• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 4,045 Views, 59 Comments

Small Wings and a Kind Heart - jdb1984



While trying to help, Cheerilee finds out about how Scootaloo is living.

  • ...
8
 59
 4,045

Chapter 6

"Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom called out, as she approached the clubhouse. "Scootaloo, are you in here?"

It was a couple of hours after Scootaloo took off. When Cheerilee found out, she went to Twilight, who organized a search party with her friends. The two pegasi searched from above, Twilight and Pinkie on the ground, while Rarity and Applejack stayed with their sisters. Cheerilee wanted to help too, but Twilight sent her home, in case she decided to return.

Apple Bloom, on a hunch, decided to try the clubhouse, and found Scootaloo sitting in the middle of their thinking spot.

"What are ya doin' here, Scootaloo. Everypony is lookin' for you," Apple Bloom asked.

"Thinking about what I'm doing next," Scootaloo answered. "Miss Cheerilee wants to adopt me..."

"She does?" Apple Bloom cut in. "Scootaloo, that's great ta hear."

"It's just...I may have to leave Ponyville for a few months. And if Miss Cheerilee doesn't get accepted...it may be forever," Scootaloo finished.

“Oh...ah see.”

"And how exactly do ya plan on staying here in Ponyville?" Applejack suddenly said, appearing at one of the windows. "Your friends, and their sisters, know what’s goin’ on. Rainbow Dash does as well. And ahm sorry, but ahm not lettin’ you live in the clubhouse. Too many ponies know you and your situation, and would drag you back in an instant if they knew you ran off. So you wouldn’t be able to stay in Ponyville, and you’ll never see the others again."

"But...but I...” Scootaloo stammered

“We only want what’s best for you, Scootaloo. Though sometimes it may not seem like it,” Applejack continued, her voice kinder. “I know it’ll be tough leaving your friends for a few months, but you can always write to them. Once you do get adopted, by Cheerilee or some other family, you may get to see your friends again.”

Before anyone could say anything else, the chest in the clubhouse popped open to reveal Pinkie inside. She looked around, and broke into a smile at seeing Scootaloo there.

“Hey, Scootaloo. Everypony's been looking all over for you. High, low, near, and far. And now, here you are,” she said.

“Pinkie, ah have this under control,” Applejack cut in. “Just tell Twilight we found her, and she’s okay.”

“Okie dokie lokie,” Pinkie answered, before ducking inside the chest again.

“Now I know I’ve been in Ponyville a while,” Scootaloo mentioned, as the chest closed. “I actually thought that was normal.”

“Normal for her,” Applejack answered. “Anyways, what are you going to do now? Go back to Cheerilee and leave for a couple months, or keep runnin’ from your problems?”

Scootaloo stayed sitting and thought for a minute. What Applejack said made sense, and she’d rather leave for a few months and possibly come back, than to be sure to leave forever. And she didn’t want to repay Cheerilee’s kindness with her running off. After a minute, she stood up.

“I’m going back to Cheerilee,” she declared.

---
Scootaloo hesitated when she walked up to Cheerilee’s door. She knew that Cheerilee would be relieved to see her. But what about after she finds out she’s ok? Would she ground her to her room? Decide she’s too much trouble and stop the adoption process?

“Only one way to find out,” she thought, knocking on the door.

The door opened to show a worried looking Cheerilee. Her hair was a bit of a mess, and she looked a bit tired as well. But as soon as she saw it was Scootaloo, she swept her up in her front hooves and squeezed her in a tight embrace.

“Scootaloo, I was so worried. Don’t ever run off like that again.” Cheerilee said.

“And I’m sorry for running off,” Scootaloo answered, as Cheerilee placed her on the ground.

“You’re not hurt? No injuries, nothing attacked you?” Cheerilee asked, looking her over.

“I’m fine, Cheerilee,” Scootaloo answered.

“Oh, good,” Cheerilee answered, then turned on her angry teacher face. “Now young filly, what exactly were you thinking?”

Scootaloo gulped a bit. It was going to be a long night.

---

The next day passed by quickly. Soon, Scootaloo was leaving the schoolhouse with the other two Crusaders. Applejack and Rarity were out front to pick up their sisters, and were standing with another mare.

The grey mare looked a good deal older than either of them. Her orange mane and tail was dotted with grey hairs, and she had a pony family for her cutie mark, showing her skill at family mediation and finding a home for young foals.

"Mrs. Good Home," Scootaloo said, recognizing her from her time at the orphanage.

"Hello there, Scootaloo," Good Home replied, then gasped. "My, you've grown in the last couple of years."

"Thanks," she said, then turned to her friends. "I guess I won't be seeing either of you until the adoption is finalized...so...I guess this is goodbye for now."

"Actually, that may not happen," Good Home said.

"Huh?" Scootaloo asked.

"After our parents died, Granny Smith was considered too old to take care of Apple Bloom and myself," Applejack replied. "Luckily, Big Mac stepped in and fought for custody of the two of us. Turns out his papers were still on file, so after an interview with the three of us, they decided we were fit to take care of you until the adoption goes through."

As her words sank in, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo slowly looked at each other, before all three Crusaders broke out into large smiles and shared a group hug.

"This is great," Apple Bloom said.

"Definitely 20% cooler," Scootaloo replied, borrowing one of her idol's catchphrases.

"I don't know if you should celebrate too much just yet. You still owe me a lot o' apples, so be ready to bust that flank o' yours." Applejack mentioned

'It'll be worth it, as long as I can stay in Ponyville with my friends," Scootaloo answered, then turned to the other two. "Who's up for babysitting cutie marks? Maybe we can convince the Cakes to let us take care of Pound and Pumpkin for a while."

All three of them clapped their hooves together, yelling “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS BABYSITTING! YAY!”

Applejack just sighed and shook her head, as the three fillies headed towards Sugarcube Corner.

The End

Author's Note:

I finally got this done. I was planning to release this by Christmas. Then it got changed to New Years. But despite a computer virus and personal stuff slowing me down, I finally was able to finish this story.

Hope you enjoyed, and be sure to read my blog for important information concerning my next story.

Comments ( 9 )

*wipes tear of joy*

I am glad this ended on a good happy note

That's it? no more? well darn

That ending was great, I didn't know I was capable of such feels :raritycry: I'm glad it had a happy ending, and Scootaloo being adopted is probably something they could actually work in to the show to acknowledge that she's an orphan, but still keep it light enough. We had subtle confirmation about AJ's dead parents, maybe now we'll get some on Scootaloo's situation.

Scootaloo gulped a bit. It was going to be a long night.

Yeah, winter tends to do that to you... BUT IT'S SUMMER

Awww...now I want more story of Cheerilee taking care of her

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW *deep breath* AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Great fic, can't wait for more of your stories. :scootangel:

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Small Wings and a Kind Heart

Author: jdb1984

Reviewed by: BronyWriter

Short Form: Frustrated by her inability to fly, Scootaloo stays behind after school to talk to Cheerilee about it, a conversation that goes places she didn’t want it to go and reveals dark secrets about Scootaloo’s past in a story that has been written a hundred times before and it won’t be the last either. It’s a story that suffers just as much from its flaws as it does from what it showed it could be.

Full Review

Rating: 5.5/10

Login or register to comment