• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 4,045 Views, 59 Comments

Small Wings and a Kind Heart - jdb1984



While trying to help, Cheerilee finds out about how Scootaloo is living.

  • ...
8
 59
 4,045

Chapter 2

“Ooof.”

“Owww.”

“Uhhh.”

The three Cutie Mark Crusaders looked up just in time to see their attempt at a foundation pull away from the tree it was nailed to, and fall to the ground in a pile of planks and nails. They picked up their sap-covered bodies from the ground and stared at the pile.

“That is our personal TLC. A totally lost cause,” Scootaloo told the others.

“I guess we can forget about Cutie Mark Crusader Treehouse Builders,” Sweetie mentioned.

“We don’t need ta be able to build treehouses anyway. We already have our clubhouse,” Apple Bloom added. “Anyways, I have ta get home. Ah need a bath, and Granny Smith will be upset if am late for dinner again.”

“I have to get back and in the bathtub too, before Rarity sees me like this,” Sweetie mentioned.

“Okay, bye.” Scootaloo said.

They waved at each other before going their separate ways. Scootaloo started to walk off, then turned and looked back at the other two. Sweetie was walking, Apple Bloom was running, but they both had someone to greet them when they got home. Scootaloo sighed, wishing she had what they have.
---
As Apple Bloom approached the door to her home, she was surprised when it opened and a familiar mare walked out. One she wasn’t expecting to see until the next day.

“Miss Cheerilee?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Oh, hi Apple Bloom. After Family Appreciation Day, I’ve been interested in the history of Ponyville. Since your granny was alive at the time, I’ve been listening to her stories about the town’s history,” she explained, before looking her over. “I see you’ve been busy crusading.”

“Yeah, but no luck,” Apple Bloom replied, considering her sap-covered body and still blank flank.

“Well, I’m sure the three of you will get your marks someday soon,” Cheerilee answered. “See you in class tomorrow,”

“Bye, Miss Cheerilee,” Apple Bloom yelled after her.
---
As Cheerilee cut through the Apple’s orchard on her way to her own house, she noticed a familiar looking scooter leaned against a tree, not far off the Apple family property. Knowing there was nothing there except some trees and a nearby river, she went over for a closer look.

As she got closer, she could make out more distinguishing features. As she got to the scooter, there was no doubt in her mind. She’s seen it enough times to know who it belonged to.

“This is Scootaloo’s scooter,” she thought. “But where’s Scootaloo?”

---
Just out of sight of her teacher, Scootaloo was using the river to wash the sap off her body and wings. The current was pretty strong, but not strong enough to sweep her off her feet. Stepping out of the water, she shook herself off and walked off, letting the sun dry what water remained. As she got closer to her scooter, she heard a familiar voice.

“Scootaloo, are you here?” she heard Cheerilee call out.

She dived behind a bush, not really caring if she got herself dirty again. She peeked out to see her teacher standing by her scooter, looking around for any sign of her. Scootaloo knew that if she stepped out, she would have to explain what she was doing there. And that was not something she was prepared for.

“It seems kind of foalish to be scared of my own teacher. But I can’t tell anyone how I’m living,” she thought to herself. “I don’t want to go back.”

“Scootaloo, if you can hear me, I’m taking your scooter to Apple Bloom’s place. I know how important it is to you, so I don’t want you to lose it,” Cheerilee called out.

“It’s one of the only thing I really own,” Scootaloo thought

She sighed with relief as she watched Cheerilee roll the scooter towards the farm. Once she was gone, Scootaloo looked down at the new dirt that was clinging to her wet fur, before stepping in the river a second time.
---

As night began to fall, Scootaloo made her way to a path that lead her straight to the Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse. After walking up the stairs and letting herself in, she glanced around at the empty feel that the clubhouse had when she was alone. Alone, like she was every night.

“Home sweet home,” she thought bitterly.

Opening her saddlebags, she dumped out the contents on the table, including five apples. She stole them from Sweet Apple Acres earlier that day, and apples were basically her entire diet. She hated the fact she was stealing, especially from one of her friend’s families. But she had to eat to survive, and Sweet Apple Acres seemed to be the easiest place to do it. Picking an apple up, she reluctantly took a bite.

---

Once she was done eating, she cleaned up and proceeded to lie down on the table. She spread her Cutie Mark Crusader cape over herself like a blanket, thankful that it was the right size to cover almost her entire body with it. With no parents or siblings to tuck her in or sing her to sleep, she did the singing for herself.

We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders
On a quest to find out who we are
And we will never stop the journey
Not until we have our cutie marks.

As she finished up the verse of their Cutie Mark theme song, she sighed, as she looked around at the empty clubhouse. The song just didn’t seem to have the same spirit when she was the only one here, without her friends to sing along. With that thought, she drifted off into an uneasy sleep.