• Published 29th Mar 2019
  • 1,190 Views, 238 Comments

Equestria Threadfall - David Silver



A new red star appears in the sky. It streaks across with unnatural swiftness. With it comes a new threat, raining down from the day sky in great strands of death that eats all organic matter it can find, leaving the terrain scarred and ponies dead.

  • ...
11
 238
 1,190

22 - Aftermath

A gathering of foals laughed and played, tumbling over one another as young creatures were prone to doing. Watching over them, one female pony and one male kirin, watching with patient but vigilant eyes. They shared responsibilities, as many other parts of their growing community were shared between the two cultures that had come together.

They were rebuilding, together.


"You had us go through all that effort, and it's over?" He threw a furry hand wide. "Seems like another hair-brained scheme from our favorite trouble-making cat."

"Look, I went with what I had." Capper held up his hands placatingly, taking a step back,just to bump into the front of one of the mayor's guards.

"Which was wrong." He thrust a finger at Capper. "What are we going to do with all these refitted rooves?"

"Enjoy them?" Capper shrugged softly. "Look, the info came from the same ponies that fixed it, good for them, but would you rather be regretting the money you didn't spend from the grave instead of the bit you did while you're alive?"

"I will not be known as a coward." He stormed up on Capper, grabbing him at the collar and yanking him down and forward. "People are already asking questions. The way I see it, you're the reason I did it. I can throw you in front of that carriage, and I wouldn't even be stretching the truth."

"Or! Or..." He gently pushed the incensed skunk away an inch. "You could rise to the occasion."

"Explain, swiftly."

"Take this chance and make it magnanimous. Thank the people who worked fast, talk about community spirit." He raised a brow. "And share pictures of what happened to places that did not come together. Play it big on the town pride."

"Hm..."

Perhaps Capper wouldn't be skinned alive that day.

There would be other reasons and ways to skin that cat.


"What even is the point." The griffon shouldered a stone off its pile. "The whole place is... junk."

Others sighed, for he wasn't entirely wrong. Nothing would grow in the cursed land they called home. It still looked like an alien war scene, and was about as conducive to living in. Gabby landed beside him. "Don't give up!"

"Easy for you to say." He glared at her. "You have that, uh, condition or whatever. You can't even stop smiling."

"Now that's just unfair." She put her hands on her hips. "I'm not smiling right now, mister sour pants. But, seriously, help's coming!"

She was pointing and faces began to look to see what the excitable griffon meant. There, in the sky, a cloud? No, clouds did not flap. It was an entire wing of pegasi carrying a rather-heavy looking cart between them, held up with ropes that went from one to the next. Surprised sounds began to rise as the griffons stood up and started approaching curiously.

The ponies landed lightly, but the ground sunk under the weight. The pegasus at the fore, rainbow hued, stepped forward. "Yo. We need your help."

One of the griffons raised a brow. "Here I thought a moment you were coming for us. Shoulda known better."

"Hey, we both win," Rainbow assured. "Come help us repair the damaged rail, and we'll extend it into the griffon lands. Then we can help feed you and get rebuilding in here. Right now, there's no easy way to reach you, so how do you think we're gonna help." She turned and thumped a hoof on the big wagon. "As a 'token of sincerity', here's some food and supplies. It isn't enough." She turned back to them. "Which is why we need the rail. You in or not?"

"Rainbow Crash," came a mocking tone.

Rainbow darted her entire head to find the source, but her anger gave way to a big smile. "Gilda! You lousy chicken, get over here!" The two met with a firm, if brief, embrace, their verbal barbs apparently forgiven. "You here to help or just make noise?"

"Who says I can't do both?" She reared up onto her hinds and pointed the way forward. "Let's help these ponies help us. Sounds better than pushing a few rocks around in my book. Also give me lunch." She didn't really wait to shove her hand under the tarp and grab some food, chomping as she went off in the direction of where the rails used to be.

Seeing her eat was the trick. Other griffons began to crowd around for their turn at the sustenance, than a new flight started to form as pegasi and griffons took off to begin the reconstruction efforts.


Celestia's carriage lurched a little, the chariot unused to rolling over such a rocky terrain, but she kept her balance as it came to a smooth enough halt. She stepped free, wings unfurled. "I bring good tidings."

Igneous Rock and Cloudy Quartz came to see their curious guest. Igneous inclined his head. "A curious day when thy ruler graces one's doorstep."

"Quite curious," agreed Cloudy. "What can we do for you, your highness?"

"Have no fear," she started. "Your daughters both have performed a great service, not just for Equestria, but for the world entire. I was told you could not attend the proper ceremony, so I decided to come tell you personally."

Igneous looked just a little confused. "By what ceremony holds such heavy gravity that you would feel the need to inform us so quickly?"

"Maud Pie is now a Royal Petrologist." She made sure to say the title with proper capitalization. That was important. "She will receive a proper stipend to continue her studies, as a doctor of petrology, and her findings will be documented and shared with future generations."

The two began to smile, confusion given way to naked joy as they shared a look. Cloudy stepped forward. "How delightful. Maud was always a curious child, but her aspirations could never be shaken."

"As a tree in tough stone," added Igneous. "She burst free and ever reaches higher. We could not be more proud of her."

Celestia nodded in soft agreement. "Have they informed you? Both Maud and Pinkie can be thanked for ending the thread blight on our world. They're both heroes, even if one of them already wore that mantle."

"I bet their friend was involved," came the acid tone of a Pie sister, Limestone, glaring at the entire gathering.

"Why, yes. Twilight, Spike, and my own sister were also deeply involved. But were it not for the presence of two Pies, their efforts would have been in vain. Every single pony, and dragon, involved was essential for us to finally be safe again." She raised a hoof to her chest. "And I am grateful for them all."

The two parents nodded their head, sharing a sedate moment of satisfaction. Cloudy tipped her head towards Celestia. "We appreciate the kind word, but a letter would have more than sufficed."

"Surely the nation has need of its rightful ruler," agreed Igneous. "Go and return."

Celestia smiled gently at that, being shooed away back to her work. "Very well. Walk with your heads held high. This trip was not in vain." Well, maybe a little vain. She so much enjoyed that brief moment of joy on their faces.


"How're you feeling?" Spike gently set down a get well soon card down amidst others. The room was festooned in many flowers, candies, and other trinkets of well wishes. "Better today?"

"Hello, Spike." Twilight smiled at her friend, her brother, her #1 assistant. "Every day is a bit better." She sat up a little, wincing, but managing to complete the motion to sit up on the bed, her hooves coming down as she assumed an upright position. "I really let myself get banged up."

"You were saving a whole world." He winked softly. "That's as big as we've gone. Twice now."

"Technically, three," she corrected. "Even if one of those times never... happened? Time travel is strange."

"I'll drink to that." He raised a juice box high, one in either hand.

One began to glow as she brought it over, sucking lightly at the straw already poking into it. "Mmm, grape. Thank you, Spike, for visiting me every day."

"As if I'd not?" He slid up onto the bed on his knees. "Twilight, everyone's excited to see you out of here."

"They'll have to wait a little longer," she laughed, reaching a hoof to rest over Spike. "I see their presents."

"Basically everypony in Ponyville," he reported, waving. "And beyond. Everycreature knows who did it, and they've been filling this place up."

"If I felt like candy, I'd not be worried for supplies." She stuck out her tongue faintly before she began to sink, her energy sagging. The juice box came with her, floating along. "How's school?"

"Some of the students are still away, helping their families rebuild." He worried his fingers. "But not a single injury, at the school itself that is." He reached behind his back, scratching lightly. "Classes are back on, Starlight's overseeing them. It's a sort of, uh, half session?"

"I can imagine," she agreed sleepily. "But they're getting along?"

"They're getting along." He gently stroked her shoulder, seeing she was starting to fade. He took the juice box from her magic without material resistance and set it on her bedside desk to retrieve later. "We're on the case. You just take care of yourself right now."

"Thanks, Spike," she barely breathed out, fading from consciousness.

Spike remained there, petting her slowly and gently. She may have been asleep, but he felt he could feel her responding, appreciating his presence. She would relax, she would smile... Even if they weren't together properly, he liked to think he accompanied her in her dreams.

Still, eventually, she was deep asleep, her soft snores filling the room as he slid to his feet. He had things to take care of besides his older sister.

"How's she doin'?!" There was Pinkie, ambushing him right outside the door.

"She's alright," he reported with a smirk, unable to be entirely annoyed at Pinkie's concern. "Just tired. The doctors said--"

"Yeah, I heard," she sighed out. "That's gotta hurt." She raised a hoof to her barrel, feeling along the ribs that had been broken, shattered. "Poor Twilight. If only there was a party for this kinda situation." She tilted her head a bit. "Well, I guess we're having it, actually."

"Huh?" He raised a brow at her.

"We're here, caring, and bringing her nice stuff and that's it. The get-well-soon party!" She threw one hoof up in the air, though no confetti flew. "Not my favorite kind of party, but it's still important, like most parties."

"Yeah." He smiled at that. "Hey, Pinkie. C'mon." He gestured ahead and began to lead her away from Twilight's room. "Let's have a real party."

"You mean it?!"

"I sure do. It's not just Twilight hurting. Everypony else is on pins and needles waiting for her. Let's throw a party in her honor, but also, you know, for all the creatures waiting, so we can--"

"Spike! You are a genius." She slapped down a hoof on either of his shoulders from behind. "I'm on the case! This is gonna be great!" She was gone in a puff of Pinkie-shaped smoke, emboldened with the idea of a party that could help the situation.

Spike smirked, feeling self-pleased. "#1 assistant, who said it was to just one pony." He crossed his arms as he exited the hospital.

He emerged into Ponyville proper, into the changed Equestria, a changed world. Even places, like Ponyville, that had avoided the direct touch of thread, had been impacted indirectly. The world was healing.

But growing together. It was a little happy ending on a time of struggle and loss.

"You comin'?" Feet touched the ground next to him, Ember glaring at him.

"Oh! Right." He rubbed behind his head. "I was just checking--"

"--Yeah, yeah... At least she's still here to... Whatever, let's go." She took his hand and they launched.

They had a dragon's funeral to attend, the loss of one of the great ones. The world would never be quite the same.

Author's Note:

And fin, take two.

Comments ( 2 )

Given how slow the general pace of life is in Equestria, buildng things out of stone just makes it easier to maintain, as you only need work on a decade, centuary basis?

Stone trees for the Griffons, terraces for the food?

Much better and more emotionally satisfying epilogue. You did well.

Login or register to comment