• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 2,932 Views, 90 Comments

Ace Combat - Battle for Equestria - Lonewolf78



War has broken out between the Solar Empire, New Lunar Republic, and Legion of Discord.

  • ...
5
 90
 2,932

Chapter 12: Shepherds

Discord's Palace
1 October 2017
00:19 hours.

Once again Discord's 2nd in command showed up in his chamber. He was shaking a little because he knew what was coming.

"Um... Your excellency?"

"Ah yes. How did our attack go?" he replied.

"We had missiles strike Tall Tale and Manehattan in the Solar Empire, and Syskaia in the Republic."

"Are they leveled?"

"Um... no."

"YOU MEAN WE ONLY HIT THREE TARGETS OUT OF ALL OF THOSE MISSILES? AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN DESTROYED!?"

"Yes. And we lost... all but 3 of the subs," the Minotaur said in a tiny voice.

People who lived in the area of the presidential palace were woke up by an explosion and the sound of glass breaking. When it was over all of the windows in Discord's chamber had been blown out by his sudden rage explosion. The Minotaur was now cowering in a pool of yellow liquid.

"A lesser being would have given up by now, but since we still have our main event to use I guess we will just have to continue until it's ready," Discord said as he sat back down on his throne. "So how did it happen? I thought the Empire didn't have a good defense anymore?"

"Apparently the Air Forces on both sides are good. Pretty sure that Lunar squadron took care of some of them," he replied. We even heard a report that one of the NLR pilots warned the Empire ones of our stealth missiles. And speaking of the Republic: We're keeping the one sub that survived the Western attack on station out there as intelligence suggests an opportunity to hit the NLR Navy with a loss will happen on the 2nd."

Hmm. OK. See if they can do it," Discord replied.


_____________________


Canterlot Castle
1 October 2017
00:45 hours.


"What is the status Twilight?" Celestia asked.

"Not good, but it could have been worse," she replied. "The missile that hit Tall Tale has destroyed an estimated 16 structures, and we've got reports of 9 injuries so far. In Manehattan it's worse. one full block is on fire in the business district right now, and so far we've got 3 dead and 24 injured."

Celestia's heart sank. "Get as many Pegasi from Cloudsdale as possible with rain clouds. Keep the fires from spreading."

"Yes your highness," she replied.

"So how could it have been worse?" the alicorn inquired.

"We learned there were two types of missiles: Normal ones like those that hit, and some stealth ones that had massive warheads on them. All of those were destroyed," replied Twilight.

"How did we find out about those stealth ones?"

"That's the interesting part." During the Tall Tale attack one of the squadrons we sent out encountered a lone Republic plane that was chasing one of the missiles. The pilot of that plane warned our squadron about them, though they didn't believe him until he destroyed the missile."

Celestia was shocked. "Why would he do that?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. On a related note their city of Syskaia was hit by two of the small missiles."

She closed her eyes for a few seconds, then spoke again.

"That's all I need to know. Give me another update in the morning. And see if you can find out what squadron that NLR pilot was in," she said as she turned around.

"Yes princess," replied Twilight.

As Celestia laid down on her bed, she wondered:

"Why would one of them warn us? Could some Republic ponies not be blinded by hate and distrust? He saved thousands of lives by doing that."

_______________________


Whitemare AFB
2 October 2017
09:30 hours.

The squadron assembled in the conference room for the briefing on the day's mission.

"Alright, here's what we've got for you today," Moonstone said.

"As you probably know, the Eclipse was heavily damaged in an attack several days ago, and repair attempts were made at the port of Las Pegasus. Though they've repaired most of the damage, the ship must return to it's home port of Tenabry to finish it up. The Solar Empire knows about this, and is planning another attack on it. It's defense weapons are only at half capacity which means it couldn't survive another mass attack by the Empire."

She continued.

"Your job is to escort the Eclipse out to the Southwest where it will rendezvous with the Navy's new battleship, the LRS Pacific and it's small battle group. They will escort the Eclipse back to Tenabry under their substantial air defense net, which extends 50 miles from the ships. We know the Empire uses the Exocet which has a hundred mile range, so you must intercept all aircraft before they can get within range."

"Will there be any naval threats?" Maverick asked.

"No. We know where the Empire's ships are," she replied.

"What about that LoD sub that got away during the missile attack?"

"Hmmm. I didn't even think of that," Moonstone replied with a concerned look. "I never got word from Larkspur if they sunk it or not. I'll check with her and get back to you. Good luck guys."

"But weren't those subs launching ground attack missiles?" Dahlia asked Maverick.

"Yes, but don't forget they carry torpedoes also," he replied. Plus some can be used in both roles.

"Damn. We wouldn't have any way to counter them if they do that," added Ice.

"So how will Moonstone contact us if we're already in the air?" Sunfire asked.

"Our AWACS can relay her message," replied Maverick.


_____________________


Southwest of Las Pegasus, Equestria
13:22 hours.


The Eclipse was now 43 miles from the harbor. Lunar squadron continued a racetrack pattern around the carrier as it went along. They already had to do a midair refueling as they maintained their 50 mile range from the carrier.

"What's the status Guardian One?" Maverick asked.

"So far so good. The Eclipse is now 75 miles from the battle group. Once it gets within 50 it should be safe, unless a swarm attack is launched." 50 miles was the range of the SAM missiles on the two Ticonderoga class crusiers that were in the battle group. The squadron still didn't know what the Pacific had for it's defense weapons.

After a few minutes Guardian came on again.

"Ok Lunar squadron I just got word from Moonstone. The Navy lost track of the LoD sub 2 hours after the attack. The battle group has Seahawks out scanning the area and the Navy also has a P-3 en route."

"Roger, that's good to hear," Maverick replied. "If we see something we'll let you know."

"Roger Mav... Hold on." Guardian One stopped himself, then came on again.

"Guardian One to all planes. We're picking up 8 inbound bogeys from the Northwest. 5 high and 3 low. Range from you 74 miles."

"Roger Guardian we're on the way," replied Maverick.

"Those low flyers are definitely carrying Exocets. The others must be fighter cover," Glory commented.

"Yes. Concentrate on the low flyers first," he replied, and they turned and gunned it Northwest.

"Jade One to squadron: We've got 5 bandits inbound. Keep them away from the attackers," the Empire squadron commander said as they accelerated ahead to meet them.

"Standby for a missile exchange," Maverick said as both sides drew beads on each other. "Ice; you and Dahlia punch through and get to the low fliers.

"Roger Mav'," Ice replied. Soon the squadrons were in range of each other and the missiles flew. Out of a stroke of luck Sunfire's missile hit one of them.

"That was a lucky shot," she said.

They identified the bandits.

"More Typhoons," Glory said. Ice and Dahlia flew underneath them and identified the others.

"Mirages, and all of them have a pair of fish," Ice announced.

"Jade Three and Five get them," Jade One said.

"Roger," they replied as they turned and gave chase.

"Guardian One to Lunar squadron: The bombers are 119 miles from the carrier. Hurry up!"

Dahlia and Ice had just locked up two of the Mirages when Jade Three and Five got behind them.

"Ready to dance?" she asked Ice.

"Yep. On my mark." They got ready for the right moment.

"3-2-1- KICK!" Both of them did synchronized Cobras and got behind the bandits.

"Fox two!" both of them said as they fired their missiles, destroying both planes. The Mirages had already passed them so they had to turn around and give chase.

Meanwhile it was 3 on 2 at the other dogfight, and Jade One called in to their controller for help.

"Roger Jade One. Redler Squadron is en route with the other attackers. Try to hang in there."

Maverick got tone on Jade Four and fired. He failed to dodge it.

"Jade Four eject!" the commander yelled. He ejected just before it exploded.

At the same time Ice and Dahlia had closed in on the Mirages. Despite being fully loaded, the planes still had a fair amount of maneuverability. Both were still able to get kills though after an extended chase. The 3rd one had got away though and again they had to play catch up.

"Lunar squadron the final Mirage is 108 miles from the carrier. Get it!" Guardian One said.

"We're trying," Ice replied. They were now two miles behind it.

"We both fire a long range," Ice said to Dahlia. The got a lock and fired. The Mirage pilot held steady for as long as he could, then pulled up and fired both missiles. He paid for it though as both missiles connected with him.

"SHIT, Lunar 13 to Guardian we've got two missiles launched. We're going after them." The Eclipse was still 66 miles from the battle group.

"Roger. I'll contact the Eclipse. We also have a second group of bandits inbound. Six high and five low 58 miles out."

"DAMN that's too many for us! "Sunfire said.

"We've gotta' try. Maybe we can lead them into the battle group's defense net," replied Glory.

Ice and Dahlia were at full afterburner trying to catch the missiles. Theirs wouldn't lock onto them so they had to get in close and hit them with their guns.

"Nail em'," Ice said. They both fired on and destroyed them 34 miles from the carrier.

"Yeah!" Dahlia yelled. They turned back to meet up with the others.

Soon they got a call.

"Lunar squadron this is the LRS Pacific. We've got you and the Eclipse on radar." 9 more miles and it's safe."

"Roger Pacific.Guardian where are the bandits?"

"They're... only 50 miles out," he replied.

"They should be closer than that," commented Glory.

"They appear to have slowed down and have been changing course. In fact now they've turned away and are heading Southwest. Maintain your position for now."

"Roger Guardian," Maverick replied.

"What's going on?" Dahlia asked.

"I've got a feeling they've discovered the battle group is here also," he replied. "Maybe instead of the carrier they're going to try and hit the whole group."

"Perhaps waiting for reinforcements?" Sunfire said.

"Maybe. Guardian can you get another squadron in here?"

"Yes. The closest is Razgriz squadron. They can be here in 35 minutes."

"OK send them in," replied Maverick.

"Guess you finally get to meet them Spade," Glory said.

"Yep. We'll see what they're like. I've never seen a squadron made up of different planes before."

About 10 minutes later the group was continuing to shadow the carrier at 40 miles. The Empire planes were maintaining their distance of 110 miles from it.

"LRS Pacific to Lunar squadron: The Eclipse is now 4 miles from our coverage."

"Roger. We're almost there," Replied Maverick. "Guardian any sign of more Empire planes?"

"Unfortunately yes. ground radar is reporting some aircraft heading out to sea from Mountain View Base,and there's possibly more coming from Faircolt."

"Yep. They're definitely going to try and attack the group," Ice replied.

Just then Dahlia thought she saw something in the water off to their right.

"Guys I just saw something off to the right," she said.

"Like what?" Maverick asked.

"I'm not sure but something was disturbing the water," she replied as she turned around and flew towards where it was to get another look. When she got there she saw the object.

"Guy's we've got a periscope over here!"

"What?" Maverick yelled. Soon the whole squadron was heading for it. By the time they got there it was gone, so Sunfire flew up higher to get a good look at the water. She could just make out a large, narrow shadow in it.

"We've got a sub here!" she said.

"Guardian get the Seahawks here ASAP!" Maverick yelled.

"Roger they're on their way. ETA for the first one is 15 minutes."

A few minutes later a cruise missile shot out of the water and streaked towards the Eclipse.

"Missile launch!" Ice yelled.

"I'm on it. Get ready to chase after more," replied Maverick as he took off after it. He caught up with it at 18 miles and managed to get a gun kill on it.

As he turned around another was launched.

"I've got this one," Glory said.

"I figured they would've used all of them up in that attack," Dahlia commented.

"This sucks. We can't do anything about it," added Ice.

Then the periscope appeared again.

"Screw it I'm doing something," Dahlia said as she gunned it and headed up.

"What the hell are you doing?" Sunfire said. Dahlia then turned and headed back down. She straffed the periscope with her gun, and actually managed to hit it, knocking out the sub's eyes.

"OK that was wicked," Ice said. "At least they can't see us or the choppers now."

Meanwhile Glory had shot down the missile and was returning with Maverick when Guardian called in.

Guardian One to Lunar squadron: The Eclipse has entered the Pacific's air defense net. The first Seahawk is 3 minutes out, and Razgriz squadron is 17 minutes out."

"Roger Guardian," replied Maverick. Then a 3rd missile was launched by the sub.

"This one's mine," Sunfire said as she headed after it. This one seemed to be harder to catch up to. She caught it at 14 miles out, and also got a gun kill.

"Lunar squadron this is Harpoon One. We have arrived," said the helicopter pilot.

"Roger. Get it for us," replied Maverick.

The missile launches stopped as the sub dived to try and avoid any attacks. It wasn't long before the Seahawk had identified the target, and dropped it's pair of Mk. 46 torpedoes. A few minutes later there was an underwater explosion.

"This is Harpoon One. We have destroyed the target."

"Roger Harpoon," replied Guardian One. Now get back to your ships before those Empire planes come in."

A couple of minutes later the squadron got another call.

"Lunar Squadron this is Razgriz Squadron. We're pulling up on your left now." The group looked and saw the solid black Typhoon of the wing commander pull up with the others behind him. This squadron was made up entirely of aircraft the NLRAF only had one of (such as the captured Typhoon) and mercenaries who brought their own planes. As such no two were alike. One plane that they forgot about made their hearts skip a beat. It was an F-16 painted to look like a tiger. It stung because it was one of Angel's favorite planes. There was a picture in her room of her sitting in it.

"How's it going Cloud Dancer?" Ice asked.

"Pretty good," she replied. "Sorry to hear about Angel. I was hoping to meet her again. Are you guys doing alright? "

"Yeah we're fine," replied Glory.

"Well we finally meet Maverick," Whirlwind said. "I've heard a lot about you and what your wing has done in this war."

"Same here," he replied. It seems like we're both magnets to game changers."

Whirlwind laughed. "I hear that."

"Guardian One to all planes: the Empire aircraft are now inbound. We're picking up 35."

"Yikes! That's more than two to one!" Dahlia yelled.

"Us plus Razgriz plus and air defense net equals, no worries here," replied Sunfire.

"That's the way to take it," replied Cloud Dancer.

Then another call came in.

"All planes this is Geoffrey of the LRS Pacific. My battle group will keep their radars at low power until they're 30 miles in. Then we will ramp it up and let the missiles fly. I think we can give them a taste of their own medicine too."

"Roger Geoffrey. You certainly moved up didn't you?" Maverick replied.

"I know. I'm gonna' miss flying though. I'll try and sneak flights in every so often. I'm pissed over what happened to my old ship, so I'm looking for a little revenge myself."

"Well you may be about to get it," he replied.

29 minutes later the Eclipse was now 5 miles from the battle group, and the Empire planes were 19 miles from the squadrons.

"Alright let's do it!" Maverick announced. And the squadrons formed into three groups to do a pincher move on the bandits. The Razgriz approached from the front and left, while Lunar came in from the right. A furball ensued.

"Whirlwind to all planes: We've got Fulcrums and Typhoons for fighters and Tornadoes and Mirages for attack. Be advised the Mirages have Exocets."

"What?" Glory said. "Why didn't they launch them ear..."

Just then the flight of 5 did.

"Pacific there's 10 missiles inbound to you!" Cloud Dancer yelled.

"Roger. We're on it," Geoffrey replied. Two members of the Razgriz also took off in pursuit.

"Guess they figured they would have a better chance if they were closer," Ice commented.

The kills began to rack up. Maverick drew first blood, taking out a Fulcrum, followed by Cloud Dancer getting a Typhoon. Whirlwind took out four of the five Mirages as they tried to leave with a salvo of four Meteors. Dahlia got the 5th one.

The eight Tornadoes split into two groups, and another member of the Razgriz got on the tail of them. After taking out one he got jumped by two fighters. Glory and Sunfire got behind them and took both out.

"Thanks Lunar Squadron," the pilot replied.

Soon two more were downed too, and after two more fighter kills it was now 15 to 21. The two Razgriz that chased after the missiles had returned.

"Did you get them?" Maverick asked.

"We got three of them. The battle group got the rest," one pilot replied. "Wait til' you see what the Pacific has for them," the other said.

"Whoa really? Not bad."

"Pacific to Lunar One. What are those tornadoes armed with?"

"Just bombs," he replied.

"Let the rest come in."

"Are you sure?" Maverick couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Yes. Some of you can chase them here."

"Okay. Glory, Sunfire, follow me."

"Roger Spade," Glory replied, and they took off after the five tornadoes with two Typhoons behind them. All of the planes were now 36 miles from the battle group.

"We need to get these two off of us," Glory said.

"I'm on it," replied Sunfire. She did a sharp loop and got behind them. They peeled off, and she got behind them. As she tried for a double missile shot, one performed a cobra and got behind her.

"Damn," she said. But help had already arrived.

"I've got him Sunfire, Maverick said."

"Roger. Thanks." Soon both Empire aircraft were downed. The two then caught up to Glory.

At 14 miles the Pacific contacted them.

"OK. You guys peel off. We've got this."

"If you say so," replied Maverick. At 11 miles the battle group was clearly visible.

"Here we go!" Yelled Geoffrey. Suddenly the radars on the Pacific and the AEGIS crusiers went to full power. And the strength of the Pacific's air defense was shown. Four laser beams shot from the ship, downing four of the aircraft instantly. The 5th turned and tried to run, but got hit too.

"Holly shit!" Glory exclaimed.

"HA! How does it feel getting a taste of your own medicine you Empire pukes!" Sunfire yelled while doing a barrel roll.

"Say hello to the NLR Navy's latest innovation. The Laser Close In Weapons System," replied Geoffrey.

"The Navy spent all of that money upgrading the RAM and Phalanx ones while making that?" Glory said.

"Did you ever think that's where some of the money for those might have gone? You know to keep it a secret?" Maverick said.

"Oh yeah," replied Glory.

Then the two cruisers started launching SAM's at the furball, which was well within range now. Missile after Missile shot off of the twin rail launchers. Soon eight were streaking towards the fight.

"Guys get ready. You've got some serious metal coming your way," Maverick announced as they turned back for the furball.

There were now 9 bandits left. The NLR planes got out of the way as the swarm of SAM's arrived. Within a minute six aircraft were downed.

"Let's get out of here!" an Empire pilot yelled as the last Typhoon and two MiG's fled.

"Maverick do we get them?" Cloud Dancer asked.

He thought about it for a few seconds.

"No. Let them go," he replied. And the engagement was over.

"Guardian One to all aircraft. All threats neutralized. Great job!"

"Get the chopers out because we've got a lot of ponies in the water," Maverick announced.

"The Seahawks are redeploying right now," replied Geoffrey.

"Nice work you guys," Cloud Dancer said.

"Hey you did great too," Ice replied.

"Maybe we'll team up again sometime," Whirlwind said as the Razgriz turned for home.

"Anytime," replied Maverick as they headed back for Las Pegasus.