• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 4,045 Views, 59 Comments

Small Wings and a Kind Heart - jdb1984



While trying to help, Cheerilee finds out about how Scootaloo is living.

  • ...
8
 59
 4,045

Chapter 5

As Scootaloo woke up the next day, she looked around at the yellow walls of Cheerilee’s guest room. It was pretty bare, with only a bed, a small table, and a candle. Since it was mostly empty, Scootaloo brought her scooter in, cleaned up and shining in the sunlight. As she slid out of bed, she thought about what she and her fellow crusaders...

Oh, wait, that’s right. Apple Bloom doesn’t want anything to do with her.

At least Cheerilee’s place was nice, if a little small. She was able to get herself a nice bath, a meal that didn’t consist of only apples, and a more comfortable place to sleep. As she walked out into the living room, she saw Cheerilee packing a lunch, and a stack of hay pancakes waiting for her.

“Good morning, Scootaloo,” Cheerilee said. “I figured you would spend your day crusading, so I decided to pack a lunch to take with you.”

“Thanks, but I’m probably not a crusader anymore,” Scootaloo replied, as she sat down and took a bite. “Apple Bloom probably would be happy if she never saw me again.”

“Don’t say that, Scootaloo, I’m sure...” Cheerilee started, before a knock on the door interrupted her.

“I wonder who that could be?” Cheerilee muttered, as she walked over and opened the door.

As she talked to whoever was at the other end, Scootaloo just concentrated on eating. But as she heard the door close, a familiar voice made her turn to see Apple Bloom was inside. As she got up, Apple Bloom stepped closer to her pegasus friend.

“Scootaloo, ah came over to apologise,” Apple Bloom said.

“But I’m the one that should apologise to you,” Scootaloo replied, closing the distance between them. “I’m the one that was stealing.”

“Ah know, but ah should have listened to your side of the story, instead of losing my temper like that,” Apple Bloom said. “So, ahm sorry for yelling at you, banning you from my home, and pretty much kicking you out of the crusaders.”

“And I’m sorry for stealing. I should have found a better way to get food, and I’ll make it up to you and your family someday,” Scootaloo said.

After a hug from both of them, they took a look at each other’s flank. As always, they were a solid orange and yellow. They both looked a little disappointed that they didn’t get cutie marks in making up.

“What would a making up cutie mark look like anyway?” Scootaloo asked.

“Ah don’t know...maybe ponies shaking hooves. Though ahm glad I didn’t get one like that. Ah would hate to be able to only show off my talent by gettin’ into arguments."

Scootaloo nodded in agreement, as the two of them started to leave. Cheerilee watched them as they walked off, talking about what crazy stunt they plan to pull next.
---

The weekend passed quickly, full of unsuccessful crusades and the usual misadventures. Sunday night came, and Scootaloo was finishing up some homework, when Cheerilee sat down in front of her.

"Scootaloo, we need to talk a moment," she said.

"What about?" Scootaloo replied.

"About what will happen tomorrow," Cheerilee told her. "I can't let you go back to how you were living, and you don't want to leave Ponyville and your friends. So I went to the orphanage you used to live, and looked into adopting you. They already have the process started."

"Y...you...want to...adopt me?" Scootaloo stammered out, before stepping to her and wrapping her teacher in the biggest hug she could manage.

"I'm not going to lie, though. This whole process will take a minimum of three months to be finalized, and there's no guarantee that I'll be accepted. In the meantime, we need to have somewhere for you to stay."

A silence hung over the two of them, as Scootaloo thought about it. Then, slowly, realization dawned on her face.

"So...I...may have to...go back to the orphanage?" Scootaloo stammered out.

“I have tried discussing alternative arrangements with them, and they said they'll look into it," Cheerilee answered. "But, for your own good...yes, you may have to."

"I...I...no. No, I can't leave. I have my friends here. I have you here. I don’t want to leave," she cried.

She ran off into the guest room and slammed the door shut. Cheerilee thought it was best to leave her alone for a while, and gave her the space she needed.
---
"Why did this have to happen?" she wondered, slamming a hoof on the nearby wall.

Though she had to admit to herself, the orphanage wasn’t a horrible place. She was taken care of, she was fed, and had a bed to sleep in. None of them were truly mistreated, except for the “no flying or magic” rule. Unfortunately, some of the other foals there were not so kind.

Her mind drifted to one of the memories she had when she was out on the playground...

"Hey, Scootaloo, why don't you scoot on out of here. This is our spot," a voice said

Scootaloo turned to see a brown unicorn colt named Strong Hoof and his two cronies. One of them was Orange Aura, an orange unicorn filly. The other was Blue Blur, a dark blue earth pony.

None of them were much older than Scootaloo was then, and none of them had cutie marks. But they were well known bullies among the other kids. They struck whenever teachers were distracted with something else, and it was always their word against one.

“Did you hear me? I said MOVE!” Strong Hoof yelled, flicking her orange tail in irritation.

Normally, Scootaloo would have listened. She would move away, and they would occupy the spot until everypony was brought back in, the teachers and supervisors none the wiser. But for some reason, she felt an unexpected bravery rise up in her.

“Last I looked, you’re not one of the teachers,” she said.

They looked surprised for a brief moment, not expecting her to talk back. But then they looked angry, as the three of them quickly surrounded her.

"Time for you to learn your place, runt,” Blue Blur yelled, as he pushed her.

Orange Aura caught her, and then shoved her into Strong Hoof. Scootaloo was pushed back and forth between them, as if she was the ball in a game of four square. Finally, one missed, and she landed hard in the dirt. Strong Hoof put a hoof on her back and used magic to pull out one of her wings for them to see, as Scootaloo cried softly.

"Hey, look at these little chicken wings," he said. "I don't think you'll ever be flying with these things. Might as well have them sliced off."

I...I will...someday...and I'll be like that pony that made a Sonic Rainboom," she sobbed, but the other three simply laughed.

"This little filly believes in fairy tales," Orange Aura declared. "Come on, you two, we wasted enough time with this chicken already."

"See you around," Strong Hoof laughed.

---
Making a decision, she opened the window and slid her scooter out to the ground outside. Thankful that the house was all on one floor, she slid out the window herself. Strapping her helmet on, she revved up her wings and sped off into the evening.