• Published 12th Mar 2018
  • 3,416 Views, 104 Comments

Twilight and Skaterloo: Mother and Son - Ace Pony Stories

  • ...
2
 104
 3,416

New Friendships (Friendship is Magic Part 1)

Twilight stood beside Skaterloo’s bed pulling the covers over the colt, “Goodnight, Skates.”

“Night, Mom.” The colt smiled.

The mare quietly left after giving her son a kiss on the cheek. “Sweet dreams,” she said, tenderly closing the door.

The unicorn walked into her bedroom, looking through bookcases for a particular book. Keeping her voice to a minimum, she quietly shuffled through several books. “Hmmmm. Oh! Here it is!” the mare exclaimed after finding an old book.

She then began to read its pages. “Many centuries ago, Equestria had two ruling princesses. Two sisters who kept the land in peace and harmony. The eldest rose and lowered the sun and the second, her younger sister brought the moon and night stars to the land. For many years the two maintained a harmony they sought for their land.” Twilight yawned and rubbed her eyes before continuing. “But as the years went on, the younger sister grew resentful. Ponies cheered and played during her sister’s day while all slept through her night. One day she refused to lower the moon, so her sister could rise the sun. Although her sister tried to reason with her, the bitterness in the younger sister’s heart transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness. Nightmare Moon. She vowed she would make the night last for all eternity, never to let the sun rise again.” The unicorn recited the tale as her exhaustion ebbed away at her consciousness. “The elder sister reluctantly drew on the power of the most powerful artifacts known to the Ponydom: The Elements of Harmony. Using the power of all six elements she defeated her siblings and banished her to the moon for all eternity. After which the older sister took over the responsibility of the sun and moon and harmony has been maintained all over Equestria for hundreds of years.”

The unicorn placed the book beside her bed and after one last yawn, she said, “Elements of Harmony. I know I heard of them before but where.” The unicorn pondered, lying down on her bed. She wondered where she’d heard of the Elements.

The next day

Twilight levitated around several books trying to find the one she’d read about the Elements of Harmony in. “Hmmm. No, No, No, No,” she said, skimming from book to book. She didn’t notice the approaching sound of little hoofsteps.

“Morning Mom,” Skaterloo greeted. His mother did not respond, invested in her search. “Mom?”

She did not respond. Twilight continued looking through her collection for the book, ‘Predictions and Prophecies’.

“Mom!” Skaterloo exclaimed.

“Ah!” Her trance broke and dropped all the books she held in her magic. “Oh, you’re up early Honey.”

Skaterloo smiled with his head tilted to the side. “Don’t you remember that Moondancer’s party is today?”

The mare’s eyes widened. “Wait that was today? I could have sworn it was tomorrow!” Twilight frantically scavenged her room for her gift for Moondancer. She remembered putting it under her bed. She went to retrieve it only to find the book she was looking for, ‘Predictions and Prophecies’, with it, “Wait I did tell Minuette she could borrow it. I must have put the two together and forgot.

Twilight levitated the present and book out finding she’d bookmarked a page. After opening it she found herself staring at the legend of the mare in the moon. So, she began to read it again.

Meanwhile

In her private quarters, Celestia recited a tale she knew too well, “On the longest day of the 1000th year of the younger sister’s banishment, the stars would aid in her escape and she would return to bring an eternal night.” After closing the book she walked over to the window looking up to the sky in thought. “It is almost time, my sister. I just hope we can be a family again.”

To get you back, I’ll need the Elements of Harmony. But with them sealed I can’t use them, and I alone can’t produce the spark needed to reawaken them.” Glancing down, the monarch saw her student seemingly walking towards the west castle courtyard. “But if my instinct about her is correct, she might be able to. But one question remains: who will wield the other five elements.”

Down on the street of Canterlot, Twilight finished her reading. “The longest day would be the Summer Sun Celebration," she pondered. "And the thousandth year from then would be.....t-tonight!”

Spike looked up to the unicorn from her side. “What was that Twi?”

Skaterloo perked at the question and glanced at his mother.

Twilight paused, glancing towards Skaterloo slightly. “What would happen if she did return? What would happen to Skaterloo?“ the unicorn paused, “I I couldn’t do anything. Nopony could face Nightmare Moon. Except for the Princess, she would definitely be strong enough!

After her thought, Twilight realized they’d reached Moondancer’s party. Moondancer, Minuette, Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine had already arrived.

The host came up quickly as soon as she saw them. “Hey, Twilight!” Moondancer said.

Twilight smiled as Skaterloo greeted first, “Hi Moondancer.”

The pale yellow unicorn responded with a chuckle. “Hi Skates!” she said ruffling his mane.

“Sorry if we’re a little late," Twilight apologized, a sheepish smile on her face "I could have sworn you said it was the day of the Summer Sun Celebration.”

“It’s fine.”

After the colt left, Twilight paused, glancing at the book.

Minuette waved her hoof in front of Twilight’s face. “Helloooooo! Anypony home?”

Twilight snapped out of her trance. “Oh!” She then chuckled, “Hi Minuette. I brought the book you wanted to borrow.”

“Oh, thanks. I loved reading this! Imagine if some of these actually came true?” Minuette joked.

If that one comes true. If the Princess can’t stop it. I won’t be able to protect Skaterloo.“ The unicorn realized she had to have Spike write a letter to the Princess. Before she could so much as say his name, she saw the drake’s cheeks puffing up.

Twinkleshine arched her brow at the little dragon. “Umm Spike?”

Spike let out a belch of fire, which Lemon dove aside, avoiding the small blaze. “Whoa!” She yelped.

A scroll materialized from the dragon’s breath. Twilight froze, she wasn’t expecting the Princess to write to her.

“Sent a message to the Princess before you came, Twi?” Moondancer questioned.

Twilight shook her head. “No. What could she be writing about?”

Spike picked up the scroll pulling the parchment open. “To Twilight Sparkle

My faithful student,

I’m writing to you because I because an imper-imperative task for you to perform. As you are no doubt aware the Summer Sun Celebration begins tonight. I need you my most trusted pupil to oversee the preparations of the celebration in Ponyville. I’ve attached a list of the parts I need to be checked along with the locations and names of the ponies in charge of them.

Princess Celestia.” he finished the regal message.

“The princess wants me to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration? Me?” Twilight questioned in surprise.

Moondancer lightly poked her friend’s side, “What did you do to get that honour?”

“I don’t know. This is the first time I’ve even heard of this even being a possibility!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Mom?” Skaterloo asked.

The unicorn turned towards her son. “Yes, Skates?”

“Aren’t we going to stay at the party?” The colt asked.

Twilight smiled. “Of course! Moondancer’s party is more important.” She glanced at Spike. “Spike I need to write a response.”

Spike nodded and pulled out a parchment and quill from his bag. “Ok ready!”

Twilight began reciting the message for the dragon to scribe, “Dear Princess Celestia,

I understand that this is an important task and an even greater honour for me. However, I have an important arrangement today. A party my friend Moondancer is having. I want to keep my plans with my friends and must humbly refuse your offer.

Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike finished scribbling the mare’s name. “OK, all done,” he confirmed before sending the letter off.

“Well, that should take care of that.” Twilight watched the smoke flow up to the castle. The purple unicorn smiled. “So what’s the plan for the party?”

“Weeeell,” Moondancer said, pulling a scroll off the table.

Twinkleshine giggled, “You two are so similar you know, it’s scary. Are you sure you aren’t related?”

Twilight and Moondancer blushed as the rest of their friends joined in on Twinkleshine’s laughter.

“OK,” Moondancer said. “We’ll mostly be here but I thought it would be great to watch the sunset from outside of Canterlot before having dinner together. I’ll make sure they have a kid menu for Skates.”

Twilight heard Spike burp again. She noted the dragon had already unrolled the scroll. “The Princess responded. Let’s see.” The drake read through its contents and then frowned. “Oh, I don’t know if you’ll like this.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “What do you mean?”

“Dear Twilight Sparkle

My faithful student, I respect your desire to spend time with your friends. But this is a task I cannot allow you to deny. I do not trust anypony else for this. You must also know that there’s more to a young pony’s life than just Canterlot, I have another important task for you to make more friends of the group you know.

Princess Celestia.”

Twilight’s confusion turned to shock, “Wh-what!?”

“Is she sure Twi can’t stay here?”

Twilight sighed, “If she didn’t need me, she wouldn’t be so insistent. So I guess I don’t have much choice.”

The four mares gave disappointed sighs. “Wait!” Moondancer suddenly exclaimed

“What is it?” Twilight asked.

“Well, this is upsetting news, the fact you get to oversee the preparations for one of the most important events of this exciting. You may never have a chance like this again.”

Minuette exclaimed, “Oh I have an idea! How about we go down to Ponyville for the sunset! Then we can still have the party together and Twilight can do her job.”

The other guests looked around at the party that was already set up. They couldn’t just leave without them cleaning it up. Twilight walked over, “You don’t have to do that.”

The Princess said this is important. Many different ponies work in the castle to oversee the celebration so why me? Wait, the ‘Mare in the Moon’ would return tonight. Is she trusting me to stop her?

“Well, Lyra’s down in Ponyville,” Twinkleshine added. “You could see her.” Twinkleshine rubbed her chin. “Hmmm. I remember hearing something about some magical artifacts being last seen in the forest near there. Ah! Yes, the Elements of Harmony!”

Twilight paused at the mention of the elements. Could that be the reason Celestia wanted her to go to Ponyville? The mare glanced towards Skaterloo. If that was what the princess wanted then it was up to her to protect her son and Equestria.

The young pegasus approached his adoptive mother, confused by her silent stare. Whenever she revived a letter from the Princess she always replied immediately but seeing her this unresponsive was confusing.

Twilight was soon broken out of her trance from a small hoof nudging against her. “Oh! Skates what is it?”

Skaterloo pointed to Spike. “Are we going to Ponyville?”

Twilight smiled and rubbed the colt’s face. “I’ll go, but you don’t have to. You can just stay here.”

Skaterloo looked down. “But we always spend the Summer Sun Celebration together.”

Twilight thought it had become a tradition for her to spend the day together. However, this was more important. Before the unicorn could make a decision, Moondancer spoke up, “Well as the host of this party, I think it’s my choice what happens with it.”

“So what’s the verdict?” Minuette questioned

“I did have my heart set on this place but if Twilight is the only one the Princess wants we can’t have this without her.” Moondancer explained, “So let’s go to Ponyville!”

“You don’t have to—“ Twilight began before being cut off.

Moondancer spoke, “I know. But like I said, we can’t have this party without you. It was meant for all of us to celebrate.”

Twilight paused, taking in what her friend has said. She realized there wasn’t any chance of her changing Moondancer’s mind. The purple mare sighed, “Alright, I give up. I can tell nothing will change your mind.”

Moondancer shook her head, acknowledging she indeed wouldn’t.

The purple unicorn chuckled, “Well if that’s the case, you at least have to let me help you clean up.”

Moondancer tried to say something but was pressed by her friend’s assurance. The pale yellow unicorn sighed, “Fine, let’s get to cleaning.”

[Later]

Twilight stepped on to a chariot. “Sorry we’re late,” Twilight apologized. “We needed to help a friend with something.”

“That’s perfectly fine, Ms. Sparkle,” one of the guards assured.

“Yeah it’s not like the fate of Equestria rests on this,” The other slightly joked.

Twilight chuckled along with the two guards as they took off. “But it could if Nightmare Moon is returning.

Skaterloo held onto the side of the chariot, looking down at the ground far below.

As they awaited their arrival to Ponyville, the unicorn saw the little town get closer and closer. The mare made plans to do her tasks needed for her overseeing the celebration. Then, she would focus on stopping Nightmare Moon.

Soon enough the pegasi landed, allowing the three passengers to step off the chariot.

“Thank you, sirs.” Twilight addressed the guards.

As the two guards took off Twilight turned to Spike. “Ok, what’s first?”

“It’s food.,” Spike answered. “The preparations are at Sweet Apple Acres it’s just on the side of town. Do you remember anything about Ponyville, Skaterloo?” The drake glanced at the colt.

The colt shook his head. “Not really. I’m used to Canterlot now. All I remember is something about a party.”

Spike shrugged. “Well, that’s not helpful. It was probably just some local festival.”

“Probably,” Skaterloo responded.

Twilight motioned. “Ok boys, let’s get going.”

After beginning to follow the mare, Spike added, “Twilight, remember the princess also wanted you to make some friends here.”

The unicorn sighed. “Guess I’ll have to add making Ponyville friends to my plan,” she thought before realizing she was almost going to bump into a pink earth pony. She stopped herself in time. “Oh sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.”

The pink mare just paused, staring at the unicorn seeming to be in trance.

“Uhhhh Hello?” Twilight said. “Well the princess said to make friends, ” she thought before attempting to introduce herself, “My name i—“

Before she could even say her name the pink earth pony jumped higher than Twilight thought possible, letting out an exaggerated gasp before running the opposite direction almost in a second.

“What was that about?” Skaterloo asked in utter confusion.

Twilight shrugged at her son’s question. “Who knows. Let’s just see how the food is.”

After that unusual encounter, the three continued their journey to ‘Sweet Apple Acres’. The trio soon found themselves slowly being surrounded by Apple trees.

“I guess we know we’re heading in the right direction,” Spike said in a slightly joking tone.

“Ok,” Twilight said. “Now let’s find who we need to talk to.”

After finding a path towards a barn the three heard a voice exclaim, “Yeehaw.”

Twilight shot her head towards the source of the sudden noise. She found an orange earth pony galloping to one of the fruit trees and kicked it with her hind hooves. Her strike shook it, which sent the apples into two buckets on either side of the tree’s trunk.

“I guess we should talk to her?” Twilight supposed.

The unicorn approached the earth pony, greeting her, “Hello I’m Twilight Sparkle I’m here to-” her introduction was cut off by the other mare grabbing her hoof, shaking it hard.

“Nice make your acquaintance,” the orange mare said. “Miss Twilight. Mah name’s Applejack. What brings ya here?”

“I’m here to oversee the banquet preparations,” Twilight explained.

Applejack nodded, glancing at the dragon and colt next to her. “Who are these two? Is this here your little brother?” The mare asked, pointing to the orange pegasus.

Twilight shook her head, “No he’s—“

Must be her nephew or cousin.” Applejack internally anticipated.

“—my son.” Twilight finished.

After the unicorn finished, Applejack gawked at her in complete shock. “Y-yer son?! O-oh Sorry, Ah didn’t mean to sound rude.”

Twilight assured, “It’s fine. I know it’s out of the ordinary for someone my age to have a foal.”

Applejack chuckled, “Ah was pretty surprised. So what’s yer name little guy?”

“I’m Skaterloo, Ms. Applejack.”

Applejack waved her hoof off. “There’s no need fer the Ms. part. Ya can just call me Applejack.” The orange mare glanced at Twilight. “So yer to see the food?”

Twilight nodded.

“Well, everythin’s prepared. Want to sample some?” The earth pony asked.

Twilight paused, looking down at her son. “Well, I guess we haven’t had lunch. But this just a small quick stop.”

“Then right this way!” Applejack exclaimed and pulled the unicorn over to a large table. “We here at Sweet Apple Acres love makin’ some new friends.”

Twilight paused. “F-friends? Actually, I-“

Skaterloo and Spike quickly followed the earth pony as she pulled Twilight along. They stopped in front of a large table. “Soups for everypony!” Applejack called out.

“Everypony?” Twilight asked.

Just before the earth pony could respond, a large group of ponies all surrounded the table. “Meet the Apple Family. Let me introduce ya to Everypony.” The earth pony exclaimed.

Twilight tried to say that they were in a hurry, Applejack’s charisma was unwavering and began introducing each of her family members.

“This here's some of mah cousins, Apple Fritter. Apple Bumpkin. Red Gala. Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Caramel Apple, Apple Strudel, Apple Tart, Baked Apples, Apple Brioche, Apple Cinnamon Crisp.” She paused taking a deep breath. “Mah older brother Big Macintosh, little sister Apple Bloom and grandma, Granny Smith. Up'n'attem, Granny, we got guests.”

The older mare woke up in slight confusion. “Eh! Guests?”

“This here’s Miss Twilight and her son, Skaterloo," Applejack introduced. "And, uhhhhhh, Ah didn’t catch yer name, little fella.” Applejack turned to the purple dragon, awkwardness lacing her voice.

“Spike.” The dragon simply replied.

The elder mare approached them getting a good look at the purple unicorn, “Well you don’t look like a mare who’d have a son. Especially one that looks to be around ten years old at the oldest.”

“He’s 8,” Twilight confirmed.

“Hey, that’s how old Ah am!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“Well, you must have been a very active filly.” The older mare said with a slightly sly smirk.

Twilight felt her entire face heat up turning from its usual purple to bright hot pink.

Applejack in a mortified tone responded, “G-Granny ya can’t just say that!”

Skaterloo asked, “Mom what does she by ‘active’?”

Twilight blushed and patted his head. “I-I’ll tell you when you’re older.” She took and breath and faced the elder mare. “I adopted him when he was 5. I was 18.”

Applejack rubbed the back of her head. “Why did ya decide that, bein’ so young?”

Twilight sighed, “It’s a bit of a long story. Too long to explain here.”

“Are ya gonna stay fer brunch?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah, Mom?” Skaterloo pleaded along with the filly.

Applejack adjusted her stetson. “Ya did say you haven’t had lunch yet.”

Twilight looked around, seeing the anticipated looks from the ponies around her. Their faces pleaded like the two foals. The unicorn sighed, “Ok. We’ll stay for a little while. But just for lunch.”

Hearing her answer, the large family cheered. Twilight walked back over to the table. “So what is there to eat exactly?”

Applejack ran down the samples her family had brought. Twilight noted that just about everything was apple-related. It’s was easy to see what the family’s main crop was on the farm giving it a very apt name.

Twilight attempting to make small talk, “Just out of curiosity, do you know somepony named Lyra Heartstrings?”

Applejack nodded. “Yep. She and Bon Bon come by now and then. Why do you ask? "Do you know her?”

“Yes. We‘ve been friends since we were fillies. We attended the Princess’ school together, although I was more focused on my studies at the time so we weren’t all that close at the time.”

“That’s putting it lightly,” a female voice chuckled.

Twilight straightened up slightly. Speak of the devil.

Just as the purple unicorn thought, her old friend was here.

“Hey Applejack,” Lyra greeted the earth pony.

Applejack waved. “Guess ya heard us talkin’ about you?”

The mint unicorn nodded before addressing Twilight, “So Twi, I wasn’t expecting you to come down to Ponyville. What brings you here?”

“Oh! The Princess assigned me to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration preparations and the food was here.” Twilight explained.

Looking around, the mint unicorn soon took notice of Skaterloo and Apple Bloom beside each other. “Looks like Skaterloo and Apple Bloom are becoming fast friends. Funny how easily he makes friends with who his mother is.” Lyra joked softly poking Twilight’s side.

“Yeah, I know.” Twilight deadpanned in response. “Besides that was me three years ago.”

Lyra nodded. “Yeah going from reading alone 7 days a week to 1 is definitely a lot better. Now, I’m gonna try and surprise Skates!”

Twilight slightly giggled watching the mint unicorn sneak behind her son, who was distracted by his conversation with Apple Bloom. With a comically exaggerated expression swung her head in front of the colt’s face.

Although he jumped in surprise at first, it was soon replaced with laughter when he realized it was his mother’s friend. The mint mare soon was overcome with laughter as well.

Twilight rolled her eyes in amusement.

[Later]

"Oooh," Twilight groggily groaned. “ I ate too much pie.”

Skaterloo jumped about with lots of energy.

“And you had too much sugar,” Twilight said, a mixture of amusement and scolding in her tone. “So, what's next Spike.”

Spike read a scroll and said, “It says here that a pegasus mare named Rainbow Dash is in charge of clearing the sky.”

Twilight looked up, seeing the sky still had plenty of clouds. “Well from the looks of things it wouldn’t surprise me if she hadn’t even started.”

Suddenly a loud voice called out, “INCOMING!”

Twilight tried to trace the voice, but by the time she saw the mare it came from, it was already too late to react. She was pushed along with the mare in her crash landing.

“Twilight!” Spike cried.

“Mom!” Skaterloo cried.

Twilight got up after she was knocked over, realizing she was covered in mud. She discovered a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane at her side.

“Heh heh. Sorry,” The cyan pegasus awkwardly apologized.

Twilight tried to shake the mud off herself, but it hung to her coat.

“Here, let me help,” The mare said, quickly grabbing a cloud and stomping on it, sending a powerful downpour onto the unicorn. It did wash off the mud, but now Twilight was completely drenched. She looked underneath the cloud. “Oh! Heh heh! Sorry went a little overboard,” she said.

Twilight softly growled only to hear Spike and Skaterloo quietly snickering to themselves.

“Just let me dry you off with my patented, Rainblow Dry!” The mare exclaimed flying around the unicorn fast.

The mare finished, realizing what her attempt to dry the unicorn had done. Rainbow managed to dry her, but also ended up frizzing her mane.

The pegasus chuckled before falling over, laughing. Soon, Spike and Skaterloo joined her laughter.

Twilight sighed very Annoyed, she responded, “Let me guess, you’re Rainbow Dash?”

The pegasus stood up and with a proud stance and tone replied, “The one and only! Why you heard of me?”

“No, I heard you were in charge of the weather for the Summer Sun Celebration,” Twilight responded. “I’m Twilight Sparkle. I was assigned by Princess Celestia personally to oversee the preparations and form what I see, there’s still plenty of clouds in the sky.”

“Oh yeah! I’ll start that soon, first I‘m gonna finish practicing!”

“Practicing for what?” Skaterloo asked.

Rainbow turned seeing the orange pegasus, “Oh, who are you.”

“I’m Skaterloo Sparkle,” Skaterloo answered.

Guess he's her brother.” Rainbow thought before she replied, “Well Skaterloo if you like to know, I'm practicing for the Wonderbolts.”

Twilight smirked. “The Wonderbolts, the greatest stunt flyers in Equestria?”

“Yep!” Rainbow confidently replied.

“And you think they’d let a mare who can’t even keep the sky clear for one simple, measly day in?” Twilight snidely remarked, “Sounds like the exact opposite of who they’d want.”

Her competitive nature took control of Rainbow and turned around in a flash. “Hey, I could get it cleared in ten seconds flat!”

“Ten seconds? Prove it!” Twilight replied, still in her snide tone.

“Fine. Just watch.” Rainbow said shooting up fast. “Loop de loop, Here, there annnnd WHAM!” the cyan pegasus exclaimed multiple times, swooping everywhere, not missing a single cloud, and returned to a very shocked unicorn. “What did I say Ten. Seconds. Flat! I’d never leave Ponyville hanging!”

Twilight just stared gobsmacked at what she’d just seen.

Rainbow laughed again, “Hahaha! You should see your face! You’re a laugh, Twilight Sparkle. I hope we can hang out more. See ya around!”

Skaterloo with the same expression as his mother but more amazed than shocked exclaimed, “That. was. AMAZING!”

Twilight still stared shocked only to be snapped out of it by a voice, “Twilight?”

The purple unicorn turned to see her friends Minuette and Moondancer.

The two’s faces contorted, holding back laughter but the two eventually broke, “Hahahahaha! What happened to your mane!?” Minuette nearly fell over.

Moondancer had to let herself breathe before she said, “I’ve never seen a pony’s mane puff up that much.”

Twilight growled softly, “The pony in charge of clearing the sky happened. First, we both fell in the mud, then drenched me in rain and then spun all around me to create wind to dry me off and this is the result.”

“Wow! Talk about overzealous,” Moondancer said.

“So was that her just flying all over kicking every cloud?” Minuette asked.

Skaterloo smiled, “Yeah, wasn’t she amazing!”

“That’s putting it lightly. She did all of that in-“

Twilight interrupted, “Let me guess, ten seconds?”

Minuette nodded. “Exactly on the dot.”

Twilight internally shouted, “Of course it was.

Moondancer changed the subject, “So what are you going to see next?”

“Well, we’ve seen food and weather. So next is decorations at Town Hall.” Spike read down the list, “Then the last is music.”

Twilight sighed, “Let’s continue, Town Hall should be close by.”

“So you’re staying in the library, right?” Moondancer asked.

Twilight nodded, “Yes, apparently the old librarian retired and moved out of town. Luckily, some pony has been taking care of it.”

“Good thing you won’t be staying in a dusty, run-down mess,” Minuette joked.

Moondancer adjusted her glasses. “So see you then?”

“We’ll all watch the sunrise together,” Twilight said. “After Nightmare Moon is defeated.

The two groups parted. Moondancer and Minuette to explore the town like Twilight, Spike and Skaterloo to continued the unicorn’s tasks as the overseer of the Celebration.

The rest of the trip to the Town Hall was uneventful. Once they entered, they noticed the decorations were very elaborate and far along.

“Beautiful,” Spike said in a daydreaming tone.

Twilight smiled. “Looks like this will be easy.

Skaterloo smiled. “Yeah, it is beautiful. The pony in charge must be a great artist.”

“Not the decor. Her!” the dragon pointed towards a white unicorn standing on the alter who seemed to be talking to herself.

The white mare kept levitating several pieces of fabric up to herself. “No, no, no! Dreadfully no!” she refused several different shades before picking one. “Hmmm! Perfect!”

“How are my spines?" Spike asked. "Are they straight? Are my scales shined good enough? Are my claws-“

Twilight rolled her eyes and approached the other unicorn. “Excuse me I’m-“

The white mare interrupted the purple unicorn, “Shhh Shhh! Just one moment please, I’m ‘in the zone’ as you could say.”

Twilight looked around her as Spike and Skaterloo walked to her sides. The mare made another attempt. “I’m Twilight Sparkle I-“

In her concentration, the unicorn heard the mare’s last name and got an idea, “Oh yes! Sparkles always works doesn’t it? Rarity you are a talent! Now what was it you-“ the unicorn seemingly named Rarity began before turning around and seeing the mare behind her but most of all her mane. “Oh! Darling what in Equestria happened to your coiffure?“

Twilight paused for a second from the unicorn’s unusual choice of vocabulary. “Oh, you mean my mane? It’s a long story, we're just here to check the decorations and we’ll be out of your hair.”

“Your mane? But what about YOUR mane!” Rarity exclaimed running up to the purple mare, practically pushing her.

“H-hey, wait where are you taking me?!” Twilight replied, “Help!”

Skaterloo quickly followed after the mare, taking his mother to Celestia knows where. He was soon followed by Spike who he almost had to drag out.

[Later]

Rarity had brought Twilight to a boutique she owned, named Carousel Boutique to straighten out Twilight’s frizzled mane. But now she was trying to find Twilight a new outfit for to which the purple unicorn wasn’t exactly thrilled about.

“No, too close to your coat, not close enough, too green, too..... shiny.” Rarity judged several outfits before continuing to tighten a gem stubbed saddled onto Twilight, “Now my dear, you were telling me where you’re from.”

“I’ve.... been sent.... from... egg!....” Twilight choked before she could finish her sentence.

Skaterloo came up to the mare. “Ummm We came from Canterlot.”

Rarity suddenly let go of the saddle’s strap which nearly sent Twilight flying across the room like she was thrown.

“Oh, Canterlot! I'm so jealous! You’re from the most glamorous, sophisticated city in all Equestria?! I’ve always dreamed of living there! I can’t wait to hear all about it, every detail. We’re going to be the best of friends you and I... I’m guessing this young gentlecolt is your brother.”

Why do ponies always think he’s my brother.” Twilight thought, shaking her head. “He’s my adopted son,” the unicorn clarified.

Rarity’s eyes widened bigger than she thought they could, “Son? He doesn’t look much older than 8 like my younger sister.”

Twilight slightly nodded. “He’s 8.”

“Now there are two new friendships: yours and mine and my sister and your son. It’s perfect!”

Twilight was a little taken aback by the mare’s overeagerness.

Rarity smiled until she looked down at the gems embedded in the saddle, “Hm Emeralds. What I was thinking!? Rubies would be much better with your coat.” The white unicorn turned away.

Twilight turned, grabbing Spike and Skaterloo, “Quick before she decides to die my coat a new colour!”

Just as fast as they were brought in, the trio made their exit, leaving the white unicorn to rummage through her supplies to find the red gemstones she mentioned.

After her ‘retreat’, Twilight returned to her tasks. There was only one more preparation left to check. Which seemed to take place in a park.

Spike sighed, still distracted by his newly developed crush. “She’s perfect,” the dragon thought aloud.

Twilight was impatient but said in a sarcastic tone, “Focus, Casanova.”

Skaterloo paced faster to meet his mother’s stride. “She was interesting.”

“That’s putting it lightly. I wore more gowns in our time there than I’ve worn in my entire life.”

Their discussion halted when they heard a song growing louder in their ears. It was the sound of birds singing in unison. It definitely seemed rehearsed, not just some flock tweeting after another.

As the mother and son followed the song, Spike slipped off Twilight’s back. The unicorn and pegasus found what they were looking for: a bare tree with many different birds perched on its branches with a yellow pegasus conducting them. Twilight smiled stepped up to the yellow mare, “Hello-“

The pegasus let out a surprised squeak from the voice suddenly greeting her from behind. After the pegasus’ squeak, the birds flew away in surprise.

Twilight realizing she had scared both the birds and the pegasus, apologized, “Oh! I’m sorry I didn’t mean to startle you or your birds. I was just here to check on the music preparations and from what I heard it’s coming along beautifully.” She received only silence from the pegasus, looking away shyly. “I’m Twilight Sparkle. I’m here to oversee the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration. What’s your name?”

I’m F-Fluttershy.” the pegasus spoke but only managed a mumbling response.

Twilight turned to Skaterloo after he’d stepped up beside her he only shook his head knowing she was going to ask if he heard the pegasus.

“Umm. Could you repeat that?” Twilight asked a little awkwardly.

M-My name is Fluttershy.

“Didn’t quite catch that,” Twilight replied

The pegasus tried again but only managed an unintelligible squeaking sound.

Soon the birds that had flown away returned to their branches on the tree.

Twilight, feeling awkward attempted to finish the interaction. “Oooook! Looks like your birds came back. Just keep up the good work with the music.”

The unicorn slid away her son following behind her.

Spike caught up after coming back to reality from his daydreaming. “Hey Twilight, Skaterloo-“

“Oh! A baby dragon!” The pegasus exclaimed. The pegasus flew right past Twilight and Skaterloo. The two fully fell over from the mare, practically blowing them down from flying past them. “I’ve never seen a real baby dragon before!”

With a sly tone, Spike responded, “Well, well, well!”

The yellow pegasus continued her excitement, “He can talk too? I want to know everything about you!”

Twilight sighed as Skaterloo helped her to her hooves. “Ok if the music is done. Let’s get going,” she said, levitating the dragon onto her back.

“W-wait! What’s his name?”

“My name is Spike.” The drake said simply.

“Hi, Spike! I’m Fluttershy!” The mare introduced herself, “Tell me everything about you!”

“Well, I started as a purple egg-“ Spike began.

[Later]

While the drake literally told his life story, Twilight walked to the address of where she would stay for the night. The walk took a fair enough time that the sun was close to setting.

”And that's the story of my entire life." Spike concluded. "Well except today. “

“Oh! Can you tell me about today?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight stopped when they reached the entrance of the place she’d be staying, The Golden Oak Library. A building built inside an oak tree. “Ooooooh! We’re here this where the three of us will be staying here in Ponyville. I’m sure Spike is really tired.”

“Wait, I’m not-“ Spike tried but found himself falling off the unicorn’s back.

In a slight motherly tone, Twilight continued, “Aww! Look he’s so tired he can even keep his wittle bawance!”

His mother’s overly cutesy inflection made Skaterloo chuckle, having to hold back a fit of laughter.

Spike glared at Skaterloo after hearing his chuckle.

Fluttershy on the other hand didn’t hear a thing. “Oooh! Poor thing, you need to get him to bed before it gets too late!”

Twilight smiled. “Be right on that!”

Skaterloo waved. “See you!”

The three entered the library and found themselves in darkness.

“Rude much?” Spike asked.

Twilight sighed, “Sorry, but right now I need to know how to defeat Nightmare Moon and it will be easier without a bunch of crazy ponies tackling me trying to make friends. Now I’ll just light my horn so we can find-“

Before Twilight could find the lights, she nearly screamed when the light suddenly lit up she found herself surrounded by ponies.

“SURPRISE!” Suddenly, the pink mare from earlier appeared.

Twilight was shocked and slightly angry her albeit temporary home was filled with ponies when she just wanted to have some quiet time.

“Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie," the pink mare introduced herself. "I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised!? Were you, were you!?” The pink earth pony said seemingly without taking a single breath.

Twilight, trying not to cause a scene, responded, “Very, I was expecting this place to be quiet.” She moved away from Pinkie, hoping the pink mare would understand her discomfort.

Pinkie followed her. “Well, that’s silly! What kind of welcome party would it be if it were quiet. I mean duh! Boooooring! I always throw a big exciting party for everypony in Ponyville. So I saw you earlier you know when you said ‘Hello’ then I realized I’d never seen you before and I was like-“ the mare stopped and mimicked her exaggerated gasp. “If I didn’t know you, then that meant you were new because I know everypony here and if you were new that means you don’t know anypony and that means you didn’t have any friends! Then I saw four other new ponies and wanted to throw a party for all of them too. So I invited EVERYPONY in Ponyville so now you and they have lots and lots of new friends!” The mare explained as Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy surrounded her.

Twilight sighed, looking around and found a table with a few cups and bottles of drinks while the mare behind her went on. The mare grabbed a red bottle. But as she began to slurp it down, she found it wasn’t a beverage, it was hot sauce!

The unicorn felt her head heat up like it was on fire, causing tears to nearly steam out of her eyes. The stress of the situation became too much and she ran up the stairs into the living area of the library.

Pinkie being oblivious to the unicorn’s frustration said, “Aww! She’s so happy she’s crying!”

Skaterloo was confused why his mother responded to the drink like that. She wasn’t allergic to anything. The colt turned the bottle around, “Hot sauce?” he read, “But there are only sweets here why-” his thought was interrupted by Pinkie pushing the bottle and covered a cupcake in the spicy liquid.

“Ooooh!” The mare smiled before cramping the whole treat into her mouth.

After getting confused and some disgusted looks from the others around her, she replied, “What? It’s good.”

Skaterloo was still confused, especially when the other four mares from earlier just brushed it off.

“Hey Skates!” two voices shouted to get the colt’s attention.

The orange pegasus turned to see Lemon Hearts and Minuette squeaking through the crowd of ponies. With a smile, he ran to his mother’s friends.

Rainbow turned to Applejack, “So that little guy is her little brother, right?”

Applejack shook her head, “No, apparently he’s her adopted son.”

“Wait what!?” Rainbow nearly screamed, “Just how old is she? She didn’t seem any older than us!”

“She said she adopted him when she was 18 and he was 5. He’s 8 now so she’s 21.”

“Heh!” was all Rainbow could say.

The party went on and on much to Twilight’s annoyance. At least the door was muffling the overly loud music.

The door opened with Spike coming in. “Hey Twilight! Pinkie’s starting a game of ‘Pin the Tail on the Pony’. You should join us.”

Twilight turned. “No! All these ponies are CRAZY! Tell them I’ll come down when it’s QUIET! Do you even know what time it is!”

Spike simply replied, “It’s the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration. Everypony has to stay up or they’ll miss Princess Celestia raise the sun. Come on, lighten up Twilight. It’s a party and everyone celebrates loud today!”

Twilight still frustrated internally, repeated the ‘lighten up’ part a bit mockingly.

Not hearing the unicorn’s response, the dragon left muffling the music again.

Twilight sighed looking up at the moon the silhouette of mare clearly visible. “And here I thought I could learn all about the Elements of Harmony and how to help the Princess stop Nightmare Moon. Silly me all this ridiculous having to make friends stuff has to be more important than the potential fate of the entire country!” the mare ranted to no one in particular be. The legend of Nightmare Moon repeated in her head, “On the longest day of the 1000th year of the younger sister’s banishment the stars would aid in her escape and she would return to bring a nightmare eternal.” with that thought her mine drifted to Skaterloo how it affects him if Nightmare Moon returned. “I hope I’m wrong. I hope it is just an old mare’s tale.”

Skaterloo came into the room happily informing his mother, “Hey Mom! It’s almost time for the sunrise!”

Twilight perked from her bed. “Ok.”

The sunrise would be viewed from the town hall. The Princess would be there with her and a good number of Royal Guards, it should be the safest place in Equestria for that time. Hopefully.

Twilight managed to find her Canterlot friends standing amongst the crowd at the town hall. “So girls how did your day go?”

Moondancer smiled. “It went good.”

Minuette nodded. “Yeah, you should have come out of that room. That was a great party.”

Twilight internally sighed

“Hey!” Pinkie suddenly jumped beside Twilight. “I’m so excited for the sunrise! I’ve never been so excited except when I first saw you five but who could top meeting five new friends!”

“Yeah, that is hard to top,” Minuette responded.

At that moment, Fluttershy’s birds sang their fanfare for the ceremony to begin.

A light brown mane with grey mane stood in front of the crowd. “Fillies and Gentlecolts as Mayor of Ponyville, I, Mayor Mare, am greatly honoured to announce that Summer Sun Celebration is about to begin! In just a few moments we will all witness the magic of Princess Celestia raising the sun! Then we will celebrate the longest day of the year! Now may we all have the honour of welcoming our beloved ruler, the mare who brings us both the night and day, the wise, bringer of harmony throughout the land.....”

No one even took a breath to break the silent anticipation.

“Princess Celestia!” Mayor Mare exclaimed at last.

Fluttershy motioned her birds to sing again, as Rarity pulled open the currents to reveal... nothing.

In a near reversal of the room’s previous state, confused murmurs got louder and louder. Before anyone could get too wild, Mayor Mare assured, “Now, Now Everypony, I'm sure there’s a reasonable explanation for this.”

Pinkie smiled. “Oh! Oh! Maybe she’s hiding!”

Rarity checked the room the Princess was supposed to be in. It was more a formality so it was just a room with one staircase so no one can hide in. “Sh-she's GONE!”

The crowd now gasped.

“Ooooooh, she’s gooood!” Pinkie obliviously replied.

Twilight panicked and looked at the moon the silhouette that had been ingrained on the surface for years had disappeared. The moon was almost bare except for some visible craters.

“It’s real,” Twilight thought aloud, “Skaterloo stay close to me.”

Skaterloo was a little taken aback; his mother was usually a serious pony but this was different somehow. She was a lot more stern than she ever had before and almost fearful. The colt nodded and stepped closer to the unicorn clutching her forehoof in his.

At that moment, a dark blue cloud began to swirl around the altar where the Princess would have stood. In mere seconds, the cloud rose revealing an alicorn her mane was the cloud that had appeared and her coat was black as night.

“N-Nightmare Moon!” Twilight exclaimed to herself.

Spike fainted from shock.

Nightmare Moon chuckled, looking down on the ponies below. “Oh, my beloved subjects, it's been too long since I’ve seen your pitiful sun-loving faces!”

Rainbow shouted drawing everyone’s attention, “WHAT DID YOU DO TO OUR PRINCESS!?”

Applejack grabbed the pegasus’ tail holding her back. “Whoa there nelly!”

Nightmare glared at them. “Your ‘Princess? Am I not royal enough for you? Do you know who I am?”

Pinkie raised her hoof. “Oh! More guessing games! I know you’re Hokey Smokes? No! Queen Meanie? No! Black Snooty, Black Snooty-“ the mare guessed before she was stopped by Applejack covering her mouth with a hoof.

With a growl, the black alicorn responded, “Does my crown mean nothing? Do I not count as a Princess after 1000 years!” After getting some confused looks and murmurs from the ponies below, Nightmare Moon continued moving from Fluttershy to Rarity, her flowing mane flicking their faces, “Did you not hear the legend given to you? Did you not see the signs of my return?”

Twilight pulled Skaterloo close to keep him as safe as she possibly could. “I did! I know who you are! You’re the Mare in the Moon! Nightmare Moon!”

The entire crowd gasped.

“Y-you mean that old tale is true?” Mayor Mare asked, “The silhouette was a mare?”

“Just look at the moon!” Twilight said simply,

Most of the crowd did so only to gasp and some even a scream to see the silhouette they’d always seen had disappeared completely. No trace even visible.

Nightmare Moon laughed, “Wonderful. Somepony knows of me? So you must also know what my goal for Equestria is!

Twilight gulped, “You’re here to-to-“

Nightmare Moon smiled evilly. “Remember the sun today ponies because you will never see it again. You thought you were celebrating the longest day but that is not the case. The day will never come again! From now on the night will last FOREVER!”

The mare’s magic created thunder while her laugh echoed through the hall. Foals hid behind their parents. Skaterloo had tears peeking out of his eyes while he hid behind Twilight. Despite them trying to comfort the younger ponies the adults were just as terrified.

To be continued

Author's Note:

This takes place around 3 years after the last chapter.

One question I do plan to do chapters based on quite a few episodes. All of the villains will appear. I’ll mostly do the episodes that have Twilight and/or Scootaloo for obvious reasons. But with some episodes like episodes mostly negatively received (eg, Mysterious Mare Do Well) would anyone want to see slightly different versions not just the episodes with Scootaloo being a boy and Twilight’s son. (Some episodes won’t happen or at least happen the same like The Last Crusade for obvious reasons)

Editing: AzuraKeres

Comments ( 14 )

i want to see that

Why didn't you use the transcript? It would've made things a whole lot more similar to the show.

10660022

I did but I more used it as an outline than anything

wooo!
really like the change to the first episode, didnt feel a complet copy/paste, the few change felt really good and naturel :)

really good chapter :)

I'm pretty sure Mysterious Mare Do Well wasn't "mostly" negatively received. Sure, it could be considered controversial. But thanks to 28 Pranks Later, it's proven that even if they had told Rainbow what she was doing wrong, she wouldn't have listened. Rainbow Dash learns from experience, not book smarts. The others were trying to show RD that being a hero doesn't mean doing it for attention. If RD was a proper hero, she would've done it because it's the right thing to do. Therefore, if another hero comes and takes part of the attention away, a proper hero would accept it because now there are two heroes instead of one. Long story short (too late), RD getting jealous of MDW for taking the spotlight shows that RD wasn't being a hero for the right reasons.

Good chapter though. I enjoyed how Apple Bloom and Skaterloo teamed up to do double puppy eyes. There was no way Twilight was saying "no" to that.

10700317

Yes that’s how I see the episode too but it’s an example of one I might try to rework a bit

10700481
Well, I see nothing wrong with reworking it. It's not like it has to be a carbon copy.

10700481
Are you still working on part 2?

10946381
Yes I’m just really busy irl as well as having a bit of writers block

10946442
You might ask for anyone to be your co writer for your series.

10968469
I don’t know if that would work for me personally. But I’m less busy now so I’ll have more time for a little while

Comment posted by dream1990 deleted Oct 14th, 2021

hey

Ace Pony Stories

when will part 2 be finished

More good

Login or register to comment