. The Solar pilots were shocked to see one of their Typhoons diving in behind them.

"Fox two!" yelled Whirlwind. He fired a sidewinder and took out their squadron commander. In short order Emerald Dream shot down one with a gun kill, and Skywishes targeted another that was trying to dive on the crippled oiler again.

"Oh no you don't!" she yelled as she got a lock and fired a sidewinder, taking him out.

Meanwhile Zap was engaging the F-2's with the three remaining Eclipse planes. Storm Four took out one, then Zap shot one off his tail. While this was going on, the Raven managed to take out two more planes with SAMs.

"They better watch where they're shooting those," Ice Swirl said as she took out a Rafale.

Chief took another out with a gun kill. Magnet Bolt had one on his tail, but he did a cobra and got behind him. One archer took him down. At this point the rest tried to run, but only two would be returning home.

But it still wasn't over.

"Raven to Eclipse: Ten more bandits inbound from 290 at 72 miles."

"Must be more bombers. Otherwise they would've launched by now," commented Zap. After Storm Three took out the last F-2, the group formed up and headed for the approaching bandits.

"If any of you have fox three's left, use them now," announced Whirlwind.And so once they got within range, the group fired at the bandits, who turned and ran when they saw the volley of missiles coming. Two didn't make it though.

"Razgriz One to battle group: Remaining bandits are turning tail and heading home." The crews on all of the ships breathed a sigh of relief.

"Roger Razgriz. Remain on station as long as you can," replied the Eclipse captain.

"This is the 33rd tac' fighter squadron. We're in the area now too," announced another voice over the radio.

"All engines stop, prepare to accept survivors, " the captain announced.

"Sir the crews are getting the fires under control," the Eclipse XO said to him.

"Very good. Have CENTCOM notify our planes to not return here and divert to NAS Baltimare. Once the fires are out and rescues completed, set a course for Las Pegasus harbor. We'll see if we can get us and the oiler repaired a bit," he replied.

Forty minutes later the fires were out and the crews from the two ships that were sunk, plus any downed pilots were rescued, and the battle group headed for Las Pegasus. There would only be room for the Eclipse in the harbor though, and it would be a tight fit.

"We're bingo fuel Leopards. Take the ball," Thunderbolt said.

"Roger. Have a safe flight back," replied the commander of the Snow Leopards.

"Damn. I wish we could have got there sooner," Cherry Treats said.

"I know, but at least we kept them from sinking the Eclipse. That would've been a major blow to us in this war," replied Zap.

"That was definitely a coordinated attack. I wonder if there was an intelligence leak somewhere?" Bubbles asked.

"If there is, our intell agency will find it," replied Thunderbolt. And the Razgriz headed for home.

Author's Note:

And here's a little something extra to the story.

15th TFS
"Razgriz"
P= pilot owned N=NLRAF owned

Pilot callsign plane
1. Thunderbolt "Whirlwind" EF-2000 (N)
2. Indigo Zap "Sparkler " F-16C (P)
3. Gusty "Whistler" F-16C (P)
4. Chief "Redskies" FA-18B (N)
5. Oberon "Draft " F-4C (P)
6. Baltazar "Fireball" Mirage 2000C (N)
7. Bubbles "Dazzle" F-15A (P)
8. Steamer "Razor" MiG-27 (N)
9. Cherry Treats "Cherry Bomb" MiG-2197 (P)
10. Nightwishes " Cypher" F-14B (N)
11. Magnet Bolt "Magneto" SU-30MKK (N)
12. Ice Swirl "Blitz" F-4J (P)
13. Emerald Dream "Medusa" Viggen (N)
14. Skywishes "Whisper" F-4E (P)
15. Silver Trance "Dreamer" Kfir (P)