• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 4,045 Views, 59 Comments

Small Wings and a Kind Heart - jdb1984



While trying to help, Cheerilee finds out about how Scootaloo is living.

  • ...
8
 59
 4,045

Chapter 3

“Okay, so if we add 3+3+3, we get the same answer as if we multiplied 3x3. But adding them together like that, especially with larger numbers, can take a long time. That’s how multiplication helps, by helping us add together equal groups faster than addition would,” Cheerilee explained in class the next day. “So if I have 4 groups of 5 bits...”

“Miss Cheerilee,” Apple Bloom interrupted, raising a hoof. “Sorry ta interrupt, but it’s getting ta be about time for recess.”

“Oh, is it noon already?” Cheerilee answered, looking out the window to see she was right. “Okay, everyone can go outside. Scootaloo, I want you to stay a moment. I’ll call you in when it’s time to continue the lesson.”

“Horsefeathers. What did I do now?” Scootaloo thought, as all the other foals went out the door. After everyone left, and before Cheerilee could say anything, Scootaloo said, “Whatever I did, Miss Cheerilee, I’m sorry, and I promise it...”

“Scootaloo, you’re not in trouble,” Cheerilee cut in.

“...Oh,” was all Scootaloo answered with.

“What I actually wanted to ask was about your scooter,” she continued. “I found it yesterday, and I know how much it meant to you. I wanted to make sure you were able to retrieve it from the Apple residence. I also want to know what you were doing in the area.”

“I got it back. And I was...” Scootaloo answered, taking a half a second to think of what to say. “...off exploring” Kind of hard to use a scooter when you’re blazing your own trail.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re safe, and that you got your scooter back,” Cheerilee answered. “But doing that is kind of dangerous, especially without one of your friends around to help you if something happened. Do your parents know you’re doing this?”

Dang it, she brought up my parents again. What do I say this time? Ah, I got it.

“They don’t know much about how I spend my free time,” Scootaloo answered. “They know about my friends, and my crusading, but not much past that.”

"Really? I think that your parents should take more interest than that. You're a wonderful little filly, Scootaloo, and anypony should be proud to have you as their daughter. I’ll let you go now, so you don’t miss the entire recess,” Cheerilee said.

As Scootaloo ran outside, Cheerilee watched as she met up with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, and they walked off to another part of the playground. Her face had a worried frown, as she watched.

I never met her parents, or seen them show up for anything. According to Scootaloo, they were even too busy for Family Appreciation Day. Something’s off, and I don’t like it. Maybe I should take the initiative.

---
“So neither of you know where Scootaloo lives,” Cheerilee asked two fillies after school.

Both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle shook their heads almost simultaneously.

“She never told us. We’ve asked to go over to her place, but she just tells us something that really sounded more like an excuse and drops the whole thing. When we meet her for crusading, we meet up with her at the clubhouse or one of our homes,” Sweetie replied.

“Is something wrong?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It’s nothing you need to worry about now. Just go and have fun,” Cheerilee replied.

As the two of them left the school, Cheerilee leaned back a bit in her chair, going over her options. Ignoring it was out of the question, and she had nothing to take to the authorities except for speculation. In her eyes, the only real option was to talk with Scootaloo’s parents herself, and the only way she could do that was to ask Scootaloo for her address.

---
The next day was a Friday. As it neared the end of the day, everyone became anxious, wanting to just get out and enjoy the weekend.

Finally, Cheerilee announced, "Everyone can go now. Remember, those assignments are due Monday."

Barely anyone heard the second part, as they all raced for the door. As the Crusaders started to walk out together, Cheerilee said, “Scootaloo, I want you to stay a moment.”

“But...” Scootaloo started to protest.

“We’ll be right outside. Ya can be sure we’ll be waitin’ when you finish up whatever it is,” Apple Bloom said, as the two of them stepped outside.

As soon as the door closed, Cheerilee looked down at Scootaloo, with a mixture of concern and worry, as she said, “Scootaloo, I think it’s important for me to talk to your parents. The fact that they don’t seem to have much interest in their own daughter concerns me. So I want to talk to them as soon as possible.”

“They...get very busy with their jobs...” Scootaloo replied, her brain going into panic mode.

“That’s why I want to talk to them sometime over the weekend. I only have your best interests at heart, Scootaloo,” Cheerilee replied. “But if you want me to be able to help you, I need to know where you live.”

“I...I...” she stammered, not sure what to say. Nobody has tried so hard to find out her life, and she couldn’t think of an answer to give. So she felt it was time to come clean. “I’m an orphan. My parents...are dead.”

Cheerilee was frozen in stunned silence, hearing the last thing she suspected, as Scootaloo looked like she wanted to cry. She stood up and walked over to the filly, sweeping her up in a hug with her front hooves.

“I’m sorry...I...I didn’t know.” Cheerilee whispered, just holding Scootaloo, before another thought crossed her mind. “Is there anypony taking care of you?”

---
“Can you hear anything?” Sweetie Belle whispered to Apple Bloom.

After waiting for what seemed to them like a long time (which wasn’t all that long in reality), Apple Bloom suggested that she should try and listen in. Despite the fact that Sweetie Belle was against the idea, considering it an invasion of privacy, she was curious to know what they were saying.

“If ya shut your apple pie hole, ah could probably hear them,” Apple Bloom replied, before pressing her ear against the door again.

---
“I...I’ve been taking care...of myself,” Scootaloo replied through her sobs. “I’ve been...sleeping at the...clubhouse, bathing...at a secluded river, and I’ve...been getting food...by stealing from Sweet Apple Acres."

---
“WHAT DID SHE SAY?” Apple Bloom roared, as her anger peaked,. She only heard the last part, but it’s all she felt she needed.

“What? What is it?” Sweetie Belle asked, surprised at her sudden outburst.

“Nothin’ you need to concern yourself with. Ahm handling this.” Apple Bloom replied.